What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Batman Begins

Still the best Batman film(live action) both thematically and in closeness to the comics. God help me but I liked the score more this time around

Blazing Saddles

Nope, I still don't get why Mel Brooks is considered hilariously funny.

The film deals bravely with some hot political topics, and even today some of it is still pretty edgy.

Carrie

Good film, but two things bothered me: Pino Dinagio shamelessly recycling Herrman's Psycho, and the use of split-screen during the final prom scene. I didn't see the point of the split-screen, and it made it more difficult to follow too. It came across as gimicky.

- Marc

Blazing Saddles

:eek::sigh:

The film deals bravely with some hot political topics, and even today some of it is still pretty edgy.

All right, we'll give some land to the ***** and the *****, but we DON'T WANT THE IRISH!

Pino Dinagio shamelessly recycling Herrman's Psycho

watch it again and see and hear just how wrong your are.

King Kong, an hour too long, but still very good, and very well acted.

Blazing Saddles

Try "Young Frankenstein" instead, from the same year.

"Put the candle ... back!"

"Some warm milk, perhaps?"

"What knockers!"

And then, Madeline Kahn being her hilarious self, much better than her Dietrich impression in "Blazing Saddles."

Anyway, I gave "Frida" another try. I liked the story a little better than I did when I saw it in 2002 (I thought it was not TV movie material because of the sexuality and nature of Frida's physical problems.) And I still think Elliot Goldenthal was unworthy of the Oscar.

Spaceballs is dumb (but kinda funny), The Producers (1968) is absolutely brilliant, Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles are very good spoofs, and The Producers (2005) is rubbish. Those are all the ones I've seen (knowingly).

I didn't like Young Frankenstein all that much, either.

Spaceballs is great, though.

Rubbish, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are loads better then spaceballs.

I suppose you looove Robin Hood: Men In Tights. :roll:

Damn kids these days...

It's not really your fault.

You were raised on films like Wrongfully Accused, Jane Austin's Mafia and Scary Movie parts 1 to 3.

What do you know, really.

That's right! Kids have no proper education when it comes to watching films. Too much choice has lowered their patience threshold. Too much spoonfeeding has destroyed their ability to look beyond the obvious. Most of you here suffer from it.

----------------

Alex Cremers

It's not really your fault.

You were raised on films like Wrongfully Accused, Jane Austin's Mafia and Scary Movie parts 1 to 3.

What do you know, really.

That's right! Kids have no proper education when it comes to watching films. Too much choice has lowered their patience threshold. Too much spoonfeeding has destroyed their ability to look beyond the obvious. Most of you here suffer from it.

----------------

Alex Cremers

:angry:

Oh how low the humanity has gone when individuals seem to have their own opinions :ola:

Everyone missed the twist ending to that film. I've watched it several times over and each time I think to myself how obvious the twist is. Yet you never see it comming until he opens that dang box.

It may be my homicidal tendencies' date=' but I thought it was plainly obvious what wa in the box as soon as we saw it.

On another note' date=' I just saw Bridge on the River Kwai. I thought it was supposed to be a good classic, but all it did was make me really mad. Now whenever I watch Star Wars and see Obi-Wan I am going to be scarred into wishing him dead.[/quote']

How exactly did you come to this? It's a film about how The British mentality nearly lead to catastrophe, yet again. Luckily they had an American action hero to martyr himself for the British dude to see the error of his ways.

Well....not really, but that more or less sums it all up.

Blazing Saddles

Nope' date=' I still don't get why Mel Brooks is considered hilariously funny.

[/quote']

Try "Young Frankenstein" instead, from the same year.

Why? Blazing Saddles is much, much better. Young Frankenstein is not a very funny movie, and all of your examples case in point.

Morlock- who thinks Brooks' funniest film is easily and by far The Producers, followed by Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, Robin Hood, and then a couple of not funny ones.

Morlock2- who incidentaly recently saw again what is, along with The Producers one of the funniest films ever made- This is Spinal Tap.

BULLY (2001) starring Brad Renfro and Nick Stahl. Powerful and disturbing movie about bullying and the effects it has on community. I haven't seen Renfro this good since THE CLIENT and he needs to be utilised more in movies. Is he still in jail? The supporting cast of unknowns are unknown.

Hitch, who is pondering over his next movie project.

Is this the same screenplay I see doing the rounds here? The one where Ken kills Barbie in MacArthur Park and then frames old crust Anthony Hopkins for the killing??? Nasty twist ending as well. As twisty as Barbie's spread legs.

Anything else. Disposable Woody Allen movie. Not bad, but totally forgetable. And it's a shame, too, as Jason Biggs is really excellent here.

The Crossing Guard. Too unbalanced for me. It has too much in it. But, still, a powerful film. The finale is pretty tremendous. Certainly forced, but emotionaly true for the characters. That scene, with Freddy with his pistol and Booth with the gun is really striking (While watching it, I said to myself 'wow').

RED EYE Crappppppppppppppppppppp

FOUR BROTHERS Crappppppppppppppppppppppppppp

THE SKELETON KEY Crappppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Kung Fu Hustle. This movie had just about everything you could as for, and it works. It's heavy on the comedy, and most of it is intentionally cartoonish (there's even a sequence that's like something out of a Roadrunner cartoon). There's also great fight choreography. There's a lot of CGI usage, and even though there are some moments that look extremely fake, it only helps to add a bit more charm. But there's also a nice story in there, and some good dramatic moments. The director, Stephen Chow, has a great visual eye, and there are just some flat out beautiful sequences, like the one part where the main character (also played by Chow) is hurled into the clouds by his foe and when he loses momentum he springs off of the back of an eagle to dive back down at him. It's a gorgeous and almost hypnotizing scene.

Great movie overall, but it takes some adjusting if you've never seen this type of Japanese film.

Tim

Coffee and Cigarrettes. Very interesting. A torture for any ex-smoker though, just like Munich.

The segment with Alfred Molina and Steve Coogan is some kind of masterpiece, and the one with Iggy Pop and Tom Waits is also pretty great.

And I know what you mean about the tortue (though I didn't have it with Munich).

Carrie. I'm luke-warm about it. The whole prom sequence is amazing though. Could be my favorite De Palma sequence.

Justin - Who thought the film overall was good but maybe a little too disturbing.

I have to see it again. The one time I saw it, I wasn't impressed. There are a few other De Palmas I found somewhat annoying, but they all had their amazing bits. I think the only De Palma that did less for me than Carrie so far was Bonfire of the Vanities.

Marian - who liked the long opening shot of that.

I was going to re-watch the Star Wars OT after a very long time over the next few weekends, but lo and behold . . . THE FILMS HAVE BEEN FORMATTED TO FIT MY F***ING SCREEN!!!!!!!!!! :P:)ROTFLMAO:D

I never knew the tragedy of fool-screen when I first watched those tapes years ago . . . now it's too late. I refuse to watch the SE on DVD, yet I try so hard to abstain from fool-screen. :cry:

In the meantime, since I watched From Russia With Love a few weeks ago, I decided to continue in the series and rented Goldfinger this past Saturday. I really enjoyed it. My favorite part has to be when the soldiers all fall down---it's the worst feigning of death I may have ever seen. But perhaps it's supposed to be a bit comical, or at least not perfect, as they're not really dead. And of course I love that classic exchange, "Do you expect me to talk?" "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die." Great score, too.

~Sturgis

I have to see it again. The one time I saw it, I wasn't impressed. There are a few other De Palmas I found somewhat annoying, but they all had their amazing bits. I think the only De Palma that did less for me than Carrie so far was Bonfire of the Vanities.

You expressed my sentiments exactly.

And of course I love that classic exchange, "Do you expect me to talk?" "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."

Love that bit too. It's me favorite Bond flick. Love the colors.

I was going to re-watch the Star Wars OT after a very long time over the next few weekends, but lo and behold . . . THE FILMS HAVE BEEN FORMATTED TO FIT MY F***ING SCREEN!!!!!!!!!! :(  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  

I never knew the tragedy of fool-screen when I first watched those tapes years ago . . . now it's too late.  I refuse to watch the SE on DVD, yet I try so hard to abstain from fool-screen. :cry:

Try to... obtain... the Laserdisc rips. Good chance you'll find them online. ... Somewhere...

In the meantime, since I watched From Russia With Love a few weeks ago, I decided to continue in the series and rented Goldfinger this past Saturday.  I really enjoyed it.  My favorite part has to be when the soldiers all fall down---it's the worst feigning of death I may have ever seen.  But perhaps it's supposed to be a bit comical, or at least not perfect, as they're not really dead.  And of course I love that classic exchange, "Do you expect me to talk?" "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die."  Great score, too.

Good for you. Keep it up all the way through. There's a few duds, but a couple of pretty good films too. Did you see Dr. No before FRWL?

Two nights ago the Fox Movie Channel dug real deep into their vault and aired "Monsignor."

Yes, that "Monsignor," which John Williams scored. The movie is stupid. Christopher Reeve plays a priest who fights in the war and gets a job in the Vatican without repercussion (Hello! A priest KILLED people!). Then he uses his Army uniform to disguise himself so he can make out with a nun. Oh. My. God. And then there's the whole story of the Vatican getting into the black market to make money. Lame. And John Williams probably did this because he was under contract or just needed something to do. The score is pretty light for a film that tries to be real heavy. I only watched an hour. I couldn't stand it anymore.

Did you see Dr. No before FRWL?

No; I saw it last year and it had Three Blind Mice as the Main Title, which kind of freaked me out. :) That's not why I didn't watch it, though. I had seen that one the most recently, so I just went on from there.

~Sturgis

As far as Michael Bay goes, the Rock is my favorite. It's the least pretentious, the one that doesn't really try to be emotional and the best acted. Not a good film, far from it, but Bay has done much worse.

Casualties of War. Powerful film. Penn is fantastic although I don't know if I totaly bought Fox. I kept thinking "Marty McFly joins the army." Although his performance is still really well done. Morricone's score is FANTASTIC the best score in a De Palma film I've heard. (Calm down, minus The Fury of course. :) ) Overall I was very impressed with the film. And humored by the brief appearence of Ving Rhames.

Scarface. A De Palma masterwork, no doubt. The film is huge in it's scope and operates from an interesting perspective about the loneliness of power. The score isn't exactly a classic but supports the film well and in the end the score really doesn't matter. One of my favorite De Palma films I've seen and very well done.

Justin

Marian - who counts it among the three worst movies. :)

All other Michael Bay movies are much worse.

Con Air and Armageddon are the other two from my bottom three.

Marian - who refuses to watch any more Bays now.

Absolutely.

Indeed.

It's the only Bay film i've seen that actually holds up.

Indeed.

Con Air is not Bay, though it certainly could be.

I don't think any of those are among the worst ever. I have a very high standard when it comes to truely terrible films.

I saw the new Pride and Prejudice. An enjoyable two hours. Slight, but fullfilling film. Keira Knightly impresses for the first time in her career (though not nomination worthy). Matthew Macfadyen makes for a fine Mr. Darcy, though I daresay Colin Firth is hard to top in that regard. Brenda Blethyn is enjoyable, but I think the character is too one note. I would have liked Imelda Staunton in the role. Rosamund Pike impresses, after that horrifying "performance" in Die Another Day. But I was really taken by Donald Sutherland. When I first saw him I thought 'there goes the neighborhood', I thought he'd be realyl out of place. But he fit right in, and was a wonderfuly warm presence in the film. He is particulaly wonderful in the last scene.

Music was fine, though the piano tune was used too often. Though Marianelli did do a marvelous job with all the balls. The music for those really got me interested in the film, which I was not looking forward to.

Cinemtagraphy was excellent. There was even a few shots that made me go 'now THAT's cinematography!'. Really great work there.

All in all, a satisfying, enjoyable, Romantic story that is not too heavy. ***/****.

It is quite good. I had a hard time getting into it, because it feels so BBC-ish, but it really unfurls quite marvelously, with a finale as satisfying as any love story has ever had. Great acting there, and a wonderful, wonderful Carl Davis score. I think I'll watch it again, it's been a while (My sister's got the special edition DVD). Very, very different in tone than the film, and, I daresay, not looking as rich, but a more involving and affecting experience, in a way only a miniseries can provide.

Bay was not involved in Con Air at any level. It was directed by Simon West and produced by Bruckheimer (among others, and is probably the reason why it feels like a Bay picture).

Tim

It is quite good. I had a hard time getting into it, because it feels so BBC-ish ...

I know what you mean, however, I don't really need lavish production values, I sat through I, Claudius and enjoyed it immensely.

I'm still dying to see that. But I generally never have more than $30-$40 or so when doing my Amazon shopping, and getting the necassery $70 has proved harder than I would have thought.