The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

Yes......ahem......P2P.....or buy the DVD and.....ahem.......rip it........

As far as I know, there is no other way as yet of owning it......other than a f***ing ringtone.....

KM: Seriously if you've never seen Dr Who before I can't imagine a better place to start than Episode 1, season 1 of the new series. I never thought I'd ever be able to say this, but Dr Who right now is as good as it's ever been! I haven't been able to say that since 1976!

I didn't enjoy series 2 so much - it was badly written, IMO. David Tennat will make a fine Doctor, I'm sure, but he can be seen to (not unreasonably) cringe at a few of the lines he's given.

Oh I didn't think School Reunion, Girl in the Fireplace, or the Impossible Planet/Satan Pit stories were poorly written at all! The latter especially had me on the edge of my seat. On the whole though I think season two fell a little short of season 1. Both seasons had a couple of clunkers, but they clunked a bit harder in season 2.

Not all of season 2, but mostly the Russel T Davies-written episodes, I thought...

Sure, season 1 had its duds, but... I dunno... they were kinda bad in a good way, no? :thumbup:

Season 3 has started filming.......guest stars confirmed include John Barrowman reprising his role as Captain Jack - who features in the season finale - no doubt as part of his role in the whole Torchwood thing....This years Christmas Special guest stars Catherine Tate - which we already know about - but will also feature the return of the Killer Robot Santas.......

Greg - who has been thinking.....

......the first two series have each given us the return of a "beloved" villain......the Daleks in seaons 1 and the Cybermen in season 2........so what will season 3 bring us.......? The Sontaarans? The Master? The Yeti?

I would like to thing that the Master would finally make an appearance after miraculously escaping from the Eye of Harmony (those who know not of what I talk about - please go and do some Who-homework......).

.....but who would you like to portray The Master?

I'm quite certain I read that the third season will stay away from the "Classic" villains, instead bringing its own new evil into the mix. I like that idea; it needs to be established that this is a new series with new characters and new enemies, not just a nostalgia-fest for fans.

That said, a couple of self-contained episodes with some of those villains wouldn't go astray.

Let us not forget however that this series is a continuation of one that started well over 40 years ago........the beauty of the new series is that it is both a nostalgia-fest and a brand new experience for the uninitiated.....it is all continuous.....though the new Daleks and Cybermen have a bit more bite than their previous incarnations.....

Yes - bring on the new evil - Who has always had these more self-contained stories, and some of the more recent inventions are more than a match for the oldies (Sycorax and Gelf spring to mind immediately), but don't forget the heritage!

The thing I don't like about RTD's writing of the "old villains" (Daleks, Cybermen etc.) is that he seems to insist on killing them all off at the end of each episode - why can't they just be exiled into deep space or something? That way the stories required to bring them back would be a lot less contrived.

Agreed, Rob! That's exactly why I hated all the Dalek stories since Genesis, because Nation insisted that Davros had to return every time! How stupid was that??? Davros got his perfect death at the end of Genesis, it really diminishes the power of that ending when you know that he comes back for every subsequent Dalek story! They kill him off every time, and whenever he returns there's less of him! Finally he's just a head! ROFL!

Mind you, they pretty much used to do that with The Master too in the 80s. Why were 80s Dr Who stories so awful????

As for season 3, I have heard rumours (only rumours!) that RTD plans to bring the Ice Warriors back.

I've heard rumours that RTD won't be writing at all.

I don't think the early '80s stories were that bad - I enjoyed most of the Tom Bakers (because of Tom Baker, most likely), and quite a number of Peter Davison's.

I like seasons 18 and 19 very much. After that I only like a handful of stories:

The Five Doctors (why not, it's fun and very much in the "Pertwee" style like Carnival of Monsters)

The Awakening

Caves of Androzani

Vengeance on Varos (kind of)

Greatest Show in the Galaxy (at a stretch)

And that's about it. ;)

I've heard rumours that RTD won't be writing at all.

"RTD" has been confirmed as one of the writers of episode(s) in Season 3, as have Steven Moffat, Gareth Roberts, Paul Cornell, Helen Raynor, Chris Chibnall and Stephen Greenhorn.

You're right:

Tennant back in the Tardis, as filming gets under way for series three of Doctor Who

David Tennant returns to his role as the tenth Time Lord and meets his brand new companion as filming commences on the highly-anticipated third series of Doctor Who for BBC ONE.

The new series, which commences filming this week, also marks the debut of newcomer Freema Agyeman who steps into Billie Piper's shoes as the Doctor's new companion, medical student Martha Jones.

Freema Agyeman, who will star alongside Tennant in all 13 episodes in series three, says: "I am still pinching myself and can't wait to get started!

"It's been nerve wracking but David has been brilliant in helping me to adjust on my first days on set. I am really looking forward to travelling through time and space with him over the next eight months."

Russell T Davies, writer and Executive Producer, adds: "We were delighted and honoured by the second series' success, and we can promise new thrills, new laughs and some terrifying new aliens.

"The Doctor and Martha are destined to meet William Shakespeare, blood-sucking alien Plasmavores, The Judoon - a clan of galactic stormtroopers - and a sinister intelligence at work in 1930s New York."

Filming of the Christmas episode which guest stars Catherine Tate as a bride who finds her wedding day interrupted by an alien plot to destroy the Earth has already been completed.

The storyline features the return of the Robot Santas and also guest stars Sarah Parish as the evil, alien mastermind.

Returning cast members include John Barrowman who will be making an appearance in the series finale. Guest stars include Anne Reid, Roy Marsden and Don Gilet.

Writers include Russell T Davies, Steven Moffat, Gareth Roberts, Paul Cornell, Helen Raynor, Chris Chibnall and Stephen Greenhorn. The directors include Charles Palmer, Euros Lyn, Graeme Harper and Richard Clarke.

The Producer is Phil Collinson; Executive Producers are Head of Drama, BBC Wales, Julie Gardner and Russell T Davies.

I must say I don't have high hopes for the Catherine Tate episode. :|

:| Beneath the Planet of the Apes

At the same time it's been made official that Series 2 will debut over here next month, and that The Christmas Invasion will be shown first as part of a two hour block on premier night. Still no word on how it will be shown, though.

• 1 month later...

Aha - Resurrction of the Thread....few bits of news for anyone interested......

Thelma Barlow (Mavis from Corrie) will play a villain in Season 3, in an episode that will also feature Mark Gattis as a scientist.

The Sarah Jane Adventures will air early next year - which I'm not getting too excited about as it is being made as a children's programme, but it might be worth a look...

I had absolutely no idea that whenever a scene has been filmed in a cave over the past couple of years, the cave has been part of a complex less than 20 miles from me.....part of which is still adorned with the demonic writing from The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit.....

Most of the season 3 episodes are to be set on earth (as with Season 2).....

The Runaway Bride will air on Christmas Day in the UK (though this remains unconfirmed as yet.....I seem to remember we didn't find out a definate date for lasy years Xmas special until a couploe of weeks before....)

beerchug

The Sarah Jane Adventures will air early next year - which I'm not getting too excited about as it is being made as a children's programme, but it might be worth a look...

Hasn't this been tried already. *cough*K9 And Company*cough*. I hope that between this, Who, and Torchwood Davies doesn't get too much on his plate.

Most of the season 3 episodes are to be set on earth (as with Season 2).....

And Series 1. I understand budget constraints, but it would be nice if the great time/space machine could travel in space every once in a while. I'd love to see the new Who tackle a Frontier in Space like epic.

US premier of Series 2 tommorrow night. The Christmas Invasion is going to be shown in a 90-minute block, followed by New Earth for a 2 1/2 hour Who debut night.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got an email from Bensons World. (www.bensonsworld.co.uk) They have a massive Dr Who DVD clearance sale going on. 30 titles for under 9 pounds each. Including double DVDs! I don't normally post "spam" and hope no one considers this spam, but it's a great offer! I'm thinking of getting Genesis, Invasion of Earth, Inferno, and basically all the double DVDs!

Just got done rewatching School Reunion for the second time since it aired Friday. Wow. Just...wow. Perfection. There is going to have to be one beyond killer ep later this season to dethrone this as my Series 2 favorite. I don't know if even a Dalek/Cyberman tag team can do that. We'll see.

The spin-off series "Torchwood" season opener airs here post-watershed on Sunday......looking forward to it.....

Greg - who watched the Army of Ghosts 2-parter last night, funnily enough......and loved it....

• 3 weeks later...

Reservoir Bots

cybermen.jpg

Greg - enjoying Torchwood immensely.....the "Cyberwoman" episode was a cracker....anyone else catching this show?

Greg :)

EDIT - PS - Soundtrack CD from seasons one and two of the new "Who" will be released on 4th December by Silva Screen.

I just got my new DVD release of "The Invasion". WOW those guys at Cosgrove Hall did a wonderful job with animating the missing episodes. I can't quite get over the fact that I've just seen two "classic" Who episodes that I'd never seen before. On the interview feature the animators all expressed an interest in animating more of the missing episodes! (Of course they did! They got paid to do it!!!) I really hope this set sells well and convinces the BBC to start a steady series of new releases of missing stories. I'm so excited!!!

• 3 weeks later...
I just found out (I don't know when this was announced) that in January 2007 a mini-box set will be released (in a simliar format to the "Beginning Box Set") called "Return of the Master", and it will feature the last two Tom Baker stories plus the first Peter Davison - The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis (where the Doctor regenerates) and Castrovalva. :|

Details finally announced on this set - entitled "New Beginnings" - Here

Looks like a good'un.....

Prepare for not one but two new companions, killer statues, the slow destruction of the Universe, cunning disguises, big beards, recursive occlusion and stick-on celery. What a combination!

LOL

I really like all three of these, and it makes sense to include them in one package as they really act like one giant arc.

Haven't seen Catrovalva in years! I remember on episode ending with a very bizarre kaleidoscopic effect that tried to look like an Escher painting and failed miserably! I remember enjoying it a lot though.

I think I'm right in saying that the whole of "Castrovalva" itself was inspired by Escher's works....

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone keeping up with Torchwood? An interesting series - the highs are very, ver good (Everything Changes, Countrycide, Cyberwoman), but the lows are starting to become really annoying.....to the point where Random Shoes was just all a bit of a silly joke....

Having said that, there have been hints of darker things to come and I look forward to a good finale build-up over the next couple of episodes......but it won't be too final as the series has just had a second season commissioned.

Anyone caught up with the Who soundtrack CD yet?

:wave:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I love the soundtrack CD. I got the one with the free pin!

Warning: possible spoilers:

So, The Runaway Bride. Well, it was entertaining, but all rather silly in the long run. The performances were all so OTT that it became like a big budget pantomime (unlike JNT's stories which were like low budget pantomime!). I found myself cringing at quite a few moments. Most of the Doctor's dialogue was garbled and spoken so quickly it made no sense. Catherine Tate was very annoying, as I feared she would be. I couldn't believe when the Doctor asked her to join him in the Tardis at the end. Very unbelievable. The robot santas were old news, and the spider, while looking fantastic, was actually just as annoying as Catherine Tate owing to a horribly OTT performance and clumsy script. Oh well. I wonder what the audience appreciation figures for this will be.

As for Torchwood, I JUST got back to the UK and have watched the entire series over the past few days. I LOVE it! I haven't seen a bad episode. I even loved the Random Shoes episode. Great series.

Yes - agree wholeheartedly - this was the first time for me that Dr Who has not lived up to the anticipation.....I thought the Spider was great however, but it just appeared way too late and not often enough to make a difference to what was - in my humble opinion - the biggest slip-up of the Who canon in the last 3 years.

Shame! But at least the tasters for the new episodes were good!

the biggest slip-up of the Who canon in the last 3 years.

I agree! I want to go back and reappraise The Idiot's Lantern now. I bet it comes across as a much better story than I first thought, in comparison to the Runaway Bride.

I must admit, I didn't enjoy the last series (David Tennant) at all. He just overacted a little too much for my tastes. And that awful forced accent (!). I also thought a lot of the stories were very over-done and melodramatic. And it's all so PC and sentimental, to the point where it's corny. I cringe just thinking of the ending of New Earth. I didn't watch the Christmas episode, but it doesn't sound like I missed very much...

My advice to the BBC: fire this man. He writes sub-George Lucas dialogue, and his plots are overly-PC... and, frankly, boring. We need some more writers like the guy in my signature.

I think that if they fired him, we would lose the series for good....he almost single-handedly brought the good Doctor back to the small screen where it belongs......plus we would also loose Torchwood, which just wouldn't be acceptable!