Star Wars Prequel Music Resource

Henry B

I think they're still the same...I listened to the bit from "Be Careful Of Your Friend" with these new PS2 rips and I still heard the distortion for the cue. There's no distortion in the PC version of the rips which I'm grateful for.

Padme, regarding your question I am not home so I can't check...but when I am home later this afternoon I'll give the file a listen...but it's very possible that is from "Anakin's Confession".

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there is a small statement of the Emperor's theme at the end of the cue, before it goes into "Shmi's Funeral", it's in the previous PS2 rips of the game which is in the film and is not tracked. However, the statement of the Emperor's theme before the Imperial March statement, believe it or not is actually tracked from the end of the score. I thought I heard it once before but I left it in my edit since it seemed so fitting.

I'll give a double listen to the file later today when I get home for you.

I'm guessing you guys already have this or know about this, but just in case, the Hoth level has just been released for the PS3 and there's a good part of the Sidious vs Windu music when you fight Luke.

Well there is a small statement of the Emperor's theme at the end of the cue, before it goes into "Shmi's Funeral", it's in the previous PS2 rips of the game which is in the film and is not tracked. However, the statement of the Emperor's theme before the Imperial March statement, believe it or not is actually tracked from the end of the score. I thought I heard it once before but I left it in my edit since it seemed so fitting.

But the quote of the Emperor's Theme at the end of file 205 is from RotS, yes. It's not the version that was tracked from "Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale." The beginning of the cue is a variation on the Dies Irae motive.

The beginning of the cue is a variation on the Dies Irae motive.

and where does that come from, the same scene?

EDIT

201 contains the transition from the end of "Be Careful of your Friend" is that news? :)

No, but i'm pissed off were missing those 5 seconds leading into the final section of the cue. There's a very dark,ominous and oppressive feel to that cue and without those 5 seconds it loses some of it's impact

But I'm happy that we got the dark fanfare at the end of that cue,it's one of my favorite moments in the entire score.

If we can only get the errie choir part of Palpatine's Big Pitch, that's another fascinating Williams nugget

could you maybe also check no. 37? I am not familiar with that one - maybe it is "TUsken Camp" a track I barely know

It is the second half of "Tusken Camp and the Homestead" but we don't have the clean ending for the Tusken Camp cue. It also contains some of the film version of "Spying on the Conspirators".

By the way Padmé to fully answer your previous two questions now, yes 205 is from "Anakin's Confession" or "Dark Side Takes Root".

37 is from "The Tusken Camp". :) Hope that helps.

I'm really anxious to see what new music we'll get with The Force Unleashed 2. I'm hoping with this and The Old Republic and maybe a couple of other games in the next year or two we'll have our own complete version of ROTS stitched together.

Edit: I'm a bit miffed that a lot of the cut scenes contain some useful unreleased AOTC and ROTS music...but doesn't surface separately during game play or in different files. It is sort of annoying. Even Battlefront 2 was the same way with cut scenes...

Edit 2: "The Tusken Camp" on the OST is as long as it appears on the OST. I don't think it's made up of two separate cues.

There's a few cues that I don;t expect we'll ever get from videogames like the complete Padme's Visit or the Finale but for a lot of the other underscore such as It Can't Be Part 1 , Palpatine's Big Pitch , Death of Dooku is music that could be used in any videogame scene so we just haven't been lucky

The Force Unleashed 2 is probably closer to OT times, it's hard to tell, since in the good ending you died, and the bad ending has been continued on the Tatooine and Hoth missions, but they might use more OT music.

The Force Unleashed 2 is probably closer to OT times, it's hard to tell, since in the good ending you died, and the bad ending has been continued on the Tatooine and Hoth missions, but they might use more OT music.

Not necessarily, remember the trailer shows that Starkiller is basically a Jedi now...hope they will explain how he survived the assault on the Emperor.

I would hope that wouldn't be the case. I hope it's some sort of little side story before he confronts the Emperor on the Death Star but then again he has two sabers in his hands in the trailer. Maybe Vader brought him back to life again, gonna be interesting to see how they explain this one.

I'm guessing you guys already have this or know about this, but just in case, the Hoth level has just been released for the PS3 and there's a good part of the Sidious vs Windu music when you fight Luke.

BTW most of that is all ready with the rips we have now and the Battlefront 2 rips.

BTW 385 is part of "I Am The Senate", it plays when Sidious tells Anakin to become his apprentice and learn the ways of the Dark Side.

So is there anything substantial added to the 4 CD boot of PHANTOM MENACE from 2-3 years back? i remember two short cues for the Naboo battle i quite liked and of course the choirless version of DUEL OF THE FATES, which unfortunately still had choir in it's second half.

The same for ROTS. I got a 2-CD version which seemed to have odds and ends from the final battle, but the tracks always sounded a bit hacked up.

I trimmed the 4 disc TPM down massively to 2 discs.

I left AOTC alone and have about 90 mins of ROTS

I'm patient, I'll wait for the official releases to come.

The same for ROTS. I got a 2-CD version which seemed to have odds and ends from the final battle, but the tracks always sounded a bit hacked up.

If you stick to music only game material (no rear channel DVD rips ) ,at this point the score is about 84% complete with near c.d. quality sound . Over time most we got the missing small sections/clean cue endings that made some of the previous versions a bit choppy. All the previous lower quality game rips/recordings (recording with a bit of distortions or low bit rate) have been replaced with high quality ones. What's still missing is mostly a few full cues .It's almost at the point that it doesn't matter if it gets released officially

Personally I can't stand how rear channel DVD rips sound but the game stuff is like bonus OST cues

AotC is still missing a lot.

File 407 : contains a section of It Can't Be pt 1 we didn't have before

Edit 2: "The Tusken Camp" on the OST is as long as it appears on the OST. I don't think it's made up of two separate cues.

The OST track seems to be made up of two cues - "Tusken Camp" and "The Homestead", which is actually the bit that's in 37. In the OST this cue begins at approximately 4:00, but it's got the violin chord over the top, indicating that it is indeed two separate cues. We don't have that violin chord clean.

I still have the feeling we're missing a part of I Am the Senate, the unreleased bits. Track 85 seems to just cut at 0:01.5

298, 348 and 397 all contain Droid Fight from TPM, but in AotC's tracked "Dooku Escapes" mix. It's the same take as the UE version.

The OST track seems to be made up of two cues - "Tusken Camp" and "The Homestead", which is actually the bit that's in 37. In the OST this cue begins at approximately 4:00, but it's got the violin chord over the top, indicating that it is indeed two separate cues. We don't have that violin chord clean.

Ah, I hear it now thanks for clearing that up.

I still have the feeling we're missing a part of I Am the Senate, the unreleased bits. Track 85 seems to just cut at 0:01.5

Yes we are still missing parts for "I Am The Senate" good chunks of it. If you listen to how the cue in 85 ends the music at the very tail end, pay attention to it because it's the same music that plays after the tracked drum roll where the music picks up again in the film after the lightning sequence.

I sent you my edit of the cue the way how I edited it is definitely the way it should go.

298, 348 and 397 all contain Droid Fight from TPM, but in AotC's tracked "Dooku Escapes" mix. It's the same take as the UE version.

I was gonna ask for 397 where the "Droid Fight" piece kicks in, doesn't it seem like it's an alternate segment of sorts, or are those instruments that are overlayed probably synth ones Harlin did?

So is there anything substantial added to the 4 CD boot of PHANTOM MENACE from 2-3 years back? i remember two short cues for the Naboo battle i quite liked and of course the choirless version of DUEL OF THE FATES, which unfortunately still had choir in it's second half.

I think Good Musician made the 4-CD set....honestly that set is an over kill...I don't need every take for the Phantom Menace in a set. For my set I used the first takes for a lot of the cues, IE: Escape From Naboo, because to me it had more life than what was presented in the final cut of the score.

For AOTC and especially ROTS I would never include any of the tracked TPM music.

The Droid Fight bits contain not only synth instruments by Harlin, but 298 also contains a War Drum underneath.

Droid Fight kicks in at 0:09 in 397. It's definitely the UE take of Droid Fight - The others match the instrumentation of the UE (except for the snare-roll transition which is closer to the "First Run" - another Lucas meddling, no doubt as the edit sounded quite fake in the UE), but the material in 397 matches the mono mashup material for that bit.

I'll upload my edit of the track to YouTube to show you the complete Droid Fight cue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've figured out why TFU is 'CD' quality but distorted.

Has anybody got Adobe Soundbooth? It has mastering options. But if the sound is as loud as even the BF2 sound is, it gets distorted in the same way as TFU is. I think it's a form of wave-form reduction or something. In any case, when used properly IE on quieter files, it makes the sound like CD quality. I did a few tests on BF2 files, boosting the quality and it worked! It sounds much the same quality as the Phantom Menace UE. The only file with distortions is one of the Yoda Strikes Back files but there's nothing I can do to mend it. The rest of them sound pretty good, I must say.

Right now, I'm re-editing The Phantom Menace with the new mastering settings, and I must say the music is a damned-sight better with it - some instruments are much clearer because of the mastering.

I put a sample on YouTube, if anybody's interested in how a mastered track sounds when it is done properly.

Some TFU files have clipping ,you can see it in the wave form (the peaks are flat) ...that's why it distorts. Someone amplified them too much to mix them in the game.

It affects the unreleased dark fanfare of Anakin's Dark Deeds, unfortunately

Yes, it's the mastering options that have caused it. If you simply raised the volume of a piece, it would not cause the same clipping.

The Album Version of Duel of the Fates contains loops and inserted segments. I've got the correct edit in my set, but here's the break down of the Album Version:

Using Track 2 of the OST:

0:00-1:15 is okay.

1:15-1:20 - the first high note is actually a loop of the second high note. The actual note that goes here is in the UE D2 T24 0:10-0:16. Or it can be found in A Musical Journey.

1:20-2:19 is okay

2:19-2:38 is both volume-enhanced and filled with reverb. The unaltered bit is only available in A Musical Journey.

2:38-2:55.5 is okay

2:55.5-3:01.5 is a loop of 3:55-4:01. The correct material can be heard in the UE, D2 t22, 0:18.5-0:25.

3:01.5-3:07.5 is okay

3:07.5-4:08.5 - the material itself is fine but the transition between this bit and the last bit occurs too quickly. The correct spacing appears in the UE, d2, t20 and t22, and also in A Musical Journey

4:08.5-end - is the WRONG ending measures. These measures come from the unused, concerty version of Duel of the Fates, and the correct ending measures can be found in A Musical Journey. You can notice the edit because the natural reverb from the clash cymbals changes between the edit.

I hope that made sense.

More like most of it's the same take, but with loops and inserts placed in. The only bit that doesn't come from this take is the last four notes. But Williams seems to have done quite a bit of editing to it.

Listen to the score to the times that ggtuck laid out. After really paying attention to it I hear it now. It's a cobbled together piece, not a true concert suite at all. It's a very well edited together piece.

Man, we really need a properly assembled 2CD set with not only all the music but detailed liner notes that explain everything

Wait... are you saying the piece "Duel of the Fates" as we know it is and edit piece of several takes or that it was never really written to be like we know and is formed from different individual pieces?? If it's the latter, maybe Lucas hack job of the music isn't so crazy afterall?? ;)

In a nutshell that's basically what it is. We all knew Lucas was a hack job. The way how he allowed Williams music to be hacked up in the Prequels is pretty sad.

Personally if I were Williams I would want to make sure my intended versions of the Prequel scores were released the right way.

Yeah... but that edit of Duel of the Fates was done for the album, and we all know Williams himself supposedly selects the music that is going to be on the album, so that particular piece would be Williams approved.

Cutting, looping, and splicing music to achieve the director's desired result is not much different than doing the same with video footage or juxtaposing actors and props against computer generating backgrounds. And pooling resources from a large number of takes gives one more building blocks to play with. George Lucas directed the picture, not John Williams.

Yeah... but that edit of Duel of the Fates was done for the album, and we all know Williams himself supposedly selects the music that is going to be on the album, so that particular piece would be Williams approved.

Well, it happened several times in Williams OSTs that the concert/album arrangements of the main themes were editorially created using bits and pieces from end credits suites or other cues. I'm sure he oversees and approves everything that ends up on the official OST album.

The extremely famous "Theme From Superman" is simply a few sections of the alternate Prelude and the end credits combined together

williams is a hack....

but as far as i understood it in the end, there is a cue from the TPM recording sessions that is duel of the fates concert version, in its unaltered form, used on the musical jurney dvd.

But i dont know why williams liked the ost edit better than his original edition :/

This is not like the SW main titles. That is an edit for the film, williams may have not had any imput. When he plays the piece in concerts or re-recordings its one of the takes, and i think, the he used the same composition to re-record it for the prequels.