Score Rating: The Paper Chase

Justin

1-10: The Paper Chase  

14 members have voted

1. 1.

Don't enjoy this really....one or two moments, but not much else....

Greg - who gives it a 3 and who still likes these polls..... :wave:

I was surprised to like this film quite a bit. Maybe partly for that reason, I like the score a lot. Its not music I would imagine having wide appeal and parts of it feel very dated. But I still like the love theme, particularly in the final tracks, and some of the quasi-classical stuff is interesting. The source cues don?t really fit with the rest of the score and its hard to imagine that happening now-a-days where the main film composer would write an instrumental song for the radio in the background. Seems like a very inefficient use of a composer?s time when there?s not exactly a shortage of already written music on the radio but, anyway, very nice score.

- Adam

I don't listen to it...maybe I should try it again..except "The Passing of Wisdom",that's slavagable for Williams compilations.

k.M.

I'd give this a 7/10 or a 3/5. Not a bad score but it lacks a really memorable theme IMO. Good movie.

Justin - Getting through all the scores that nobody cares about before getting to the stuff like Jaws and Star Wars. :wave:

In the recent slew of score rating polls, Far and Away scored higher than this, but lower than several of the others. I think.

Ray Barnsbury

• 11 years later...

I really like this score. Displays Williams in at least two modes -- the elegant 70s love theme and the pure baroque pastiche. The film is quite good, although the Kevin character is one of the most uncharismatic and unsympathetic characters I've seen onscreen. Also, the tone is quite weird, from serious academic drama to wacky vaudeville comedy. But I guess that's what makes the score so entertaining too.

I voted 7/10.

34 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Huh? How have I never heard of this score or film? 

The score was released on this hard to find FSM CD:

61uy0MN9FvL._SX425_.jpg (425×422)

http://filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/26 

There are samples on that link

I wonder if a specialty label will ever re-issue Conrack & Paper Chase together now that Poseidon Adventure came back out on its own CD with more music

I came across the score by accident someplace and got swept away by the love themes. "Be Irrational" in particular seemed affecting. Could and can never put a finger on what exactly but perhaps my favourite pre-Jaws/Star Wars Williams. And a re-issue would be most welcome in this corner of the UK.

As music - ie, as a pure listening experience - I'd give it 5. As a score to a modern-day romantic drama, I'd say 7. Its an effective score, that gets the job done, and its listenable. It has a certain charm, and finese, that is almost totally absent from modern scores.  I'm not sure if anyone can ask for any more from film music? Give me TPC over more well-known, and bombastic scores, any day, and that includes several of JW's.