Jeff Nathanson's Indy 4 Script Approved

Henry B

From Coming Soon!,

... Nathanson's draft for Indiana Jones 4 has apparently met with the approval of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg. But before Paramount can move forward, Harrison Ford still has to sign off on the script, and he hasn't yet read it.

The trade adds that with "Star Wars" off his plate, Lucas recently summoned Nathanson to his Bay Area headquarters, where they went over the draft. The screenwriter also got notes from Spielberg, who brought him into the mix after working with him on Catch Me if You Can and Terminal.

Scheduling Indiana Jones 4 for a 2006 start will be tricky for Spielberg, who next heads to Europe to shoot his untitled drama about the aftermath of the 1972 Munich Olympics for Universal and DreamWorks, and is expected to follow in January with a DreamWorks film about Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War, to star Liam Neeson.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda strange that this guy is suddenly a good screenwriter. Before these recent collaborations, he had "Speed 2: Cruise Control" and "Rush Hour 2" under his belt. Now he's Spielberg's bitch.

Tim

I'd love to know why Steven Spielberg liked Frank Darabont's screenplay, but George Lucas didn't. I was really looking forward to Darabont writing Indy 4.

From Coming Soon!,

Scheduling Indiana Jones 4 for a 2006 start will be tricky for Spielberg, who next heads to Europe to shoot his untitled drama about the aftermath of the 1972 Munich Olympics for Universal and DreamWorks, and is expected to follow in January with a DreamWorks film about Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War, to star Liam Neeson.

So Spielberg just finished WOTW - next is heading to Europe to do "Vengeance" and in January the Abe Lincoln film... Where does Memoirs of a Geisha fit in? :roll:

Greta

Williams might even been writing stuff for Geisha now, since he's done with WotW. Mashall could have shown him a rough cut, or talking about style and whatnot. I think the film is a November release, so he'll probably go into the studio in August...

Tim

Oh yeah, duh on me... bowdown November leaves a decent amount of time for JW to come up with some great stuff for it. *fingers crossed* MOG may, hopefully, be Oscar bait.

Greta

I actually would prefer Patrick Doyle do the Memoirs, and Williams back for HP.

Btw, I liked the Rush Hour 2 script.

Even though Geisha is his best chance for a (last?) Oscar, I'd rather have GoF.....but that's just if I had the choice. I'm fine with the situation as it is now, looking forward to Williams' score for Geisha and Doyle's for GoF.

Ray Barnsbury

Perhaps we are selling Vengence short, it could be potentially a powerful score than the pretentious crapfest Memoirs.

... Nathanson's draft for Indiana Jones 4 has apparently met with the approval of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg.

[darthvader]Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/darthvader]

Neil

[darthvader]Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/darthvader]

Nice use of "Qui-Gon's Funeral" during that scene though. (Yes, I am looking forward to Indy 4's score.)

Am i the only one who doesn't want this movie to be made?

No. The only good that can come from this is the score.

Indeed. As far as I'm concerned, the Indiana Jones series ended in 1989.

Indiana Jones 4? Bring it on. What harm can possibly come of this? I teach strings and piano to children aged 5 to 18 and you'd be amazed, hardly any of them have even heard of Indiana Jones, let alone know the theme tune! This film will get kids into the originals, if nothing else. Let's face it, it's not going to be a BAD movie. At the very least it'll not quite be up to the standard of the first 3, but I have my suspicions that it'll prove to be right up there. Let's face it, enough time has passed that this one will be subtantially different from the '80s ones. It's not going to tread on any toes.

Perhaps this film shouldn't be made, but we'll have a new score. And well it's still Spielberg you know, it's not Lucas.

But what is the title? And will Spielberg set aside one of his dramas to get this done sooner? These and other burning questions, I need to know!

I am pleased with Nathanson's movies thus far. Even Rush Hour 2.

Am i the only one who doesn't want this movie to be made?

No. The only good that can come from this is the score.

Indeed. As far as I'm concerned, the Indiana Jones series ended in 1989.

and I wish it had ended in 1984.

Does no one remember Never Say Never Again? And more time has elapsed for Ford (since the last installment) than did for Connery, as Bond.

I think Calista Flockhart should play Longinus' spear.

So far, Nathanson's scripts have been better than most recent Spielberg scripts. Catch Me and Terminal were effortless films, while Minority Report seemed a little anti climactic, and AI heavy.

Does no one remember Never Say Never Again?  And more time has elapsed for Ford (since the last installment) than did for Connery, as Bond.

I think Calista Flockhart should play Longinus' spear.

bad choice Figo, afterall Never Say Never Again was a crapfest.

Joe, fearing the worst as an 800 year old Harrison Ford will battle and Emperor-esqe villian, using the lastest CGI technology, doing somersaults, and aerial acrobatics while using his whip, all the while cracking bad onliners in hope that one will become a classic tagline.

bad choice Figo, afterall Never Say Never Again was a crapfest.

Uh, I think that was precisely my point. Perhaps I should get out in the world more. It seems I've forgotten how to communicate.

Indiana Jones 4? Bring it on. What harm can possibly come of this? I teach strings and piano to children aged 5 to 18 and you'd be amazed, hardly any of them have even heard of Indiana Jones, let alone know the theme tune! This film will get kids into the originals, if nothing else. Let's face it, it's not going to be a BAD movie. At the very least it'll not quite be up to the standard of the first 3, but I have my suspicions that it'll prove to be right up there. Let's face it, enough time has passed that this one will be subtantially different from the '80s ones. It's not going to tread on any toes.

If the goal is to introduce young'uns to the Indy scores, then the best way is a complete release of all 3 originals. :shakehead:

Joe, fearing the worst as an 800 year old Harrison Ford will battle and Emperor-esqe villian, using the lastest CGI technology, doing somersaults, and aerial acrobatics while using his whip, all the while cracking bad onliners in hope that one will become a classic tagline.

You actually expect him to use his whip, even though he never used the thing in Last Crusade to fight with?

Neil

Just so it's clear in my mind... Did John Williams choose not to score GoF, or someone else?

If the goal is to introduce young'uns to the Indy scores, then the best way is a complete release of all 3 originals. :shakehead:

Indeed.

You actually expect him to use his whip, even though he never used the thing in Last Crusade to fight with?

Neil

its a light whip this time Neil, and it will have a nice new diamond point on the end, it will be sorta like the energy whips the ferengi used in their first appearance on Star Trek the Next Generation.

Indy 4-ever

Just so it's clear in my mind... Did John Williams choose not to score GoF, or someone else?

We don't really know, but it's assumed that he chose to score Geisha instead.

Ray Barnsbury

If the goal is to introduce young'uns to the Indy scores, then the best way is a complete release of all 3 originals. :|

Indeed.

If so could it be possible that Lucas will get to change things as he did with SW? Maybe adding in some extra nazis, putting new heads on actors and so.

"Coming soon: the Raiders of the Lost Ark special edition. Where the guns have been replaced by walkie-talkies, and the word 'Nazi' by 'person with political differences'!"

Neil

In Indiana Jones and the Spear of Longinus, Ford will snap baddies using the band of loose flesh beneath his chin.

"Coming soon: the Raiders of the Lost Ark special edition. Where the guns have been replaced by walkie-talkies, and the word 'Nazi' by 'person with political differences'!"
LOL

"You and I are just passing through history. This...this is improved history!"

Dole- who loves that South Park episode

I didn't really mind Spielberg taking the guns away, but of all things to replace them with, why walkie-talkies? If a change was absolutely necessary, why not just have the cops holding clubs ready to whack E.T.?

I didn't really mind Spielberg taking the guns away, but of all things to replace them with, why walkie-talkies? If a change was absolutely necessary, why not just have the cops holding clubs ready to whack E.T.?

the beauty of the changes Steven made is this, he still released the original, and I don't ever have to watch the changed, but definately not improved version ever again.

I think the only way to get it here is to buy the 3-disc edition. I don't recall it being released seperately.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a copy of the 3-discer in stores for a long time.

LucasArts has announced a 2007 Indy game for next-gen consoles. Apparently, it will tie in with the film, even containing video clips from it. I guess this means we can forget about an original soundtrack by Clint Bajakian. On the other hand, there is the possibility, as with the Star Wars games, of getting unreleased music from Williams's soundtrack through this.

And Harrison Ford recently revealed that the title of the next film is INDIANA JONES and the OPAL OF THE MER-MAN PRINCE. LOL