Williams Peaked Long Ago (A Quasi-Rant) ((2016 Edit: By a Young, Inexperienced, Brash JWFan))

Saxman717

1 hour ago, Saxman717 said:

Funny how JW trolled me again in TFA with cut-and-pasting the part from "The Return Home" of ANH in when Rey catches the lightsaber. 

JW had nothing to do with that!!!

That was JJ Abrams tracking in the 1977 recording from SW; You can hear what JW wrote and recorded for the scene on the OST.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

JW had nothing to do with that!!!

That was JJ Abrams tracking in the 1977 recording from SW; You can hear what JW wrote and recorded for the scene on the OST.

That tracked cue definitely ripped me out of the moment, a crucial moment, similar to when they tracked the original Geonosis arena music in when Anakin marched towards the Jedi Temple in ROTS.........

When will directors & sound editors learn to just let the master do his GD job and leave his brilliant art alone???   Aside from a few necessary edits here and there, ESB is a great example of what can result from cutting the film to the score and no the score to the film.

If you finds yourself directing or editing a film with a score composed by John Williams, ask yourself.......WWJWD?

In regards to the topic at hand, I consider War Horse to literally be one of the best scores he's ever written, its a masterpiece.  The man is still firing on all cylinders and writing good music all the time.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

In regards to the topic at hand, I consider War Horse to literally be one of the best scores he's ever written, its a masterpiece.  The man is still firing on all cylinders and writing good music all the time.

100% agreed.

For me War Horse and PoA are his best scores since 2000!

His post-2005 output for me goes

1 War Horse

2 Tintin

3 The Force Awakens

4 Lincoln

5 The BFG

6 Indiana Jones 4

7 The Book Thief

And I very much look forward to Episode 8, Ready Player One, The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara, Indiana Jones 5, and Episode 9.

2 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Every great artist has different phases in his life and it's quite natural to prefer a specific period over another. However, if you look at JW's career more like a student than a fan, I think it's pretty astonishing to see how consistent the overall quality of his music has always been.

As one very smart man once said, the work of a genius should not be critiqued, but only studied.

Quality post!

47 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

As one very smart man once said, the work of a genius should not be critiqued, but only studied.

I don't listen to music to study it, I listen to it for the emotional response it provides.

Unless you are actually in the music business in one way or another studying Williams' music is completely pointless. It is there to be enjoyed, not dissected!

29 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I don't listen to music to study it, I listen to it for the emotional response it provides.

Unless you are actually in the music business in one way or another studying Williams' music is completely pointless. It is there to be enjoyed, not dissected!

Studying something doesn't mean you can't enjoy it for your pleasure.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

His post-2005 output for me goes

1 War Horse

2 Tintin

3 The Force Awakens

4 Lincoln

5 Indiana Jones 4

6 The Book Thief

And I very much look forward to Episode 8, Ready Player One, The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara, Indiana Jones 5, and Episode 9.

Where would you place BFG on that ranking.

For me, I'd swap Tintin with TFA and place BFG above Book Thief.

Woops, I cannot believe I completely forgot to include The BFG!  Wow!

I'll think about it and slide it into my above post

2 hours ago, Jay said:

It's a good score, and it's unquestionably the best in the period we're talking about. But even that is very uneven, IMO, and only has about some 20 minutes of really stellar material; material that is on the same level as the previous periods we're talking about.

These discussions here and at Maintitles have inspired me to make a playlist of post-2005 Williams; of all the best cues and brief concert pieces -- i.e. really focussing the quality that is unquestionably there, but then putting the rest; the material I'm more critical of, in the shadows for a moment.