Question about the DVD commentaries and John Williams

filmmusic

All I can help you with is "JFK." The first person Oliver Stone mentions is Williams. And he talks about him a lot more through the film.

I recall Richard Donner talking a good deal about Williams in the "Superman" commentary.

Those are the only two I recall Williams being referred to prominently. I'm sad that Lucas doesn't recognize the major force in "Star Wars" on the commentaries.

I love Richard Donner's commentaries, especially the Superman one! In addition to what Jeff has already mentioned, another two that I remember are:

Alan Parker's note of Williams contribution is about 10 mins into Angela's Ashes

Dean Devlin praises Williams about half way through The Patriot

I was always annoyed that Norman Jewison didn't mention Williams once throughout his sprawling commentary on Fiddler on the Roof. :)

I know I have said it before, but my favourite commentary is Randy Newman's for Pleasantville - very entertaining and insightful, he also mentions Williams and Goldsmith's work at Fox affectionately.

• 7 years later...

hehe, i was going to write a new topic about this, and I discovered that i had opened the same topic 8 years ago!!

any news on this? has anyone listened to any film commentary that talks about Williams?

I'm just watching Born on the 4th of July, but I won't have time to check the commentary too..

Hasn't time flown?!

Williams is mentioned by Stone during the first half of Born on the Fourth of July. Rightly so too, those opening credits are just wonderful

hehe, i was going to write a new topic about this, and I discovered that i had opened the same topic 8 years ago!!

any news on this? has anyone listened to any film commentary that talks about Williams?

I'm just watching Born on the 4th of July, but I won't have time to check the commentary too..

Waitaminute. Hold on. I don't mean to sound contrary here. I really don't. But are you saying you've had eight years to look at these commentaries yourself . . . and you're still asking people to do your homework for you?

I understand that sort of thing takes some time, and carving space in your schedule for it can be tough. (Which is why I watch so few commentaries.) But if you really wanted this information . . . I mean, eight years, man. . . .

- Uni

I didn't ask from people to do my homework, i just asked if anyone has listened to them.

I'm really not into commentaries, and would find it hard to listen to a 2.5 hours commentary, just to see if Williams' name was mentioned once..

but many people may be into this thing, so i was addressed to those..

I don't think it's bad to ask..