To Joe, about The Crocodile Hunter.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the release is today. No I haven't seen it. It doesn't look to good, but I really love Steve Irwin's show. He is one crazy, relentless being. He scares me watching him with those crocs. We have alligators here in L.R., but they are few, and hard to spot, and not aggressive to people in the area. I am glad that the crocs Steve has are all down under.

I will probably wait and see it at the $1. theatre in a few weeks after it tanks at the B.O.

What I want to see is Reign of Fire.

Joe, who saw Minority Report last Friday. His review is in the works.

Don't see it! This film..... has nothing to do with Australia or Australians ok!!! :mrgreen:

So. Its about Steve Irwin, who is an Aussie, so it must be a little about it. But I know its about the CIA, & mistaken identity. At least Steve has more charisma than Crocodile Dundee(Paul).

Don't see it! This film..... has nothing to do with Australia or Australians ok!!!  :devil:

Then it must be good. :mrgreen:

I read the Ebert review, and the film sounds interesting.

Forget the plot. The movie is really about Steve and Terri taking us on a guided tour of the crocs, snakes, deadly insects and other stars of the outback fauna. Steve's act is simplicity itself. He holds a deadly cobra, say, by its tail and looks straight at the camera and explains that the cobra has enough venom to kill him 100 times over.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-...ws-croc12f.html

Stefancos- who knows it probably won't win any Oscars, but who cares.

It spawned Kylie Minoque and Jason Donavan.

Besides, nothing is more entertaining then a bit of insanity.

You people should be proud of him, Steve is single handedly perpetuating the myth that Aussies are an exentic bunch.

And there is no sign of the word "mate" going out of style in his vocabulary.

Stefancos- who considers Morn a "mate", but not in the sexual sense. :mrgreen:

You people should be proud of him, Steve is single handedly perpetuating the myth that Aussies are an exentic bunch.

We are, but not in his way :mrgreen:

Well, I shall give you an example with these comman sayings.

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OI OI OI! The sporting chant that is given when one is at a soccer match or a race or something to the team that you want to win.

Chunk another shrimp on the barby! Means lets get on with it

Bugger! Means like damnmit

Plus our national food is beer with a meat pie.

Go see it.

Part of the proceeds go to animal conservation efforts, according to his interview on Leno. Great guy!

I'm going to see it to lend my support.

No, my point is that..... this film is an embarrassment for aussies!

Morn, why is it an embarrassment? Irwin is very popular here in America. Thus far, the reviews has been much better than Paul Hogan's Crocodile Dundee 2 & 3. In fact, some critic is loving this guy, just for the sake of the guy, not the movie.

Australia is made popular through Paul Hogan, then came Mel Gibson, Nicole Kidman, and now Russell Crowe, I think the world is smart enough to have a true understanding of Aussies. Plus, hey who cares if they picture Aussies to be like Irwin, as long as they like him, that's good publicity for all Aussies and for Australia.

No, my point is that..... this film is an embarrassment for aussies!

Morn, why is it an embarrassment? Irwin is very popular here in America. Thus far, the reviews has been much better than Paul Hogan's Crocodile Dundee 2 & 3. In fact, some critic is loving this guy, just for the sake of the guy, not the movie. They all know this guy is for real, no acting here. Plus, the crocs and the cobras are not made out of rubber, nor are they special effects.

That is, if he gets bitten, he's dead!!

Australia is made popular through Paul Hogan, then came Mel Gibson, Nicole Kidman, and now Russell Crowe, I think the world is smart enough to have a true understanding of Aussies. Plus, hey who cares if they picture Aussies to be like Irwin, as long as they like him, that's good publicity for all Aussies and for Australia.

Well, with Crocodile Dundee the world got our accent wrong, that movie has the accent exaggerated :devil:

With Irwin, who knows what :mrgreen:

Boy you have a serious dislike of Steve Irwin, Morn.

To bad, he puts on a great show, and he truely cares about his work.

His enthusiasim is contagious.

I think he is awesome

Joe, who also thinks he is insane, I can understand the picking up snakes, but the spiders, no.

Australia is made popular through Paul Hogan, then came Mel Gibson, Nicole Kidman, and now Russell Crowe

Mel Gibson was famous before Paul Hogan. Also remember Mel moved to Australia when he was 12. He was born in New York.

Also, you left off Yahoo Serious.

Neil

Go see it.  

Part of the proceeds go to animal conservation efforts, according to his interview on Leno. Great guy!

I'm going to see it to lend my support.

Yeah he also said that on the Conan O' Brian Show. The money is certainly going to a great cause.

-Jason

Joe, who also thinks he is insane, I can understand the picking up snakes, but the spiders, no.

Are you serious Joe? Arachnophobic?

Me, I've been bitten by a tarantula, a pet Mexican Red Knee(like the ones seen at the begining of Raiders), and a Rattlesnake, either a prarie or western diamond-back, not sure which. It's kind of hard to judge properly when you've just accidentally stepped on the big S.O.B. while walking through tall grass. While the snake bite hurt much less, the effects of the venom were enough to land me in the hospital for a couple of weeks. The spider bite just swelled a little. Even a black widow bite, while having similar toxin, isn't as bad as a snake bite unless one is severely allergic.

It amazes me that Irwin has never been bitten by a venemous snake. I was watching the special on America's deadliest snakes, and he didn't even have the good sense to wear long pants while handling the damn things.

I've been bitten by a spider. Made me feel hung over for the next few hours..... Now I fear getting bitten but don't fear the spider.

Australia is made popular through Paul Hogan, then came Mel Gibson, Nicole Kidman, and now Russell Crowe

Mel Gibson was famous before Paul Hogan. Also remember Mel moved to Australia when he was 12. He was born in New York.

Also remember that Russell Crowe is a Kiwi, though you'd never guess from his accent. He was born in Wellington.

New Zealand - the place to live if you don't like snakes.

Damien

Isn't Monica (Frances O'Connor) from A.I. an Aussie? She's a cute-bomb, I tell you what.

-Chris, Who is easily infatuated by pretty brown eyed brunettes... :oops: ;)

Are you serious Joe? Arachnophobic?

It amazes me that Irwin has never been bitten by a venemous snake. I was watching the special on America's deadliest snakes, and he didn't even have the good sense to wear long pants while handling the damn things.

I'm not quite arachnophobic, I hate spiders but I don't freak unless I find a big one crawling on me.

We have tarantula's here. I have found them in my yard. I picked it up an tossed him into the woods, unharmed. I occasionally find black widows in my yard. I exterminate them immediately. Their toxin is more deadly than any snake in America. I have cotton mouths in my pond, and copperheads. I have spotted rattlesnakes in the quarreys near my house. But I have a large # of green and king snakes in my yard and they keep the poisoness ones away from the house. Plus my cat kills the cottonmouths when they come up to close to the house too. I have no problem handling nonpoisoness snakes but I will give poisoness ones a wide berth. Copperheads are mean and they will attack rather than run.

And Steve has been bitten by a venomous snake on the show before.

Joe, you should not kill black widow spiders.

They may be poisenois, but they are not out to get you.

Not unless you try an kill them. :)

Stefancos- who lives in a country without any dangerous animals...what...so...ever.

What about furry rodents like beavers, bunny rabitts, and gophers??? ;)

Justin -Who has large stash of furry rodents at his house. :)

Joe, you should not kill black widow spiders.

They may be poisenois, but they are not out to get you.

Stefancos- who lives in a country without any dangerous animals...what...so...ever.

Yes I should, they are dangerous, they like dark places, like shoes and inside coats and shirts when found in the house.

And Stefan, you forgot there is one dangerous animal in Holland. It is called MAN

I have 50 turtles. Most of them bred by me and my bro. KM saw them last year, but they are harder to see in the pond, where they stay for the summer. In the winter, we bring them into two monsterous aquariums. They're not poisonous, but sometimes while feeding them, they can have a nasty little bite. Ow!

Brown Recluse spiders have been known to be in my neck of the woods but I've never seen one. We have some big nasty spiders around where I live, but none of them are poisonous to humans. Although they scared KM when he stayed with my family for a week. That and wasps & hornets. I catch them, nests and all, and feed them to my frogs. The only times I've ever been stung is when I don't see the nest or a dead one was on the floor or something. If I see them, I can't get stung. I'm too good... know their tendencies and how to make them frog fodder. :)

Although their may be some posionous snakes in ponds and marshes around my area, I've never had a close encounter with them. They are rare. We have grass snakes, and although they bite, they aren't poisonius. One bit me a few years ago when I tried to feed it to my turtles.

We have foxes and coyotes/coy-dogs, but you only need worry about them if they become rabid. They stay out of your way in the day. If you see them in the day, then they need to be destroyed.

The most dangerous animal around my house is our barn cat Ki-Ki, who single handedly destroys all the small rodents and birds in the area. The kills several mice a day, sometimes squirrels and chipmunks, and once even a weasel (those things are tough and can probably kill a cat, so that proves her toughness). The worst is when she kills bunnies. We had a family of baby bunnies last spring, and my brother witnessed a brutal death. The rabbit was sitting there, minding it's own business but walked too close to a hole in the wall, where a big black paw came out and pulled the rabbit into it. Well... HALF the rabbit. It got ripped in two, and it screamed for a bit before it died. Spooked my brother for a few days. The cat leaves decapitated animals (or sometimes JUST THE HEADS) all over the place for us to discover. Ah, ats! LOL

And Moulin Rouge is an aussie film!

It's also a very weird film.... :cry2:

Jamesyboy - who could only sit through 45mins of the Moulin Rouge film...my lord!

My mom just saw it tonight while I was at the racetrack. She thinks I should watch it but I don't know. My brother's girlfriend loves it and apperently sings through it! LoL!

The only real phobia I have is not of an animal... it's of needles. I dread shots. When I was in the hospital a few years ago, they had to tie me down... I hate needles with a passion! Especially getting blood drawn. :oops: UGH!

I've passed out after getting blood drawn before, and I almost passed out getting a flu shot. I haven't had one since (the doctor believes that I'm allergic to the because I am also a bit allergic to eggs, even though I love them).

It really is irrational, but they just make my skin crawl. :cry:

Nope... just a fear of being stuck or cut. Also have a fear of heavy bleeding. I get panic attacks when I see too much blood. And since I'm a WWF/E wrestling fan, when they get cut, I often have to turn my head. Grosses me out.

I am more afraid of knives, glass, and blades than I am of guns, and bombs for some reason. I can't explain it.

This is pretty common, but I am afraid of falling from heights.

If I look straight down, I get weak in the knees and edge back toward the wall to get away from the window. But I can ride roller coasters just fine.

But I really hated that Stratosphere ride in Las Vegas that shoots you straight up; I sat in the chair and realized right then I wanted off.

It's just going straight up and down, is what really kills me.

So IrishCal, how did you get treated when you got bit?

Moulin Rouge is a great film musical. Baz should have been nominated! Ewan is great in it. Nicole's ok.

you forgot there is one dangerous animal in Holland. It is called MAN

True true true. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy.

Me too. Sharp edges like glass. I cut myself on broken glass before and had a panic attack trying to get the bleeding to stop, even though it wasn't very painful.

I'm not too bad with heights unless it's up more than a few stories. The further up, the worse it gets.

My fear (I'd guess you call it), if this is what we are taking about..is flying. I DO NOT like getting on planes..and I have to be on one in about 2 days for a trip to Chicago. It usually takes a few drinks to get me mellowed out, but on this trip, we leave at 6 in the morning...so too early to drink :mrgreen:

I think I've read too many John J. Nance novels!

As far as the Crocidille Hunter...CRICKY! That guy is just nuts! "Watch me as I put my arm in his mouth..look at those incredibly beautiful sharp teeth! Notice the bite radius they left on my severed arm..amazing!"

Jamesyboy - who can't thing of anything say...at all...

Can you believe that I've never been on a plane? I've always wondered if I could take it. I really don't have a fear of it, so I think I'd be safe. The only times that I have ever done some serious travelling was in an RV on a cross-country trip when I was 12. Had a blast.

Planes are cool, I've even piloted one before (with an instructor though).

Things I fear, crowds and crossing streets.

Oh God, I can't believe we are disscussing fear. OK.....

I used to have a fear of crickets of all things but since my ex had tanks of bearded dragons and chameleons in my house when he moved in I have since gotten used to it. Now that he has gone I still have a tank of each. I never thought I would like reptiles, but hey.... Love them now.

I am starting to hate flying so I understand. For me it's the two days before, I start getting sick with worry, but as soon as we take off, I am usually fine... ODD..... However a lot of times it's stops me from going places because I don't get to the day of the flight. I cancel it.

Chris.... Panic Attacks I understand very well, but mine don't come from needles, they come from being in a confined space like elevators and subways. If they are moving I am fine but if they stop, or I feel like they are going to stop and I'm going to get stuck....... Trust me, I know the feeling, and you have my sympathy! It's not nice at all! However fear of heights doesn't translate to flying so I think you will be fine.

As for Australia... A lot of my Australian friends loath, not hate, loath Steve Irwin. They think he is an embarrasment. He makes me laugh, but then it's no reflection on me so I understand fully. As for Imports, how about the ones you haven't mentioned like Cate Blanchet, Guy Pierce, Hugh Jackman...... And Moulin Rouge is one of my favorite films from last year. Baz Luhrman is a genius and was robbed at the oscars!

I'm scared of being scared. :)

:)

No seriously I'd have to say I hate being in enclosed spaces and being underwater.

That movie Sphere freaked me out. :)

In Sphere people were in enclosed underwater spaces. :)

Justin -Wondering why he's talking about this.... :(

I lessened my fear of needles when I had a severe allergic reaction to penycillin (forgive the spelling, I hate that word and I don't even care to spell it right) that landed me in the emergency room, I needed IVs, blood drawn, so on and so forth. I still hate them, but the ordeal (2 IVs in my hands for 2 days) forced me to get used to them.

They still curdle my blood though... :oops:

-Chris, Who just had this same coversation with his brother's girlfriend. I can go on rides that go fast and stay low, or go high very slow, but I can't take rides that bring you down fast... I almost puked on one... :?

I'm afraid of heights. I get stressed out it i have to change lightbulbs on a the couple of the high ceiling fixtures that we have in our house. I don't like the combination of holding glass, and possibly falling.

-Jason

Not that you'd care, but it's spelled "penicillin". :oops:

I am allergic to it too.

The first time i was aware of my dislike of knives was when I was watching the music video "Like a prayer". Madonna touches a sharp object (knife) and gets a stigmata like cut. it just sent chills down my spine.

I thought I was going to die on the Statosphere ride. As we shot up, I felt faint.... :? like my heart had stopped right then and there. I don't think i'll do it again. As long as a ride has an angle, it's ok by me.

To lessen my fear, I have to look horizontal, instead of vertical; and i take baby steps up a ladder....

Getting back to Crocodile Hunter and stuff,

I watched an Oprah rerun, where Steve was promoting his movie (made 10 mil this weekend), he brought out his crocs, and kangaroos. THen he introduced his mate, Wes who happened to have a big scar from a croc bite on his butt.

And Bindi!!! She is one of the cutest kids i have ever seen. She was holding a baby snake...and had one of the brightest smiles....

I hate cockroaches and ant bites...