The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Rumour has it that Blair Mowat will replace Gold for scoring in Series 11. He most recently composed the music for the spinoff series Class.

If the rumour is true, it will be extremely disappointing.

I'm going to be honest.  I've rarely noticed or paid attention to Gold's music for the show.  I'm more likely to notice when his music is wrong for a scene, which it frequently is.  He's done some good work that I have noticed and liked, but often his music is overbearing and cringeworthy.  I look forward to a new composer.

Gold's work for the show has produced some of the best orchestral/symphonic music for television in the last decade. If he wants to leave, fine, but don't replace him with someone who can't produce the same quality!

10 hours ago, Arpy said:

Rumour has it that Blair Mowat will replace Gold for scoring in Series 11. He most recently composed the music for the spinoff series Class.

Oh. I watched that series, hoping for something not too bad.

But I couldn't make heads nor trails of anything.

Seriously, what was the point?

Music didn't exactly impress me either.

I'm pretty much assuming now that any hope of seeing a release of anything from season 9 or 10 is now lost.

It's huge shame, because comparing to his first release (two seasons on one CD), he's now got a popular license to put out just about anything he wants and it will sell. And now, it appears that he's stopped caring about releasing it.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm pretty much assuming now that any hope of seeing a release of anything from season 9 or 10 is now lost.

It's huge shame, because comparing to his first release (two seasons on one CD), he's now got a popular license to put out just about anything he wants and it will sell. And now, it appears that he's stopped caring about releasing it.

I think Gold has had some personal matters that have delayed a release of 9 and probably 10. I don't think that means we'll never see a release as the property is massive for DW and the soundtracks do sell. Most likely the release will happen the end of this year or sometime next year. Do the Christmas specials together and the two seasons separately.

Started watching Fourth Doctor story 'The Invisible Enemy' earlier today ... amongst the cast was Michael Sheard, who coincidentally was also in the last 'classic era' story I watched   (Third Doctor tale 'The Mind Of Evil'). 

He was also in Star Wars, and was Hitler in Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade. 

17 hours ago, Arpy said:

I don't think that means we'll never see a release as the property is massive for DW and the soundtracks do sell.

Agreed. Even if Gold should have lost all interest, the fact that each series and each special up to series 8 got a release, with double and even triple CD sets for the later ones, clearly indicates that these things sell and the responsible departments are happy to finance extensive soundtrack albums. I think it's more a matter of when, and how extensive if a different team is responsible for producing it.

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Started watching Fourth Doctor story 'The Invisible Enemy' earlier today ... amongst the cast was Michael Sheard, who coincidentally was also in the last 'classic era' story I watched   (Third Doctor tale 'The Mind Of Evil'). 

He was also in Star Wars, and was Hitler in Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade. 

Mr. Sheard is also The Portreeve, in CASTROVALVA, and a Dalek agent in REMEMBERENCE OF THE DALEKS.

Breaking convention for the sake of breaking convention? I remember the last time an old dude wanted to be The Doctor's companion. The Doctor said he traveled alone. Next piece of ass that came along was ushered into the TARDIS...

I don't know this actor but something about this idea would be disappointing to me.

The usual complaint about the companions is usually more along the lines of always being from modern day Britain, I don't mind if they tend to be women.

1 hour ago, Brónach said:

The usual complaint about the companions is usually more along the lines of always being from modern day Britain, I don't mind if they tend to be women.

The Doctor minds.

Just learned about the Bradley Walsh companion rumour, and honestly guys this fella would be a great left field piece of casting. He'd be very cool and most entertaining! 

Even I'd be tempted to give this show another go, again. 

Yeah ... I have to keep reminding myself that he's acted in the past, he hasn't always been 'Mr Daytime Quiz Show'.

I had my qualms about Catherine Tate's casting, and she turned out great. So we'll see ... it's still unconfirmed officially at this stage.   

• 2 weeks later...

Never watched it either. Torchwood was a little too 'try hard' during its first 2 seasons but still watchable, excellent for its 3rd and then badly dropped the ball during its 4th (to this day, I haven't seen the last half of that season). Only watched the Sarah-Jane episodes that had Doctor appearances.  

With the failure of 'Class', maybe that's the end (at least on TV) of the attempts to expand the 'Whoniverse'.      

I managed to watch Class when it aired, I think I was willing to at least give it a chance and boy, oh boy was it a mixed bag of a series. Not altogether terrible, the show had a few ambitious ideas that really were too bizarre and muddled to accomplish in one series (and as crudely as they did). A small thing I enjoyed from the season and something that was unfortunately eschewed for terrible alien shenanigans was the relationship of the group of kids. It was growing and If they had pushed that angle before diving into the alien side of things I think it could've been more successful. Which is why I think the show failed. If you don't centre it on a strong group of characters first and foremost, then you've lost the footing of having us care about any alien threat levied against them.

It had a few moments of maturity that Torchwood brought to the Whoniverse but it ended up being dampened by a lack of focus; It's a shame because it was a show made with the best of intentions and the group of actors who portrayed the kids were all good and there were some interesting ideas here and there.

I guess it's a problem with the idea from the beginning because Doctor Who has always tried to introduce us to aliens and historic events through the eyes of the Doctor and his companions that when the emotional and strong characterisation is developed, it has an impact and makes the stories have more weight. Moral questions are raised and the Doctor for better or worse has to make those choices. Class from the beginning is unfocused, it doesn't have the confidence that has come with Doctor Who which has nearly sixty years of experience and familiarity for us to accept it. 

21 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

I was really hoping for an Amy/Rory spinoff.

Paternoster Gang for me. The further adventures of Strax, Jenny and Madam Vastra? Yes please.  

• 3 weeks later...

Official synopsis for the Xmas special.

Spoiler

Two Doctors stranded in a forbidding snowscape, refusing to face regeneration. And a British army captain seemingly destined to die in the First World War, but taken from the trenches to play his part in the Doctor’s story. This is the magical last chapter in the Twelfth Doctor’s epic adventure. He must face his past to decide his future. And the Doctor will realise the resilience of humanity, discovering hope in his darkest frozen moment. It’s the end of an era. But the Doctor’s journey is only just beginning.

I'm so excited for this.

53 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Hide contents

a British army captain seemingly destined to die in the First World War, but taken from the trenches to play his part in the Doctor’s story.

Spoiler

Was this just Gatiss writing himself in as the Brigadier or something? :D

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm so excited for this.

It sounds like THE WAR GAMES writ small. I hope that Polly and Ben are in it.

I wonder if this ties-in with the whole pocket-watch/WWI thing?