The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You seem like you're already fearing the worst?

It's just a little disconcerting to see one of the Beeb's own publications call it 'preachy' (they also say that it 'loses its way as a bit of teatime fun and becomes a lecture').

Colin Baker was not a fan, he said its one saving grace was that at least wearing it meant he didn't have to look at it. 

He apparently would've preferred something akin to Eccleston's (for me, hands-down the dullest Doctor outfit of them all).

8 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Radio Times (the BBC's own TV listings magazine) describes the tone of 'Rosa' as 'preachy'.

If Whittaker's preaching is anything like Capaldi's, bring it on!

The Doctor will always - always - fight on the side of the underdog, and the oppressed, and will take a stance on organisations which seek to keep people down. Two brilliant examples of this are THE COLONY IN SPACE, and THE SUN MAKERS.

He will never have any qualms about taking life, to save life, even if it pains him to do so. His attitude towards people who take life callously, is apparent at the end of THE SILURIANS.

Let's get one thing straight; The Doctor is not a pacifist - he destroyed his own planet, for cryin' out loud, but he did it for a greater cause, and he regretted it, and that's why he couldn't bring himself to destroy the Earth, in PARTING OF THE WAYS; he couldn't do it, again.

The Doctor won't take life, willfully (he lacks Davros' practice), but he will kill, if he needs to.

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

The Doctor will always - always - fight on the side of the underdog, and the oppressed, and will take a stance on organisations which seek to keep people down. Two brilliant examples of this are THE COLONY IN SPACE, and THE SUN MAKERS.

She will never have any qualms about taking life, to save life, even if it pains him to do so. Her attitude towards people who take life callously, is apparent at the end of THE SILURIANS.

Let's get one thing straight; The Doctor is not a pacifist - she destroyed his own planet, for cryin' out loud, but she did it for a greater cause, and she regretted it, and that's why she couldn't bring himself to destroy the Earth, in PARTING OF THE WAYS; she couldn't do it, again.

The Doctor won't take life, willfully (she lacks Davros' practice), but she will kill, if she needs to.

Fixed!

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

There are 2 Tennant Doctors!

He's half human, so..16.5 :lol:

5 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

I thought Gallifrey just went to another dimension or something. He whiped out the Daleks I believe.

That's "wiped out"...although...whipped-out the Daleks...

Just finished Rosa and I'd disagree that it's preachy, rather a reminder of the importance of the Rosa story. I guess the villain was an attempt to make a character that generalises racism, although as an actual character, it couldn't have been more stock.

First bit of orchestral music I think too - still loving Segun's score. I hope he gets a good release for this season. And I'm finding myself sniggering at a lot of Whittaker's lines. Definitely a big fan of her Doctor.

Not a fan of the 'explain everything' script though. This episode particularly had a 24-vibe to it where the consequences of everything are spelt out for the viewer.

27 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Just finished Rosa and I'd disagree that it's preachy, rather a reminder of the importance of the Rosa story. I guess the villain was an attempt to make a character that generalises racism, although as an actual character, it couldn't have been more stock.

Not preachy at all. Although the epilogue felt a bit too much like a tagged on children's educational insert.

27 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

First bit of orchestral music I think too - still loving Segun's score. I hope he gets a good release for this season. And I'm finding myself sniggering at a lot of Whittaker's lines. Definitely a big fan of her Doctor.

Music was nice! All scripts so far have had their share of wonderfully witty lines, and not just for Whittaker. "Good, cos I don't eat them."

Overall a bit sloppy, though. It's basically BTTF with the Rosa Parks story, but what gets changed when and how it has to be changed back could have used more focus. The four of them sitting in a crowded bus and talking loudly about how Ryan is going to follow Parks was also rather lazy.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The accents were so shitty I couldn’t make it more than 10 minutes.  I’ll finish it one day

I don't think there's ever been any good American accents on Doctor Who unfortunately. I was worried it would happen again here.

With the powerhouse that is the show, I thought they might have more pulling power to get some American actors over.

Nice period detail and good Banksy and Steve Jobs gags. Underwritten and unthreatening bad guy (and not even a flicker from the Doctor when it was clearly River's/Jack's Vortex Manipulator he was using), a scene (when Yaz and Ryan were hiding in the alley) that felt like crowbarred-in speechifying rather than naturalistic dialogue, and whatever that bloody song was it should never have replaced the theme in the end credits. 

Still, next weekend's glories in the title 'Arachnids In The UK' so I'm expecting some spidery heebie-jeebies ... although it will mean that 3 of the first 4 episodes have been Earth-set. Hoping for some more far-flung alien planets soon.     

Wow, that was a great one. Loved the Banksy gags, and was pleasantly surprised at the very rich string writing. It had a touch of Americana without being too cloying (unpopular opinion: I'm not a fan of that style of music, especially when Williams does it). I could've done without the Copland horns every time Rosa was on screen though.

9 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

(and not even a flicker from the Doctor when it was clearly River's/Jack's Vortex Manipulator he was using),

What makes you think it was the same one? And for that matter, what makes you think Jack and River both had the same one? I got the impression it was a rough but available form of time travel in the far future, but I could be wrong.

9 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

a scene (when Yaz and Ryan were hiding in the alley) that felt like crowbarred-in speechifying rather than naturalistic dialogue

Agree to disagree on this one, it was a necessary moment to contextualise those characters' experiences. The delivery was a bit stilted but thematically it fits very well.

I'm not sure what to make of this new series yet. The dialogue writing is horrible and delivered even worse. I hope they bring in better writers... 

On 10/22/2018 at 1:09 AM, Disco Stu said:

The accents were so shitty I couldn’t make it more than 10 minutes.  I’ll finish it one day

Seriously? I didn't bat an ear-lid at the accents.

--

The music could've been a little more subtle in places but I like the little motif for Rosa. The cue right at the end in the Tardis was beautiful. Actually, I'd buy a CD of just this episode's music, and if it doesn't come I'll likely rip it from the DVD (if it's 5.1). The beeb's budget should restrict the chaos in surrounding channels.

I wonder if, given Akinola is pretty much an unknown at this point, they're only going to give him a single CD to start with. I'm already enjoying his scoring way more than Gold's last few series.

Story-wise, I could see this being a case where they didn't succeed and have to deal somehow with the ramifications of Rosa giving up her seat. But on reflection, the point of the episode seems to be educational for those unfamiliar with Rosa Parks and therefore they still needed to show 'the moment' where history is made.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

So...the new series, series (grits teeth) 11. Getting a general thumbs down, is it?

I'm not really enjoying yet.  I'm just not buying into Whitaker as the Doctor.  There has been no time for her to breath and reflect on it.  Frankly she comes across as an elementary teacher in many scenes.  I'm really hoping it will grow on me...

19 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

What makes you think it was the same one? And for that matter, what makes you think Jack and River both had the same one? I got the impression it was a rough but available form of time travel in the far future, but I could be wrong.

River said she'd got it 'off the wrist of a handsome Time Agent', so that's Jack. 

The 'Rosa' bad guy told the Doctor that he'd been locked up in Stormcage, which is the same facility in which River was imprisoned.

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

River said she'd got it 'off the wrist of a handsome Time Agent', so that's Jack. 

The 'Rosa' bad guy told the Doctor that he'd been locked up in Stormcage, which is the same facility in which River was imprisoned.

Neither of those things indicate that this villain has the very same vortex manipulator though, nor has it ever been indicated that Jack's (or River's) were unique in the universe. I can feasibly see that Jack and River have interacted and that could potentially be the same one, but I reckon you're reaching on the other one.

Chibnall said that this season would have 'callbacks' to the show's history scattered throughout it (the second episode's Third Doctor nod 'Venusian aikido!', for example). So I don't think I am 'reaching' at all, sorry.    

BTW Richard, you forgot the other First Doctor actor ... David Bradley in Capaldi's finale. 

Yeah it was such a funny coincidence since the newest series has just started in Finland and I had literally seen her just in the first episode. At first I thought "oh that lady looks a lot like the new Doctor Who actress." and then literally seconds later when she turned around I realized "It IS the new Doctor Who actress!" Which I then pointed out to @crocodile! Nice to know that she is a John Williams fan!! :D