What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Vietnam triple-feature:

Platoon: Excellent film, and the best of the evening.

Good Morning Vietnam: Robin Williams once again lets his ADD take control of him. A good film, with a surprisingly light tone for this evening.

Born on the Fourth of July: This was disappointing. This is one of those typical Stone films, devoid of subtlety and preachy as a clergyman on Sunday. I was looking forward to hearing a new JW score (I'd never heard any of it), but even that was a let-down. Cruise tries hard to fill the role, but you never can forget that you're watching Tom Cruise.

- Marc

I was looking forward to hearing a new JW score (I'd never heard any of it), but even that was a let-down.

The score isn't well mixed or indeed used in the film really, other than the main titles - which I have to confess did bring tears to my eyes when the sound fades and Williams music begins with the veterans walking down the parade route, flinching at the fire cracker noises. The interplay between the young Ron and girl is also touchingly scored with oboe (another one for you Ray! :) ) and the baseball game is another opportunity for Williams' theme to soar - otherwise there is little else to comment upon.

The MCA CD is quite good, particularly for the Homecoming and End Title cues. However, you are best appreciating the music as part of the 3-movement concert suite featured on the Stage & Screen Boston Pops CD - where you will also find the terrific Reivers suite.

The advantage to the soundtrack over the Stage and Screen for me is that the original score was written for double the string section, I'm pretty certain. I like that very rich string sound of the original soundtrack. I also like the opening montage although its the baseball scene that I find to be more affecting. The music feels to me like a romantic ode to a lost innocence when he hits his homerun. Not a subtle movie but the advantage is that we get some great, non-subtle music like that.

- Adam

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. It's good, but I really prefer the book, which I would recommend reading before seeing this movie.

Neil

I don't know how well they could pull of "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", because the humor is in the prose writing (although the dialogue is also funny). Lots of dry British humor, sarcasm and wit, I fear how well it will be translated to film.

Tim

Well, it was a radio series first, then a book, then a towel, then a TV series, then computer game... I'm looking forward to finding out how it does as a movie. I don't expect it to be as good as the books, but I do expect it to be good. :angry:

Marian - currently re-reading Life, the Universe and Everything and pondering which towel to take to the cinema (we have to wait until June here).

Bought the Sixth Sense and watched it for the first time

I already knew the ending so the whole movie was basically ruined for me. Joel-Osment was great as Coel and I liked Willis' character. The shocks never really got me as much as Signs did (Shyamalan films ranks Signs, Unbreakable, The Village and Sixth Sense for me). Newton-Howard's score was good but not as developed as I would've liked, but it was their first collaboration. Cinematography was nowhere near as good as his next films, overall a pretty good flick

I saw Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy today. One of my most anticipated movies of the summer, and it did not disappoint. All the wit and humor of the books is there in force, and Arthur's trip through the planet factory was one of the most awe-inspiring scenes I've seen in quite a while. I don't know what the people who complained about the book not being translated well in the movie watched, it wasn't this. Yes, things were added. Yes, things were taken out. But Douglas Adams himself worked on this script before his passing and it all reflects the personality of the author and book perfectly. Very good, and highly recommended. ;)

Saws THE BIRDS Saturday night. God damned awful. Wait...that's one of my movies. D'oh!

Saws THE BIRDS Saturday night. God damned awful. Wait...that's one of my movies. D'oh!

Well since you weren't able to perfect it Hitch, Michael Bay will! ;)

Well since you weren't able to perfect it Hitch, Michael Bay will! :P

Is Michael Bay the location of the new movie? ;) Is it near Fairvale?

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

It was great except for some idiot behind us who apparently thought that just being in the theater was the funniest thing ever, becuase he would shut the crap up!

"Ford."

"Yes?"

"I think I'm a sofa."

Justin

The Merchant of Venice. Now I gotta read the play and watch it again.

Marian - :)

Do I take it you liked it?

Morlock- is very interested to hear what some of the MB member thought of it

Do I take it you liked it?

I didn't quite know how to interpret the play's view on Jews... Shylock to me seemed very much to be portrayed like any other man (see "if you prick us..."), and his "evilness" had other reasons (and was quite understandable, considering the way he had been treated before). Yet all the "good" Christian characters seemed to take his Jewishness as the main problem. But as I said, I didn't know the play before, and I suppose far more and insightful comments have been written about this.

Other than that, I really liked it. Pacino was wonderful, and so were the two female leads. Rest of the cast was very good as well, though Irons seemed somewhat understated.

Yesterday, I finally watched Scarface....good, but not as great as Carlito's Way. And a Moroder score for a De Palma movie is just odd.

Marian - going to watch Judgement at Nuremberg now.

I loved Scarface the first time I saw it, but I like it less and less every time since. It's an entertaining way of saying crime doesn't pay, and I didn't need that.

You know what? Fuck you! How about that? -Tony Montana

Apparently, Pacino acted with an accent? Like with Carlito's Way, there wasn't a trace of this left in the German dub. To be exact, the entire dub was just as 80's as the score.

Marian - very impressed by Maximilian Schell, Spencer Tracey and Judgement at Nuremberg in general.

I saw Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy today. One of my most anticipated movies of the summer, and it did not disappoint.  

Since when did an April release become one of the most anticipated movies of the summer?

last movie watched was National Treasure, good movie, better than I figured it to be.

Then he's probably preparing himself for the eagerly awaited prequel. "The DaVinci Code". I believe the working title is "Stinking Pile of Dung", coming to a theater near you!

Tim

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of The King. Good movie. Very good movie in fact. Great score. Very great score, in fact. The beacon scene is still one of the most breathtaking things I've ever seen or heard on film.

And I also just got my Star Trek: First Contact and Nixon Special Edition DVDs. Not sure when I'll have the chance to watch them, but I watched the Nixon trailer, and I was not dissapointed. I've been looking for the trailer for a while, was unable to find a good version online, just to hear the Turbulent years. The trailer was one of the reasons for picking to buy this DVD over so many others, and, quite surprisingly, I don't regret it, as it's one of the best trailers I've seen. Actually makes me want to watch the movie.

Nixon Special Edition. Not sure when I'll have the chance to watch them, but I watched the Nixon trailer, and I was not dissapointed. I've been looking for the trailer for a while, was unable to find a good version online, just to hear the Turbulent years. The trailer was one of the reasons for picking to buy this DVD over so many others, and, quite surprisingly, I don't regret it, as it's one of the best trailers I've seen. Actually makes me want to watch the movie.

Funny, I just bought this one also today.

Wait a minute! I didn't buy Nixon! I bought JFK, Special Edition.

Then he's probably preparing himself for the eagerly awaited prequel. "The DaVinci Code". I believe the working title is "Stinking Pile of Dung", coming to a theater near you!  

well perhaps you and Alex should get your minds open a bit more,

A bad book does not equal a bad movie, if so, how do you explain Jaws.

secondly what exactly is wrong with National Treasure? Can you actually tell me? have either of you even seen it?

The Fury, once again. Still outstanding. Some of the best cinematography I've seen. Also, some great sound design (e.g. in the slow motion sequence)...which makes me wonder why in some other cases, the sound is so poor. Some crucial scenes sounds like they were mixed by Murphy in the late 90s, that nearly ruins the caroussel sequence, for example. A good remastering might help?

Marian - who will watch Ghost World on TV in a few minutes.

The Phantom Menace. I want to get hyped up for Episode III. Wanna buy some death sticks is up next week. As much as I loathe this prequel (the worst of the bunch for me - Attack of the Clones doesn't have Jar Jar Stinks that much), I just love the laser sword duels. And after all, although Lucas tried his best to make it unrecognizable, it is Star Wars.

By the way, I watched it on VHS. I seem to remember there was some difference with the DVD version (which I don't have, but am considering picking up, as the complete box set will probably feature another version with a CGI Yoda, no?)? Anybody?

I'll be watching TPM and AOTC somewere before Star Wars ROTS is released.

News regarding it on the Net has been surprisingly positive and the score is warming me up to it, I seriously need to lower my expectations for this film.

So nothing better then the first 2 prequels. :lsvader:

secondly what exactly is wrong with National Treasure?  Can you actually tell me? have either of you even seen it?

Oh yes, I saw 15 minutes of it and it was :thumbup: .

The beacon scene is still one of the most breathtaking things I've ever seen or heard on film.

You're joking right?

secondly what exactly is wrong with National Treasure?  Can you actually tell me? have either of you even seen it?

then your opinion is incomplete, and irrelevant.

watch the whole thing and it will give your opinion some real justification.

I'll be watching TPM and AOTC somewere before Star Wars ROTS is released.

Same for me I will be rewatching these movies before the release of ROTS. I can't decide whether to go watch the Original Trilogy first or Episodes I and II. Ugh, decisions, decisions.

:thumbup: Main Title - Questa Specie D'Amore - Ennio Morricone :)

then your opinion is incomplete, and irrelevant.

watch the whole thing and it will give your opinion some real justification.

15 minutes is quite enough to see what this movie is all about, namely, cliché after cliché, a dumb Indiana Jones imitation from the Bruckheimer factory. It's clear this is a movie telling what you already know. Plus, it seems my gut feeling, although based on 15 minutes, is right. The film is getting some of the worst critique since Van Helsing. Visiting 'Metacritic' tells me that 35 reviews gave it a 39 out of a 100. That's pretty bad, Joe. Films with such a low score deserve it. I think you are one of the handful of people that rates it as "good".

Will I ever see the full version of National Treasure? I don't think so. I rather spend my money on something with more potential.

----------------

Alex Cremers

You loose what little credibility you have left with posts like that.

LOL You and Joe should marry.

I would say loving National Treasure undermines one's credibility much harder. LOL

----------------

Alex Cremers

LOL You and Joe should marry.

In his country, that would not be allowed.

I would say loving National Treasure undermines once credibily much harder. LOL

Since you have not seen this film, your appriciation of Joe's credibility is worthless. :thumbup:

Since you have not seen this film, your appriciation of Joe's credibility is worthless.  :thumbup:

Stefancos, I never ate your shit, and yet I know I will not like its taste. I don't have to eat shit to know it will make me vomit.

----------------

Alex Cremers