The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

The Classic era is too dated, and too long to sift through. You might happen across a decent story or two, but is it worth wasting so much time to find those? 

Yes it is, R!

Don't listen to Steef; he's talking from the same place that Cassandra was talking from, in NEW EARTH!

Nu Who would never have happened if DW had not been broadcast from '63 - '89.

All of DW history is in Classic Who, and it unfolds over 26 wonderful years.

I do, however, understand why people would want to start with Eccleston. At the very least, it saves time.

Nu-Who has a higher good episode to failure ratio. 

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Yes it is, R. Nu Who would never have happened if DW had not been broadcast from '63 - '89.

All of DW history is in Classic Who, and it unfolds over 26 wonderful years.

I do, however, understand why people would want to start with Eccleston. At the very least, it saves time.

It's not just time they're saving, it's a precedent RTD and his team set for making Doctor Who contemporary and with quality. Season One looks like utter shit, but as the BBC increased the budget, the show really does contend with other high quality drama shows - the camera work, the music and the acting are all taken up a knotch!

Of course, we wouldn't have Nu-Who without the Classic, I would say that it's becoming more irrelevant to watch the Classic era first.

I think I've said this before, but I've seen everything of WHO since the beginning -- even the "lost" episodes that are only available as still images and audio. Which is weird, because I disliked "classic" Who all through my childhood and teenage years (whenever they showed old episodes on Super Channel or Sky Channel). It was only with the 2005 reboot that I became a fan, and decided to spend about half a year going through the entire run since the dawn of time itself. :) Well, as you can imagine, it was a sluggish experience at times, but I championed through. I don't regret it now, when there are all these references to the old characters and doctors.

I think Gatiss may very well play the Brigadier here. If so, I'm not entirely sold on the idea. He doesn't have the charisma and "gentleman masculinity" of Nicholas Courtney. But we'll see. David Bradley is of course the spitting image of Will Hartnell, a role he's previously played, so that's every kind of great. To see him not only as Hartnell, but the Doctor himself. Looking forward to this; could be one of the better Christmas specials, despite Moffat.

If he's the Brigadier, it would certainly lend well to the fact that he has said he's met multiple Doctor's prior to The Five Doctor's. 

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

Until the end if the last series, Bradley did not play The Doctor. If you want to be lucky, he played William Hartnell playing The Doctor.

Yup, I mentioned this earlier. And he really nailed it in that special. Not only in looks, but also in mannerisms. Especially because there aren't any interviews with Hartnell (live footage) to work from, AFAIK.

[Edit: well, apparently there is: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/aug/22/doctor-who-rediscovered-william-hartnell-interview]

32 minutes ago, RPurton said:

If he's the Brigadier, it would certainly lend well to the fact that he has said he's met multiple Doctor's prior to The Five Doctor's. 

Of course he had. Prior to the THE FIVE DOCTORS, he met 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Nicholas Courtney even worked with Doctor#1, in the sixties.

And here's the interview (come to think of it, I've seen this before, right around the time it was released:

Interviewer: "This is your debut in pantomime. Do you see a future in pantomime?"

Hartnell: "No....no".

I shouldn't laugh, perhaps, but I found that rather funny.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Interesting. I assume that that was just after DW, or perhaps toward the end of his tenure?

Thanks for that, Thor.

Yes, it was right after his tenure, when he had to resign the Doctor role due to illness. I think it was just months before his death.

19 minutes ago, Richard said:

Of course he had. Prior to the THE FIVE DOCTORS, he met 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Nicholas Courtney even worked with Doctor#1, in the sixties.

When he said the line I was referring to, he had only met two Doctors. 

8 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Shouldn't this be The Doctor's final regeneration? In the 1990s TV movie, the 8th Doctor said he had 13 lives.

actually, EL, he said that he had 12 lives, but the line was redubbed! :lol:

It's the "of course not" scenario.

12 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

...who's the blonde?

As the scene is in the first Doctor's TARDIS, and it's at the south pole, I have a feeling that it might just be Polly.

2 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Please do! :D

I will, right after I've finished watching ROSE. Eccleston is a pure delight!

1 hour ago, Richard said:

As the scene is in the first Doctor's TARDIS, and it's at the south pole, I have a feeling that it might just be Polly.

Polly? I assume that's a character I haven't reached yet.

I didn't get further than Ian and Barbara leaving, but that was months ago.

Have to find a sea of time to watch the rest!

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

McCoy had an accent!

Tennant had an Estuary accent!

Yes, he's just showing his biases by pretending that a home counties accent is a "default."

Keep the accent! It was a huge missed opportunity that Tennant wasn't allowed to keep his. Although who knows if we'd ever gotten a Capaldi Doctor (yet another Scotsman?) in that case.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Very regionalist!

Southern twat!

53 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I quite liked Tennant's Doctor accent actually.

Now who's the...woman's personal parts?

Anyway, what makes you think that I'm from the South?

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I quite liked Tennant's Doctor accent actually.

Oh, I did too, but I would probably have liked him even more with his Scottish accent. I'm probably going to watch Broadchurch again someday just for Tennant's accent.