The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

No, there's also some stuff from the episode 2 Bad Wolf Bay/crash of the Byzantium location shoot. I don't know if the snow scenes were on location or in studio, but I doubt they were in Spain. ;)

The snow scenes could very well be Spain. There's a place at a bus ride distance of where they were shooting with 70 km of ski slopes and great looking mountain landscapes. You have to make the most of your locations to minimize cost. This said, you might minimize the cost even more if you shoot that in studio (another thing is if it actually looks good).

It all looks very American again. More silly pandering to the US market with Amy inanely firing her gun accidentally and saying "oops didn't mean to do that" in a hilarious way! Ha ha ha. Doctor Who is at its best when the quirkiness and eccentricity of the style and characters is grounded in its British roots, and not in such a galling stereotype of the Brits so obviously aimed at a US market. It all seems very trite and "zany" in a way that just doesn't seem to have much in common with the show's British heritage. I was worried about Torchwood: Miracle Day being too American, and it turns out my fears were well founded. I really hope Dr Who gets back to its British roots before it's too late.

On the positive side, my DVD of The Daemons just arrived! :D

As long as they keep going outside the UK in a show about going through space and time, please, I'm fine.

You know, the thing with Doctor Who is that it can be about anything, in almost any way. I have assumed that Doctor Who is never the same and there's no point in making it be the same. As long as it contains good storytelling, characters, and the humour, the drama or the action are all good if they are there, them I'm fine.

Yiur complains of a supposed Amercanization seem a bit far fetched, Pix.

Yes last season they had 2 eps set in the US. (done rather effectively)

But that's it. They were also in outer space, and London.

I havent seen Miracle Day yet, but I do agree selling it to the Yanks probably killed that franchise. Children Of Earth was an EVENT. Miracle Day did nothing.

Doctor Who has never been more popular in the States than it is right now. I'd like to think they're doing something right.

Admittedly, I could never follow the show until I got broadband TV with BBC America, because the sporadic reruns on PBS -- even though they featured the always awesome Tom Baker -- unfortunately could not pique my curiosity.

I discovered Who in my early teen years (early to mid 90s) thanks to PBS, but my local at the time station (NHPTV) was one of the most dedicated Who stations in the whole country. And Woj is right, Who has never been bigger in the US than it is right now. The new companion announcement was one of the top entertainment links on CNN the day it came out.

And I'm with Steef, I don't see rampant Americanization either. Certainly not like, say, the TV movie. Now THAT was Americanized.

I guess I am more aware of it being English myself. It's the kind of pandering to Americans that Hugh Grant used to do a lot back in the 90s. Hugh personified that bumbling sort of English stereotype in films like Four Weddings, and Notting Hill. Much as I love both those films, I find my teeth clench whenever Hugh Grant does his "look how jolly English and quaint I am" routine. Much like Rory in season 6, in fact. "Don't shoot don't shoot. Very much not in need of being shot!" Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm just blaming the massive shortcomings of season 6 on the American influence.

Rory was already like that in series 5. I really think you are overreacting.

Just calm down, put the kettle on, have a nice cup of tea and relax. Tonight go to your local for a pint of best, play some darts and get into a fight in front of the Kabab shop.

Struth!

Yeah, I don't think Rory comes off as a Hugh Grant type at all. Rory is the biggest bad-ass in the galaxy (when he's alive :lick: ).

In all seriousness, I never got that vibe at all. He's just morphed from the long suffering boyfriend to the long suffering husband. In season 6, he actually grew a lot at times and came off as a very strong character. So much so that I'm going to be more sad to see him go than I am Amy.

I should probably just keep my mouth shut and wait until we get a trailer that isn't so obviously focused on the Western episode before making any predictions. Yes I moan and groan a lot, but that's because Dr Who is still my favourite show and so the smallest faults tend to seem gigantic. I get a little too close to it, I guess.

I should probably just keep my mouth shut and wait until we get a trailer that isn't so obviously focused on the Western episode before making any predictions. Yes I moan and groan a lot, but that's because Dr Who is still my favourite show and so the smallest faults tend to seem gigantic. I get a little too close to it, I guess.

Well said, Pixie. I guess that I should do the same. I mouth off about "Doctor Who" a lot, but it's only because I love it soooooo much! I grew up with this stuff. It's my family label. My first tv memory is of watching "Evil Of The Daleks" in 1967, so you'll all forgive me if I'm a little "involved" with this show. I shall reserve judgement on series 33 (series 7? Sontar-HA!!) and I will harbour a secret desire for Matt Smith to run into the 1st. Doctor from "The Gunfighters". Roll on September...

Haha! You remember seeing Evil of the Daleks? And I thought I was old-school! My first episode was Invasion of the Dinosaurs, so you've got about 7 years on me. I envy you having seen "Evil" though. Even though you probably have very little memory of it, it's an amazing story and I can only imagine how cool it would have been to see. I have the Loose Cannon recon "on order" so I'll be able to watch it in that format soon. I can't wait! I listened to the BBC-Audio version with Frazer Hines narration a few months back and I was gripped even then. But of course, it only makes me more angry that the BBC junked the episodes in the first place! Did Leonardo junk his paintings when he ran out of attic space? Did The Beatles wipe their early mono albums in order to make new stereo ones? What were the BBC thinking??? :D

in 1967, "DW" was running percieved to be out of steam. That coupled with very little (by comparisom) storage space necessitated the re-use of tapes, hence "hasta la vista, baby" "EOTD"! You are right, of course; I don't remember all of "EOTD", but I do distinctly remember the 3 "good" daleks, called, if memory serves, Alpha, Omega, and Peter. I also remember Jon Pertwee's first appearence, falling out of the TARDIS in "SFS".

Of course, i could be lying. How do any of us at jwfan really know if any post we read is honest and "real", or just the result of very thorough research? How do we know that it is not just blagging?

Did Leonardo junk his paintings? Probably not, but very few "serious" artists are sentimental about their work, always looking ahead, and very rarely behind. I guess the BBC had this attitude when it wiped "EOTD", and countless other "DW"s. If they only knew then, eh...?

It wasn't just Doctor Who. Most of the old BBC stuff was wiped by the Beeb as well.

Rather than do a little rate increase to afford more videotapes they figured just record over the ones they already had. This was before home video so the logic that they've already been seen and sold to whatever territories wanted them seems reasonable at the onset, yet your Leonardo example is a good one. Likewise, books aren't burned in mass if no one's reading them, so the logic that burning videotapes if no one's watching them just screams stupidity and frugality.

Just consider ourselves lucky Eric Idle was around when they were wiping tapes or we'd have lost Monty Python as well. Likely most episodes would have been found around the world like Who has been, but I'm sure we would have lost a couple. Just imagine the horror.

Unfortunately we did lose most of Not Only But Also, despite Peter Cook offering to pay for the tapes to prevent them from being wiped. I can't imagine the pain of seeing your work destroyed, and being told there's nothing you can do about it. Apparently the Beeb couldn't sell him the tapes because of the legal issues. Because other actors, cameramen, and musicians worked on the episodes they would all have to give permission for Peter to buy the tapes. It's bloody stupid. I'm sure they'd have all given permission if they'd known the only other option was for the episodes to be wiped.

There's a story on one of the Who DVD releases of Ian Levine saving The Daleks (yes, the original 1963 Dalek story, Who's second story ever) from destruction. They were taped, marked, and ready to go, and he saw them, recognized, and managed to save them.

I can't imagine any of the Python eps being lost. What torture it would be to have one or two missing. They'd be legend!

Although we ARE missing the first two minutes of series 3, episode 12! For some reason the sketch, which was shown when the episode was first broadcast, was dropped from all subsequent repeats, and from all VHS and DVD releases. All official versions of this episode begin with the opening title music and skip the pre-credits sketch and animation. WHY? A poor quality version of the sketch can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNEqskb3XGk

Well, just when you think you know it all, there's more to learn :lol: . I thought I knew EVERYTHING about Python, yet I had no idea this existed. Thanks James!

• 3 months later...

Yeah, Rigg's going to be in an episode written by Mark Gatiss and co-starring David Warner. Definitely looking forward to that one.

As for the Dalek episode, the description gives the possibility for it to be very good, let's just hope they don't mess it up. Its Moffat's first proper Dalek story so let's see what he has in store.

What a devestating Summer it has been for Doctor Who. Last month Caroline John (Liz Shaw) passed away, and now Mary Tamm has died of cancer at just 62.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18995370

All this just a year after the wonderful Lis Sladen died. These women were all a big part of my childhood, and will be sorely missed.

Indeed. He was also a Doctor in The Curse of Fatal Death.

• 2 weeks later...

Started out humdrum. Ended fantastically.

I'm looking forward to the new companion....especially if the story at the end of it all becomes integral to the upcoming season.

I enjoyed this episode.

I found it funny to see the beautiful landscape in front of my city of birth as an hostile Dalek planet.

Besides that, the appearance of the hot new companion a few episodes before she was to be introduced, playing a character with a different name and that ends that way had me utterly confused. I guess Moffat is taking the mind fucking to a new level.

Well, we have seen Freema Agyemon and Karen Gillian on Who prior to becoming companions, so maybe this time he just decided to make it a plot point.

• 3 weeks later...

That's fantastic news! I'm 99% sure it'll never happen, but it's wonderful publicity for the show.

Aside from some gaping plot holes and a horribly rushed ending, I thought The Power of Three was by far the strongest episode of the season so far. Really really feelgood stuff, and most importantly it felt like proper television. It didn't feel like a dumbed down Hollywood movie crammed into 45 minutes. Bravo! A few more like that and I'll be very happy.

I actually felt the last episode was the worst of the lot so far. The first half was really good, but the end felt completely tacked on. Why was the little girl in the hospital? What were with those male nurses? Why were they taking people from the hospital? Why didn't the Doctor even acknowledge that there were other people on the ship that were going to be blown up?

It the episode was more akin to the Tribbles, where the cubes were just dumped on Earth for humans to enjoy or to unload an excess cargo I think it would have been great. All that build up and wondering and the cubes were just empty cubes? Personally, it would have been brilliant and fit the tone of the episode better than some mythical Time Lord enemy we've never heard of who wants to destroy mankind.

Either way, I can't wait for the finale and I hope all these allusions they've been making in the episodes

Christmas, eggs, scanning, flickering lights

will pay off.

That's fantastic news! I'm 99% sure it'll never happen, but it's wonderful publicity for the show.

Aside from some gaping plot holes and a horribly rushed ending, I thought The Power of Three was by far the strongest episode of the season so far. Really really feelgood stuff, and most importantly it felt like proper television. It didn't feel like a dumbed down Hollywood movie crammed into 45 minutes. Bravo! A few more like that and I'll be very happy.

I agree, pixie. I got a little tearful when I found out just who Kate Stewart was...

• 2 weeks later...