What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh... This place looks brand new! ;)

I'm still working my way through The Simpsons Season 5 on DVD. I've watched the first three discs, and will soon continue with the fourth and final disc. Lots of great stuff in there that I hadn't seen in years. Too bad you can't seem to view the deleted scenes seperately - at least I haven't found any way to yet, except for using the GoTo button on my remote.

EDIT: Oh wait, they're tucked away on Disc 4. :P

- Marc

I saw Sin City last night. Violent movie, but you're never supposed to take it seriously, so it wasn't that tough to watch. I had a good time though with the movie, as did the audience I saw it with.

Neil

I would have prefered Episode II...

Oh! That sounds good...

Um, Neil, my *original vision* for the "What is the last film you watched" thread was to name it:

What is the last film you watched? - Episode I - A New Film

Can I go back and change it???

Jeff

I would have prefered Episode II...

Oh! That sounds good...

Um, Neil, my *original vision* for the "What is the last film you watched" thread was to name it:

What is the last film you watched? - Episode I - A New Film

Can I go back and change it???

Jeff

Shouldn't that have been Episode IV? ;)

Its time had come. It had gotten too big for the board and was screwing up. It seems I wasn't the only person tired of seeing "No Posts Exist For This Topic".

Neil

Ray

Good movie very good in fact and Fox was very good, he really carried the film. However i felt he was out done by many of his female costars. Regina King and the woman who played Bee and his mother i think were brilliant, they stole every scene they were in, sometimes i forgot Fox was in the film when they were on screen.

Its time had come.  It had gotten too big for the board and was screwing up.  It seems I wasn't the only person tired of seeing "No Posts Exist For This Topic".

Indeed. If that had continued I would have mentioned something.

Justin - Who will be picking up the SE/DE's to Star Trek - The Motion Picture and Star Trek V - The Final Frontier tonight. (Assuming that Sam's still has them....)

Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous;

Sandra Bullock does exactly what you would expect for this sequel. The movie is all over the place and really unfocussed. Some moments are very funny, sometimes it is trying too hard to be a cop/buddy flick. But my biggest complaint, though, is the GAWDAWFUL temp track that is trying to be a score. Snippets of score and songs appear and disappear with no real or dramatic reason. Truthfully, it took me out of the film more than once. Overall, good performances from all involved, Bullock and Regina King seemed to have good screen chemistry. A fun watch, but I am glad that someone else paid for me to go...

If you haven't seen it, wait, it'll be out on DVD in about a month.

3/5

Why on earh would you want to see that? I saw the first one because I went to see Traffic, but it wasn't playing. I've yet to recover from the awesome badness of that film.

I just saw Miss Congeniality 2, as well, and I thought it was pretty good. BKL, what was that source music they were playing at the pirate show? I know I recognized it, but I can't put my finger on it.

~Sturgis, sad to see the old thread go

Why on earh would you want to see that? I saw the first one because I went to see Traffic, but it wasn't playing. I've yet to recover from the awesome badness of that film.

A. I like Sandra Bullock and thought Miss Congeniality was a good movie.

B. As I said, someone else was paying so I didn't choose the movie.

what was that source music they were playing at the pirate show? I know I recognized it, but I can't put my finger on it.  

~Sturgis

Truth is, I don't remember the what that is from, though it is familiar to me also. At first I thought it was from Cuttthroat Island but I really am not sure. There are three different composers listed in the credits, Christophe Beck, Randy Edelman and John Van Tongeran... Perhaps this is one of the few original compositions for the score. Other music credits belong to 8 other composers and can be found here

BKL

I love Malkovich, I saw it twice in the theater and countless times on DVD.

Carrot juice, lots of it. I swear, sometimes it's not worth it. I piss orange.

Last night, I watched The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour. Come on people, let's get this bitch back up to 3700 posts!!

Jeff - who has "Your Mother Should Know" stuck in his head

Being John Malkovich and Life of Brian. I played it safe, I got away with it. Hadn't seen Malkovich up to now.

I love the movie. And Life of Brian ain't too shabby.

Morlock- who, whenever someone mentions that movie, always does a rather good reading of "e's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"

Morlock 2- who continues by quoting the film endelssly:

"Excuse me. Are you the Judean People's Front?"

"$%&* off! We're the People's Front of Judea"

"If you want to join the People's Front of Judea, you have to really hate the Romans."

"I do!"

"Oh yeah, how much?"

"A lot!"

"Right, you're in."

"I think it was "Blessed are the cheesemakers"."

"Aha, what's so special about the cheesemakers?"

"Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products."

Being John Malkovich and Life of Brian. I played it safe, I got away with it. Hadn't seen Malkovich up to now.

I love the movie. And Life of Brian ain't too shabby.

Morlock- who, whenever someone mentions that movie, always does a rather good reading of "e's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"

Morlock 2- who continues by quoting the film endelssly:

"Excuse me. Are you the Judean People's Front?"

"$%&* off! We're the People's Front of Judea"

"If you want to join the People's Front of Judea, you have to really hate the Romans."

"I do!"

"Oh yeah, how much?"

"A lot!"

"Right, you're in."

"I think it was "Blessed are the cheesemakers"."

"Aha, what's so special about the cheesemakers?"

"Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products."

"Why are you always on about women, Stan?"

"I want to be one. From now on I want you all to call me Loretta."

"Why do you want to be Loretta, Stan?"

"I want to have babies."

"Where's the fetus gonna gestate, you gonna keep it in a box?!"

John- who also loves Life of Brian :D

Care to elaborate?  

Morlock- who has yet to catch the movie

The look of the film was special indeed. The rest was not so special: overfamiliar music, bad casting of Gwyneth Paltrow - there was no chemistry between her and Jude Law, who I thought was pretty good as the 'Sky Captain', bad story, a poor script, bad climax, uninteresting direction of the characters. It was "interesting design" let down by almost everything else, especially a wrong leading lady, and boy was she wrong. Gwyneth should've switched roles with Angelina Jolie. Now these two, Angelina and Jude, had it "going on" instantly. I was glad when the movie ended.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Jackie Brown. Quite good. The one Tarantino film to date that doesn't have a general air of pretentiousness about it, which I find to be the most annoying thing about many a-young filmmaker. The crime plot is mildly interesting in the movie, but at the climax at the mall, I found it fascinating, and kept on guessing the whole time. The characters Forster and Greer create are extremely fleshed out and quite touching, I found, though the characters of Jackson, De Niro, and Fonda are no less compelling. De Niro is wonderful in the movie, and in the scene where somebody gets shot he's brilliant, the way he plays it.

I'd personaly rank QT's films as follows:

Pulp fiction: 9.7/10

Reservoir Dogs: 8.9/10

Kill Bill, Vol. 2: 8.5/10

Jackie Brown: 8/10

Kill Bill Vol. 1: 6.5/10

I thought Gwyneth and Jude had great chemistry in Sky Captain.

Well, I thought they provided one the worst in film history. Historically bad, in fact! I wouldn't be surprised if Gwyneth's career is in jeopardy because of it.

The film did well at the box office, and recieved pretty much rave reviews allround.

So I'm sure her career is safe and secure.

Don't BS. It didn't even break even in the US. It was a box-office failure. And if critics praised it, they did it mostly for its visuals. Her career is in severe jeopardy, my friend. Don't forget, she a woman working in Hollywood. Here decline has already started. You should trust me more often. I know about these things.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Everybody is talented at something, Stefancos. Let's just say that I have a well-trained eye for these things.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I haven't watched a movie in a looong time. So I feel as though I cannot participate in this thread.

I'm looking forward to seeing however:

Amityville Horror (remake)

The Ring 2

The Interpreter

HHGTTG

ROTS

So on and so forth. I'll be back here when I get the time to see something.

I just saw Sin City. I must confess I really enjoyed it. I'm not a comic-book collector so I had no idea what to expect from this. It's really stylized and angular, both in it's sets and in it's storylines. The acting is universally excellent, especially given that they are delivering typical "comic book speech bubble" type dialogue. If the acting hadn't been so straight laced and sincere the dialogue would have seemed horrible, but as it is it really seemed appropriate. The look of the film is terrific, and the characters are really quite endearing. The film itself is very dark, and incredibly violent. Don't even think of taking a kiddy-winkie to see this. Take them to see ROTS instead (whatever George says!). There are messy decapitations, severings, and disembowlings. The blood is shown in a variety of different colours (often bright yellow) against the black and white of the rest of the movie. I don't want to give too much away, but the film follows 4 seemingly unconnected stories taking place in "Sin City". Of course there are small connections, but ultimately this is a series of very cool vignettes. Recommended! After receiving 14,000 user votes on IMDB.com it is currently in their top 100 movies of all time with 8.4/10. Not bad. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's certainly a well put together movie.

I just saw Sin City. I must confess I really enjoyed it. I'm not a comic-book collector so I had no idea what to expect from this. It's really stylized and angular, both in it's sets and in it's storylines. The acting is universally excellent, especially given that they are delivering typical "comic book speech bubble" type dialogue. If the acting hadn't been so straight laced and sincere the dialogue would have seemed horrible, but as it is it really seemed appropriate. The look of the film is terrific, and the characters are really quite endearing. The film itself is very dark, and incredibly violent. Don't even think of taking a kiddy-winkie to see this. Take them to see ROTS instead (whatever George says!). There are messy decapitations, severings, and disembowlings. The blood is shown in a variety of different colours (often bright yellow) against the black and white of the rest of the movie. I don't want to give too much away, but the film follows 4 seemingly unconnected  stories taking place in "Sin City". Of course there are small connections, but ultimately this is a series of very cool vignettes. Recommended! After receiving 14,000 user votes on IMDB.com it is currently in their top 100 movies of all time with 8.4/10. Not bad. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's certainly a well put together movie.

Sounds pretty great to me.