The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Give him a chance. Ecclestone had the advantage of being in full "Doctor" mode right from his first appearance. Tennant has had to do the whole regeneration-gone-wrong thing for most of this first episode. I can't wait to see him in a proper episode (as opposed to sleeping in his jammies for the first 30 minutes). I think he will be very watchable.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I know this is probably old news to everyone by now but it looks like American TV is finally going to be showing the new series of Dr Who! The Sci Fi Channel on cable TV will start broadcasting the 13 episodes mid march! Yey! Of course the rest of the world will be watching season 2 by then but hey, better late than never I suppose. :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Bump!

News of a new cast member has just been released........I am not convinced about this at all - however Simon Pegg did OK so I guess we'll just have to wait and see......though whether or not I'll be able to watch it without humming that bloody Armadillo song to myself and smirking constantly remains to be seen....

Any sign of season 1 in the US yet, Mr Twinkle?

I think I heard that Dr Who will be on the sci fi channel starting next week (March 17th), and that there will be two episodes back to back for the first few weeks to get people hooked! The first few episodes will be repeated over the first couple of weeks in case anyone misses them. I hope it's a smash!!! All the Americans I've shown it to have been really into it and have wanted to wtch through every episode, but I know a lot of geeks ( ROTFLMAO ) so maybe they dpn't represent the cross-section.

I don't mind the news about Peter Kay, but I'm very disturbed about the Eastenders cast showing up in one episode. It sounds too much like Dimensions in Time. And besides, I can't stand soaps!!! WHY?????????

• 2 weeks later...

Good news for any British fans of the classic series.....the season 12 story Genesis of the Daleks finally gets a DVD release on 10th April.....arrives in the US on 6th June.......STILL the best Dr Who story of all time in my most humble opinion....powerhouse performances by Tom Baker and Michael Wisher and a story by Terry Nation regarding the origins of his own creation made - and still make - utterley compelling viewing.....

There should NEVER have been another Davros story after Genesis. It was the perfect ending for him, killed by his own creation. Every subsequent Dalek story had to make use of the increasingly crippled and incomplete Davros, all very silly and embarassing. I'm so glad Davros is gone in the current Dr Who. Michael Wisher WAS Davros.

• 2 weeks later...

In preparation for the new series, the BBC have produced 13 prequel "Tardisodes" to accompany the latest adventures....whilst there is no confirmed air-date for the first full adventure (though it is due sometime in April), the first tardisode has appeared on-line and can be viewed Here.....

:(

Not with my dial-up it can't! Here's hoping they get put on the DVD release along with the little pre-Christmas Invasion scene.

Dr Who is showing in the states. I spoke to a shop owner over here who's been watching it. He's hooked! So far so good. Mind you, I haven't seen the ratings.

The Tardisode is only 51 seconds......sure you can't manage it?? It's OK - not great, and not what I expected, but it's OK.....

Dr Who is showing in the states.

Finally! Episode 4 of the new series aired last night here, and has been totally wonderful. And according to what I've heard, it hasn't even gotten good yet. The ratings have been decent. Not Battlestar Galactica numbers, but still very respectable for the Sci-Fi Channel.

Just avoid the Simon Pegg episode (7). :dance:

No - you need to watch that - if only once - for one of the later stories to make sense!

I guess.....

Just read a plot outline then. :dance:

I also have to support local talent - Simon being a Gloucester boy......

No, really, the episode is also worth seeing as it ties up another short plot thread (after "Dalek"), and some great effects (though the reveal of the creature involved is a bit of a let-down.....)....

Episodes 4 and 5 are the weakest I think, but there are some really good ones one the way. Dalek, The Empty Child, and the last two episodes are really amazing. I also love Unquiet Dead.

The Unquiet Dead was great. The writing was the best of the first three eps, and Simon Callow stole the show as Dickens. And I love all the little rips on Cardiff, where the show is filmed. Best line of the series I've seen so far: "I can't beleive after it all I'm going to die here....in Cardiff!" The End of the World had a very classic Who feel to it IMO and I really enjoyed that too. I can't wait for the first Dalek ep in a couple of weeks.

Episodes 4 and 5 are the weakest I think, but there are some really good ones one the way. Dalek, The Empty Child, and the last two episodes are really amazing. I also love Unquiet Dead.

I really thought that one wasn't going to work because it was so... "different" from all the others (old and new). But it's probably my favourite ep of that series.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw the first episode of the new series - overall it was pretty good. Good ol' ropey effects, contrived storylines and bizarre characters. Good, but there's definitely room for improvement. Better than The Christmas Invasion though.

Dalek premeired over here in the US last night.  

8O  

Let me say again.

8O  

And I'll add an  :( , an  :eek: , and a  8O  

:D  

Emoticons are fun.

Still the New Who's zenith, I feel....

I enjoyed New Earth (season 2 opener), but it all had a very familiar feeling......not as inventive as previous episodes, and the Cat People thing is not new for the good Doctor.....EPisode 2 looks like a cracker though!

I hope someone in England is taping these for me! ;)

Can't help - sorry! I do have it taped, but in PAL it's not a lot of use to you, is it??

It's fine as I'm visiting my parents in Sheffield in a month so I'll be able to watch them then! I'm sure my geeky Dr Who friends in Sheffield are all making copies for me. Actually one of my friends here in Ohio may be hooking me up with DVDs as they are aired... (grin)

Bloody Hell!

Just saw "Tooth and Claw".....what a cracking episode!!???!?? I was disappointed with the season opener, but my attention has just been grabbed back! Made a right mockery of the whole Time Travel thing and was quite sloppily written (though the reference to Balamory made me "howl" with laughter!), but atmosphere, direction, visual effects, acting - all top notch and have set the benchmark for this season.....

Greg - who can't wait for the return of some old friends in next week's episode.....

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw School Reunion. Wow. It was really quite an emotional episode for me. Sarah Jane was my first ever assistant (I started watching the show sometime during Jon Pertwee's final season). It was wonderful to see how her character had fared after the Doctor left her. Very well-written episode. I can't wait for the next one. Is it the one Mark Gatiss wrote?

I enjoyed School Reunion a lot.....and was pleasantly surprised at the sensitive scripting between Sarah Jane and the Doctor......all in all a little treasure of an episode......good effects and a great villain......

.....and great to see K-9 in action once more!!! K-9 is now to star in his own animated TV series on Jetix, if anyone's interested!

Next episode looks good.....and the Cybermen are near......

"Rise of the Cybermen" will be broadcast in the UK on Saturday 13th May, as Episode 5 of the new season......

....but I have a feeling that Episode 4 - "The Girl in the Fireplace" - may be a precursor to it rather than a standalone story.....

Oooh. I'm excited! I wish the BBC wold do what every other TV video company is doing and start releasing the Dr Who back-catalogue by season instead of randomly. The season box sets would be very attractive. I'd buy seasons 12-14 immediately! I think they are the cream of the entire Dr Who canon. I know there would be problems releasing seasons 3-5 given that they are so incomplete, but they could release those three seasons as a single set. I'd buy it!

I still think Genesis of the Daleks is the absolute zenith of all things Who.....yes, it has weak points (the padding is often dreadful, and makes one want to beg for a re-edited "movie" version.....but the writing still holds it's head over and above any other story.....and I include the new series within that.....

Genesis was also released as a much-abridged LP version, cutting the padding and concentrating on Davros and the "genesis" itself.....that LP was re-edited and a further 15 minutes of footage added for a CD release a couple of years ago......feel free to PM me if you would like to hear a sample.....

I have the 1976 cassette of that. I used to play it all the time! The cliffhanger at the end of part one (there are just two parts) is "I sent Sarah and Harry in there..." as the Kaled base blows up. I was surprised to find that wasn't one of the original cliffhangers when I saw the show again on VHS. The two cliffhangers I really remember from that series are Sarah falling from the scaffold (wow! what an amazing freeze-frame. It gives me goose bumps every time!) and the Doctor emerging from the incubation room with the embryonic Dalek throttling him.

Now Seeds of Doom... I waited so long for that to come out on video. I remembered every single cliffhanger from that story despite only being 5 when it was shown. Every single cliffhanger!!! It's a great piece of horror for kids!

Don't remember much of Seeds of Doom.....in fact I don't remember it at all.....but it is due for a repeat on Cable soon so will try and catch it.....

For anyone that is enjoying the new series, you may like to know that you can already download episode commentaries from the cast and crew, and listen to them as you are re-watching the episode.....

Commentaries can be downloaded from the individual episode here....

Just watched The Girl in the Fireplace......it was ok, but a bit yawn-worthy.....nice to see the Doc getting a good snog again though...!

On a related topic, I just heard a rumour that Chris Ecclestone's next project is to be a remake of the classic Patrick McGoohan series "The Prisoner", as a 6-part miniseries! I am VERY excited. I don't know how it could possibly match up to the original, but I can totally see Ecclestone in the part! "I am not a noomber! I'm a free blowk!"

Best of the David Tennant series. And, this should keep you excited, they used the middle part of the Doctor Who theme (not used in series 1 at all) for the end credits. :D

On a related topic, I just heard a rumour that Chris Ecclestone's next project is to be a remake of the classic Patrick McGoohan series "The Prisoner", as a 6-part miniseries! I am VERY excited. I don't know how it could possibly match up to the original, but I can totally see Ecclestone in the part! "I am not a noomber! I'm a free blowk!"

It's a bit more than a rumour: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-...2164214,00.html

Stephen Moffat's highly praised two-parter The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances aired on this side of the pond the last couple of weeks. I knew Moffat was a great writer from his Coupling series, as well as the Curse of Fatal Death Doctor Who sketch for Comic Relief a few years back (which I just had to watch again yesterday :D ), and these eps were truly exceptional.

Not only is Moffat able to blend comedy in with the drama with Whedon-like skill, the story was so beautifully constructed it almost sang as it was all laid out at the end of the second ep. And the Doctor's pure joy that, for once, "everybody lives". Magic. I wish he was writing more episodes!

John- chomping at the bit to see the returns of Sarah Jane and the Cybermen

Best of the David Tennant series. And, this should keep you excited, they used the middle part of the Doctor Who theme (not used in series 1 at all) for the end credits. :)

Yes - easily the best of the Tennant stories.....a superb episode in every respect......apart from one, which may be explained later, which is that it changes the history of the Cybermen drastically - but this may be tied up somehow given the makers respect for the classic series......but the image of the army of Cybermen is a modern classic.......absolutely stunning television.....

They have actually used the bridging section of the theme over the end credits in all of Tennant's episodes (including the Christmas Invasion) - but this is the first time that it has been really audible as it usually gets interrupted with a sodding voiceover from a BBC announcer with REALLY bad timing - the announcement happened a few second earlier in this episode, prompting my to wind the volume up to a ridiculous level to enjoy that final theme in all it's glory......to quote Mr Ecclestone, "Fantastic".....

They have actually used the bridging section of the theme over the end credits in all of Tennant's episodes

They have? I've been avoiding the end credits in this series because I didn't want to see the trailers - I found them rather spoilerish sometimes. :?

About the Cybermen - this is an alternative world remember, so we have alternative Cybermen! :) I've seen episodes with bits and pieces of the Cybermen's "story", but never enough to piece it all together? I don't suppose the full story is on the internet anywhere, is it? I'd very much like to read it.