Star Wars Prequel Music Resource

Henry B

Wait, why was the Imperial March a last minute replacement? After all, it was written and recorded by Williams, wasn't it? It's not like it was tracked in.

I just would like to hear the unedited end credits.

It was composed during recording sessions, i suppose.

That's the closest you cant get as 'last minute additions' go before resorting to cheap tracking.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it was still a consensual decision by Williams and Lucas, so why on earth is it bad? I think it's one of the few good moments in AotC.

It's a great musical moment, the most majestic rendition of the Imperial March.

But since it does not bear much sense in thematical development, the original would have been better in that regard, since one LSO player stated it was the Imperial motif from Star Wars.

No average moviegoer recognises the Imperial motif from Star Wars, but everyone knows the Imperial March, so Lucas and Williams probably wanted to make sure everyone gets the connection.

Hi All, long time lurker first time poster. I was wondering if anybody could help me... I've been through this thread lots but never found the right post. I remember playing the TPM game back in 1999 and I swear I can remember some very cool variations of the Federation march and also a kind of action version of Anakin's theme. Am I making this up???!!!

I don't know of an action version of Anakin's Theme unless you mean "Anakin's Great Victory" (used at the end of the Podrace cutscene, but there are a couple of versions of the Federation March in the game, such as "The Droid Invasion" or "The Armies Face Off".

I don't know of an action version of Anakin's Theme unless you mean "Anakin's Great Victory" (used at the end of the Podrace cutscene, but there are a couple of versions of the Federation March in the game, such as "The Droid Invasion" or "The Armies Face Off".

I always remember it being around the Naboo levels. It was an awesome cue and wasn't from Anakin's great victory. Sorry!

• 4 weeks later...

In the new Star Wars The Old Republic Trailer there is probably 15 sec of unreleased and never before heard music included starting at 04:06.

That could be from the original AOTC Finale although it doesn't sound like the Imperial motive or it is something else no one knew about!!!

here is the link

by the way if all other music is John Williams music, why would they compose or use something out of the game just for these few seconds

I think it is Williams material ;)

They've done the same with the trailer for TFU2 - used an amalgamation of Williams material and (I assume) Mark Griskey's material.

Ah okay I just watched that trailer. Damn the computer animation for people in that is beyond light years better than anything I've seen. They look very realistic.

In regards to the music what music is featured in there is just as ggtuck most likely new bits composed for the game. However for the AOTC and ROTS music it's stuff we all ready have.

I agree that the odds are in favor of it being new material composed for the game. However I did try to sync it up with the clones taking off at the end of AOTC.

I started the music right as the first wide shot of the clones appears going under the assumption that the build up score to the wide shot is the original music as you can jump into the Imperial March or a choir as the wide shot opens up easily enough. Interestingly when the choir starts to hold that final note, the shot switches to Palpatine on the balcony with Senators. However, the music ends before that shot switches again. The music could possibly have been cut off too soon in the Old Republic trailer just to fit that animation sequence though. But even with the Imperial March in the film the change in shots doesn't always line up with the change in arrangement or start of the next cue. On the flip side of that, its the Imperial March and thus can only really go one way unless it was sped up or slowed down (which wouldn't have worked) and thus the shots wouldn't line up anyways.

Then of course you have to factor in that snippet from the Across the Stars music video which is clearly just instrumental and seems to flow right into the love theme and the next scene. Though we're not 100% certain it belongs at the end. I suppose it's possible that as the first balcony clip ends and the next shot of the clones begins, the choir transitions into an orchestral blow out. However I can't hear any similarities between that music video snippet and the choir segment here assuming the choir piece isn't heavily edited.

But there just is no way of knowing at this point and I would just assume its new material for the game.

maybe Yoda's Departure from RotS ? one can hope

That would be nice too.

I noticed in the cut scenes for TFU there's quite a bit of unreleased ROTS music that hasn't surfaced yet. I wish those cut scenes would appear as just music as well...would be very helpful.

are they SFX heavy? or just alot of talking, because if its just talking you can take the voices out with a sound editing program like audacity or Adobe Audition

Well, you can take out the voices if they're a mono signal and if the source audio hasn't been compressed too badly. Any compression, reverb, or panning will make it imperfect...and regardless, you sacrifice the sound quality of the music. I only use that when the music is otherwise completely unavailable or when the DVD rip sounds even worse.

Well, you can take out the voices if they're a mono signal and if the source audio hasn't been compressed too badly. Any compression, reverb, or panning will make it imperfect...and regardless, you sacrifice the sound quality of the music. I only use that when the music is otherwise completely unavailable or when the DVD rip sounds even worse.

well i used to use audacity to take voices out i first used it on Ambush the first episode of the clone wars season 1 but it was a mp3 rip of an edit of the episode that i did, when i ripped a wav of the original later it came out much much smoother, now recently i used it on two LOTR:CR cues, Bag End to take out gandalfs song, and Keep it Secret Keep it safe (or whatever) when bilbo sings when he sets off for rivendell and it sounded nicely

Hmmm. Exactly what is your technique here, cause I'd kill for that LOTR music without the Ians singing over it

Hmmm. Exactly what is your technique here, cause I'd kill for that LOTR music without the Ians singing over it

i took the WAV of the track/s and used auditions Center Channel Extractor and used the setting vocals removed/vocal remover/vocals removed and Wala! all thats left is to take the edited portion and blend it into the original cue and you have bag end Vocal-less for some tracks it works good (i.e. the green dragon) for others it doesnt (i.e. the houses of healing)

i have a preview of the track, its not super quality because i took it from a 320kbps MP3 instead of WAV like i should have: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdEhrqmYbfA

i also have the ROTK trailer music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR4udISH2fQ

Can't legally beat the price. :o And as I've told Trent before, I'm mostly quite happy with Audacity, even though I'm sure Audition can do some things it can't, and I'm sure it makes some things easier as well.

Can't legally beat the price. :o And as I've told Trent before, I'm mostly quite happy with Audacity, even though I'm sure Audition can do some things it can't, and I'm sure it makes some things easier as well.

audition leaves the bass in there unlike the center pan remover for audacity with that you have to use a high/low pass filter first

• 2 weeks later...

The only difference I can notice is the way the flutes play in the lead up to the crescendo. Then again, I'm sure I've heard that done in a concert suite for the Main Titles somewhere...

You know, you were right about that princess leia orchestration (well partially since you said it is also used on the main titles concert version, an i think i it has never been used there, he uses the film orchestration there).

Because, listening to the 'music of america' CDs that contain the Throne room concert version from the Skywalker Simphony performance, it is the same orchestration and the TPM.

I wonder why i had never noticed it before hearing the TPM cue. Strange.

• 4 weeks later...

Dooku Talks to Obi-Wan - I believe in the film this is tracked material, pulled from Arrival at Coruscant and War Plans from TPM, and Conveyor Belt to end it.

It did have tracked music from TPM yes, but it's very possible that perhaps there was original music there but it was dropped in favor of tracked music instead.

If I recally properly, the Dooku talks to Obi-wan was a scene filmed late into post-production and was possibly not ready when the music was composed for that segment of the movie.

I read on IMDB trivia that the battle at the end between the clones, Jedi and droids was actually scored by John Williams then dropped in favor of tracked music. I've never heard that before and I'm sure IMDB trivia is about as reliable as Wikipedia so I guess its held with a grain of salt, but if it is true, I'm very curious to here the original composition and wondering why anyone would drop original music for music from another film.

Just speaking theoretically here, but if the new music is just too difficult to edit to the picture, it might make more sense to use tracked music. But as you said, it's unwise to put too much faith in comments on IMDB. Until the sheet music leaks (please!!!) or the complete score gets released (please!!!), we probably won't know.

Williams didn't compose anything for that scene .I thought it was clear by now

What's so clear about that? Has it been confirmed that no music was written for that part?

The website for The Force Unleashed 2 is now totally updated. I haven't gone through it much, but when you go to "Game Info", the music starts with Duel of the Fates' instrumental, then goes into a few notes I don't recognize, then what sounds to me like a short clip of the music that plays when Palpatine has just revealed his true nature to Anakin, when he tells Anakin to learn "the power to save Padme", before the cut back to Utapau (the low Emperor's theme with the building choir). Not sure if we have that, but I figured I'd mention it. I have yet to explore the rest of the site and hear what else is there.

EDIT: Upon listening to the cue from Sith's complete score ("Palpatine's Seduction"), we do have it. But hey, at least the site seems to have clips not officially released...

rpvee, I don't think the music loop on that web site has anything useful. Most of it is original score for the game. But like the first Force Unleashed, there will no doubt be unreleased music in the game rips.

Major TPM update coming soon:

No, not a new editing list, not yet. I admit that with the ever increasing number of games and other sources, I've lost track of this project. I would like to "reclaim" it, though only to provide my own input. Of course, others can and have taken it into their own hands, and that's fine with me. First, I'd like to summarize where we are at in terms of newer games (focused on for AOTC and ROTS music, but basically ignored as far as TPM goes) and provide a much more useful tutorial for beginning editors (to do this right, you need to know a lot more than how to crossfade!). I'd also like to clarify the legal terms to ensure that this thread and others like it are allowed to remain open. Obviously, no asking for game rips or edits publicly and all that.

Actually, as we're on page 100, according to board policy this thread should be locked and a new one begun. That's what I'll do with the update.

Actually, as we're on page 100, according to board policy this thread should be locked and a new one begun. That's what I'll do with the update.

Make sure you have Thread Police approval first.

If it's not a new editing list I wonder what the update is. Could it be a new cue list or some new material has surfaced?

Me, I was pretty much finished with TPM (I went and mastered it betetr too) and now I'm going through the same processes with my Episode II and III edits.

I still haven't really done TPM. ROTS was a fun project to redo because of the availability of certain...erm...resources, and I did AOTC a while back, too. But TPM is such a daunting project to tackle that I'm pretty much just waiting for the original conductor's scores to surface so I can make sure I'm doing it right.

I'm fairly certain I know the order of most the score against the film (accounting for deleted scenesand certain omissions possibly in the original edit). Battle of Naboo is the trickiest because it suffered the most tampering.