The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Fourth Doctor story 'Shada' (written by Douglas Adams, partially made and then abandoned in '79 due to BBC strike action) has been completed with animation and voiceover work from the cast. Available for download in late November and on DVD and Blu-Ray in early Dec -    

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-41556134

• 2 weeks later...

News came out yesterday, we have our new TARDIS team!  It's pretty neat that we'll have a 4 person team, reminds me of classic Who.  Also it's now official that the 11th season will be 10 episodes, 50 minutes each (except the premiere which will be an hour).  Also, note how the press release below says Sharon D. Clarke is playing a "returning role" not a "recurring role."  Let speculation of her being the Rani commence!

Renewal is built into the show's DNA, and I love how it seems that Chibnall is not feeling beholden to any particular trope/tradition of nu-Who.

image.php?pid=25429

The BBC have revealed details of the regular cast who will feature in the next series of Doctor Who, due to be broadcast in the Autumn next year.

When Jodie Whittaker takes over as the Thirteenth Doctor she will be joined by three regular cast members, consisting of Bradley Walsh as Graham, Tosin Cole as Ryan, and Mandip Gill as Yasmin. Also joining the series in a returning role is Sharon D Clarke.

The new series will consist of a ten-week run of fifty-minute episodes, due for transmission in Autumn 2018, and kicking off with a feature-length hour for the opening launch.

New showrunner Chris Chibnall says:

The new Doctor is going to need new friends. We’re thrilled to welcome Mandip, Tosin and Bradley to the Doctor Who family. They’re three of Britain’s brightest talents and we can’t wait to see them dive into brand new adventures with Jodie’s Doctor. Alongside them, we’re delighted that Sharon D Clarke is also joining the show.

Jodie Whittaker added

I am so excited to share this huge adventure with Mandip, Tosin and Bradley. It's a dream team!

Bradley Walsh is best known in the UK for his appearances in the soap opera Coronation Street and for playing lead role of DS Ronnie Brooks in Law & Order: UK ; he also appeared in the spin-off series The Sarah Jane Adventures playing Odd Bob/Spellman in Day of the Clown. He currently hosts the ITV game shows The Chase and Cash Trapped. Walsh said:

I remember watching William Hartnell as the first Doctor. Black and white made it very scary for a youngster like myself. I was petrified but even though I’d watch most of it from behind the sofa through my fingers, I became a fan. I then queued up for ages to get into the Carlton picture house in Watford to watch the great Peter Cushing appear as the Doctor in a full-length feature film made in glorious colour. Am I thrilled to be part of this whole ground breaking new dawn for the Doctor?? Oh yes!

Mandip Gill is known for playing Phoebe Jackson in the soap opera Hollyoaks, as well as appearances in Cuckoo, Doctors, The Good Karma Hospital and Casualty. She said

I am over the moon to be joining the Doctor Who family. This is an iconic show with an amazing fanbase and I look forward to everything that brings. Certain roles seem unattainable and this is one of those, so much so I didn't believe it to be true for the first few weeks. To be working alongside the likes of Jodie, Bradley and my old friend Tosin is thrilling. This show is worlds away from the work I've done previously and that's the part that excites me the most.

Also joining the team is Tosin Cole, known for his roles in The Cut, EastEnders: E20 and Hollyoaks. He said

I'm grateful and excited to be a part of this journey with the team. I'm looking forward to jumping in this Doctor Who universe.

Matt Strevens, Executive Producer, BBC Studios says:

I am thrilled to welcome Bradley, Mandip and Tosin to the new Who family. Working with three such talented actors is going to be a lot of fun. The Doctor is in fine company.

Piers Wenger, Controller of BBC Drama says

The casting of Mandip, Tosin and Bradley is a mark of the new creative ambition Chris is bringing to Doctor Who. He's already made history with the casting of Jodie. These three new characters complete a new and utterly unmissable team aboard the Tardis.

Sarah Barnet, President of BBC America, added:

Doctor Who fans in America are in for an exhilarating ride as the Thirteenth Doctor and her new friends begin a quite amazing new chapter.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/10/new-tardis-team-announced-221017220008.html

That's what has me so pleased!  All non-traditional companions with a non-traditional Doctor!  Creative shake-ups are so much fun, even if I was one of the few who was fine with the show in the Moffat era.

Just now, Stefancos said:

not to see minorities represented in a politically correct way. 

This was not my point at all.  Stop adding meaning to my posts I didn't intend!

I just meant they were all very different from what the show has done before, which is exciting.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

This was not my point at all.  Stop adding meaning to my posts I didn't intend!

Stefan's been doing that A LOT lately.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I like the idea of a "team" of companions vs. one key companion (or one key companion and their significant other - Rose/Mickey, Ponds, Clara/Danny)

i agree with the mstrox

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You responded to my comment which DID have that meaning.

Good storytelling and characters is always first and foremost for me.  BUT, I will make the point that as long as making a point of casting non-white actors is seen as deviating from the norm, as making a statement, then they should continue to make a point of casting minority actors until it is seen as just a standard, available choice for building a character.  And no, I'm not saying you feel differently, just wanted to get it said!

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I honestly don't care about any of that stuff. I watch TV to be entertained, not to see minorities represented in a politically correct way. 

So who of them you reckon is the gay one?

I read something fairly recently that I liked from author Chuck Wendig on Twitter.  I don't have access to it here, but I'll paraphrase and somehow make it much longer:  The argument that diverse representation is "forced" and "political" is a common complaint, but that stems from some illusion/delusion that stories flow magically and naturally from the author, which isn't the case.  Every element of a story is "forced" into place by the story's creator.  And the choice to be non-representative in fiction is just as political a choice as being representative in fiction.

Anyway, blah blah blah.  The fact that a cast has people of color in it is only "a thing" because society accepts white people as the default - the more it is "forced" in a story (again, kind of a fallacy), the more the lines blur, defaults un-default, and it will become less of an issue in the future.

Just now, mstrox said:

The fact that a cast has people of color in it is only "a thing" because society accepts white people as the default - the more it is "forced" in a story (again, kind of a fallacy), the more the lines blur, defaults un-default, and it will become less of an issue in the future.

Heh, jinx!

I feel like they eased the nerds into it a bit with the Master/Missy thing - and that "force" makes the next femme regeneration seem less forced, which is illustrative of the point I think.  Duck for cover - god help us in the future whenever they cast a POC actor as the Doctor, though.

55 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Examples please of posts where I do that.

On 10/6/2017 at 2:52 PM, Jay said:

Huh?  How did you possibly come to that conclusion?

On 10/16/2017 at 9:48 AM, Jay said:

That is what you took away from that entire post?  Please read it again, actually understand it, and then respond to the whole thing.

On 10/16/2017 at 9:53 AM, Jay said:

Again, you didn't read my post properly at all, or did but did not understand it.

Look at the words I posted: I never said you can't post here.  I said you're bothering us.

Do you understand now?

On 10/16/2017 at 10:15 AM, Jay said:

Once again, Stefan, I never told you that you couldn't post something.  It's like you're not even trying this morning.  I simply stated as a fellow forum member that your constant posts about how you're not watching the show are interrupting our nice conversation about the show.  You're turning this into a huge issue by continuing to misconstrue posts, not me.  

In the amount of time you've spent this morning arguing about a show you're not watching and misconstruing words in my posts, you could have watched the pilot episode!

On 10/18/2017 at 2:23 PM, Jay said:

Stefan

I never attempted to compare battery sizes with you whatsoever

I simply said mine had marvelous battery life.  Full stop.

It's becoming a daily ritual now for you to put words in my mouth and misconstrue my posts.

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

I feel like they eased the nerds into it a bit with the Master/Missy thing - and that "force" makes the next femme regeneration seem less forced, which is illustrative of the point I think.  Duck for cover - god help us in the future whenever they cast a POC actor as the Doctor, though.

Neil Gaiman once let slip that the actor Paterson Joseph (here he is in a highly appropriate mock-up pic) - 

pat4.jpg

- had been approached as a potential Doctor, but turned it down. 

I'm still waiting to catch season 10, which hasn't become available on free streaming with my Amazon Prime subscription yet.  I will probably miss Capaldi more than I can imagine.  I've loved his Doctor.  I really wish I had more time to spend with him and Clara.  Great chemistry, and reinvigorated me after the rather inconsistent and somewhat tiresome Matt Smith years.

Yeah I haven't truly disliked any companion so far.  Martha was kind of a terrible character through no fault of the actress, it was just a dumb story decision to have her fall in love with the Doctor while he treats her like garbage pining for Rose.

Why was that dumb?

I actually liked that Martha saw she wasn't really anything more than a rebound for the Doctor and decided to leave, on her own terms.

Martha is, I believe, the only regular companion of NuWho to have done so. Leave of her own accord.

Martha is, I believe, the only regular companion of NuWho to have done so. Leave of her own accord.

That part I liked!

I personally don't like when the Doctor's an asshole to his companion.  You could make an argument that the season could be read as being about a woman getting involved in an unhealthy relationship and being used and then finally freeing herself, but....yeah that's not what I want Doctor Who to do.  Great season mostly of course, although I do not like the final two-parter.  Like at all.  Glad it introduced John Simm as the Master but that story is probably one of RTD's worst for me.

The whole stuff where The Doctor goes back from being Dobby the House Elf because all the people around the Earth believe in him just didnt work. I see what RTD was trying to do and it didnt work.

He got me with his other big emotional finales though. I can't even hear four knocks without bursting into tears.

The Doctor was very selfish towards his companions in season 3, the offer he made to Nurse Redfern was actually vile and insensitive. 

The whole stuff where The Doctor goes back from being Dobby the House Elf because all the people around the Earth believe in him just didnt work. I see what RTD was trying to do and it didnt work.

He got me with his other big emotional finales though. I can't even hear four knocks without bursting into tears.

The Doctor was very selfish towards his companions in season 3, the offer he made to Nurse Redfern was actually vile and insensitive. 

It's very sad because "Utopia" was so brilliant, I love that Derek Jacobi is officially one of the Masters.

I think "The End of Time" was way too silly for its own good, but yeah everything from Wilf's four knocks to the end is classic Who.

That quiet moment when he visits Rose from before she met him....oof that's good stuff.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The whole last stretch to the Tennant era is on another level emotionally.

"We will sing to you, Doctor. The universe will sing you to your sleep..."

COME ON.

The story for "Time of the Doctor" was ok I guess.  I'm a big fan of Moffat, but I will admit he showed an annoying lack of focus there.  It was sort of the peak of power-mad Moffat, he became much better in the Capaldi era.  Anyway, Matt Smith in old age makeup was just bad.

I have a good feeling about "Twice Upon a Time" though!  I think Capaldi will get a great send off and Moffat learned from his mistakes with Smith's.