• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Greg1138

The Doctor Who Thread.....

5005 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

First timer? I understood it was written by someone who did already write on Doctor Who.

OLD Doctor Who though. ;)

Everybody but Richard knows that doesn't count!

In seriousness, that's true and I'd forgotten.  It's someone who wrote one story for Sylvester McCoy era DW.

You are correct ... the writer of the next ep (The Eaters Of Light) is Rona Munro, who previously wrote the last-ever story of 'Classic Who' ... the Sylvester McCoy-starring 'Survival'.  

Just now, Stefancos said:

From season -1?

Is the 90s TV movie "season 0"?

If Richard can have his system, so can I!

I like it.  I'm going to adopt it too.

My favorite seasons old-Who are -11 and -15!

Can anyone think of an instance where the Matt Smith Doctor said "Not my problem"? All the other nuWho Doctors use the phrase early in their run and it's always badass. Actually, didn't they all say it in the second episode of each regenerated Doctor's first season? 9 says it to trampoline when the Earth is destroyed, 10 says it to her when she's in Rose's body and 12 says it to the sick Dalek. I can't remember if 11 said it, though.

2 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

Can anyone think of an instance where the Matt Smith Doctor said "Not my problem"? All the other nuWho Doctors use the phrase early in their run and it's always badass. Actually, didn't they all say it in the second episode of each regenerated Doctor's first season? 9 says it to trampoline when the Earth is destroyed, 10 says it to her when she's in Rose's body and 12 says it to the sick Dalek. I can't remember if 11 said it, though.

That always sounded like a heartless thing for him to say tbh.

Not my problem.

I heard him say it last night in the one with Clara and the snowmen.

Fun episode last night ... particularly enjoyed Nardole's 'Heh, death by Scotland' in response to the Doctor saying that what would've reduced the Roman soldier to a husk was a 'complete absence of sunlight'. Would have liked some sort of nod to Jamie McCrimmon considering the story's location, but I guess you can't have everything.    

Stoked for the first of the 2-part season finale next week, with the original Cybermen and the return of Simm's Master.    

Pieter_Boelen and Disco Stu like this

Does that mean the new season will be available on Prime soon?

7 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Fun episode last night ... particularly enjoyed Nardole's 'Heh, death by Scotland' in response to the Doctor saying that what would've reduced the Roman soldier to a husk was a 'complete absence of sunlight'. Would have liked some sort of nod to Jamie McCrimmon considering the story's location, but I guess you can't have everything.    

Stoked for the first of the 2-part season finale next week, with the original Cybermen and the return of Simm's Master.    

I thought it was... ok.  It was just good, not great.  The back half of this season has been a little disappointing.  By the time "Extremis" aired, I was all set for a classic. But a string of just fine episodes took the wind out of its sails.

I'm hopeful for the 2 part finale!

I liked it quite a bit. As far as monster of the weeks episodes go, it was pretty good I thought. Plus some nice ideas, good humour ("I probably just get interrupted"), and once again Capaldi in top form.

Disco Stu likes this

I loved basically everything about the character beats for The Doctor, Bill, and Nardole.  But the rest of the story was just ok.

18 minutes ago, Richard said:

Has Moffat outstayed his welcome?

Probably since the latter half of Series 6.

It's hard to mitigate exactly where it all turned to shit as all of the series have their highlights, and we have Capaldi because of Moffatt, who has become a great Doctor...

Doing some catch-up after holiday.

The Lie of the Land: sort of ok. The fake regeneration I thought was bordering on insulting to fans, particularly as we know Capaldi is exiting. The 'reset' with Bill's Mum was touching, but felt stretched.

Watching The Empress of Mars now. Holy cow is this boring. 10 minutes to go and I'm just waiting for Nardole to reappear with the Tardis and save everyone.

I don't want to be overly negative, but the three leads aside (and a couple of good episodes), this has been by far the worst season of Who I've ever seen. The stories are struggling.

The Caves Of Andozani.

The worst Doctor Who serial? Hard to say. Certainly one of the worst ive seen. Who okayed this script? Exposition galore. The Doctor and Peri run from one warring faction to another and back again. None of them worthy of interest and certainly noone to root for.

You've stated your dislike of Caves before now, Steef ... rewatching in case you find something of merit this time round?

I recently watched The Reign Of Terror (Hartnell) and Planet Of Fire (Davison). Reign was a trial to finish ... plodding throughout its 6 episodes, unfortunately. By contrast, Planet's 4 episodes breezed by. 

Was bored and actually couldn't remember if ive seen this before.

Wasn't this considered a classic episode?

Of course I think Genesis Of The Daleks is boring as fuck toom

The format of the original series doesn't lend itself to excitement.

"Let's take a cool story and drag it out over many unnecessary episodes with forced cliffhangers at the end of each!"

nu-Who is a definite improvement, format-wise.

Arpy and Pieter_Boelen like this

My abiding memories of the old serials are endless scenes of our heroes escaping, being captured, escaping again etc...

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The Caves Of Andozani.

The worst Doctor Who serial? Hard to say. Certainly one of the worst ive seen. Who okayed this script? Exposition galore. The Doctor and Peri run from one warring faction to another and back again. None of them worthy of interest and certainly noone to root for.

What a stupid thing to say.

THE CAVES OF ANDROZANI is classic

"classic" Who, directed with flair by Grahame Harper, loaded with atmosphere, and boasting a fantastic central performance, by Davison. Now't wrong with it, at all. You're just not trying hard enough.

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

You've stated your dislike of Caves before now, Steef ... rewatching in case you find something of merit this time round?

I recently watched The Reign Of Terror (Hartnell) and Planet Of Fire (Davison). Reign was a trial to finish ... plodding throughout its 6 episodes, unfortunately. By contrast, Planet's 4 episodes breezed by. 

Ah! So you watched the transmitted version of PLANET OF FIRE, and not the SE, which is also good. Just two words...pink bikini :)

I agree about ROT.

As for COA; forget Steef. He'll never come round to the charms of classic Who. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

"Let's take a cool story and imbue it with old school charm, atmosphere, subtle humour, and sastifying performances, while, at the same time, instilling a very good, central moral code".

Sorted :)

19 hours ago, Richard said:

THE CAVES OF ANDROZANI is classic

"classic" Who, directed with flair by Grahame Harper, loaded with atmosphere, and boasting a fantastic central performance, by Davison. Now't wrong with it, at all. You're just not trying hard enough.

Davidson came across as a crashing bore, and something of a pompous twat. Tristan Farnon rather than The Doctor. I'm sorry.

Atmosphere sure...but an actual story that has the lead characters invested in the going's on rather than just running away? Classic Who has a hell of a lot of this. 

It's poor writing. If the main characters are just trying to escape, why should we care about the environment they find themselves in? 

The history of Who is actually filled with shoddy writing, slow, ponderous stories, revisiting old tropes for the sake of audience satisfaction etc etc...

I wager even at his worst Moffat still rates well above average.

Arpy likes this

Just finished today's... wow. Easily the best episode of the season. After last week's utter snoozefest, the detail in the story for this one was astounding, and a great score by Gold.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Just finished today's... wow. Easily the best episode of the season. After last week's utter snoozefest, the detail in the story for this one was astounding, and a great score by Gold.

Soundtrack releases when already

augh

As we haven't seen a season 9 release yet, I'm not holding my breath quite yet.

It was mentioned over at FSM, and there was a suggestion that Gold has been too busy to prepare a soundtrack, which would make sense with Silva's official line that it's 'not available to licence'.

Good one (although I hated the "Doctor Who" banter at the beginning), with a suitably dramatic climax. Loved how Gold let the Master bits creep into the score in the finale.

Also, some very obvious emphasis on the Master having changed gender, and the Doctor not (curiously) remembering that he never has so far. More hints for a female Thirteen, or just a red herring?

Spoiler

THE GENESIS OF THE CYBERMEN!!!

Fuck yes that was an amazing episode.

The Doctor Who shtick was funny but overlong. I'm kicking myself for not realizing who that Rasputiny guy really was immediately. The dashing smile makes it so obvious. 

Very much enjoyed it ... 'timey-wimey' tricksiness, laughs, genuinely creepy 'n' dark stuff, the return of the first incarnation of the Doctor's second-oldest enemies AND of Simm's Master.