What is the Last Film You Watched? - Part II

Lurker

Good Night and Good Luck.

Very good movie, not a single forced scene, not flashy at all and a wonderful performance by the lead actor. This year nominees for best actor were particulary strong.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, maybe you have a point there. But what I meant to say is how discrete the movie is. Not a single case of overacting. It's not type of movie where you can find those sort of clips they play with each actor's nomination.

Despite all of the wonders in the script and the greatness of the cast, this film had one very important thing going for it. Black and white. Without that factor, this film would have fallen flat, regardless of all the other terrific qualities. It's the most important decision Clooney could have made for his film.

Tim

I pulled out an old Nicholas Meyer films, I love, Time After Time, with Ms Steenburgen, and then I watched parts of Pearl Harbor, where the Japanese attack, and destroy the Oklahoma and the Arizona.

The Naked Gun

I love to pull this one out every few months for a good laugh. I remember when Police Squad was on TV for only 6 episodes so natuarally I was thrilled when the movie was announced. Not as funny as Airplane! but still pretty good. The Baseball sequence is the highlite of the film starting with the National Anthem. Ricardo Montalban is great as the villian especially with his line from the Wrath Of Khan; "That's better".

Saw II sorta

My son was watching it on the portable DVD player and I was kinda watching out of the corner of my eye although he had the headphones on so I couldn't hear anything.

Interesting premise but I had the ending figured out 15 mins into the film, even without sound.

The Omen: a GREAT score!! The film has its moments (the photography mystery, the beheading and some others), but overal... not really my kind of film. Too long, it doesn't answer questions it sets up in the first half of the movie and the "kid" is not really developed.

Good movie, not great and certainly NO Exorcist.

I've never seen the Omen. Somehow, I thought it was one of those cheesy horror flicks nobody really took seriously. The score is chilling, though.

The Omen was never really taken seriously: not in 70's and not by the horror/genre fanbase.

The only people who seem to remember it as a classic are Jerry Goldsmith fans.

Jerry is the driving reason that I watched the film. I'll be watching it's two sequels as well.

Justin - Who won't touch Omen IV with an 8 foot pole.

It must be a classic, since it's being remade.

Not all remakes are of classics.

It's well made entertainment, but not something to take seriously.

Something that applies to Revenge Of The Nerds as well.

Jerry is the driving reason that I watched the film. I'll be watching it's two sequels as well.

Jerry was the only reason I saw the films at first )Although I do like William Holden in the second one). The third film is quite terrible, but has two of the best scored sequences Jerry's ever done (The Main titles and The Fox Hunt).

I like it in the same way I love Richard Donner's Lethal Weapon films.

The Leathal Weapon films are definitely classics along with the Die Hard movies. Though for Leathal Weapon if anyone takes those seriously man...I feel sorry for them. Those movies are definitely pure comedy.

It's well made entertainment, but not something to take seriously.

Something that applies to Revenge Of The Nerds as well.

Yes and Star Trek, and Star Wars, and Back To The Future and The Lord Of The Rings and pretty much all movies that are "entertainment".

So what is your point?

But I wasn't exposed to the LW movies when they came out. The only one I saw in the theaters was IV, and that was wihout really recalling anything from the earlier films. I still haven't gotten around to seeing III. To underline my LW attitude- of the three I've seen, IV was my favorite.

Die Hard, on the other hand....I think they got better with each one, and the first one is a pretty decent flick, with some fantastic moments. I love III.

I think Die Hard 2 is pretty crappy, even just seen as a big dumb spectacle film. There's a certain class and style to the original that was definitely lacking under Renny Harlin's supervision.

Lethal Weapon 3 is easily my least favorite of the four, although I think for about the first half hour or 45 minutes it's very good. Rene Russo just annoys the hell out of me in that film.

I find Die Hard 3 to be a total waste with a lame ending, which is a shame because Jeremy Irons makes a great villian and I actually like the idea of Hans' brother coming back for revenge but the movie falls flat on it's face.

Die Hard 2 is very good and did not disappoint.

The films plot twist is actually pretty clever.

I'll give you that, but the film is far too gratuitous (sp?). Hardly anyone who gets shot doesn't die in slow-motion, and people pull guns at each other for no real reason.

While Die Hard is a very violent movie as well, it portrays its violence in a slightly cartoonish way, consciously going a bit over the top. Die Hard 2 severely lacks this subtlety (yes, make no mistake, subtlety can also be found in a film like Die Hard).

and I actually like the idea of Hans' brother coming back for revenge but the movie falls flat on it's face.

Please add a spoiler warning, ok??!! Now that's one film I no longer have to see... ;)

Last week someone told me: "...yeah and the sinking of the Titanic is nicely done..."

Why don't people THINK before ruining movie surprises for others!

Last week someone told me: "...yeah and the sinking of the Titanic is nicely done..."

Oh come on Roald, you know the history of the Tantic...if you don't you need to brush up on it. Everyone knows the history by now and that it sunk. I'm pretty sure this is a joke but if you're being serious...I just don't know what to say..

That whole Simon Says thing, when he puts a bomb on the subway, was a magnificent, edge-of-your-seat sequence. One of the most exciting action sequences I have ever watched.

Irons' Simon is one of my favorite villains ever. I even prefer him to Rickman, which will lead to my public beheading, I'm sure.

Morlock- who almost wrote pubic beheading, before noticing the mistake

and I actually like the idea of Hans' brother coming back for revenge but the movie falls flat on it's face.

Please add a spoiler warning, ok??!! Now that's one film I no longer have to see... ;)

I hope you're joking.

If not here's a little hint...this is a movie discussion thread, which means movies are being discussed so if you don't want to know don't read the thread.

This public service announcement was brought to you by Mark.

Please add a spoiler warning, ok??!! Now that's one film I no longer have to see... 8O

Hardly, that revelation is only a very minor point in the film.

Watch it, it's fun.

I'm sure you are joking, right?

Crash. I don't like how this movie blatantly hammers the viewer over the head with its themes and messages, but Tony Danza was unusually good. **1/2

---------------

Alex Cremers

It's a good film with lots of great De Palma moments, even though the resolution is more or less the same as in 2001 (and obviously not nearly as well done). The score is very good, the much hated organ cue being the best. The entire sequence it was written for is absolutely brilliant.

Marian - 8O

The movie has it's moments but in the end it comes to a joke of an ending and really doesn't deliver what it promised.

It's impossible to ignore the derivative plot, cardboard characters and drearily dumb dialogue. 8O

For those who like more of this drivel, I recommend Red Planet and Sphere. ;)

Crash. I don't like how this movie blatantly hammers the viewer over the head with its themes and messages, but Tony Danza was unusually good. **1/2

Oh, I don't think it would work any other way. And Tony Danza had one of the least impressive roles in the film, in my eyes. Personally, I loved how the depressive nihilism mixed with the boundless optimism.

Saw a wonderful print of The Best Years of Our Lives at the local cinematque. I'd never seen the film before. Now, all too often, upon seeing a classic for the first time, I've been very dissapointed. This has happened with Casablance, Citizen Kane, Singin' in The Rain and The Searchers, to name a few. Not this time. I was totally blown away by the film. A poweful and still entirely effective film. There's not a bad performance in it, and Harol Russel gives as touching a performance as I've ever seen.

One of the greats, guys. ****/****.

Also saw Syriana. Good movie, very watchable...but it's politics are a bit too predictable. I liked how it fleshed it out, but there's nothing really shocking or groundbreaking there. I loved the cinematography and I loved the score.

Now, all too often, upon seeing a classic for the first time, I've been very dissapointed. This has happened with Casablance, Citizen Kane, Singin' in The Rain and The Searchers, to name a few.

This happened to me when I recently watched Citizen Kane for the first time. I liked it, make no mistake about that, but it wasn't the be all-end all film, at least in my eyes. Loved Casablanca though.

Oh, I don't think it would work any other way.

That just it! It didn't work.

Loved Casablanca though.

Funny, I can't stand Casablanca but I love Citizen Kane (which I couldn't stand to watch as a youngster).

----------------

Alex Cremers

Oh' date=' I don't think it would work any other way. [/quote']

That just it! It didn't work.

Well, it worked for me!

Loved Casablanca though.

Funny' date=' I can't stand [i']Casablanca but I love Citizen Kane (which I couldn't stand to watch as a youngster).

Well, I now love both films, but I like Casablanca more, and have seen it more often.

Saw a couple of movies.

First- Broken Flowers. I had a fine time watching it (With Murray, how can you not?), but I think the film was lacking either a discovery, or more of longing for a discovery. It's unresolved, and the search for an answer doesn't seem to be important enough.

Next I saw Leaving Las Vegas for the first time. A powerful movie with two amazingly affecting performances, but I think the movie did not end well, especialy Shue talking to the offscreen person (which is a cheap way of getting around voice over, and I found it to be very insincere). But still, a touching romance.