The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Watched it again, mainly because my first download cut off abruptly right before the end credits and I never got to hear the new arrangement of the theme. Whittaker is really wonderful in the role. Not sure if it's just because she's freshly regenerated that I still sense a strong Capaldi vibe. At the same time, loads of goofy one liners that would fit Matt Smith just as well. And of course the accent. Music was mostly fine, actually; the bigger set piece cues also sound nice, but still felt a bit too understated for me (but that definitely also goes for the mix). There's hope yet.

I actually liked the music as well, I think going more electronic fits the show well.  I loved the little quote of the title theme when Whittaker is revealed.  The end title was great.

Iconic as it is, I always thought the original main title is a bit static, and that carries over to the Akinola version. I like the drive Gold gave the whole thing - though the Capaldi version was the weakest of his (and thus at odds with the fact that Capaldi had by far the best main title sequence visuals).

No you were correct Pieter.  Chibnall was the showrunner of seasons 1 and 2 of Torchwood.  Davies was a creator and wrote the pilot.  Davies also took over as showrunner for Children of Earth (great!) and Miracle Day (dogshit).

His Torchwood seasons were pretty mediocre, but Broadchurch was brilliant (seasons 1 and 3 at least).  Chibnall has grown a lot as a writer I think.  And honestly I still quite like “Power of Three,” his last Who episode before taking over.

On no Daleks this series ... Moffat said in the past that there now has to be a really good reason to have them feature, because surely once they realise it's the Doctor they're facing again wouldn't they just quit 'n' run rather than suffer yet another defeat?  

Gosh, that mini-monologue about regeneration, right before she forges her own sonic screwdriver (which was awesome too), was just lovely, wasn't it?

I think it's neat to separate the Doctor from the TARDIS, but I hope it's not for too much longer.  Still up in the air if that reunion happens next episode or not.

ALSO, am I supposed to be wondering what the ball of regenergy that came out of the Doctor's mouth was about?  Is that a dangling plot thread that will come back?

Yeah maybe it's just a marking of "regeneration complete" but it certainly could be confusing to new viewers and this new version of the series is definitely aimed at bringing in new viewers.  Seems like a weird thing to spend precious VFX money on and not be significant.

Also, what are you waiting on?  Get on iPlayer and watch it!

I watch the BBC for absolutely bloody free!

37 minutes ago, Richard said:

I haven't seen TWWFTE yet, but perhaps the "ball of energy" is akin to the gold stuff that came out of Tennant's mouth, in THE CHRISTMAS INVASION?

It seems to reference that. The Doctor still not "done" regenerating etc.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeesh, like there aren't ways around that.  I watched it on iPlayer Sunday night and I live in Virginia! :P 

Live in Virginia, Stu. Fill yer boots. Chesapeake Bay is wonderful...Arlington Cemetery not so much, but you don't have the TV police knocking at your door, if you watch something "illegally". I'm happy to wait.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I watch the BBC for absolutely bloody free!

Do you need a lodger? :D

6 hours ago, Richard said:

Your forgetting, Sweep: the "Clara" Dalek wiped their collective memory. 

But wasn't there an episode whereupon scanning databanks the Daleks came to know of him again (I think maybe in Smith's finale, The Time Of The Doctor?). 

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

His Torchwood seasons were pretty mediocre, but Broadchurch was brilliant (seasons 1 and 3 at least).  Chibnall has grown a lot as a writer I think.  And honestly I still quite like “Power of Three,” his last Who episode before taking over.

Torchwood S1 might be considered mediocre with some justification, but I thought S2 was by far the best season of the show, with Miracle Day in second place.

Yavar

1 minute ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Torchwood S1 might be considered mediocre with some justification, but I thought S2 was by far the best season of the show, with Miracle Day in second place.

Yavar

Whoa.

You think Miracle Day is not only good, but better than Children of Earth.  I've literally never heard of anyone else in the world having that opinion.

They made the characters so unlikable in season 2.  Almost every single one, including Cap'n Jack himself.  It was like, let's see what happens if everyone's an asshole to each other.  Not enjoyable to watch for me.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Whoa.

You think Miracle Day is not only good, but better than Children of Earth.  I've literally never heard of anyone else in the world having that opinion.

Haha that's because I was distracted and mixed them up. Miracle Day sucks, Children of Earth is the second best season (is what I meant to say). Whoops!

But the important thing is that S2 is the best of the show, IMO...completely agree with Stefancos. I especially grew to appreciate Burn Gorman's character more over that season.

Yavar

1 minute ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Haha that's because I was distracted and mixed them up. Miracle Day sucks, Children of Earth is the second best season (is what I meant to say). Whoops!

But the important thing is that S2 is the best of the show, IMO...completely agree with Stefancos. I especially grew to appreciate Burn Gorman's character more over that season.

Yavar

This makes sense now!

I dunno, outside of Children of Earth I run pretty cold on Torchwood.  It was like a child's idea of a show aimed at adults.

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I dunno, outside of Children of Earth I run pretty cold on Torchwood.  It was like a child's idea of a show aimed at adults

That's sorta what Doctor Who is nowadays.

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

But wasn't there an episode whereupon scanning databanks the Daleks came to know of him again (I think maybe in Smith's finale, The Time Of The Doctor?). 

Quite possibly. I didn't really like T of the D. Of course, they could have gone back in time, to events before AOTD.

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Gosh, that mini-monologue about regeneration, right before she forges her own sonic screwdriver (which was awesome too), was just lovely, wasn't it?

I think it's neat to separate the Doctor from the TARDIS, but I hope it's not for too much longer.  Still up in the air if that reunion happens next episode or not.

ALSO, am I supposed to be wondering what the ball of regenergy that came out of the Doctor's mouth was about?  Is that a dangling plot thread that will come back?

There were a lot of references to previous regenerations, I think that was just one to tie to Tennant.

There was the sign on the crane about risk of falling (4th Doctor)

Spoons (7th Doctor)

Amnesia (numerous, notably 8th Doctor)

Accidentally bringing the new companions along on journey (1st Doctor)

Wearing the previous Doctor's outfit until the end (11th Doctor)

If there were any others I'd be interested. I'm sure there were probably a few more there that I missed.

It did amuse me how she was still wearing her predecessor's outfit at Grace's funeral, which presumably was at the very least a few days after her death. And without the Tardis, it wasn't like she'd time-travelled to it.

Whiffy Doctor! Or maybe Time Lord deodorant is awesomely strong, or they don't sweat like we do.        

Biggest laugh, all day. Thanks, Steef!

51 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

It did amuse me how she was still wearing her predecessor's outfit at Grace's funeral, which presumably was at the very least a few days after her death.

Who's Grace? Grace Holloway?

It was very...ordinary. Nothing more or less than what you'd expect. Is Who destined to become as predictable and repetitive as 007? Is it already? Or was this a transitional playing safe episode? I thought with a new showrunner it would have a different feel. It's the same shit repackaged with a lady.

I would say I already miss #12, but he stopped being as grouchy and Clahrah was long dead by the time he regenerated. Season 8 is the best overall.

#13 needs a haircut. Her hair keeps getting caught on her face, a problem I've also had. She could use a shorter do like Major Kira

I agree that Eleventh Hour is better.  It’s the best regeneration story of all 50+ years.  But I do think this one was MUCH better than Christmas Invasion, which I thought was awful.

Of the four modern regen stories, I’d rank them thusly:

1. The Eleventh Hour

2. The Woman Who Fell to Earth

3. Deep Breath

4. The Christmas Invasion

She might as well have been dead. That ending was ridiculous.

The Christmas Invasion feels like a completely different show at this point. It's very corny and Tennant only wears the leather jacket for one scene. Just compare the Tardis crash landing at the beginning to anything in the later seasons. I mean what were they thinking letting DT run wild and quote The Lion King and all that? It's like he's on coke.

The conception of this new Doctor is clearly going back to a kinder, more empathetic Doctor, so I doubt you’ll ever warm to Whittaker in the role, Justin.  You’re the only person I know who thinks Capaldi’s first season is superior to his second.