The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Wow. I can't believe they are actually doing it. It's plain to any Dr Who fan that the Borg are a bit of a rip off of the Cybermen. This comic kind of acknowledges that fact by having the two villains together in the same adventure. :D

On a different note: Does anyone know where I can download the Loose Cannon recons of the missing 60s Dr Who adventures? These are legal, and created with the blessing of the BBC. Currently the only way to get them is to send a VHS tape to Loose Cannon for them to copy the episodes onto. They then return it for free, minus the cost of the stamped addressed envelope. As I don't have a VHS player I really want to get these episodes on my computer. Can any Who fan point me in the right direction?

I don't think they're actually legal or have the "blessing" of the BBC. I think the BBC turns a blind eye to them, if anything.

I'm pretty sure the BBC have mentioned these productions on the extras on one of their DVD releases. So long as they are only made available on VHS format, and so long as Loose Cannon doesn't charge for them, the BBC is ok with it. Trouble is, I want an AVI because I haven't got a VHS player.

BTW, maybe this announcement finally explains Benedict Cumberbatch's role in the new Star trek film.

He's the 12th Doctor, turned rogue, and has to destroy the alternate timelime created in Star Trek 2009!

Or Cumberbatch is the Master and Starfleet needs the Doctor's help to stop him.

I've said since series 1 of Sherlock that if Moffatt ever brings the Master back it has to be Cumberbatch.

Wow. I can't believe they are actually doing it. It's plain to any Dr Who fan that the Borg are a bit of a rip off of the Cybermen. This comic kind of acknowledges that fact by having the two villains together in the same adventure. :D

On a different note: Does anyone know where I can download the Loose Cannon recons of the missing 60s Dr Who adventures? These are legal, and created with the blessing of the BBC. Currently the only way to get them is to send a VHS tape to Loose Cannon for them to copy the episodes onto. They then return it for free, minus the cost of the stamped addressed envelope. As I don't have a VHS player I really want to get these episodes on my computer. Can any Who fan point me in the right direction?

I don't think they're actually legal or have the "blessing" of the BBC. I think the BBC turns a blind eye to them, if anything.

I'm pretty sure the BBC have mentioned these productions on the extras on one of their DVD releases. So long as they are only made available on VHS format, and so long as Loose Cannon doesn't charge for them, the BBC is ok with it. Trouble is, I want an AVI because I haven't got a VHS player.

Check your PMs.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I wouldn't call it any more than dreamy speculation, but the rumor is making the rounds that...

Benedict Cumberbatch is being lined up to play the Master next year during the 50th anniversary run.

I've said for a while that he was The Guy should Moff decide to bring the character back. But you're right, and the fact that it is predictible actually hurts the credibility of the rumor a bit without hard evidence. But we shall see.

I've been hearing this rumor since Season 5. Its just picking up steam because the BBC want people to think about Who during the break.

Oh, good grief, another "bring back Paul McGann" attempt... Cripes, as much as I liked him in the TV Movie, why this insistence on the part of sections of fandom that he be brought back? Because he still looks mostly like he did in the TV Movie, compared to the other actors who played the Doctor? Because he needs to be "canonised"? (he already has been, a few times in the new series.) I'm sorry, nothing personal, but why why why?

Bring back India Fisher, that's what I say! :wub::D

MORE American Dr Who? God I miss RTD.

You know, Pertwee said it best. He said that Dr Who is at its best when it is set in suburbia. There's nothing more frightening than finding a Yeti sitting on your loo in Tooting Bec, he said. Let's get away from this galling "bigger and bigger" attitude of recent seasons, and focus more on smaller, scarier stories. Why do the producers feel the need to "blow our minds" with each episode? I'd rather watch something smaller, more intimate, and mainly more scary!

I still think the Eccleston season is my favourite of the new version of Dr Who, primarily because (apart from Eccleston being bloody brilliant!) the stories were better paced, and mostly set in believable and/or more mundane and familiar surroundings.

I still think the Eccleston season is my favourite of the new version of Dr Who, primarily because (apart from Eccleston being bloody brilliant!) the stories were better paced, and mostly set in believable and/or more mundane and familiar surroundings.

Our feelings can't be more different. I was looking on Netflix has night to watch one of his and I was literally at a loss. Only half of his episodes are really worth watching more than once and the others are varying degrees of bland to utter bad. I do think the show has become too Earth centric and I do hope for more alien worlds but I'm fine with going to more locales.

I didn't see all of Eccleston's episodes but I only remember one being really great and some being bad. And I still dislike how some episodes used to look.

But I really liked Chris Eccleston. They didn't let him fully shine. Plus there were problems with the way they were writing Rose that dragged the whole thing down.

You must be kidding? Rose is stunning.

Some episodes do already look very low budget and low tech. Really weird considering they are from 2005.

The aliens of London/World War III story looks very flat and chinsey.

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances looks great however.

Yeah that one looks brilliant, and it's very well shot as well.

I can only speak for the Rose of the first season because I haven't seen the second, but she's a character that puts me off, due to a thing here and there. At first I thought this was on purpose, the beggining of some sort of arc, but Rose more or less stayed the same and the thing that changed was making the Doctor closer to her. Father's Day was the peak of the character, of what I saw.

I have nothing against Billie Piper, however. It seemed to me she was putting a lot of effort in it.

The thing I liked about Rose is that she was not actually 100% symphatethic.

The way she treated Mickey and her Mom is actually rather selfish, and she is really possesive when it comes to the Doctor (especially when Tennant took over).

All of this is a positive, rather then a negative, and Rose's departure from the series is one of the most tear enducing moments on the revived series.

Rose is a full rounded character. Classic Who is littered with mediocre cardboard companions that are just there to scream and ask questions (though there are of course plenty of great companions there too), fortunately we've never had one in the new series yet. Martha was the closest.

I really liked Leela as a companion.

I think she and The Doctor really played off of each other well with Leela's pure instinct and The Doctor's intellectual mind.

I think she has had the best character arc of any companion.

Agreed.

At first I really didn't like Leela much and honestly didn't really look forward to watching episodes with her, but after watching about 6 stories with her before watching Invasion of Time I really wished she had a better exit. Feel the same way about Mary Tamm as well, though I liked her pretty much from the very beginning (at least by the end of her first story).

A quick "Who" question.

I saw "U/TSOD/LOTT" the other day. While I get the alternate timeline idea for the Master, why do we hear Roger Delgado's voice as Derek Jacobi is trying to remember his past? If the Timelords caused The young Master to run away, then surely the events of Delgado, Peter Pratt, Anthony Ainley, Eric Roberts, etc., would not have happened?

Thoughts?

I think you are mistaken.

It was never the young Master as seen in the Flashback that ran away. (actually it was The Doctor that ran, when he looked into the untempered schism, and he never stopped running)

Apparently somewere in the later stages of the Time war the Timelords ressurected The Master (how is never shown) because they thought he would be the perfect soldier.

But he cowered and ran to the farthest reaches of time and made himself human, and became on old man.

Supposedly this is The Master after eric Roberts.

Steef's right. It's awfully timey-wimey complicated, but it's not an alternate time line for the Master, but for the Time Lords there are two distinct continuities; pre and post-Time War, or classic series and new series.

The revamped series has so far been carefully avoiding giving to much details about the Time War. And while acknowledging the classic series, it has resisted the temptation to directly follow up on stories from that era.

Sorry to be such an idiot about this, but I thought that the Timelords sent a message through time, which caused The Master to run away, and eventually become Derek Jacobi, and now you're telling me he turned into Roger Delgado first (I'll resist the temptation to mention Emrys Jones...!)?

If the time war is locked, how can there be later stages of it?

This whole "time war" thing does and doesn't work, but I understand that it is all wibbly-wobbly/timey-wimey, and that anything can happen, which is why Dalek Caan can resurect Davros (actually, how can you resurect someone who, for all we know, hasn't been born, yet?).

The Time War is in essence nothing but a device designed by the writers back in 2005 to be able to sort of start of with a clean slate. I'm sure after running for well over 2 decades classic Who goo very cluttered and was probably already full of continuity erros when it comes to characters, races, events.

By introducing the time War and the Time Lock, the writers were able to pick and chose what they wanted to use from classic Who without being that concerned about the continuity of the old show. If they chose too they could completely ignore events of the classic show. AND it allowed them to get rid of the time Lirds, and make the Doctor a fairly unique creature.

Does all of this hold up if you look to closely to it? No, ofcourse not. It only works if the viewer is willing to let a few things slide.

But the Master's story seems to be very simple.

In the 1996 TV film, The Master falls into the Eye of Harmony. Apparently some time after that, during the time War, the Timelords manage to somehow retrieve him and ressurect him. Wether the drumming in his head was always there during the classic era and it was put there by Rassilon later is not that big of an issue.

(actually, how can you resurect someone who, for all we know, hasn't been born, yet?).

It's a time travel show....

The Moff has good taste for the ladies.

Other news that came out the other day:

- There will be 5 episodes in the fall, the Christmas special, then 8 episodes next year. I'm thinking early in the year and then the start of series 8 and the 50th anniversary celebrations will be perfectly in line for November 2013.

- Amy and Rory will be written out in episode 5. The Weeping Angels will be in this episode.

- The Daleks will also feature at some point in the fall run.

- All episodes will be single and more stand alone, no two parters, but Moffatt has also set there will stlll be a running arc thread going through them. Probably just not as involved as last year's.

The dumbing-down continues.

Why?

- Amy and Rory will be written out in episode 5. The Weeping Angels will be in this episode.

- All episodes will be single and more stand alone, no two parters, but Moffatt has also set there will stlll be a running arc thread going through them. Probably just not as involved as last year's.

I didn't expect them to go this soon. Maybe they end up sent to the past by the angels.

The story arch sounds like it's going to be more like season 5.

The dumbing-down continues. Moffatt is killing this show, dead. Bring back JNT.

What, zombie JNT? And how in the world can you possibly say Moffatt has been dumbing the show down, especially compared to JNT's era? Troll comment if I've ever seen one.

And more news from the first ever Official Convention that's taking place this weekend. Episode 5, with the Weeping Angels and the Ponds' departure, will take place and be shot (partially) in New York.

Oh, and there's this:

Non-phonecam version available on Monday.

Well didn't they just start shooting in February?