Pirate scores

Morlock

I was wondering, what good scores to pirate movies are there?

I've recently heard a lot of good scores that have something to do with pirates, and was looking for more.

If it helps, I'm looking for stuff like 'Presenting the hook' from Hook, or the Hans Zimmer's theme to 'Muppet treasure island'. 'Muppet Treasure island' has, very surprisingly, great music. It's one of those scores that takes it self very seriously despite the fact that the movie isn't (like Silvestri's 'The Mummy Returns'). The main theme is fantastic, and without the words, many of the songs have really great music to them.

I got Denbey's 'Cutthroat island' score, and I don't know what all the fuss is about. I found nothing new or especialy good. IMO 'Presenting the Hook' alone is worth much more than the entire Denbey score.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got Denbey's 'Cutthroat island' score, and I don't know what all the fuss is about. I found nothing new or especialy good. IMO 'Presenting the Hook' alone is worth much more than the entire Denbey score.

If that's what you really think then i doubt i can be of help to you.

Stefancos- :roll:

Get Jaws :) Williams said the movie is a pirate movie.

Plus Korngold scored a few pirate films, you might want to pick up The Sea Hawk and Captain Blood.

I also recommend Captain Blood or The Sea Hawk by Korngold. If you want an adventure score without pirates, I recommend The Adventures of Robin Hood also by Korngold.

I grew up watching these movies and love how well the music matches the Errol Flynn swashbuckling fun and excitement!

Cutthroat Island is fantastic!!!

Are there cd releases of the Sea Hawk or Captain Blood? Because I've only been able to hear tracks form these scores n a couple of compilations.

Morlock,

William Alwyn wrote one of his best scores for the film The Crimson Pirate which starred Burt Lancaster.

Although I do not yet have the CD, I have heard good things about the suite on The Film Music of William Alwyn: Volume 2, available on the Chandos label (CHAN 9959). The music is more in the vein of Captain Blood (pardon the pun) than Hook, but there ya go.

Chandos have done a few excellent film music releases and I would heartily recommend the Malcolm Arnold and Georges Auric CDs too.

Hoist the mainsail!

Damien

I always loved the score to "The Red Pirate" starring Burt Lancaster (well, I think that's the title... :oops: ) but I don't know it there's a release of the score.

:) - Attack Of The Clones

Are there cd releases of the Sea Hawk or Captain Blood?

Tsunami release the original recordings of both. Sound quality is bad, of course (the scores are from 1935 and 1940, after all), but still very listenable. Varujan Kojian recorded about 45 minutes of Sea Hawk for Varese, and that recording IMHO beats the OST. Both CDs have material the other hasn't though. As for Blood, there's a simply outstanding suite on Marco Polo's Captain Blood compilation (which also contains a lengthy suite from Victor Young's fantastic Scaramouche - I also want a DVD for that!). This hasn't to be ashamed to be compared with the OST either, though both are a bit different in interpretation. And of course, there's a lot more material on the OST, so I strongly recommend getting both.

Kojian also recorded Adventures of Robin Hood - does anyone know if the original recording has been released, too?

Marian - who first "heard" the Blood Theme when seeing it printed in Kathryn Kalinak's book Settling the Score.

more in the vein of Captain Blood (pardon the pun) than Hook

Though it should be noted that the second half of the final battle from Hook sounds like 100% pure Korngold. :)

Marian - who has the Concorde boot without that track. ;)

Oh my God, Korngold is incredible, and his adventure score are what Williams learnt from. Williams orchestrations are pure Korngold, with all the woodwind runs and brass spacings, string flourishes etc etc etc

What do you guys think of Hermman's adventure scores?

I think they were written by Herrmann 8O

Morn - Who thinks that is a reason to get them :mrgreen:

Oh yes, they're good! 8O

Marian - who borrowed Broughton's Jason and the Argonauts recording from the library, but couldn't copy if because it was too scratched.

:mrgreen: Cutthroat Island (John Debney)

There are good pirate film scores mentioned here, but some of the best pirate music I've ever heard is in the Monkey Island PC game series from Lucasarts. And they are the most fun and funny games I've ever played!

HOLY SHIT!!!! HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD?!!!!

Absolutely, Korngold is the greatest pirate composer of all-time. "The Sea Hawk" is the greatest pirate score, strictly speaking, although I like to expand the category by labelling the genre "swashbuckler." Which means we can now include "Robin Hood," which quite possibly trumps "Sea Hawk." Any historical picture Korngold scored SOUNDS like a swashbuckler, even if it isn't. For this reason, "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex" and "The Prince and the Pauper" are well worth acquiring. A fine digital recording of the former was available, once upon a time, on Bay Cities. It went out of print, and then resurfaced on Varese Sarabande. Because they changed the packaging, I wound up buying the damn thing twice! "The Prince and the Pauper" is the best thing about a new Deutsche Grammophon release, with Andre Previn and the London Symphony Orchestra. The other selections ("The Sea Hawk," "Captain Blood," and "Elizabeth and Essex") don't have enough swagger, in my opinion, but "P & P" makes the purchase a must. But do try to hear the Gerhardt/Nat'l Philharmonic recordings from the 1970s (part of the Classic Film Score series), spread out over several albums, on RCA. "Kings Row" has nothing at all to do with pirates, but Korngold sketched the main title music before he knew anything about the project except the name. Therefore there is a pomp and majesty about the piece that sounds every bit as if we are listening to an Errol Flynn swashbuckler.

Speaking of the Classic Film Score series, try to seek out the installment titled "The Classic Film Scores of Errol Flynn." Not only does it contain satisfyingly well-played suites from "Robin Hood" and "The Sea Hawk," it features music from the last of Flynn's wholly worthwhile swashbucklers, "The Adventures of Don Juan" -- by Max Steiner, of all people! (I didn't think he had it in him.)

You might also be interested in "Prince Valiant," by Franz Waxman. FSM was offering a more or less complete score over at their website. "The Mark of Zorro," by Alfred Newman has its advocates, although personally (and surprisingly) I actually prefer the more recent Horner score for "The MASK of Zorro." Newman also wrote one of the classic marches for "Captain from Castille."

Good luck, and happy plundering!

Figo, ALL pirate.

HOLY SHIT!!!!  HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD?!!!!

I was wondering when you were going to reply! :)

"The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex" and "The Prince and the Pauper" are well worth acquiring.  

I've been thinking of acquiring these as I have enjoyed my other Korngold purchases so thank you for the recommendations!

Mari

There are good pirate film scores mentioned here, but some of the best pirate music I've ever heard is in the Monkey Island PC game series from Lucasarts. And they are the most fun and funny games I've ever played!

Right on, John!!!!!!

The monkey Island games are absolutly fantastic and the scores are one of the best in gaming history.

I sugest everyone try to donwnload some samples from the games and hear some trully memorable pirate music in a lighter, more reagee-like mood.

Romão, a big fan of the Monkey island series (my avatar comes from Monkey island 2)

From Franz Waxman I adore Taras Bulba. The main theme is really adventurous but with a cossac feel to it.

From Waxman the Bride of Frankstein is a must have.

Not pirate scores at all, but Taras Bulba is very adventurous as well, I really like it.

:?:

In "Goonies"' there is a "swashbuckling" theme when they escape the ship at the end. I know that is not Dave Grusin, is it Steiner of am I out to lunch.

Does anyone know?

Thanks

Frosty

I sugest everyone try to donwnload some samples from the games and hear some trully memorable pirate music in a lighter, more reagee-like mood.

"There's a monkey in my pocket and it's stealing all my change..."

Marian - who can't remember the rest, except that it ends with "it is deranged".

:?:  

In "Goonies"' there is a "swashbuckling" theme when they escape the ship at the end. I know that is not Dave Grusin, is it Steiner of am I out to lunch.

Does anyone know?

Thanks

Frosty

Absolutely. The theme is by Max Steiner, lifted right out of his score for "The Adventures of Don Juan" -- previously recommended by me ;) (see above). It was also used in the George Hamilton not-sure-what-to-make-of-it comedy "Zorro, the Gay Blade."

Unless I'm very much mistaken -- and it's been years since I've seen it -- the film clip shown on the television set in "Goonies," with the pirate riding his blade down a sail, is not from "Don Juan," but from a much earlier film, one of Douglas Fairbanks' great silents, "The Black Pirate." I highly recommend it, especially if you enjoy the work of Howard Pyle. Some of the scenes, especially when Fairbanks is marooned on an island, look exactly like Pyle's illustrations come to life.

And, Mari -- for the love of God! -- run, DON"T WALK, to the nearest website or CD outlet and buy "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex," IMMEDIATELY. It is quite possibly Korngold's most romantic score. It is completely on the same exalted plateau as "Robin Hood" and "The Sea Hawk." I know you will LOVE it.

Also, if you aren't familiar with Korngold's Violin Concerto, you may want to acquire that at some point, as well. The thematic material is recycled from some of his film scores ("Another Dawn," "Juarez," "Anthony Adverse," and "The Prince and the Pauper"). Likewise, "Elizabeth and Essex" forms the basis for the slow movement of his Symphony in F-sharp. There's also some "Kings Row" (the grandmother's theme) in the finale.

Absolutely. The theme is by Max Steiner, lifted right out of his score for "The Adventures of Don Juan" -- previously recommended by me ;) (see above). It was also used in the George Hamilton not-sure-what-to-make-of-it comedy "Zorro, the Gay Blade."

Unless I'm very much mistaken -- and it's been years since I've seen it -- the film clip shown on the television set in "Goonies," with the pirate riding his blade down a sail, is not from "Don Juan," but from a much earlier film, one of Douglas Fairbanks' great silents, "The Black Pirate." I highly recommend it, especially if you enjoy the work of Howard Pyle. Some of the scenes, especially when Fairbanks is marooned on an island, look exactly like Pyle's illustrations come to life.

Thanks

Frosty

"There's a monkey in my pocket and it's stealing all my change..."

Marian - who can't remember the rest, except that it ends with "it is deranged".

There's a monkey on my pocket

and it's stealing all my change

His stare is blank and glassy

I suspect it is deranged.

or

For those cold dark ship-board nights

We've got boxers, briefs and tights

Made from cotton, silk or cetin

In styles Anglo, Dutch and Latin

When you sail don't take a chance

Wearing nothing 'neath your pants

Trust, Silver Long Jonh's

They Breathe!!!!!!!

Grim fandango is another fantastic game score (from one of the co-composers of Curse of Monkey island)

From Curse of Monkey island, I do suggest LeChuck's Hold.

Here's a little secret for those of you with the original Monkey Island game on CD, or the "Madness" CD that has 1, 2, and the CMI demo: put it into a regular old CD player, skip over track 1, and tracks 2-whatever (14 or 15 I think) are ALL the cues from Monkey Island 1! Right there on CD!

If that's what you really think then i doubt i can be of help to you.

:

well I agree with him on Cuththroat Island.It's bombast of the wrong kind.

It's bombast of the type where you say.. lets just be as loud as possible and we'll be really exciting! :roll:

It's bombast of the type where you say.. lets just be as loud as possible and we'll be really exciting! :roll:

Well,not when ALL instruments of a 100 piece orchestra seem to be playing all at once toghether.

K.m.