Star Wars Prequel Music Resource

Henry B

Hi there! :rolleyes:

I saw the complete cue-list from the SW3-ROTS-Score in the frontpage of this topic. is this the latest list of cues? because I would like to start cut a complete score :)

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there! :D

I saw the complete cue-list from the SW3-ROTS-Score in the frontpage of this topic. is this the latest list of cues? because I would like to start cut a complete score :)

Well the "how to" list is not up to date because it doesn't include new material from The Force Unleashed. Henry will update it when he gets the chance but he's busy these days with college like a lot of people are.

Regarding the cue list titles those are 100% accurate since they were posted on Hyperspace. However 2M1 is "Grievous and The Droids".

Well the "how to" list is not up to date because it doesn't include new material from The Force Unleashed. Henry will update it when he gets the chance but he's busy these days with college like a lot of people are.

College is for squares. He should be spending all his time trying to appease all of us that don't want to take the time ourselves in figuring out all this stuff ;-)

Might be a dumb question, but where do you guys get all of these pieces of music in the first place? There's not a single link to anything in the thread, I'm guessing for legal reasons...?

Long ago there was an FTP with most of this stuff, but the FTP went down. Now lordskylark uses SoulSeek, which you have to pay for to download.

Long ago there was an FTP with most of this stuff, but the FTP went down. Now lordskylark uses SoulSeek, which you have to pay for to download.

no that one is free.. well at least it was when I used it. but it has been months

College is for squares. He should be spending all his time trying to appease all of us that don't want to take the time ourselves in figuring out all this stuff ;-)

;)

rpvee we don't post links openly in this thread because it's against the rules. The material is ripped generally from the PS2 versions of the games or recorded during game play with the sfx and voices turned off.

no that one is free.. well at least it was when I used it. but it has been months

Ah, yes, you're right. Now, how do I find lordskylark?

OK, so how exactly do I find the music? I watch the films so much, that I know a lot of the pieces, and when I listen to the mixed-up versions on the soundtrack, I always wish I had the whole thing.

Also, I found a really, REALLY wierd mp3 on the web that says it's called "I Am the Senate", from ROTS. Now, I'd assume that this is from the confrontation between Sidious and Mace Windu. BUT, I don't recognize the music AT ALL. There's a wierd theme in it that doesn't sound familiar, and it's very happy - obviously not fitting for the scene, and nothing like anything I've ever heard in SW. What has me confused, though, is that there are actually variations of some of the SW themes in it - a bit of Duel of the Fates, variations of the Imperial March and Across the Stars... does this description sound like the real "I Am the Senate"?

The real "I Am the Senate" contains a few brief Force theme statements, but that's about it, thematically, unless there's more to the cue than what I'm familiar with. It's a very tense cue, mostly, using high notes in the violins above an aggressive trombone melody that's unique that cue.

I was watching the film on Saturday, and that cue struck me as "very awesome". I love the statement of the Force Theme that plays right before Mace Windu raises his lightsaber to kill Palpatine... and fails miserably.

It really is a great cue. Should have been on the OST. Come on...the guttural choral stuff in the opera house is cool and all, but honestly, how could they give us that instead of an exciting and different cue that accompanies a pivotal scene in the film?

Yup...I've said it before, and I'll say it again - if the guy were half as modest about his album production skills as he is about his music, the world would be a better place.

[edited because I totally screwed it up the first time!]

That's what I meant - but I worded it totally wrong. ;) I'll switch it now. Indeed, he's VERY modest about his music, but he isn't afraid to make weird choices on his albums.

I'm usually mostly okay with the way he prioritizes the choices, but there's almost always at least a few notable exceptions. And, of course, I'd rather just buy a complete, cue-by-cue release from the get-go.

Then what in heck did I download? All it contains are strange variations of Star Wars themes... I'm so confused now.

It really is a great cue. Should have been on the OST. Come on...the guttural choral stuff in the opera house is cool and all, but honestly, how could they give us that instead of an exciting and different cue that accompanies a pivotal scene in the film?

I agree. Honestly, who the hell wants to listen to Padme's Ruminations???

I liked it, but there was a bit of space on each to squeeze in some other themes. For instance, Williams could have squeezed Droid Fight into TPM. Or, for that matter, he could have squeezed in some other Battle for Naboo cues, even hacked back a bit, they would have helped.

I agree. Honestly, who the hell wants to listen to Padme's Ruminations???

I do. It's an unusual display of thoughtfulness that is rarely on display in the prequels, both film and score. It's also the most well-conceived scene in the film.

I used to not like that cue, but I am beginning to "warm up" to it. And I do like the latter half of the Track, though I prefer the "firmer", if you would, performance that is the film version.

The scene works great in the movie, and while the score doesn't sound very much like a Star Wars score, I suppose it works. It's just that there were much more interesting passages, IMO, that could have been on the OST instead.

So you're all agreeing with this. I am too.

Yup...I've said it before, and I'll say it again - if the guy were half as modest about his album production skills as he is about his music, the world would be a better place.

I've noticed there were six minutes spare on the TPM album, four spare minutes on AotC, and ten spare minutes on RotS. Enough room, I think in two cases, for at least cut-down versions of cues which mattered to the film.

I've found that Adobe Soundbooth can reverse pitch adjustments and time shifts in the music with very minimal distortion, compared to Audacity. I pretty much fixed "Theed Palace Arrival", using only the VG audio for the actual missing bits. I'm not sure, but I think there is a slight time adjustment on the opening measures of "Tentacles", and I'm still searching.

"Revisiting Padmé" and "I Am The Senate" were initially supposed to be on the ROTS album but were dropped at the last minute. They had enough room to include both and it irritates me that they didn't. Ya "I Am The Senate" may have been cut down but at least we could have heard a good chunk of it.

Surprise of surprises... But I noticed a trend, that Williams tries to avoid including repeating themes in his albums, hence why he cut out the Darth Sidious segments from "Finale" in AotC's album and "Palpatine's Seduction" in the RotS album. Likewise, he could have put "Droid Fight" or a more complete "Droid Invasion" cue in the TPM album. Or, some more Battle of Naboo music. I mean, come on, not even half of the length of BoN is on the album.

But then he goes and includes passages that are repeated EXACTLY, too - for example, the last part of "General Grievous," the last part of "The Knight Bus," the POA end credits suite, multiple cues in the Jurassic Park OST, "Hymn to the Fallen"...stuff like that. It's a really frustrating way of doing things.

But then he goes and includes passages that are repeated EXACTLY, too - for example, the last part of "General Grievous,"

Yeah, I did find that quite strange.

And neither time Williams gave us the complete cue - Track 1 fades into the exit chord from The Arrival, and Track 13 goes straight into "Queen Amidala".

But then he goes and includes passages that are repeated EXACTLY, too - for example, the last part of "General Grievous,"

Yeah, I did find that quite strange.

For what it's worth, though, I though that that particular edit did work excellently.

I think it gives a certain amount of closure to the track, making it seem less like a compilation of three different cues without the correct material between them. But to be honest, I find "Rolling with Grievous" to be kind of annoying - it's probably my least favorite ROTS action cue. And because of that, I'm not inclined to appreciate the edit. I'd rather hear the full ending to "Fighting with Grievous."

That may be. What's his excuse for ROTS, though? I love that statement as they fly into the medical center on Coruscant...I literally left the theater humming the Emperor's theme. :lol:

His excuse could be time restraints - he has a set time to make his choices and compile them, eh may not have had time to compile tracks he wanted in the RotS album. Still, the same went for AotC and the Target bonus track "On the Conveyor Belt" came out later...

Does anybody know how much of the Duel of the Fates choir was re-recorded for the Duel of Darth Sidious and Yoda sequence?

His excuse could be time restraints - he has a set time to make his choices and compile them, eh may not have had time to compile tracks he wanted in the RotS album. Still, the same went for AotC and the Target bonus track "On the Conveyor Belt" came out later...

Does anybody know how much of the Duel of the Fates choir was re-recorded for the Duel of Darth Sidious and Yoda sequence?

eveything supposedly.

So Williams could have re-released Duel of the Fates with the new choir. I personally prefer the RotS version to the TPM now. The words are pronounced slightly better IMO.

So Williams could have re-released Duel of the Fates with the new choir. I personally prefer the RotS version to the TPM now. The words are pronounced slightly better IMO.

The point is the orchestral part is tracked from TPM.

And i mean that the whole chorus in ROTS is new, not that he recorded again the entire chorus of the concert piece, of that, i dont know.

But im glad that the difference in chious is noticeable... i cant tell the difference (and the cut and paste job one can make with the TPM works so well... )

Shame they could not record properly. I'm not sure how would they present it in a complete release...

Everyone knew from day one of the recording sessions that were posted on hyperspace that they tracked the choirless Duel Of The Fates in ROTS but re-recorded the choir just for that piece. I guess some here have forgotten about it. They did do a full recording of Duel Of The Fates with out the choir and we've seen small pieces pop up in the games but not the full cue.

I meant the choral re-recording. Was the entire choir rerecorded? Perhaps Williams recorded the whole choir and told Lucas to use whatever he wanted in the sequence?