The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

38 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And there are hints of an arc there.

Yep, sounds like we won't be disappointed on that account after all!

Well, it could still be a disappointing arc, but at least there'll apparently be once.

39 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Gloomy TARDIS. Biscuits!

TARDIS I like! Biscuits are a nice touch.

But gloomy isn't my cup 'o tea (as them Brits would say).

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Rose is not a regeneration story.

Correct. Rose is the sequel to an unfilmed regeneration episode.

Or rather, the regeneration story is the unfilmed prequel that Disney will make when they buy the BBC. 

Well technically they show that John Hurt version regenerating into him in the anniversary show, although the jacket was similar but wrong? So that's his regeneration episode, but it's stupid because there's a Doctor 8.5 and he should have been the one with nice hair from the TV movie, who also wore the jacket.

Paul_McGann.JPG

Eccleston was approached about appearing in the-War-Doctor-to Nine regeneration in The Day Of the Doctor, but depending on who you believe he was either too busy filming the Thor sequel to do it or he turned it down. I can believe the latter, he seems to be a grumpy sod. 

Was tickled last night by the fact that the Tardis is vain enough to have included a little spinning glass model of itself on its new console.  

I like the mini spinning TARDIS model, like a synchronized model to show the revolutions of the police box as it travels through the vortex!

I thought it neat that instead of the TARDIS door to the outside simply appearing flush on the side of the larger interior set, they actually have the three sides of the police box as a mini-lobby or tunnel on the side, before stepping into the larger room. As if to show us how truly small the inside of the police box is. If that happened earlier, I don't remember it. 

Good episode. Again, not a lot of story but it felt like development of Whittaker's character took priority. Loving the music too.

Seriously cinematic look too, and the long-form shots on the ship at the beginning was nicely done.

Yes, Chibnall clearly is valuing character waaaay over narrative.  Like the first episode, this story wasn’t bad by any means.  It was heavily recycled but mostly well-told.

Waiting for Yaz to get more to do, so much of the character development is centered around Ryan and Graham.  We truly know almost nothing about Yaz at this point.

Something that RTD (and Chibnall apparently) always understood is that the easiest way to bring a character into focus is via their relationships with loved ones.

That said, just a touch of the grand narrative flair that Moffat was great at would be welcome in this new era. 

25 minutes ago, Richard said:

You want a TARDIS, inside a TARDIS,  inside a TARDIS, inside a TARDIS? Watch LOGOPOLIS.

Is LOGOPOLIS an actual word, or an acronym for a really long episode title? I can never tell with you. 

Good episode! Haphazard as most Who stories, but quite character driven.

I guess we will see more of the Stenza, and I wonder who or what the Timeless Child is?

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Waiting for Yaz to get more to do, so much of the character development is centered around Ryan and Graham.  We truly know almost nothing about Yaz at this point.

Next week probably. With Rosa Parks.

I believe that this series has the most ethnically diverse set of writers that Who's ever had, so that maybe goes some way to explaining the Rosa Parks episode and the upcoming one in which the Tardis crew travel back to partition-era India to visit Yaz's grandmother.  

28 minutes ago, Wojism said:

Why is Doctor Who going back in time to America's segregationist past for stories? 

I expect the Doctor will safely bring her three new companions (I'm sticking to the term) home at the beginning of the episode, and off them a ride to a time of their choice to make up for all the trouble, and they'll choose Rosa Parks.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I heard that the Rosa Parks story isn't that well-known in the UK?  Certainly not like it is here, where it's entered into our cultural mythos.

I barely know about it, so I won't mind finding out more through Doctor Who.

I did not have a problem with DW doing Apollo 11 and Nixon, even though it was a stupid storyline. Eleven wearing a cowboy hat does not count.

But I don't see the historical intrigue in Rosa Parks unless racist white men from the future want to keep Jim Crow laws in place by stopping Rosa Parks' famous act of defiance, which the Doctor needs to stop. 

47 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

I barely know about it, so I won't mind finding out more through Doctor Who.

She was arrested for not giving up her seat to a white man in the colored section of a Montgomery, Alabama bus in 1955. At the time, the driver could move the colored section as needed to allow all whites a seat. Blacks would need to move, stand, or take another bus. This led to a yearlong boycott of the Montgomery busses by blacks and made Parks a symbol of the Civil Rights movement.

Moving to a different part of the bus required blacks to exit then reenter the bus from the back entrance. This happened to Parks in 1943, but she was left behind when the bus driver drove off. 

The same scumbag who called the police on her in 1955.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I don't think thats what he meant. Sounded more like:

"Why is a British show doing our history?"

Yes, but I briefly wondered myself, and this is what I figured will be the in-universe reasoning. The actual reason might be that after the previous two Trek connections, they're going to do their version of the Bell Riots next. ;)

Here's more on Rosa Parks:

7 hours ago, Wojism said:

But I don't see the historical intrigue in Rosa Parks unless racist white men from the future want to keep Jim Crow laws in place by stopping Rosa Parks' famous act of defiance, which the Doctor needs to stop. 

That, or aliens!

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Far from the first time Who has been preachy or moralistic. It comes with idealism. Why should that be a problem?

It's not, as long as the episode doesn't become 'bogged down' in it and consequently become no fun to watch.