Star Wars DVD Box Sets Galore This Nov.

According to sources for ComingSoon.Net, we'll be seeing 6 different Star Wars DVD releases on November 1st of this year. It looks like you can buy the final movie separately, buy the prequels together or buy all six films in a complete set. Whether or not this is the "definitive release" of the complete saga is unknown, but we can sure hope for a pile of new extras. Here's the list we were given:

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Widescreen) 11/1

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Full Screen) 11/1

Star Wars Episodes I-III (Widescreen) 11/1

Star Wars Episodes I-III (Full Screen) 11/1

Star Wars Episodes I-VI (Widescreen) 11/1

Star Wars Episodes I-VI (Full Screen) 11/1

http://www.theforce.net/episode3/story/6_S..._Fall_93105.asp

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I'm betting nothing new.

It would however be nifty if (like LOTR) we could get the box (for either prequels or saga) via mail for cheap/free. However, I doubt we'll be so lucky.

It'd be great if they'd properly remix ep IV, but don't count on it.

- Marc, wondering why anyone in their right mind would be a SW fullscreen set.

Marc, wondering why anyone in their right mind would be a SW fullscreen set.

Oh that's easy, that way you only have to watch half of ROTJ and the prequels.

Neil

Come off it, Neil.

One thing the prequels have going for it is a great visual look. It's completely ruined in the fullscreen versions.

For those of us who have bought TPM, AOTC, ANH, ESB, and ROTJ, will there be an option (as there was with Jurassic Park) to obtain the collectable slip case when we buy ROTS?

I'm wondering if there are people who are going to buy all of them :)

I am. That's why I didn't buy the set last year, as I wanted them all together. I really have no preference for either version of the movies.

I just want the ROTS DVD. I have the other films already and would only buy a new boxed set if the ORIGINAL versions of the OT were released.

Mr. K

I'm wondering if there are people who are going to buy all of them :thumbup:

I am. That's why I didn't buy the set last year, as I wanted them all together. I really have no preference for either version of the movies.

Same here. But i want the latest versions.

Luke, who doesnt know if to buy this pack or the one in SW 30th anniversary...

Same doubt here. I'll buy the 30th Anniversary Edition only if it has louder music in the sound mix. It seemed a little low in the new releases, as they aired on TV.

I hated the Palpatine in ESB. How could have they put him the voice of Palpatine, the Senator and Chancellor!!?!??!

Luke, who will not see the SW in Spanish when he has the DVDs

I hated the Palpatine in ESB. How could have they put him the voice of Palpatine, the Senator and Chancellor!!?!??!

Luke, who will not see the SW in Spanish when he has the DVDs

two actors played the Palpatine....Clive Revill who played Palpatine in ESB and Ian McDiarmid in ROTJ, TPM, AOTC and ROTS :thumbup:

im going to bed...

But isn't the new Palpatine also voiced by Ian McDiarmid, only not with the raspy RotJ voice?

DONT f*** me

:thumbup:

But i think i heard the ESB one in english and it looked like the emperor, not palpatine...

And damo i was spealing of the DVD version. Clive is gone, replaced by Mc Diarmid. I was just saying that here in spain they put the palpatine voice intead of the emperor one.

Heck they could have at least used the Sidious one (yes, Sidious and palpatine are dubbed by different actors... a thing that if i remember well was screwed in ROTS (he speaks as sidious with Grievous and like the emperor with Nute gunray...) )

Heck they could have at least used the Sidious one (yes, Sidious and palpatine are dubbed by different actors... a thing that if i remember well was screwed in ROTS (he speaks as sidious with Grievous and like the emperor with Nute gunray...) )

Now you're confusing me. Is this about the English or the Spanish version?

Ah, the confusion. Evil thing, dubbing.

Although it's more evil having to read subtitles.

"Watching a movie dubbed, you lose 20% of the original film. Watching a movie with subtitles, you lose 80% of the original film." -Alfred Hitchock.

-Ross, glad he doesn't need to read subtitles in order to understand english-speaking films.

Subtitles can often be a distraction and reveal things too quickly that would otherwise be revealed in dialogue as you hear it. But at least the integrity of the performance is preserved with subtitles. Most dubs are crap.

- Marc, who usually turns off the subtitles when watching a movie on DVD.

Not so much. If you're watching widescreen on a 4x3, they usually stay in the black area. Not so sure about a 16x9, but there's still black space, so I don't think they cover up very much there. And if you're watching pan & scan, then you're a fool whom I will point and laugh at.

Subtitles can often be a distraction and reveal things too quickly that would otherwise be revealed in dialogue as you hear it. But at least the integrity of the performance is preserved with subtitles. Most dubs are crap.

- Marc, who usually turns off the subtitles when watching a movie on DVD.

Dubs are indeed crap, and I wish to God they were never invented. But they only affect the film's performances, and the writing (since they are being translated) - the direction, pacing, etc, remains intact.

Subtitles make you miss visual information, or even worse, take up the time you are given by an editor to assimilate a shot.

It just depends on where your priorities are.

Subtitles only make you miss a little bit visual information, it's not that you only watch the subtitles, but dubbing deletes the entire audio performance. It's hideous. It doesn't match the visual information and is often out of tone with the rest of the audio information. Luckily we don't have that problem here.

The SW dvds place the subtitles below the Panavision frame on a 4:3 TV, but completely within the Panavision frame on a widescreen TV. I prefer seeing it completely within the frame on 16:9 than one line in it and one line below. On a 4:3 TV I prefer the subtitles directly below the Panavision frame, rather than at the bottom of the TV screen. If it's placed at the bottom, I find your eyes will wander down too far from the actual film.

In cinemas, there is not panavision frames, therefore, subtitles ocuppy the film, that what i meant...

And dubbing can sometimes improve performances... You said Windu was awful in ROTS, and in Spanish he doesnt seems to be that awful...

And damo i was spealing of the DVD version. Clive is gone, replaced by Mc Diarmid. I was just saying that here in spain they put the palpatine voice intead of the emperor one.

watever...I havent seen the DVD version yet...and i know that Clive is gone, replaced by Mc Diarmid as i was trying to say in my previous post.

Subtitles are smaller in the frame in theatres than on DVD. You really don't loose that much. Besides, you get used to it after a minute. The original language is always the way to go (even when it's not English). Preferably without subtitles, yes, but sometimes subtitles are the only way to understand it and keep the performance. Dubs, especially the rare Dutch dubs, are atrocious (although the dubs for animated films are usually fairly good, but the lip sync is obviously far superiour when watching the original version).

Can I just suggest sometime you watch a foreign film with both subtitles and dubbing in your language at the same time? Just to compare.

I saw the first few scenes of Hero (good movie BTW) like that, and the differences were rather striking, because the dubbed versions had to be length-matched to the original cuts.

lip sync is obviously far superiour when watching the original version).

That remembers me of the Emperor in ROTS:

English: "Riiiise"

Spanish: "Levantate"

The guy must be ventrilocous since he spoke 3 syllabes with his mouth shut :)

In ROTJ anyway lyp sync was great :( (i fact i prefer that voice over to McDiarmids..., but since it is not consitstent with the other 4 movies...)

Steef is right. I spent a lot of Saturday mornings watching cartoons in English, subtitled in Dutch. I have no doubts I picked up some extra reading skills there. And a good basic feel for the English language.