'War' score clips online!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first clip sounds promising - foreboding, aggressive, powerful. Nice brass.

The second there was not enough of to really consider.

The third was quite cool, but sounded a lot like Star Wars....

The first was not bad, but nothing really great.

The second was beautiful.

The third was standard modern Williams action music. I hope the whole score is not like this.

~Sturgis

Hmm,I don't know what to make of it.I remember a time where I'd hear a few seconds of new Williams music in a TV spot for a film and I'd go holy shit,this is going to be so awsome.These clip sort of leave me indiferent,but it doesn't sound so much like MR.Maybe the sad parts will be Lament like and the dramatic parts CEO3K style.

K.M.

Third one sounds cool, but gets repetitive after a while. Of course, this clip is out of context, so I'll just wait and see.

It also reminded me of Titanic, but that has probably more to do with the title than the music. I was just picturing some of Cameron's visuals with a Williams score. Sweet. :)

OH YES ! OH YES ! OH YES ! OH YES ! OH YES ! OH YES ! OH YES ! OH YES ! OH YES ! OH YES ! OH YES ! OH YES ! OH YES ! YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES YES YESYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

And................................................. I'm spent....

GOD I NEED MORE!

I like the first clip. Second is too short to make something out of it. Third one is action wallpaper and is interchangeable with most action movies. I'm still hoping for a happy, goofy track on the CD.

----------------

Alex cremers

All are great. :)

Thanks for the links, Steven. I liked the Grievous theme rythm in the 3rd clip. 1st one reminded me of Jurassic Park. And the 2nd one is very promising!

Awesome.

The first clip is incredible and so were the other two, very promising.

glad to see Sturgis posting again.

First 2 clips have the most promise for me, I want to know what that sound was in the last 2 seconds of the first clip

Yup, Freeman is babbling over the opening track. :(

He's not in the closing track clip, but we can probably expect him in there too.

The review says he is. Crap. Yeah, I know, don't get all negative until you've heard it. But the idea of narration, no matter who it is and how good it is, over Williams music is not something I like.

Overall that review sounds very encouraging. I still haven't listened to any of the clips, I promised myself I'd wait until the CD came out to hear any of it and I'm sticking to it. I hope.

John- testing his resovle

I saw that just now. As noted in the text (you won't hear it in the sample) he's in the penultimate (sp) track too, telling the listener pretty much how the story ends. What the hell? :?

From what I heard in the first sample, as Freeman reads the opening, Williams' music swells along with it. If this is something done for the album, then it's nice to hear, but it's not something I like at all. I don't want talking on my albums, even if it was intended. I want to hear the music. Maybe it won't be as bad once you hear the final album, but the mere idea of a narrated soundtrack is just something I'm strongly against.

First 2 clips have the most promise for me, I want to know what that sound was in the last 2 seconds of the first clip

It sounds like an electronic choir maybe backed by horns. First cue is ok. Second to short to tell. Third usual action stuff but slightly darker.

Sounds ok but I hope there will be some THEMES in the score. If the rest of the cues is thematic we still could have a new Jurassic Park.

By the way, do you think this score will leak soon? OR not at all?

Very unlikely. Scores leaking early is a Star Wars thing. But we might get an AOL Listening Party, something I didn't think we'd get with Episode III. :(

I can't listen to the clips,#$%@!,but I noticed in the review that Morgan freeman is on The Reunion track,not Epilogue,and he's talking over some"pulsing" ominous music.Hopefully that can be edited out without damaging the track too much.

K.M.

I remember a time where I'd hear a few seconds of new Williams music in a TV spot for a film and I'd go holy shit,this is going to be so awsome.

Reminds me of a song...the thrill is gone baby.

For me, the thrill is still there.

sadly its only 61 minutes and 1 second long.

I'm going to give my opinion on this score.... In a sentence or two............ And I know it's wrong to judge it already, so.. sorry.

I ... don't like what I hear. I'm horrible, I know... But I REALLY wanted this to be a COOL score... not background, moody music with some crazy action music. I am sure this will all be great with the movie, but... idk. I don't hear much as far as themes go. I really hope there's some good stuff on the full album though, and I am sure there will be. :( (and, of course, I can't say too much bad stuff about these dinky little clips because it IS going to be amazing music most could only hope of composing, me included.)

I've got to say that I'm pretty disappointed so far. Of course, I have to hear the whole thing... but I'm not "feeling" these clips.

i can only hear the clips at www.spielbergfilms.com but not the other site

I finally got it working - and being the nice person that I am, I made MP3 samples for y'all :)

LINK DELETED

I gotta say - this is ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT! YES YESYES !!! x Million!! This is perfect -- exactly what I had hoped for-- I love dissonance - I love expressive use of different instrumental techniques so this is just perfect!! The action sounds amazing and the Father/Daughter theme sounds beautiful!

YAY! :(

Thanks,can you add the 3 other ones?

I gotta say.I'm up to the third one,this is powerfull stuff,and not another Minority Report.Huge difference.Very impressed so far!

K.M.

Am I the only one here who hears either Minority Report or Rots in almost every cue? Everybody Runs seems to be influencing a lot of this, and Anakin's Betrayal came to mind as well. However, it is good to have a lot of references to CE3K :(

Other than that, sounds promising (The Reunion sounds really good) but I'm not going to fully judge or (or buy it for that matter) until I hear the whole thing...

The Ferry (2nd track) sounds like the rythm of 'Everybody Runs'

Sorry Joe :(

Er?

The first clip is incredible and so were the other two, very promising.

glad to see Sturgis posting again.

I got ya!

Luke, who thinks the snippets sound good :)

As far as 30-seconds-clips can tell, it mixes the good (lyrical) with the inevitable (stale action music). 'The Interrogation' and 'Car Attack' sound surprisingly Goldsmithian and a lot of the frenzied timpani parts reminded me of 'Timeline'...of all things!

I think it's good. But the nature of the music will hold a lot of listeners at a safe distance. Everyone says how great 'CEo3K' is, but probably only the Straussian finale. So it's another score people will like (on CD, mind you) for 3 or 4 pathos tracks.

I think it's good. But the nature of the music will hold a lot of listeners at a safe distance. Everyone says how great 'CEo3K' is, but probably only the Straussian finale. So it's another score people will like (on CD, mind you) for 3 or 4 pathos tracks.

Not me. I'm going to dive into this score. RoTS taught me how to listen to the new JW of AoTC, MR and POA, and I can't wait for te dissonance, for the modern JW action. The lyrical moments sound kind of forced to me.

Listening to the soundtrack.net clips, I've come to two initial conclusions. Judging solely by the clips, which one should not do, I think the score sounds very good. However, I think it is unfortunate that every cue sounds like a different Williams score, with the Epilogue (which sounds fantastic to me) having shades of Herrmann (as Dan pointed out in his description). This was bound to happen, but all these cues sound like either AoTC, MR, POA, or RoTS, except for the ones that sounds like CE3k or Nixon. But on the other hand, one must also keep in mind that 30 second clips of a score you've never heard before for a movie you've never seen by your favorite composer would most likely sound like something else of his, the piece must be heard as whole. I love Probing The Basement, The Return to Boston, and I think the Epilogue is going to be as a whole the best track on the album.

That polyphonal brass recording on the 'Epilogue' is neat, isn't it?

But i disagree regarding the action music. There SEEMS to be some development here, but the hiccup action music like 'Zam' or 'Andertons Great Escape' is as uninspired as anything the late career Goldsmith wrote. It's just not as much fun to listen to. Sure, it has more layers and stuff, but it's always the same disorganized sound with these nervous 'hiccups' getting on my nerves at every inopportune moment. It really was displaced as hell in the 'Quidditch Match' cue. Biggest problem: Williams not even tries to establish any melody from his actual score in these cues, it's like he just switches to 'action mode'.

But like a lot of so-called 'action scoring', it's triteness can attributed to rapid-fire avid-cutting, egomanical foley artists and sound experts.

I finally got it working - and being the nice person that I am, I made MP3 samples for y'all :)

LINK DELETED

I gotta say - this is ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT! YES YESYES !!! x Million!! This is perfect -- exactly what I had hoped for-- I love dissonance - I love expressive use of different instrumental techniques so this is just perfect!! The action sounds amazing and the Father/Daughter theme sounds beautiful!

YAY! :(

very nice....i like it :(

But i disagree regarding the action music. There SEEMS to be some development here, but the hiccup action music like 'Zam' or 'Andertons Great Escape' is as uninspired as anything the late career Goldsmith wrote. It's just not as much fun to listen to. Sure, it has more layers and stuff, but  it's always the same disorganized sound with these nervous 'hiccups' getting on my nerves at every inopportune moment. It really was displaced as hell in the 'Quidditch Match' cue. Biggest problem: Williams not even tries to establish any melody from his actual score in these cues, it's like he just switches to 'action mode'.

That's nonsense babble, sorry. How could you say things like that based on 30-seconds preview clips?!? And labelling Williams' busy orchestral writing as "disorganized sounds" isn't correct. Just realize that he's one of the very few film composers who can actually COMPOSE for real. Maybe you have to accept that you simply don't like that kind of music writing and prefer something that has traditional melodic and harmonic writing at its core. And there's nothing wrong about it! :) But just let's not criticize pointlessly something that's simply NOT true... Williams' writing is some of the most clever, crafted, organized and crystalline you can find today.

But like a lot of so-called 'action scoring', it's triteness can attributed to rapid-fire avid-cutting, egomanical foley artists and sound experts.

Well, you have to know that Spielberg still edits his movies on the Moviola. :music: And, apart from that, I think that's a strange comment... I always thought the exact opposite: the rapid-fire Avid editing style of nowadays action movies has produced some of the most streamlined, poor and unadventurous writing (just listen to every single score for the Jerry Bruckheimer movies composed by the Usual Suspects Gang... bah!) that you can listen.

Williams new style action music is something I hate. But I listen to it because it has complexity. It's not like he closes his eyes and jots down notes without looking. Everything is complex and I am sure fits the movie well.