20 - The Stowaway.mp3
21 - Voyage of the Damned Suite.mp3
22 - The Song of Song.mp3
23 - A Pressing Need to Save the World.mp3
24 - Song of Freedom.mp3
25 - Stirring in the Sands.mp3
26 - Lithuania.mp3
27 - Final Days.mp3
28 - Never Too Old to Shoot and Fly.m4a (itunes bonus track)
29 - Abigail's Song.mp3
30 - Doctor Who XI.mp3
31 - Little Amy.mp3
32 - Victory of The Daleks.mp3
33 - Battle in The Sky.mp3
34 - Kiss The Girl.mp3
35 - This is Where It Gets Complicated.mp3
36 - The Patient Centurion.mp3
37 - Run, Sexy.mp3
38 - Which One is the Flesh.mp3
39 - What's Left To Be Scared Of.mp3
40 - Melody Pond.mp3
41 - Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.mp3
42 - The Caretaker.mp3
43 - Welcome to Mercy.mp3
44 - Clara Lives.mp3
45 - Papal Mainframe.mp3
46 - Market Day.mp3
47 - The Rings of Akhaten.mp3 (actually 'The Long Song', but that name sucks)
48 - Infinite Potential.mp3
49 - Always You, Never a Replacement.mp3
50 - The Song Of Danny And Clara.mp3
51 - Skaldak.mp3
52 - Zygon In The Painting.mp3
53 - I Am a Ghost.mp3
54 - Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS.mp3
55 - Remember Me.mp3
56 - Flying Home for Christmas.mp3
57 - Song For Four.mp3
58 - Doctor Who Theme (Series 8).mp3
59 - A Good Man.mp3

The * tracks are ripped from the 'Doctor Who: A Celebration' thing David Tennant hosted back in 2006.

There's certainly more music to add here and there, but it depends so much on taste. My selections focus on standalone cues that draw attention to themselves for some reason, and completely avoid comedy and long-drawn out sequences where Gold meanders a bit. I'd say it's season 1/2 and 7 heaviest.

On 21-12-2017 at 10:57 PM, Richard Penna said:

Sure

Thanks! I'm adding them to my Doctor Who playlist.

Somehow I seem to be missing these tracks though:

The Girl in the Fireplace
Sword Fight
The Stowaway
Never Too Old to Shoot and Fly
Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS

Must be some special stuff, I suppose?

2 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Thanks! I'm adding them to my Doctor Who playlist.

Somehow I seem to be missing these tracks though:

The Girl in the Fireplace
Sword Fight
The Stowaway
Never Too Old to Shoot and Fly
Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS

Must be some special stuff, I suppose?

The first two are rips from the Doctor Who concert (forgot about Fireplace before). PM me if you want more info on these.

The Stowaway is a song from the series 3 CD. Never Too Old is an itunes bonus track - series 3 or 4 probably. Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS is from that named episode, but the track is actually called A Machine That Makes Machines. I didn't like that name.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

The first two are rips from the Doctor Who concert (forgot about Fireplace before). PM me if you want more info on these.

The Stowaway is a song from the series 3 CD. Never Too Old is an itunes bonus track - series 3 or 4 probably. Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS is from that named episode, but the track is actually called A Machine That Makes Machines. I didn't like that name.

I must have removed "The Stowaway" like I often do (and sometimes shouldn't) with songs.

And indeed do have "A Machine That Makes Machines". So that explains it. Thanks!

12 hours ago, Arpy said:

Never Too Old to Shoot and Fly was an iTunes bonus track for The End of Time OST.

Found it! Fun one. Glad to have it now. :D

"The Stowaway" is also surprisingly good.

I concur with songs - rather a lot of the time they've got very little or nothing to do with the film/show. An exception for Who is 'Abigail's Song' which has a key part in one of Matt Smith's Christmas specials. That and 'The Stowaway' are the only ones I kept.

There are a couple on the first DW soundtrack which apparently appeared as source songs at some point (possibly in the first Christmas special), but stylistically have nothing to do with Gold's score. I have no idea what they're doing on there.

'My Angel Put The Devil In Me' from Series 3 alludes to the fact that The Doctor might be a bad influence on Martha which was one of the themes for the series. All of the songs throughout Who have been chosen/composed with the story in mind.

What I discovered recently is that what I believed to be a statement of the Cyberman theme in Voyage of the Damned as the Titanic pulls up over Buckingham Palace was just a protracted statement of the Stowaway theme.

The christmas special was a very nice episode with a lot of character examination but little plot, which did not really bother me in any significant way. The christmas connection was there at the end with the very poignant inclusion of the 1914 christmas truce, which felt like a welcome uplifting surprise, but fitting conclusion for the captain's part of the storyline.

Regarding the music, I did (over one viewing) not really notice any significant new compositions, but many nice and loving tributes to a lot of favorite cues from the who run of New Who - I particularly remember the early low-key woodwind statement of the Doomsday tune, a bit of Vale, of course several (less RC-y than usual) statements of the 12th theme, less expected but welcome: several prominent uses of the original "Doctor's theme" from the 9th/10th Doctor, and, to cap it off, the use of the latter half of the incredible Heaven Sent finale cue (I had the impression it's the exact same recording?) for the 12th Doctor's final speech to his future self. I'm the tiniest bit conflicted about the appropriateness of this placement - one the one hand I would have loved an original cue or arrangement for this scene, similarly to the great orchestral culmination of the Doctor's theme in Vale Decem, and the used cue is still very specifically connected (in my mind) to Heaven Sent; on the other hand it of course has been used several times in different (but always climactic) contexts before, from its origin in the 50th anniversary special to the most recent variant in The Doctor Falls... it definitely does not fail to have an effect.

Now on to the long wait...

Plot-wise, the episode was "fine" (although I think I appreciate the concept more after watching the background video above). Capaldi's farewell speech is excellent though, and does his Doctor justice.

I mostly enjoyed it, but I will say this ... I have watched some First Doctor stories, and he said nothing 'back in the day' as overtly sexist as some of the things Moffat had coming out of his mouth. It felt like a contrivance in order to show 'how far the show has come' with Whittaker's casting, and was probably a little disrespectful to William Hartnell. 

A pity.   

• 1 month later...

It was alright. I just felt like the episode was about nothing, really, except that the Doctors weren't ready to regenerate...and then they did.

Moffat's writing has been sloppy for some time now. It's time for a fresh take.

12 hours ago, Philippe Roaché said:

It was alright. I just felt like the episode was about nothing, really, except that the Doctors weren't ready to regenerate...and then they did.

Moffat's writing has been sloppy for some time now. It's time for a fresh take.

Glad to say I enjoyed what has come before and am looking forward to what's up ahead as well.

Nothing wrong with some good, healthy fresh air. :D

I hope it's not Ben Foster. His scores for the latter Torchwood era were just completely by-the-numbers and didn't feel to me to be offering anything special. Just competent scoring, but nothing more.

Whoever it is needs a really good range and will need to be able to write a lot of themes.

Gold will be seriously difficult to replace. Through 4+ new Doctors, his music and especially his leitmotifs has perhaps been the most important constant that tied the series together. And it's bloody good music, too.

Broadchurch has me a bit worried that Chibnall might go for understatement when it comes to the scores - which would obviously be a huge departure from the overall Gold sound.

Broadchurch is a very different show. I wouldn't expect Chibnall to bring the same sensibilities to Who.

One thing I disliked about Gold's approach was that a lot of the action music, or at least upbeat 'crucial plot point' music tended to have a song-like structure (like you could put lyrics to it), often with a drum kit, like they were trying to appeal to a younger crowd. It sounded overly cheesy to me a lot of the time.

Having said that, there's an overwhelming volume of really good thematic, interesting music in his 10 years. Few other composers can claim this body of work.

Now where the hell are the series 9 and 10 releases? (well, we know 9 is coming 'soon')

1/ money

2/ exposure

3/ the chance to have one's music played at the RAH

4/ repeat fees, from DVDs, Blu Rays, CDs, etc.

5/ the kudos that being associated with a programme like DOCTOR  WHO brings.

In retrospect, it might have been better if Gold had left, when RTD quit the show, no matter how good the music continued to be.

I'm sure that he's now in the position that Dudley Simpson found himself in, when JN-T took over. 

6 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Broadchurch is a very different show. I wouldn't expect Chibnall to bring the same sensibilities to Who.

One thing I disliked about Gold's approach was that a lot of the action music, or at least upbeat 'crucial plot point' music tended to have a song-like structure (like you could put lyrics to it), often with a drum kit, like they were trying to appeal to a younger crowd. It sounded overly cheesy to me a lot of the time.

Having said that, there's an overwhelming volume of really good thematic, interesting music in his 10 years. Few other composers can claim this body of work.

Now where the hell are the series 9 and 10 releases? (well, we know 9 is coming 'soon')

Hm. I loved Eleven's 'I Am The Doctor' theme, very hummable! 

As much as I've loved Gold's music over the past 13 years (13 years... insane how quickly that time has gone!), it's time for someone new to step in. Hopefully we get a more synth-heavy, less bombastic score as a change of pace.

I was a huge fan of the revamp that DW received on Moffat's first series (which also remains the single best series of modern Who ever IMO), it's only right that Chibnall gets to do the same.

I'm very excited for this new series!

The 11th Doctor had the worst storylines by far. After his first season, the show was frequently unwatchable. 12's final season or two were pretty brutal at points. 11's stories were too ridiculous, 12's were too boring. They need to make it more like season 8 where the cast had the best chemistry, it was fun and the Doctor was a grouchy sarcastic dick. I guess she can be a bitch now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2018 at 4:04 AM, Philippe Roaché said:

The 11th Doctor had the worst storylines by far. After his first season, the show was frequently unwatchable. 12's final season or two were pretty brutal at points. 11's stories were too ridiculous, 12's were too boring. They need to make it more like season 8 where the cast had the best chemistry, it was fun and the Doctor was a grouchy sarcastic dick. I guess she can be a bitch now.

Yes!