• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Greg1138

The Doctor Who Thread.....

4730 posts in this topic

I'm still such an easy mark for the "timey wimey."  That feeling you get when it dawns on you what they're going for is cool!

Oh, and I loved every second of the comedy bit at the beginning :)  Could've gone on longer for me honestly.  I could watch Michelle Gomez being off-putting for a long time.

I haven't been a fan of Michelle Gomez's Missy before (well played but annoying), but (except for a few exaggerated bits of cheap humour here and there) I really like her in this series.

8 hours ago, Woj said:

I'm kicking myself for not realizing who that Rasputiny guy really was immediately. The dashing smile makes it so obvious. 

It was clear that he had to be someone, which makes me wonder why I didn't get it until he started giving hints.

Yeah, I was totally taken in by the disguise.  I even thought to myself at one point, "I wonder who this actor is, he's really good."

Geez louise, I can't wait for part 2 next Saturday.  Sadly, I'm going to a wedding that evening so I probably won't be able to watch it until Sunday night!  I'll just have to avoid the internet during the day Sunday.

Unfortunately I had spoiled the plot and reveals through a friend who shared some of the rumours that were floating around. Apart from knowing everything going in, it was still a great episode and one which really harkens back to the RTD era. The music was great, especially all the subtle and not-so subtle variations of the Master's theme (that literally says 'The MA-ster') and the 'This is Gallifrey'.

Even knowing Simm was Razer, the prosthetics were convincing and his character was comedy gold.

I haven't felt this excited for a finale since series 3!

5 minutes ago, RPurton said:

I haven't felt this excited for a finale since series 3!

Really?  At the end of "Heaven Sent" I was so bowled over I wanted to see "Hell Bent" immediately.  My favorite two part finale of the series.

RPurton likes this

I loved Heaven Sent, but back in 2007, I was 14 and the Utopia/Sound of Drums/Last of the TimeLords finale was spectacular. When Hell Bent aired I just wasn't feeling the same, probably because series 9 had been disappointing for me...

Disco Stu likes this

Even the concept of the episode is similar to the Utopia three-parter: The Master is in control of a large group of humans he can use to create artificial minions. 

RPurton likes this

One thing to clarify: when I mentioned 'last week's snoozefest' I was actually talking about The Empress of Mars. I realised just now that I missed out The Eaters of Light! Although it must be a standalone episode as I didn't notice anything.

That was some fabulous television. The thought of losing Capaldi and Gomez after this year is unbearable. I hope Bill stays because I couldn't handle her leaving as well, she's quickly become my favourite companion since Donna. But that's what makes Who so fantastic, eleven years on from when I started watching and there's always new characters to love. I kinda wish we had a few more episodes with Missy involved in the story of the week, I adore her.

I've never been a huge fan of Simm's Master but I'm keen to see what Moffat does with him. Anything would be better than the half-baked "End of Time" (or even "Last of the Timelords", that was such a letdown after "The Sound of Drums"). I genuinely had no idea it was him under the prosthetics even though I knew he was coming. It was a delightful little twist and Simm was very good in the role.

I also took far too long to realise that the 'hospital janitor' was Simm. Nice nod to Roger Delgado (Third Doctor-era Master) when he pulled off his disguise ... Delgado did that a lot. 

The Doctor using 'Venusian aikido' to take down the guy who shot Bill was a Third Doctor reference, too.