• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Greg1138

The Doctor Who Thread.....

5011 posts in this topic

For anyone interested, another piece of casting has been confirmed......Episode 5 & 6 of season 2 will be a 2-parter involving the Cybermen accompanied by the new baddie in town.....wait for it.....Trigger!

Roger Lloyd-Pack will play the evil John Lumic.....should be interesting!!!

More here.....

Boycie was in Seeds of Doom back in 1976! At this rate the entire cast of Only Fools will have appeared in Dr Who by the year 3042.

Rumours that David Jason will be playing an evil "Miwionnaire" who collects alien body-parts and flogs them on the Portobello Road in order to fund his research into cloning Plonkers are completely unfounded.....

I like it! I really didn't care much for the rather flimsy looking cybermen of the 1980s. To me the pinacle of the cyberman design was 1968s The Invasion and 1975s Revenge of the Cybermen. The just looked perfect in those stories. Their faces had a more simplistic feel to them, more plaintif and slightly sad. This new cyberman design seems to capture that. I'm not sure what I think of the muscular layered torso section, but I suppose that's just changing times. The strap-on chest unit of the earlier designs might look a bit out of date to todays audiences. Mind you, Darth Vader kept his!

That's true!

"The Christmas Invasion" has been confirmed as one of the BBC's Christmas Day Highlights.....

...along with EastEnders... :roll:

Hardly a highlight.....

Greg - who will be asleep most of Christymas Day as he has to work on Christmas Eve night and Christmas night itself.... :cry:

Christmas Day Odds-on favourite for Nana Moon to dress up as John J. Rambo and wipe off the entire community of Albert Square except for the Mitchells of course who will be in prison visiting Sam. Welcome back the Mitchell brothers.

The good Doctor and Charity nights have not always been successful - witness "The Curse of Fatal Death"......but then we did get "The Five Doctors" which was, I believe, made for Children in Need as an anniversary story.....

It was surprising therefore that the reltionship should once again be revived, as an 8-minute episode starring David Tennant and Billie Piper aired on Friday night......follows on directly from the end of the last series.....if you missed it (as I did), catch it here!

:spiny:

There's no way I'll be able to watch that with my crappy dial-up. I hope it'll be an extra on the upcoming special DVD box set. Or maybe on the season 2 box set. How is it?

Incidentally I don't think The Five Doctors had anything to do with Children In Need. The special you're thinking of was made in 1993 (after the show had been cancelled) to celebrate the 30th anniversary. It was a short 2-part story called Dimensions in Time and was really really bad. It was set in Albert Square and featured the cast of Eastenders as well as all surviving Doctors (Pertwee, Baker-although Baker appeared only as narrator in special cut-scenes-cop out!, Davison, Colin Baker, McCoy). The plot centred around the Rani and the Master trying to capture all the Doctors. They already had Hartnell and Troughton (which explains why they weren't in it. Yawn..) It had a few scenes in 3D, and featured a few famous monsters (well, aging props from the Dr Who museum with random extras inside them... not very scary). The whole thing lasted about 20 minutes. I have it on video but I haven't watched it since 1993, even though it's Pertwee's final bow as the Doctor. Awful.

By the way, I've only ever seen David Tennent in two things: The Parting of th Ways, and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Interestingly, in each one there's a special effects scene in which another actor transforms into David Tennent!

Incidentally I don't think The Five Doctors had anything to do with Children In Need. The special you're thinking of was made in 1993 (after the show had been cancelled) to celebrate the 30th anniversary. It was a short 2-part story called Dimensions in Time.

Sorry - yes - that's the one......it was truly horrific.......in fact I don't think I ever saw the end it was so embarassing.....

How is the new 8-minute snippet? Ummmmm - that would be giving things away a little.... :)

......but suffice to say I am now even more eager for Christmas Day to arrive, and it ain't because of the Turkey sandwiches!

"I have a mole......"

Classic....

Da-Da-Da-Dum Da-Da-Da-Dum Da-Da-Da-Dum...

7:00pm, Christmas Day. (After which I'll watch by series 1 box set... :thumbup:)

OK, I just watched The Christmas Invasion. It was good, but not as good as I had hoped. The trailers for the episodes in the 2nd series look v.good though.

Yeah, just watched it too. As usual, Dr Who is over the top and quite awfull (the music particularly in this episode made me giggle). Dr Who's sheer awfullness has always been it's charm though. David was parodying the whole Dr Who thing throughout if you ask me. And what was with the - "No...that's from the Lion King" bit? LOL I must say i felt awful when they blew up that ship. What a stupid thing to do? Dr patches up the whole affair, and sends them off with their tails between their legs to tell the rest of the Universe and the Oxo cube priminister blows it up. Silly woman. Another reason why a woman should never be Priminister.

I enjoyed it thoroughly. I wish the Doctor had been in it for a little longer. These "problematic regeneration" stories rarely become classics (the embarassing first 2 episodes of Castrovalva, the whole of Twin Dilemma, and the horrendous Time and the Rani). The actual plot was fun but also a bit silly and simplistic, but I think that's because it was always going to be broadcast on Christmas day so they didn't want to do anything too scary. The only other episode to be shown on Christmas day was The Feast of Steven back in the 60s, and that one was a silly comedy too. However this episode was really saved by the twist with the PM at the end. At that point Tennent really showed that he will make an excellent Doctor IMO.

I'm surpriesed the little scene between the Doctor and Rose (shown on children in need) wasn't included at the beginning. It works so well! I wonder if it'll be added to the pre-credits teaser for the DVD release.

BTW I got the Tardis DVD set for christmas! For a joke my parents got me the 2006 annual as well!!! I haven't had a DR Who annual for Christmas since about 1976! ;)

I loved it!!

Yes - a little simplistic, but I think it is the best introduction for a new Doctor there has been for several incarnations......and Tennant ate up the role accompanied by a thick slice of ham - which is really what it's all about.....

I was a little disappointed too that there was not more of the Doctor - and the Lion King bit annoyed the hell out of me too - talk about gratuitous! But the slightly shocking ending offset the silliness nicely and the reference to Thatcher and the sinking of the Belgrano was eery in the extreme.....

All in all - to be honest I can't wait for the new season to start!!!! Especially with the tantalising teasers shown at the end......

Well I hardly pitied those alien bastards being blown up. That was a good episode though, nothing that great. With interesting moral questions. And I think I prefer last seasons doctor...

Well not so bad, he kind of grew on me. :| This one is even more of a punk though, heh.

Give him a chance. Ecclestone had the advantage of being in full "Doctor" mode right from his first appearance. Tennant has had to do the whole regeneration-gone-wrong thing for most of this first episode. I can't wait to see him in a proper episode (as opposed to sleeping in his jammies for the first 30 minutes). I think he will be very watchable.

Ok, I know this is probably old news to everyone by now but it looks like American TV is finally going to be showing the new series of Dr Who! The Sci Fi Channel on cable TV will start broadcasting the 13 episodes mid march! Yey! Of course the rest of the world will be watching season 2 by then but hey, better late than never I suppose. :thumbup:

Bump!

News of a new cast member has just been released........I am not convinced about this at all - however Simon Pegg did OK so I guess we'll just have to wait and see......though whether or not I'll be able to watch it without humming that bloody Armadillo song to myself and smirking constantly remains to be seen....

Any sign of season 1 in the US yet, Mr Twinkle?

I think I heard that Dr Who will be on the sci fi channel starting next week (March 17th), and that there will be two episodes back to back for the first few weeks to get people hooked! The first few episodes will be repeated over the first couple of weeks in case anyone misses them. I hope it's a smash!!! All the Americans I've shown it to have been really into it and have wanted to wtch through every episode, but I know a lot of geeks ( ROTFLMAO ) so maybe they dpn't represent the cross-section.

I don't mind the news about Peter Kay, but I'm very disturbed about the Eastenders cast showing up in one episode. It sounds too much like Dimensions in Time. And besides, I can't stand soaps!!! WHY?????????

Good news for any British fans of the classic series.....the season 12 story Genesis of the Daleks finally gets a DVD release on 10th April.....arrives in the US on 6th June.......STILL the best Dr Who story of all time in my most humble opinion....powerhouse performances by Tom Baker and Michael Wisher and a story by Terry Nation regarding the origins of his own creation made - and still make - utterley compelling viewing.....

There should NEVER have been another Davros story after Genesis. It was the perfect ending for him, killed by his own creation. Every subsequent Dalek story had to make use of the increasingly crippled and incomplete Davros, all very silly and embarassing. I'm so glad Davros is gone in the current Dr Who. Michael Wisher WAS Davros.

In preparation for the new series, the BBC have produced 13 prequel "Tardisodes" to accompany the latest adventures....whilst there is no confirmed air-date for the first full adventure (though it is due sometime in April), the first tardisode has appeared on-line and can be viewed Here.....

:(

Not with my dial-up it can't! Here's hoping they get put on the DVD release along with the little pre-Christmas Invasion scene.

Dr Who is showing in the states. I spoke to a shop owner over here who's been watching it. He's hooked! So far so good. Mind you, I haven't seen the ratings.