Star Wars Prequel Music Resource

Henry B

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luke, I feel that the "Throne Room" reprise in the credits severely disrupts the listening experience with its total lack of necessity and slow, over-reverberated recording. The only reason I would listen to the full version of the credits is if I was listening to all six scores in order - Star Wars being first. Then it's a nice grand finale. But individually, as the RotS credits? No way. Besides, I'm not replicating the bad film edit (the crossfade between BotH and the finale). I used the album version of BotH for the end of BotH in the credits, then brought in the finale's timpani roll after the final chord. It sounds good to me.

RotS expanded track list has been updated with original cue titles (in most cases).

Has anyone started making disc labels and inserts for the expanded ROTS yet? I'm getting fairly close to finished with my expanded edit, and I'm going to make them, but I'm not quite sure what to do. I'm thinking of having Grievous on the first disc, and Anakin and Obi-Wan dueling on the second, or something like that. Anyone else thought about this, or done it?

I have. I'm an iPod person, so I don't even use CDs any more, but I made some for a few friends I burned CDs for (all of whom already bought the OST :fouetaa:). I actually enjoyed making those so much I started making labels for each Star Wars score. I just put one character on each disc. Here's how things are looking so far:

TPM: Jar Jar & Qui-Gon

AOTC: Mace & Padmé

ROTS: Anakin & Obi-Wan

ANH: Luke & Chewie

TESB: Lando & Han

ROTJ: Leia & Boba

I just picked publicity/promotional photos with plain backgrounds and then photoshopped the background big enough to cover the whole disc.

Maybe I'll post some pictures when I'm done.

I made special expanded versions of all the movies in the saga as well, each two discs and to keep them all the same, all the Disc One's have the films theatrical poster as the picture and then for the Disc Two's I made a figure from that movies line the picture, so it went like this:

TPM- Qui-Gon in the Ep. 1 red carded box

AOTC- Anakin in the blue, saga line package

ROTS- The Emperor in the ROTS line package

ANH- Luke in the vintage SW package from the original line

ESB- Yoda in the vintage ESB package

ROTJ- Vader in the ROTJ vintage package

I have. I'm an iPod person, so I don't even use CDs any more, but I made some for a few friends I burned CDs for (all of whom already bought the OST :(). I actually enjoyed making those so much I started making labels for each Star Wars score. I just put one character on each disc. Here's how things are looking so far:

TPM: Jar Jar & Qui-Gon

AOTC: Mace & Padmé

ROTS: Anakin & Obi-Wan

ANH: Luke & Chewie

TESB: Lando & Han

ROTJ: Leia & Boba

And where is Yoda?!!! And Vader and the Emperor?!!!!

I would say:

TPM: Qui gon and Darth Maul

AOTC: Anakin and Padme

ROTS: Yoda and Obi Wan (or Yoda and Chewie) Though anakin and obi wan is the best, it fits perfectly more as a couple to Padme in AOTC (like Han and Leia..)

ANH: Luke and Vader (or Luke and Ben)

TESB: Han and Leia

ROTJ: Jabba and Palpatine (or vader and Palpatine)

Is there any chance for a complete cue list (including all the video game stuff) for The Phantom Menace any time soon?

And where is Yoda?!!! And Vader and the Emperor?!!!!

I'm not neccessarily going for perfect character representation, I'm just using the best pictures I can find. Yoda may still make it on there. Vader won't because I already have Anakin. The Emperor...well, he would go on ROTJ, but there aren't any good publicity photos to use. And I'm keeping Leia from ROTJ, if you know what I mean. :(

Is there any chance for a complete cue list (including all the video game stuff) for The Phantom Menace any time soon?

Ooh, ditto. I never finished making mine after I heard there was some better quality music and a few changes to make.

Well, that's, you know, a really huge project. I will try to get around to it.

By the way I'll have an expanded AotC track list up soon.

Speaking of AOTC, has anybody tried to do anything with the unreleased finale bit? I ripped it from the DVD and stuck it right before the love theme after that note that's shared between it and the Imperial March. It actually sounds pretty good. And it is at least halfway where it's supposed to go.

By the way I'll have an expanded AotC track list up soon.

I have edited one myself two weeks ago with all the extra SFX-free cues on it (except that two-second finale bit), but I didn't have time to list it, and I don't have it with me right now. (If you'd wait two to four more weeks, I could post it.) Nevertheless, if you follow the cue list here on JWFan and the first post of this thread, it's fairly easy.

One remark, for the second part of the (unreleased) Confrontation with Count Dooku (the part with the fast percussion and drums and all), there should be two versions of that unreleased cue available (one of which you didn't list I believe, and I don't know where it came from, John was so kind to send it to me once): one version has a slightly longer beginning, the other a slightly longer ending, so you should mix the two. However their speed is different; you should slow one down with three percent.

Speaking of AOTC, has anybody tried to do anything with the unreleased finale bit? I ripped it from the DVD and stuck it right before the love theme after that note that's shared between it and the Imperial March. It actually sounds pretty good. And it is at least halfway where it's supposed to go.

I don't think the DVD ("Across the Stars" music video, right?) is the best source for this. If I remember correctly, a CD single containing the "Across the Stars" music video with only dialogue was released. (If someone has this, I would be very grateful if you could send it to me.)

One remark, for the second part of the (unreleased) Confrontation with Count Dooku (the part with the fast percussion and drums and all), there should be two versions of that unreleased cue available (one of which you didn't list I believe, and I don't know where it came from, John was so kind to send it to me once): one version has a slightly longer beginning, the other a slightly longer ending, so you should mix the two. However their speed is different; you should slow one down with three percent.

That would be Confrontation with Count Dooku (partial).mp3. I got it from someone (who I don't believe posts here) that apparently ripped it from Bounty Hunter. It's higher quality than the current Bounty Hunter rip, so either the rip went wrong somewhere or - well, there are two versions of the game, PS2 and GCN - maybe the GCN version is better because Lordskylark's rip is from the PS2 version.

I suppose I should mention that all music (as near as I can tell) from Lordskylark's Bounty Hunter rip is .5 semitones lower than it should be. So be sure to adjust that when you're editing.

I suppose I should mention that all music (as near as I can tell) from Lordskylark's Bounty Hunter rip is .5 semitones lower than it should be. So be sure to adjust that when you're editing.

Yep, thanks for mentioning it, pity I didn't know it when I did my edit :)

Nevertheless, how come then that I had to change the pitch? (with 3 percent) Perhaps because that person ripped it like that? (I don't know which of the two cues is the sped-up one though, as I said, I can't check that right now).

Blast, come to think of it, if you first repair the bounty hunter tracks (up 5 semitones), then my pitch change of 3 percent isn't correct anymore. Are you sure it's only the semitones and not the speed too?

Pitch is actually the same as speed when it comes to sound. If you increase the pitch by 50%, the speed will also increase by 50%. This has to do with the frequencies of pitches, A being 660... er... well, I'm not sure of the science behind it, but suffice to say your 3% speed change was approximately the same as .5 semitones.

Update: made some cosmetic changes. By the way, with the various "thematic analysis" threads inactive, I will say here that the "Lament" motif originated from Attack of the Clones: listen to the unreleased cue "The Dark Side Takes Root" (or "Anakin's Confession" or "The Garage Scene"). This was pointed out by somebody at the TFN forums, believe it or not. I'd say this definitely propels it into full-fledged "theme" status, having featured in multiple films.

Pitch is actually the same as speed when it comes to sound. If you increase the pitch by 50%, the speed will also increase by 50%. This has to do with the frequencies of pitches, A being 660... er... well, I'm not sure of the science behind it, but suffice to say your 3% speed change was approximately the same as .5 semitones.

Well, as I see it, there are three possibilities, changing:

- speed

- tone

- pitch = speed + tone

My point being that if you'd only change the semitones, the speed goes uncorrected. Now is my question, could it be that you don't have to correct the speed with 5 semitones, but the pitch with, say 3 percent? (the latter of which would also change the tones of course).

Wait, on the other hand, the problem doesn't pose itself when considering the Bounty Hunter cues for Zam the Assassin / The Chase through Coruscant.

So you're probably right to change only the tones.

Now, assuming that the Confrontation with Dooku (partial).mp3 is the one I had to change the pitch for, and not the Bounty Hunter file (I can't check that right now), you would first change the tones on the Bounty Hunter cue, but that wouldn't change the speed, so you would have to change the speed on the (partial).mp3 too? (not the pitch then)

I could miss the ball here completely though, I'm not an audiophile expert or something.

Anyway, is anybody following here? :)

Well, as I said, tone = pitch (or did I?). At least in the program I use, GoldWave, lowering the pitch by .5 semitones also decreases the speed (by 3% or something). And I'm afraid Confrontation with Count Dooku (Partial).mp3 has the correct pitch/speed (same thing). You have to increase all the Bounty Hunter files by .5 semitones.

Note: you can change speed or pitch alone, but this is a rather unnatural process, and usually brings down the quality of the audio considerably.

Update: made some cosmetic changes. By the way, with the various "thematic analysis" threads inactive, I will say here that the "Lament" motif originated from Attack of the Clones: listen to the unreleased cue "The Dark Side Takes Root" (or "Anakin's Confession" or "The Garage Scene"). This was pointed out by somebody at the TFN forums, believe it or not. I'd say this definitely propels it into full-fledged "theme" status, having featured in multiple films.

Then the usage of 'Welcome home lord Tyranus' in the second part of padme's ruminations (murder mission) could also be intentional and not filling music.

Then the usage of 'Welcome home lord Tyranus' in the second part of padme's ruminations (murder mission) could also be intentional and not filling music.

Yeah. Sort of like the recurring theme from "The Senate" (and other tracks) showing up in "Anakin's Dark Deeds" at 1:22. Speaking of the Senate, I have added a track list for Revenge with tracked music included. The edits for the tracked music are approximate, not exact. I certainly didn't want to replicate those awful nano-edits. Also, nothing is used twice, so the "Arena" segment in the Kashyyyk scene is out because it plays again during Anakin's march into the Jedi Temple (which has been extended a bit because I didn't feel like making the bad film edits there). The clip from "Anakin's Crash Landing" that precedes "Lament" is gone entirely: I feel the action music and the sad elogy clash (strangely though, I like the actual segue between the two cues)

Note on the Main titles Album version:

Isnt the fanfare just after the main title music sound like a bombastic version of the little fanfare in the OT opening credits, for example in SW, just before the rebel blockade runner starts?

Or maybe it is a bombastic orchestration of the normal music.

I always felt the opening title ended abruptly and they recorded a strings background to make it as if it continued, but last day i came up with this...

You might not be including this sort of music in your tracked music list - but wasn't part of "Boys Into Battle" tracked somewhere into "Grievous Attacks"?

Isn't the fanfare just after the main title music sound like a bombastic version of the little fanfare in the OT opening credits, for example in SW, just before the rebel blockade runner starts?

I always felt the opening title ended abruptly and they recorded a strings background to make it as if it continued, but last day i came up with this...

Woah... :D ...I hear it!

Isn't the fanfare just after the main title music sound like a bombastic version of the little fanfare in the OT opening credits, for example in SW, just before the rebel blockade runner starts?

Woah... :) ...I hear it!

really? :P

Luke, pleased someone cared about...

EDIT: I found what it is. It is the missing part from the Main Titles (present in all other 5 films in the same way and differently in ROTS) i made thse mp3 so anybody can catch it. (10 seconds from TPM and 10 secs from ROTS). No OT connection though (but the music that continues this still has some OT feel, more than just the mood)

EDIT2: i cannot post that attachment.

Exact timing:

TPM OST track 1 -> 1:15 to 1:25

ROTS OST track 1 -> 1:14 to 1:24

You might not be including this sort of music in your tracked music list - but wasn't part of "Boys Into Battle" tracked somewhere into "Grievous Attacks"?

Yep - the very beginning (post title-crawl music). I'm not including this because it's a small, rough tracking edit (and I am just doing general approximations of the tracked music), and it replaces part of "Good Guys Arrive."

can someone please help me!!!! i just bought the star wars galaxies the total experience. where do i find the music files and how do i play them? TIA!!!

Galaxies TRE files can be read with the TRE Archiver.

And yes, I am aware that several files specified in the Revenge of the Sith Expanded Edition - with Tracked Music cue list are not available at Lordskylark's FTP. I hope to have this corrected within a few days.

i downloaded and unzipped TREarchiver as well as MultiEx Commander. i opened TREarchiver and clicked on open then went to my c:/programfiles/starwarsgalaxies folder and clicked on data_music_00.tre and then clicked ok and then clicked on extract. i see in the filename box it says selecte directory and in the file type box it says n/a is this right? i selected the desktop in a folder called test and then i clicked ok and it said a run time error 380; invalid property value. what am i doing wrong or is there something wrong with the file or program itself? can someone please help me and walk me thru it please i really want to get these music files, TIA!!!

i am trying to extract the music files from the star wars galaxies the total experience pc game. i downloaded and unzipped TREarchiver into one folder and i downloaded and installed multiex commander too. i opened up TREarchiver clicked on open then i selected the data_music_00.tre file in the c:/programfiles/starwarsgalaxies folder and then i clicked on extract and it askerd me to select a save location so i did, i chose the desktop in a folder titled test, in the file name box it says select directory and in the save as type box it says n/a! it can't be changed how do i fix this and get the music files? even if i just enter a filename or even add .mp3 afterwards it says run time error 380 "invalid property value"!!! please help me as i am new to this, TIA!!! take care.

Thanks so much for adding the tracked music listing. It turns out I had guessed wrong about where to start "Assault on the Temple," and it sounds much better now that I've corrected it, I started nearly a minute too soon. Also nice to be able to add "Charge of the Wookies" into my mix CD, I had no idea where that was from.

03. "GET 'EM, R-2!"  

GAL mus_wookiee_quest_accept 0:11-end (this should go before "The Elevator Scene," but such an edit is not feasible in terms of quality listening)

What makes you say that? It's quite easy really - I got a fairly satisfactory result.

GBS Music04.wav 3:31-end

I might have missed something here, but the version of this track on Skylark's FTP doesn't have a 3:31 point!

Thanks so much for adding the tracked music listing. It turns out I had guessed wrong about where to start "Assault on the Temple," and it sounds much better now that I've corrected it, I started nearly a minute too soon. Also nice to be able to add "Charge of the Wookies" into my mix CD, I had no idea where that was from.

Hey, don't put too much weight on my list. It is very approximate, none of those lousy micro-edits. However, I believe I did get the right start time on "Assault on the Temple."

I might have missed something here, but the version of this track on Skylark's FTP doesn't have a 3:31 point!

Does for me... it should be within "The Tide Turns." Let me download this file again and check.

What makes you say that? It's quite easy really - I got a fairly satisfactory result.

Editing it onto "They're Coming Around" is fine, but that leaves "The Elevator Scene" out in the cold, no clean beginning. Once the DVD comes out, a rear-channel rip of Grievous's entrance should fix this right up.

EDIT: "Music04.mp3" is completely different... dang. I will try to get this stuff sorted out. In the meantime, can someone confirm this list of needed music for the "tracked" list?

GBS"Escape from Naboo" (I think it's Music03.mp3, but this GB music totally needs restructuring)

RC musGEN_epilogue_ep.mp3

GBS Music04.mp3 (the current one is inaccurate)

Anything I missed?

Editing it onto "They're Coming Around" is fine, but that leaves "The Elevator Scene" out in the cold, no clean beginning. Once the DVD comes out, a rear-channel rip of Grievous's entrance should fix this right up.  

It worked fine for me. This is a sample of my edit.

All the tracked music problems should be fixed. The "Flying the Half-Ship" bit was there - I just mislabelled it as Music04.mp3. It is Music03.mp3. Music02.mp3 (with "Escape from Naboo") is now up, as is RC musGEN_epilogue_ep.mp3.

UPDATE: Awesome news! You can download some of "Goodbye Old Friend" here! The "Geonosis" trailer. Unfortunately, it fades out before the Force theme is finished... but this is still really cool.

UPDATE: Awesome news! You can download some of "Goodbye Old Friend" here! The "Geonosis" trailer...

Oooh, wizard! :|

Anybody need a WAVE recording of it?

Ozzel - who's about to starting editing his ROTS soundtrack...again.

This is going to sound SO stupid, but in my last message I put an attachment - where is it? How does one see attachments? :oops:

I've deleted it. I don't want copyrighted music being posted here at the board.

Neil

I guess we'll be getting that complete ROTS...a few seconds at a time.That new clip was 5 seconds short of beeing great.

Also,I can't seem to edit it with the "jump" music we had so it sounds good :|

K.M.

Well,that fanfare when ObiWan reaches the Hyperspace ring.We have it in the "original" version.Isn"t that supposed to go after the force theme now since it was kept?

K.M.