Star Wars Prequel Music Resource

Henry B

Yeah...I just like to be REALLY sure. I've gotten by spoiled by editing these scores that have had sheet music leaked. Especially when it's Williams' sketches (e.g. ESB), because then you even get notes on how the cues are supposed to segue into each other. That's obvious a lot of the time, but not so much if the music was unused and lacks a clear sync point. I've also gotten spoiled with the original cue titles - I know we already have a fair number of 'em for TPM, but again, I like to be sure. And consistent. And if there's sheet music, you can always create a synthesized mockup of any music that hasn't surfaced yet.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya I'm pretty sure how I have The Phantom Menace is the right order and given the way how cues have leaked in their original form (good portion of the time) in the games has helped things. We never knew how "Gas Leak" ended until The Force Unleashed had the original ending. We thought it was Pod Race music but we thought wrong.

I still doubt there's any music for "Gungan's Retreat" as that was nearly an entire CG sequence so it probably wasn't finished by the time the spotting sessions took place. Lucas probably just told Williams what would go on in that scene or it may have been a last minute addition / tinkering to the film.

I too like to use the original titles for the scores as well.

I'm fairly certain that if this "Drums Insert" cue is the Gungan March, then "The Armies Face Off" is the arrival of the Federation army and the activvation of the droids, then we skip to Theed to finish that cue and begin "Courtyard Crossfire". I believe the next bit, the march, was meant to underscore the Gungans retreating. I'm certain it was actually ready for the film. Subsequently, I don't think "Take to Your Ships" or "The Droid Battle" were scored with the Gungan battle in mind. In fact, I'm fairly certain the opening moments of "The Droid Battle" were meant to score the second part of the Duel between maul, obi-Wan and Qui-Gon that ended up with Duel of the Fates. I have videos of this theory on YouTube.

See what I mean? :) Way too many theories, not enough concrete facts. Not that I'm pooh-poohing the act of theorizing - that can be great fun. But I've just gotten so spoiled on the scores that do have complete or nearly complete sheet music available. Makes the editing process so much more straightforward.

Of course, but I doubt we'll ever see complete sheet music for the prequels. One can hope, but I think we'll genuinely be stuck with theories unless they ever release a complete score, which seems just as unlikely.

You never know...actually, I suspect that sheet music will become available* and a more-or-less complete soundtrack will be officially released. It's just a matter of time. In this case, it might be a matter of a lot of time.

* One trader claimed to have it a few months back, but he disappeared. And some people already have more than half of ROTS.

Of course it's ridiculous to think that the intended edition of the Prequels haven't been released yet since there's no reuse fees. However, I for one theorize we'll be getting them when ever the Saga is released on Blu-Ray. Lucasfilm generally likes to have a soundtrack tie in to their movie releases (or re-releases).

* One trader claimed to have it a few months back, but he disappeared.

MISSING: 29 year-old male known only as "Zuckuss418", last seen in Modesto area wearing a Boba Fett T-shirt and carrying a manilla folder marked "PM composer score". Police would also like to speak to bearded man in fifties also seen in area at time, accompanied by four men in "white suits".

• 2 weeks later...

Having given a second ear to the Elite Squadron music (mainly to find the OT cues) I came across Kota's theme, and so I searched some more. Lo and behold, the Conveyor Belt cue from TFU is there! And it's not distorted! I'm off to find other cues from TFU which don't have distortion amongst the reuses.

I know Jim Ware posted recently saying that the cue from The Phantom Menace, "War Plans" is actually called "Promoting Jar Jar". However, I wonder if that cue that is on the so called Ultimate Edition may actually be two separate cues. The first minute being "Promoting Jar Jar" and the last minute being "War Plans".

The reason for my thinking is because we know the Battlefront 2 files have a portion of "Promoting Jar Jar" which seems to have a natural fade out and not an artificial one.

• 2 weeks later...

I separate the two 'parts' as separate cues. It does seem as though they are meant to be separate cues. AotC uses the second part tracked and when I examined the channels in the film I found no evidence of the ending to the former.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys I wrote Jesse Harlin a message on Facebook asking about those piccolo's in the "Ultimate Edition" of The Phantom Menace score for the track "Qui-Gon's Noble End". I had a feeling that they actually didn't belong there at all. He replied back to me and this is what he said on the matter.

If I understand which part you're talking about, it's the piccolo chattering going on at 0:27 of "Qui-Gon's Noble End" on the Ultimate Edition soundtrack, the section that has "Puska Danya" spoken overtop of it.

In Williams' original cue for the movie, this is the first 10 seconds of a cue called "6M07p2 - Duel Continued." You can actually hear that, on the Ultimate Edition soundtrack, they took this cue, muted the piccolos, and started playing it at 1:36 in "The Gungans Retreat and the Queen Surrenders" (Disc 2, Track 26). The result is solo timpani. In the original cue, the piccolos and timpani begin "Duel Continued" and the rest of the cue can be heard as the end of "The Gungans Retreat and the Queen Surrenders."

So by that it seems the game file from the TPM computer game "Gripping 1" had it right all along!

Thanks for posting the info, Trent! Another thing I started wondering about is the synths - in the UE version, not only are there the piccolos in "The Death of Qui-Gon", but there are some soft synth chords, too. Wonder where they came from - could have been recorded for that cue originally, or for something else, or just added in during the editing process.

No problem happy to pass along the information. ;)

Ya I think the synth material may have been last minute changes by the music editors. We know that long sustained synth note at the end of the film version for "Gas Leak" was a last minute change.

The name of the track in the Ultimate Edition that has those piccolos is called "The Death of Qui Gon & the Surrender of the Gungans" and not Qui-Gon's Noble End (which was a track on the original cd release), correct?

Hey guys I wrote Jesse Harlin a message on Facebook asking about those piccolo's in the "Ultimate Edition" of The Phantom Menace score for the track "Qui-Gon's Noble End". I had a feeling that they actually didn't belong there at all. He replied back to me and this is what he said on the matter.

If I understand which part you're talking about, it's the piccolo chattering going on at 0:27 of "Qui-Gon's Noble End" on the Ultimate Edition soundtrack, the section that has "Puska Danya" spoken overtop of it.

In Williams' original cue for the movie, this is the first 10 seconds of a cue called "6M07p2 - Duel Continued." You can actually hear that, on the Ultimate Edition soundtrack, they took this cue, muted the piccolos, and started playing it at 1:36 in "The Gungans Retreat and the Queen Surrenders" (Disc 2, Track 26). The result is solo timpani. In the original cue, the piccolos and timpani begin "Duel Continued" and the rest of the cue can be heard as the end of "The Gungans Retreat and the Queen Surrenders."

So by that it seems the game file from the TPM computer game "Gripping 1" had it right all along!

<petulant child voice> See, I told ya ;)

Trent knows how to get hold of him on Facebook but we don't actually know where to look specifically on Facebook (there are many signed up to Facebook).

At least we have another two cue names:

6M07p2 - Duel Continued (Formerly Crash Landing)

?????? - Puska Danya (formely Sith Whispers)

So 6M07 - the Great Duel, was part 1. So, where does The Invisible Wall go? It's obviously an insert cue.

I wonder if he'd be willing to supply the correct cue list for TPM?

The "Invisible Wall" goes on the tail end of the first part of the Duel. You can check with that on Disc 2 of the Phantom Menace DVD in the music featurette. The "Ultimate Edition" material for that piece you can clearly tell the did a rough fade in.

Ah, so if this is to be theorised, then we have "The Invisible Wall" going straight into "Duel Continues"... if that is the name of the cue, maybe the first part of the scene we thought completely underscores "Gui-Gon's Noble End" goes there (probably scoring up to the bit where the Invisible Walls close in on Obi-Wan and Maul and Qui-Gon continue on)

So we have three cues in order with a bit of guesswork, I think it's like this:

6M07 The Great Duel

6M07p1 The Invisible Wall

6M07p2 Duel Continues

EDIT: Found some miniscule edits in End of Darth Maul. Disc 2, Track 28, first edit is between 2:05-2:06 (about a second of material removed), second is 2:07-2:08, where Lucas has sped up the material (whereas other cues have their material slowed down).

Patience, young Jedi :P

It's only a matter of time, regardless of whether LucasFilm decide to release complete scores alongside the Blu-Ray films (due for release next year, I believe?), so LucasFilm will one day give us what we want. They cannot afford not to.

We've waited long enough for the complete Prequel scores. I do really hope that Lucasfilm releases them next year to tie into the Blu-Ray release.

Edit: ggtuck, ya I meant that the "Invisible Wall" cue is actually 100% part of "The Great Duel" (first part) and not a separate cue.

Also from what Jesse said the "Duel Part 2" is the first 10 seconds of that one cue with the piccolo's and I think the second part would be "Crash Landing". They were probably recorded as separate cues but then joined together for the game.

Your quote reads this:

I think what he means is that gripping1 is entirely correct on its editing, unless you're suggesting that the timpanis that open it are a separate cue and that Crash Landing kicks in around 1:44, which I don't buy into. It does seem solo in TFU but it is only four seconds of material that fades in then out pretty quickly.

If what I theorize is correct, then cue names only reflect one part of the scene. After all, "Take to Your Ships" isn't entirely socring the hangar battle sequence, I think it also scores parts of the Gungan battle (the middle segment cut from the album track), Qui-Gon's Noble End also scores Queen Amidala being brought before Viceroy.

Gah no...I meant the piccolos and the timpani I believe were recorded as a separate piece but mixed together with the material from "Crash Landing", sorry.

But that would mean that the final timpani roll... simply ended. No timpani hit. While BF2 may support that theory because the track Crash Landing appears in starts at that point, I doubt it, since it has a load of odd mixes anyway (for the sake of looping)

Cool info! In a video edit I made, I used the gripping1 piccolos. I also had it directly follow "The Great Duel", which meant having the shot of Maul pacing lead into Anakin's crash landing. Thanks to Harlin, it looks like I got it right. :thumbup:

I had thought that maybe "The Invisible Wall" was a bridge piece recorded because the scene order changed by the time it was recorded. However, seeing what you guys said about it being part of "The Great Duel", I tried mixing it in with the edit I have and it works well. I am now even more confident that we have things pretty much figured out from "The Great Duel" onward.

Cool info! In a video edit I made, I used the gripping1 piccolos. I also had it directly follow "The Great Duel", which meant having the shot of Maul pacing lead into Anakin's crash landing. Thanks to Harlin, it looks like I got it right. ;)

I had thought that maybe "The Invisible Wall" was a bridge piece recorded because the scene order changed by the time it was recorded. However, seeing what you guys said about it being part of "The Great Duel", I tried mixing it in with the edit I have and it works well. I am now even more confident that we have things pretty much figured out from "The Great Duel" onward.

I think the piccolo chattering and timapni hits score Maul and Qui-Gon continuing the Duel and Obi-Wan lunging forward to get to them in time, before cutting to Anakin's crash landing, then to Queen Amidala captured, and then back to the Duel to finish off the natural conclusion to Qui-Gon's Noble End. It may also be that the Jar-Jar surrendering scene isn't meant to be here either, which would mean that after Qui-Gon is stabbed, Qui-Gon's Noble End continues on with Obi-Wan and Darth Maul duelling until cutting back to Queen Amidala.