• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Greg1138

The Doctor Who Thread.....

4730 posts in this topic

Neil - who loves the Dr. Who theme but can't stand the show

Indeed.

Justin - Who watched Dr. Who as a young child.

:devil::)ROTFLMAOROTFLMAOROTFLMAO

Joe, who watched Dr. Who as a young man.

The theme was very cool, and I loved the Five Doctors episode, can't decide if Tom Baker or John Pertwee was my favorite, but I really like Patrick and Colin, Sylvester got a bad rap I think.

Joe 2, who wants a TARDIS.

The theme was very cool, and I loved the Five Doctors episode, can't decide if Tom Baker or John Pertwee was my favorite, but I really like Patrick and Colin, Sylvester got a bad rap I think.

I enjoyed Sylvester McCoys stuff.....Remembrance of the Daleks was a classic - but the budget constraints were really showing and the quality writing appeared to be the first thing to go sadly....

I loved The Five Doctors too.....which is quite odd when you consider that 2 of the didn't appear in it at all!! Tom Baker's scenes were taken from the unfinshed "Shada" story as he wasn't available to appear....and William Hartnell had passed away so a double, Richard Hurndall, impersonated him (quite well, I though...)...

Oh yeah...but he's a statue actually...

Well, I am a statue now. But I can vaguely recall the days when I was a freaky blue kid full of hopes and dreams and glad to be replied to by anyone on this board. Of course, with the difference that I did know when to stop the replying to the ones who replied me. Not with Stefancos, of course - He Who Now is My Lord would jest me and drive me insane, and he barely had to move a single muscle to achieve this. When I realized I was nothing but just one more newcomer to him, I turned bitter and grew indifferent to him. But now, through his endless quoting 80's films and sci-fi series, I have seen the light and appreciated the god-like status of this poster, whom I'd be glad to call my friend. Only I can't. I am not worthy. It is enough that he lit a candle for me.

Embrace your future, Tommyjohnson. Mightier things than a *sigh* Homer dressed as Indy have turned to stone and you shall be no exception. The Lord Stefancos' power knows no limits.

5 Doctors was a lot of fun, although it contained the single most embarrasing effect in the entire series IMO. The moment where Sarah is supposed to be hanging off the edge of a cliff, and it just looks like what it is: Sarah lying on a gentle incline and screaming her heart out. How WILL Sarah get out of this one??? :devil:

Sylvester McCoy does get a bad rap. They started to go a wonderful direction with the character, bringing the mystery back and making him darker. The book series Virgin's Doctor Who: The New Adventures (sadly now long out of print) continued with what the plan for the series was before the cancellation. The Doctor became cold and calcualting, willing to sacrifice his pawns in his galactic chess game. It was really great stuff.

I've also always had a soft spot for The Five Doctors. The story works very well considering what a disaster it could have been, and it's just plain cool to see so many Doctors interacting with each other. I also recommend Pertwee's The Three Doctors. It's not as good as Five, but the interplay between Pertwee and Patrick Troughton is priceless.

John- who enjoys all eras of Who, even the black and white 60s.

Sylvester McCoy does get a bad rap. They started to go a wonderful direction with the character, bringing the mystery back and making him darker. The book series Virgin's Doctor Who: The New Adventures (sadly now long out of print) continued with what the plan for the series was before the cancellation. The Doctor became cold and calcualting, willing to sacrifice his pawns in his galactic chess game. It was really great stuff.

Yes - there were some things hinted at in McCoy's stories that never got a chance to be explained properly - references to him being Merlin, Lady Paynfort's line in Silver Nemesis ("Doctor - I know your secrets, how would you like me to tell the world exactly who and what you really are?" - or words to that effect as the Doctor suddenly starts looking very, very concerned......).....this was partly carried on in the Radio Adventure "Death Comes to Time", but never fully resolved....it did, however, give us a startling revelaton about 2 of his companions (one from the TV series and one invented just for that show....Antimony....) which gave us a clue or two.... :|

I also enjoyed the Three Doctors story - and thought it was an important one as far as one or two story arcs were concerned.....and Pertwee and Troughton are great together...!

Well - it's official - Doctor Who has been commisioned for another series, to be produced by the same company and with Russell T Davies in charge again......but Christopher Ecclestone will NOT be returning as the good Doctor again.....apparently the prduction company are in talks with David Tennant to take the helm of the Tardis for the second season of this new series....

I can't help but feel a little disappointed....I like Ecclestone, but he has backed out for fear of being typecast (??).

Well - episode 2 has now broadcast and I have some thoughts.....

It was well structured, wih better writing and effects than the Pilot episode, but at one point towards the end of the episode I think even the director was confused with what was supposed to be going on.....those fans and the treee.....

Also - there were one too many forays into blindingly obvious attempts at irony - the iPod was an unnecessary (though quite funny) gag that detracted from the general atmosphere.....

All in all though, I can't wait for episode 3.....

I don't like the casting. The new doctor is some young punk. The doctor should be played by an older wiser looking person. At least he copies Tom Bakers acting style.

The episode was not anything that great, but then, wasn't bad, so the series has a chance.

I don't like the casting. The new doctor is some young punk. The doctor should be played by an older wiser looking person. At least he copies Tom Bakers acting style.

The episode was not anything that great, but then, wasn't bad, so the series has a chance.

Well - I have to completely disagree about the Doctor - but then we all have our own opinions....but I am still reticent about Billie Piper as Rose.....as for Ecclestone beinga "young punk", he is 41, making him the same age as Colin Baker was when he stepped in the Tardis - 3 of the Doctors have been younger (Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Paul McGann) - hardly makes him a young punk!

Heh, well he looks 25.

Do you remember the first doctor who? in black and white? That was the perfect aged look I think. But Tom Baker was still the best, he gave him so much character.

I'm always willing to have my mind changed, but I agree with your choice of Tom Baker as being the best! I don't think Ecclestone will reach those dizzy heights, and his rumoured replacement (David Tennant) I think will be a disaster on legs - but you never know........William Hartnell was by far the oldest Doctor - 55 when he first entered the Tardis - closely followed by Jon Pertwee at 51.....

Surely William Harnell had to have been older than 55 when the show debued? That's surprising.

One thing that I'll always remember from his era was that he would constantly flub his lines and due to time/money constraints no more takes were done and they ended up in the finished product. :wave: But he did set the standard for the character.

John- whose favorite is probably Tom Baker too, but enjoys all who played the role.

John2- still immensly frustrated at the lack of a US TV deal for the new series. banghead

Hartnell was indeed only in his 50s. He always looked older, even in his 20s he looked like someone in his 40s! Also by the time he did Dr Who he had started suffering from alzheimers (or something similarly debilitating) which caused him to fluff his lines occasionally. It eventually caused him to retire from the series (and from acting in general).

I still haven't seen the new series, but I'm hoping a friend will lend me his DVD soon!

I remember the Who show when the Dalek's shot water vapor.

I recall it being quite laughable.

Justin - Who also remembers green wormy things on a space station...

well not to worry since he's quit, they will have to cast a new one, because this present one feared type casting.

I recall it being quite laughable.

Justin - Who also remembers green wormy things on a space station...

That story was "The Ark In Space". Watch it again. Aside from the crappy effects it's an excellent story. In fact it's very similar to the plot of Alien, but was shown 4 years earlier!

Alien's story is fairly basic. Monster gets on board and starts to kill people. Alien is good in the way it is executed. Dr. Who's execution has always been somewhat....dodgy IMO.

Justin - Who also remembers one with rocks that killed people...

It was more the fact that the Alien laid it's eggs inside the sleeping humans that made me think of Alien. I still think you should watch that episode again. Sure, the effects are really cheap, but the sets are impressive for the budget, and the acting and direction are top notch on that story. Very suspenseful. AWFUL effects though. The ending is laughable. Shame really.

Well, I've finally seen the new show! Both episodes no less! Eccy rocks as the new Doctor. I also adore Rose as the assistant/companion. They really seem to have some chemistry. The first episode blew me away. I loved all the exterior location work. Episode 2 was also excellent, although amazing visuals aside I think I prefered the feel of the first one. Here's a bug in episode 1: When Eccy first enters Rose's home he looks in the mirror and comments on his enormous ears, as if he's only just regenerated and is seeing them for the first time. Later in the episode however we are led to believe that Eccy's Doctor has already traveled to Kennedy's assassination, the Titanic, and numerous other places. Hmmm. Oh well, I love the show. I'm in no way disappointed. The opening theme is easily the best version since 1979! I can't wait to see the next one. It looks more horror-based, which is my favourite kind! Seasons 12 to 14 were my favourite seasons of the original show, and they were the most horror-inspired, borrowing plots from Sherlock Holmes, The Thing, Jeckyl and Hide, Frankenstein, The Mummy, etc etc. Great stuff.

Here's a bug in episode 1: When Eccy first enters Rose's home he looks in the mirror and comments on his enormous ears, as if he's only just regenerated and is seeing them for the first time. Later in the episode however we are led to believe that Eccy's Doctor has already traveled to Kennedy's assassination, the Titanic, and numerous other places. Hmmm. Oh well,

Actually, though these events take place in the past, they are most likely to be missions The Doctor has after the pilot, therefore it makes sense.

You are not thinking fourth dimensionally.

He does have a time machine, you know..... :)

Yeah I have a real problem with that...

Seriously though, good point. I hadn't though of that. :oops:

Yeah I have a real problem with that...

Seriously though, good point. I hadn't though of that. :oops:

Yeah - hadn't occurred to me either.....D'oh!!!

QUESTION CONTAINING POSSIBLE SPOILER FOR ANYONE WHO HAS NOT YET SEEN THE FIRST TWO EPISODES BUT WANTS TO!!!!!!!!!!! Highlight and read....

What's with this revelation that Gallifrey has been destroyed in a war? What war?!??!?? I hope this is something that is mentioned and cleared up later on.....it does away with quite a sizeable chunk of Who lore....the last all-out war that the Timelords had, as far as the TV series was concerned, was the reference to the war with the Vampire Bats mentioned in "State of Decay"....so I wonder wher this story arc, if there is one, is going?? Daleks? Cybermen? The set fell down? Hmmmmm....

Greg :-)

Greg, your question about Gallifrey is a reference (I'm pretty sure) to developments that took place in BBC Books' 8th Doctor series.

My bet is it has something to do with Daleks, and we find out more later in the series. Isn't "Aliens of London" supposed to be a Dalek story?

The first Dalek story is ep. 6, apporpriately titled "Dalek". I think it's supposed to be an Alien-style plot with a single Dalek. Then they are supposed to play a major role, and according to rumors I saw be totally redesigned, in the 2-part season finale. I thought that Aliens of London was going to be the Autons until they showed up in the premire. I don't know what villan/s will be in that one.

I heart Doctor Who. I've been watching the repeats practically every night for one a half years. The storyline they just had on ("The Invasion of Tim"?) was pretty high quality. :)

CYPHER

I have to say again I really don't like this new doctor, he's like seeing kermit the frog playing yoda.

Yoda can only be played by Miss Piggy!!!!

I really like the new Doctor. His accent took about 20 minutes to get used to. I'm from Sheffield myself, so we have pretty much the same accent, but it's strange to me hearing the Doctor using my accent! I really like what he's doing with the part though. I wish he'd reconsider. It would be great if he could stay with the part for a few years. It won't type-cast him any more than he already has been, and it would give the new series a firm foundation to build upon. Besides, it's a regular job! The money must be sweet.

Greg, your question about Gallifrey is a reference (I'm pretty sure) to developments that took place in BBC Books' 8th Doctor series.

The trouble with that is thet the writer of the new show has said publicly that he doesn't count the books as "Canon", nor the audio-only adventures......so it's got to be connected with the series somehow......question is, How??

Greg - looking forward to finding out....

The trouble with that is thet the writer of the new show has said publicly that he doesn't count the books as "Canon", nor the audio-only adventures......so it's got to be connected with the series somehow......question is, How??

Greg - looking forward to finding out....

Heh, I guess he's only taking the things he likes, then. ;)

I've read that the last episode (Ep. 3) mentioned a "Time War", which would again merge very nicely with what happened in the book series. It could end up going a completely different direction though.

Did anyone see last night's episode by Mark Gatiss? My "source" hasn't got me a copy yet but from the previews it looked like it was going to be a scary one. My favourite kind! I'll take the horror-based stories over the more sci-fi ones any day. After all, those are the ones the kiddies will remember. If I'd been a 5 year old watching "Rose" I'd certainly have been a bit wary of the wheelie-bins outside our house having seen Rose's boyfriend get swallowed up by one. After watching Seeds of Doom back in 1975 I stayed away from bushes and hedges for months!!!!

Did anyone see last night's episode by Mark Gatiss? My "source" hasn't got me a copy yet but from the previews it looked like it was going to be a scary one. My favourite kind! I'll take the horror-based stories over the more sci-fi ones any day. After all, those are the ones the kiddies will remember. If I'd been a 5 year old watching "Rose" I'd certainly have been a bit wary of the wheelie-bins outside our house having seen Rose's boyfriend get swallowed up by one. After watching Seeds of Doom back in 1975 I stayed away from bushes and hedges for months!!!!

Yes - a much more Horror-orientated episode.......still has some forays into the obvious wih the writing, but the show is getting better and better......

David Tennant has indeed been confirmed as the 10th Doctor.......read the story here.....

....not entirely sure what I think about this....it's starting to feel like a real "Jobs for the Boys" type show......if you don't know Russell T Davies personally, you've got no chance.....

Well - the first 2-parter of the new series has now aired.....the musical "sting" at the cliffhanger sent shivers down my spine......the "Slitheen", whilst perhaps not terrifying, are certainly distinctive additions to the tribe of monsters that hae graced our screen over the years......and it seems they are set up for a return at some point......also we are starting to see more of the emotional side of the Doctor, which the writers have managed to do without making it sound dappy and stupid.....

Each episode is ending with a teaser for the following episode. I sat bolt upright at the end of the most recent episode when I heard that ear-splitting, nerve-jangling, fear-inducing cry "EX-TER-MINAAAAAAATE" as the end credits roled.....I shall be glued to the Telly-V once more on Saturday night - this series is getting better and better......

So far a very good episode, love how the mayor of Cardiff turns Slitheen to kill a journalist and then changes her mind when learning the journalist is with child.