What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

I'm not sure. I know there were great things about it (including one virtuoso sequence), but the movie was strange. I've got to think about it a bit more.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna see that tomorrow. Didn't you like it?  

~Sturgis, anticipating loving it

You'll beat me to it by a day, Sturgis. :mrgreen:

It looks great. The cast, the story...Sidney Pollack...and of course JNH. I heard clips of the score and it'll be a nice complement to the film.

Be sure to pay attention to all the dialogue, I had read that it is very important with this one.

Speaking of Pollack, I saw The Firm again on TV, wow, that is really a great film. Dave Grusin's piano score was so effective, really good stuff, especially the action during the long sequence where Cruise and the albino are on the el. trains.

Love the twists and turns in their plan to thwart the firm, and the brilliant way Mitch McDeere decides to nail them. It's a long film too, but keeps you interested the whole time. Fine acting all-around. (I love Gene Hackman's performance, he manages to be slick and dangerous, and vulnerable and pathetic from one moment to the next.)

(Hey, any significance between the private investigator, Eddie Lomax (Gary Busey) in The Firm having the same last name, as the young lawyer Kevin Lomax (Keanu Reeves) in Devil's Advocate?

And what do those two above have to do with the salesman character Willy Lomax in Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman? All too coincidental...)

Greta

It looks great. The cast, the story...Sidney Pollack...and of course JNH. I heard clips of the score and it'll be a nice complement to the film.

The score was mostly the subdued Fugitive/Glenngarry Glenn Ross type, except for the two major action scenes. The music for the whole finale was quite good, but it sounds like The Fugitive meets Collateral. Nothing special about the score, it's just good, and it works well.

(Hey, any significance between the private investigator, Eddie Lomax (Gary Busey) in The Firm having the same last name, as the young lawyer Kevin Lomax (Keanu Reeves) in Devil's Advocate?

Well, maybe, because, afterall, they are the EXACT SAME FRIGGIN' STORY! It's striking how similar they are. I saw Devil's Advocate first, so the power of The Firm was kinda lost on me.

And the name Sidney Pollack doesn't mean much to me, as he hasn't made a really good movie since.....well, Tootsie. As an actor, I love him. He adds tons to The Player, Husbands and Wives, and Eyes Wide Shut, and IMO he gave an oscar worthy performance in Changing Lanes.

And what do those two above have to do with the salesman character Willy Lomax in Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman? All too coincidental...)

Nothing, as Miller's character is Willy Loman, not Lomax :mrgreen:.

I love Gene Hackman's performance, he manages to be slick and dangerous, and vulnerable and pathetic from one moment to the next.

And he's uncredited in the film!

Neil

The Clearing **1/2

Interesting, yet shallow.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I need to watch this, as I won a copy from work.

Very underrated movie. I don´t have a problem with the end (the alien thing).

Except they aren't aliens at all. They are stupid-mecha's.

Neil

LOL

what was that source music they were playing at the pirate show? I know I recognized it, but I can't put my finger on it.

Truth is, I don't remember the what that is from, though it is familiar to me also. At first I thought it was from Cuttthroat Island but I really am not sure. There are three different composers listed in the credits, Christophe Beck, Randy Edelman and John Van Tongeran... Perhaps this is one of the few original compositions for the score. Other music credits belong to 8 other composers and can be found here

It's from Chicken Run, which I just listened to a few clips from on Filmtracks, and I am stunned. In the clips they have there, the theme we heard is in "Building the Crate," and it's wonderful.

~Sturgis

Murder On The Orient Express (1974)

The Agatha Christie murder mystery starring Albert Finney; Lauren Bacall ; Martin Balsam ; Ingrid Bergman ; Jacqueline Bisset ; Sean Connery ; John Gielgud ; Anthony Perkins ; Vanessa Redgrave and Michael York.

Perfect and intelligent entertainment, with Finney unreconizable as Hercule Poirot, delivering a spirited performance. (perhaps David Suchet was the better Poirot overall, but Finney grasps the essence of the character better then the late Sir Peter Ustinov did.

He is supported by an all star cast.

The choice of Finney for Poirot might have been a gamble, but director Sidney Lumet makes a wise cjhoice for the rest of the cast.

Since each of the actors has a very limited time to create a character in this film they cast the actors to type.

So the insecure edgy assistand with a mother-complex is played by Antony Perkins.

You need only to look as Sir John Gielgud in a suit to accept him as the English butler.

If you need an fussy "American middle aged lady abroad", then Bacall is who you turn too...

And Ingrid Bergman's 5 minute scene (a continuous take) is so good that it won her an Oscar.

Sidney Lumet handles the material with elegance and with the help of the cinematography of the late Geoffrey Unsworth (2001, Superman) he turns this into a lavish production, even though most of the film takes place in the cramped compartments of an Orient Express wagon.

Richard Rodney Bennet's score, both waltzy for the train and mysterious for the darker material rounds this production of beautifully. (though I gather Bernard Herrmann was very much opposed to the direction Bennet took with his score)

A timeless piece af great entertainment

***1/2 out of ****

Did you deduct a 1/2 point simply because the train was stranded on the tracks due to heavy snow or the simple fact that this movie totally sucked and was way toooo long?

I cringe every time to hear Albert Finney speak in a phony French...sorry Belgian accent. Bring back Hercules Parrot. All is forgiven!!

By the way, saw REVOLUTION with Robert DeNiro. Sorry Dustin Hoffman. Sorry what has come over me...Al (Whoooa) Pacino. What a bomber. Stank worse than Van Sant's rehash of PSYCHO.

By the way, saw REVOLUTION with Robert DeNiro.  Sorry Dustin Hoffman.  Sorry what has come over me...Al (Whoooa) Pacino.  What a bomber.  Stank worse than Van Sant's rehash of PSYCHO.

"What a nice man."

Neil

Hahaha...Neil.

Security Guard: "More money, Mr Spielberg."

Spielberg: "Put it other there...with the other money."

Guard: "But there's no room!"

Spielberg: "Then start burning it."

Brainwave hits Steven:

"I know how to get rid of all my unwanted money: HEAVENS GATE 2"

Stank worse than Van Sant's rehash of PSYCHO.

At least it was in color!

And we could finally see what Norman was doing when looking trough that peephole.

Yeah he was having trouble getting his crotch around Divine Brown. This could be censored

It's from Chicken Run, which I just listened to a few clips from on Filmtracks, and I am stunned.  In the clips they have there, the theme we heard is in "Building the Crate," and it's wonderful.

Fantastic track from a wonderful score.

Perfect and intelligent entertainment, with Finney unreconizable as Hercule Poirot, delivering a spirited performance. (perhaps David Suchet was the better Poirot overall, but Finney grasps the essence of the character better then the late Sir Peter Ustinov did.

I think it was a serious gamble, but IMO Finney pulled it off brilliantly. He was a joy to watch, the perfect Poirot.

A timeless piece af great entertainment  

***1/2 out of ****

Yes. It's probably the fluffiest and lightest piece of entertainment ever made to stand the test of time as it has.

I saw a few movies the past couple days-

(These notes are particularly disjointed and not well thought out, even for me, so take heed)

The Pirates of The Caribbean: I was at a friend's house, I was kinda bored, and only had a few DVDs I brought over. So I decided to put this in, even though I thought I was quite sick of it by now. I was still struck by how great Johnny Depp's performance is. It's just one of the most watchable and enjoyable performances ever. I don't know how they'll be able to retain the same brilliant energy in the sequels without sounding like a total rehash. Geoffrey Rush was kinda forgotten because of all the attention Depp got, but his performance is also wonderful to watch. I'll miss him in the sequels, he was so much fun, and seemed to be having so much fun.

Empire of The Sun: The movie has a serious problem with it's narrative, that takes away a lot from what could have been a masterpiece.

And I did a Kenneth Branagh Shakespeare mini marathon, finally getting around to see two movies that I've always wanted to see, but never saw in full- Much Ado About Nothing and Henry V.

First was Much Ado About Nothing. What a wonderful, wonderful film! I was just filled with joy, I was so thrilled with this movie. I was never a huge fan of the play, but Branagh just made it as fantastic as it could be. I find the play, like most of Shakespeare's comedy, to be a bit too whimsical for my taste. But Branagh managed to keep it just as light and whimsical, but make it so substantial. What a great, great adaptation.

I loved just about every major performer in this movie, save for (I'll bet you couldn't guess who...) Keanu, who was just as bad as imaginable. Luckily he has almost no dialogue. Branagh was hilarious, definitely the best performance I've seen out of him yet (but I haven't seen Hamlet, so I guess that doesn't count for much). Kate Beckinsale, still looking beautiful (I think she was beautiful in everything pre-Van Helsing). Denzel was great. He really held his own with all these RSC veteran Shakespeareans (especially in the plotting around Benedick and Beatrice). Robert Sean Leonard was not bad at all. Richard Briers was great as always. Brian Blessed didn't have much to do, but he has as solid a presence as any actor, even when doing a small role with not too much substantial dialogue.

I LOVED Michael Keaton. All the stuff with him was great. Sure it was Beetlejuice meets Monty Python meets Shakespeare, but he really took a risk, and IMO it paid off. He was hilarious, and contrasted quite well with the rest of the film.

The film looks amazing, it has such a vibrant and joyful look to it. The cinematography is great, and the location is absolutely marvelous. If ever there was a film to benefit from location, this is it (not really, but this certainly benefited from a non-landmark location as much as any film ever has).

The score is really, really, really great. Doyle did a tremendous job. The score complements the film in a particularly fantastic way. Not too often have I noticed a score that meshed quite so well with the movie, and one that still works fantastically well from start to finish on CD.

To start quoting Shakespeare dialogue would be a fool's errand, as it is so full of gems, but, despite how obvious it is, I must say that the dialogue never ceased to amaze me. Aside from the fact that I've never heard it delivered quite so perfectly, it's just amazing how something 400 years old could be that wonderful and funny.

As I'm sure you've noticed, I've run out of adjectives a long time ago, so all I can say is this- a perfect 10 in every way.

Now, for the second one....

Henry V. This has always been one of my least favorite Shakespeare plays. I'm not sure why, but every time I've read it, I was just never moved by the character of Henry until the King's repose scene. From there and through the end of the battle, I love him, but I just never connect with him before. And Catherine I just never liked. Everyone around them I love, but without the two of them, most of the first two thirds of the play (and film) doesn't really hold a tremendous amount of interest.

However, that being said, from the king's repose scene and through the end of the play, I'm drawn in despite myself. It's impossible not to. I have a whole list of notes about the play, but I'd rather leave them for now, and deal strictly with the movie.

The movie, as I said, didn't hold much interest in the first two thirds, save the Falstaff section and the scenes with the French, and even those were mainly because of the performers, less because of the material. Paul Scofield was great, less of a weakling than his character was in the play, and I liked that a lot. He just captured the king who was so weary of fighting beautifully. I loved Richard Easton in the movie.

Getting on to the things I whole-heartedly loved. Obviously, the Agincourt scenes were just breathtaking. As he began the Crispin's speech, I wasn't sure Branagh would sell me, but by the time he reached "We merry few...." I was ready to enlist. And Doyle's music during the speech is some of the most inspiring and uplifting music I've ever heard in a film, and it just fits so perfectly (more on that in a moment).

I loved where Branagh put Derek Jacobi in the film, and him at the opening of the battle particularly got my heart pumping for what was about to transpire. I think the editing in battle itself was less than perfect in the beginning, it was not too interesting, but when the king and his advisors regroup around the dead captain, it becomes some of the most thrilling war footage I've seen. The music Doyle had for Branagh's face, right before they charge then is so gripping and perfect. The score in general was fantastic, though a bit too prominent in the beginning, it just fit the world is a sublime fashion.

The soldiers running back to their camp to see the children slaughtered really got me choked up, Holm, was really touching there. It was a kind of strange role for Holm, but his scene with Henry about being a Welshman was quite powerful, it really got to me.

Brian Blessed was fantastic in the whole film. His presence (again) is just one of a kind, and he is so powerful here, particularly in the scene with Scofield and in the battle, when they charge after finding the dead captain.

The Non Nobis, Domine scene was extremely powerful. The face Doyle has as he starts singing is really perfect, that weary look, and IMO the song is at it's most beautiful with his solo beginning. It's still quite beautiful as it continues with more and more voice, but IMO it gets a bit overbearing. However, the visuals are so poetic and powerful that it still fits. The negotiation scene was quite good, again, Scofield is wonderful.

I did not like the courting of Catherine scene, though. The tone was wrong.

Overall.....hard to say. I can't fault this with being a not good adapatation, as a lot of the flaws of the film I find in the play as well. I'd probably give it a 7.5/10, because the last third is as good as anything Shakespeare I've seen on screen.

"Empire of The Sun: The movie has a serious problem with it's narrative, that takes away a lot from what could have been a masterpiece."

Hmm, you don't spend much words on this one.

Was going to say the same thing, I don't have a problem with the narrative so what am I missing?

Tim - worrying that Morlock will pull a Pauline Kael (metaphorically speaking of course!)

"Empire of The Sun: The movie has a serious problem with it's narrative, that takes away a lot from what could have been a masterpiece."

Hmm, you don't spend much words on this one.

Yeah, because I've seen it many times before, and There's not too much specific I can comment on, say it's great in many ways, but overall, it's lack of a clear narrative bugs me every time I see it.

Was going to say the same thing, I don't have a problem with the narrative so what am I missing?

I feel the movie lacks a focus, lacks a frame to put it's tale in. It kind of jumps from place to place, resting in the camp for the bulk of the film, but lacking a clear narrative that drives this. It tells us what happens to the character, sure, but the story has no arc. It's our character is here, than there, than here again, than there again, than he's there, then there, then there, then here, then there again, then here. It is just a whole bunch of episodes of this kid in world war II, vaguely framed by a his parents and Basie, but even Basie's presence is somewhat odd and inconsistant. I don't feel this story is coming to tell us something, but to show us something. It's a great historical/biographical document, but it's lacking the kind of development that IMO a really great story needs.

Tim - worrying that Morlock will pull a Pauline Kael (metaphorically speaking of course!)

Though of course I may have just pulled a Pauline Kael, would you mind explaining what this means exactly?

Morlock- who incidentaly knew almost nothing of Kael's writings until a couple of days ago, when he got a few of her books of collected reviews

Last film I watched was (take a bow Hitch ;) ) Frenzy - hadn't seen it for many years and had forgotten how good it was. Aside from the rather hammy support acting, the performances were solid.

The opening shot of London with Ron Goodwin's terrific music is so perfect in its concept - leading us into a false sense of security where as Henry Mancini's rejected yet brilliant opening was far too obvious of course. There's a good idea for a future FSM release Lukas - both scores to Frenzy! :music:

Camera work and editing for the murder scenes were a joy to watch, particularly the murder of Babs when the camera departs the flat, down the stairs and stalls outside - to which there is no sound at all. Infact the sound design throughout is masterful - take note Mr. Burtt! ;)

Hitchcock also captures humour well in this film, the police chief and his wife's incessant gourmet cooking experiments are highly entertaining without being silly.

Have to say, his last great film for me.

It's our character is here, than there, than here again, than there again, than he's there, then there, then there, then here, then there again, then here.

It's the remembrance of a child. The film is shot through Jim's eyes. The film is brilliant (OK, almost).

Pauline Kael crtitcised the film for being overly sentimental and lacking any sort of purpose, she was also very harsh toward Williams gorgeous score I recall: "Williams overbearing strings and chorus try to make us feel like we are witnissing something deep and meaningful, but ultimately fails" - cynical bitch!

In response to your comments, I always perceived Basie's inconsistent presence due to Jim's own position, his age for one thing. His pre-teen years are spent with Nigel Havers as the doctor, then as he come of age he warms to Basie (and the Americans) as he is more cool in his adolescent mind.

The episodic structure you speak of is merely the stories that are being recalled by Ballard from a childs perspective, in a diary form if you like. I must actually read the original book come to think of it!

I feel the movie lacks a focus, lacks a frame to put it's tale in. It kind of jumps from place to place, resting in the camp for the bulk of the film, but lacking a clear narrative that drives this. It tells us what happens to the character, sure, but the story has no arc. It's our character is here, than there, than here again, than there again, than he's there, then there, then there, then here, then there again, then here. It is just a whole bunch of episodes of this kid in world war II, vaguely framed by a his parents and Basie, but even Basie's presence is somewhat odd and inconsistant. I don't feel this story is coming to tell us something, but to show us something. It's a great historical/biographical document, but it's lacking the kind of development that IMO a really great story needs.

Though of course I may have just pulled a Pauline Kael, would you mind explaining what this means exactly?

Morlock- who incidentaly knew almost nothing of Kael's writings until a couple of days ago, when he got a few of her books of collected reviews

Exactly.

It's from Chicken Run, which I just listened to a few clips from on Filmtracks, and I am stunned.  In the clips they have there, the theme we heard is in "Building the Crate," and it's wonderful.

For sure. I recently got this track after being impressed with the Filmtracks clip, and it's just completely amazing! One of the most motivational, driving things I've ever heard. I've been OD-ing on it as I tend to do with new pieces from time to time, and I'm sure my roommates are getting sick of my constant whistling of it. Can't help it, though - it's too darn infectious!

Ray Barnsbury

Broken Lizard's Club Dread.

I love it, if only for that smokin' perfect bodied blonde babe in it (Ducks and hides from wife).

Last movie I saw in a theatre? Hmmm... some Thai sci-fi movie when I was in Thailand last year. It was like Predator meets Jurassic Park meets The Matrix about some creature locked up beneath Bangkok for millions of years and then released by drilling. I didn't understand a word, but it was kind of cool in a funny kind of way. Lesson learned: "Farang" are the goofy, stupid throw-in extras in Thai movies. LOL

Last movie I saw in US theatres was Minority Report. I actually don't like going out to the movies much, and rather would watch them at home. But Episode III... midnight... WAHOO!!!!

-Chris

PS- Still getting these errors:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in e:Domainsjwfan.netwwwrootmodulesPNphpBB2cachePNThemeviewtopic_body.php on line 43

I can only post via quoting one of the posts that does load. Strange... I CAN read some of the posts when responding under the posting box.

For sure. I recently got this track after being impressed with the Filmtracks clip, and it's just completely amazing! One of the most motivational, driving things I've ever heard. I've been OD-ing on it as I tend to do with new pieces from time to time, and I'm sure my roommates are getting sick of my constant whistling of it. Can't help it, though - it's too darn infectious!

Indeed, it's just wonderful. I love the version of the theme in "Building the Crate" around 2:01. And the kazoos. :|

~Sturgis, probably tiring people by humming it, too

I saw "Little Shop of Horrors" the movie and live musical over the weekend. Also, watched Leave Her To Heaven last night. Mmmm, Gene Tierney...

Jeff

I saw "Little Shop of Horrors" the movie

Corman or Oz?

Oz. We scored some free tickets to the musical production and took my 9 year old sister-in-law who loved it. So, we had to show her the movie version as well! I've had "Dentist" stuck in my head for days now.

I haven't seen the Corman movie in years.

Jeff

They were having a PANTS PARTY!

Anyway, Raiders of the Lost Ark. Yes....yes...this is how a film should be....yes....yes....