The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

20 hours ago, Richard said:

That's my thought, too, right down to the 'tache! 

Let's hope that he turns in a better performance in this one, than he did in THE LAZARUS EXPERIMENT. He tried a little too hard, then.

I enjoyed that one ... best bits were Martha saying that Ten 'looked like James Bond' in his tux, and him looking incredulous and then quite pleased and the later 'I had to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow ... took me a while, it's been ages'.  

I'm almost fully caught up with Doctor Who (2005-present). All I have left are the last six episodes of season 10, which I've been holding off on finishing up for like ever now. It means that very soon, like the rest of you, I'll be forced to watch this show when it airs on telly and actually wait for new episodes...

I'd like to thank my ex...whatever for getting me into this show.

17 hours ago, The Doctor said:

I'm almost fully caught up with Doctor Who (2005-present). All I have left are the last six episodes of season 10, which I've been holding off on finishing up for like ever now. It means that very soon, like the rest of you, I'll be forced to watch this show when it airs on telly and actually wait for new episodes...

I'd like to thank my ex...whatever for getting me into this show.

A work friend has, over the past while, been doing this ... he's currently about halfway through the 2015 season. It's been a lot of fun to chat about it with someone to whom it's all new ... with every newly-minted Whovian, the world becomes a less shitty place IMHO.   

My almost-final analysis:

- 9 and 12 are my favorite Doctors

- Clara is my favorite companion and for sure Capaldi and Jenna Coleman had the best chemistry

- Not a Pond fan

- A lot of people seem to to criticize 12's episodes, but 11's were weakest for me. His first season was pretty good, but the show became ludicrous and many episodes were nearly unwatchable

- Season 8 is my favorite season and I would argue the strongest overall

- 10 is a bit overrated

- I feel like they basically ruined River Song in the time between her introduction and the last one she did with 12

- 9's regeneration was the best

Home video details for Season 10

image.php?pid=25399

BBC Worldwide have released details on the release of Series 10, Peter Capaldi’s final series as the Doctor, as a complete set, available on Monday 13th November. 

In Series 10, the Doctor is keen to show his new friend, Bill Potts, the wonders of the universe, and their travels bring them face-to-face with Ice Warriors and Cybermen. His adventures draw to a terrifying conclusion as a long lost face from the past returns. 

The Complete DVD and Blu-ray will include the extras listed below:

• Becoming the Companion
  • Travel with new companion Pearl Mackie from the London stage through the doors of the TARDIS to a once-in-a-lifetime role, or as Pearl says, “the most insane thing that's ever happened to me.” Featuring exclusive interviews with Pearl, Peter Capaldi, and Steven Moffat. Narrated by Ingrid Oliver.
  • Out of This World
  • As Pearl Mackie steps aboard the TARDIS for her first adventure as Bill Potts, Ingrid Oliver (Osgood in Series 8 and 9) looks back at the debuts of the Doctor’s recent companions. What can we learn from their first voyages on the TARDIS, coming face to face with their first monster, and their first encounters with the mysterious stranger called the Doctor?
  • Smile
  • Acclaimed writer Frank Cottrell-Boyce is back for Bill’s first big adventure into the future, and Frank provides a unique insight into the writing and filming of this chilling episode, along with the perks of the job! Featuring interviews with Peter Capaldi, Pearl Mackie and Steven Moffat, and narrated by Ingrid Oliver.
  • …Who’s There?
  • We creep silently through this spooky adventure as writer Mike Bartlett and Director Bill Anderson reveal the secrets of how to make a truly scary episode of Doctor Who. And find out why they couldn’t have chosen a more terrifying location… Featuring interviews with David Suchet, Peter Capaldi and Pearl Mackie. Narrated by Ingrid Oliver.
  • Rona Munro – A Modern Classic
  • No writer has ever penned an episode of both classic Doctor Who and the new series – until now! Rona Munro, writer of the 1989’s Survival, explores the similarities between her classic and modern episodes. And Peter, Pearl and Steven turn their eagle eyes on an ancient mystery! Narrated by Ingrid Oliver.
  • Doctor Who: The Fan Show – After Shows
  • Join Christel Dee and a host of Doctor Who actors, writers and creatives to discuss the making of Series 10, and most importantly, assess the intensity of TARDIS crew’s hairstyles along the way, in this original companion show.
  • Doctor Who: The Finale Countdown
  • Interview with Pearl Mackie and unseen film footage from the Concert
  • Knock Knock binaural sound
  • The Binaural Sound edition of episode 4, ‘Knock, Knock’. Binaural Sound gives an immersive spatial sound experience for headphone listeners.
  • Doctor Who Extra: The Return of Doctor Mysterio
  • Behind-the-scenes of the Series 9 Christmas Special.
  • The Doctor: A New Kind of Hero
  • A short documentary that accompanied The Return of Doctor Mysterio, which lookss at the character of the Doctor and how he’s a unique hero.
  • The Finale Falls
  • Behind-the-scenes of the Series 10 finale.
  • Inside Looks
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Audio Commentaries

Does anyone have the faintest clue if there will be an "all in one" box set containing seasons 1-10 plus specials for the new series?

I've been trying to figure out which exact discs to buy to get it all, but it's very nearly rocket science to figure that out for some reason. :blink:

It's been a while (Series 7 maybe?) since they did a complete box.

Buying "The Complete Series ______" releases for 1-10, plus the release "The Complete Specials" (which compiles the four specials after series 4 but before series 5) should get you everything.  Always go "Complete Series" - avoid the half-series releases (i.e. Series 7 Part 1 and Part 2) because they don't include their respective holiday specials

And I guess "Twice Upon a Time" the upcoming Xmas special will have to be bought separately since they're putting out the Complete Series 10 release before it.  It certainly wouldn't be included with the Series 11 release since they never cross Doctors on these home video sets.

I still haven't seen beyond the third episode of series 9, but I'm excited to binge them eventually, when time presents itself.  My spouse dropped out at the end of S8.  Might be able to talk her into watching again with a new doctor, though.

My wife also lost a lot of interest with the Capaldi era.  She watched them all with me, but never was very enthusiastic for him, even as he got much more friendly and good-natured with series 9 and 10.

I really liked what I saw of Capaldi, but I lost my viewing partner and gained a kid, so I just couldn't keep up.  Thankfully, being as far behind as I am, I likely won't find myself anxiously awaiting the next episode/season as I was for much of the Matt Smith era anytime soon (I was a latecomer and got to binge S1-4).

I discovered the show in the summer of 2007, between the end of the Martha season and the Titanic Xmas special.

It was awful back then because I didn't have cable and it was still when Sci Fi channel waited months to air them anyway.  Keeping up with the show via crappy multi-part Youtube uploads that would get taken down.

51 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Buying "The Complete Series ______" releases for 1-10, plus the release "The Complete Specials" (which compiles the four specials after series 4 but before series 5) should get you everything.  Always go "Complete Series" - avoid the half-series releases (i.e. Series 7 Part 1 and Part 2) because they don't include their respective holiday specials

Oh, those actually include the specials? Brilliant!

I've been wondering about that because the information on the internet tends to be a bit mum on the contents of the boxes.

Thank you very much. :D

One of the coolest moments I've ever seen with that character is when he scares off those executioners or whatever that were going to remove Missy's ability to regenerate by having them look up his kill count.

Yeah!  "Extremis" was such a cool episode.  Then "The Pyramid at the End of the World" was really neat.  Then "The Lie of the Land" was just garbage.  Really disappointing end to that intriguing mid-season Monk arc.

For sure, she was weaker during 11th Doctor. But she was a literally flawless and perfect character beginning with season 8, which is my favorite season and I would argue the best of the entire series. It's better than everything.

So many great classic episodes that season.  I love "Listen," "Time Heist," "Mummy on the Orient Express," "Kill the Moon," and "Flatline."  But as an overall season arc I didn't think it held together.  Outside of introducing Missy, which is obviously amazing, I thought the ending two-parter was pretty flat honestly.

I started watching the series between the Smith and Capaldi eras. I'm in the same boat as Pieter. I'll wait to see if they're going to do a complete, affordable box set with all 4 (+ War) Doctors. Otherwise I'll have to start picking up the individual releases.

18 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I'm in the same boat as Pieter.

Excellent choice of words. That would be this boat then:

20170807_153427.jpg

Good boat to be in! ;)

19 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

A box set modeled on the TARDIS. Doctor Who: The Complete Masculine Series.

Good one! :lol:

13 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

A fine, fine actor. A superb Doctor. 

He is STUNNING here - 

One of many reasons why for me series 9 is his strongest, and probably Moffat's second strongest season as showrunner (after series 5 of course, immortal as it is).

13 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

And was the Doctor's M.O. ever better defined than 'I do what I do because it's RIGHT! Because it's decent. And above all, it's kind'?   

Aw man, but series 10 when it was on it was fucking on.  That final two-parter was stunningly good.  I really do like series 8 but I don't feel like they had really figured out Capaldi's character until "Last Christmas" (which is my favorite Xmas special of the whole series).

I had a lot of fun with last year's Christmas special ... 'The Return Of Doctor Mysterio' benefited enormously, IMHO, from being the only bit of new Who we got in 2016. The break had clearly done Moffat a lot of good, because it was a delight ... light and whimsical with some very funny jokes, a hugely entertaining take on superhero mythology and nothing to overly baffle 'casual' viewers (which you will inevitably get when families are gathered together for the festive season, if you see what I mean).

Proper family entertainment, if I may be so bold :) .    

Yeah, I liked that one too.

There are too many great 12th Doctor scenes to list, but a favorite is when he threatens the little shit from Game of Thrones.

That never happened to me with 12. The worst 12 for me admittedly was in season 9, that two-parter with the ghosts in the sea base.

I basically stopped watching during many of 11's later episodes. I would have them on and just lose interest, hope the next one was better. It's the worst the modern Who has gotten for sure. Season 8 redeemed the series for me.

Ive been a Whovian since the late 2000's! You newbies don't impress me.

Just now, Brónach said:

Moffat doesn't really have show runner chops. At all.

Yes! Good writer, horrible producer.

Or vice versa, actually. The show looks better than its written.