Are the musical edits all that bad.....?

I've seen the film now 3 times, and listened to the CD hundreds. And yes, i'm just a little upset that there's not much original music in the final battle. But apart from hardcore fans like us... do normal (for want of a better word) people actually notice?

The first time i saw the film I promised myself I wouldnt analyse anything. FX, music, editing... i promised I would just watch it as a film.... and I thoroughly enjoyed it. loved it to bits.

The second time I allowed myself to watch and listen a bit closer. It was then that i noticed some music from TPM, and some awkward editing.

The point is... if I can watch the film without noticing, them I'm pretty sure all of the kids, and other non-williams fans probably didn't even know about the musical edits, as they do actually work well where they are placed. I'm sad about it, don't get me wrong... but for it's intended audience, I'm pretty sure it worked just fine :(

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is... if I can watch the film without noticing, them I'm pretty sure all of the kids, and other non-williams fans probably didn't even know about the musical edits, as they do actually work well where they are placed.

Probably (the score's edit's made it some what disjointed... which probably added to the disjointedness of the film...). But it worked horribly for us!

Nobody I have seen it with have noticed any musical edits, and some of them are casual Williams fans.

I've said before that, as annoying as all the music edits are, they always WORK with the images on screen.

At least this time it seems most of what Williams wrote ended up in the movie, so we won't have to rely on much video game music to fill in the gaps (if we get a UE in the same style as TPM's UE).

-Jason

I have only seen the movie once, and I like it alot lot. I did notice when I saw it a few TPM cues used, and the same few bars of music, from the AOTC score, used five or six times during the course of the movie (not the love theme). But I didn't think the editing was bad at all. But I don't know how devoloped my ear for music is, so I could easily be wrong.

-Jason

I just can't NOT mentally hum along to the music when it's onscreen. Especially when I'm watching a movie whose soundtracks I know by heart for the first time (like the last two Star Wars movies). I was able to enjoy the movie but I took notice at every little change to the music. Therefore, I think the edits are bad. I bet you Lucas could have used the Arena Battle cue over any part of the battle he wanted and it would have worked perfectly.

From what I'm reading I guess I'm also one of the few who still believes Williams wrote music for the final battle. I read todays Film Score Daily and it has a letter from someone who claims to have been involved with the production. This person states that the version of the movie Williams scored was very much the same but in place of SFX there were animatics. That leads me to believe he must have wrote music for it.

NP: AOTC

Despite the obvious edits and obvious cuts from TPM, I still think the film kicked royal ass.

Dan - being frank

:mrgreen: "Ben's Antics" from Stepmom

Thats a weird bug, I don't understand why it says I posted as a Guest up there..........

-Jason

Maybe he is right, but I view Star Wars as one big movie that has been cut into episodes to make it possible to make. It is really one big story. Perhaps this editting job was used to throw the viewer back to the droid battle anyways. Maybe it was meant to be a subconscious thing. Whatever the case, Lucas is not lazy, nor is Williams. There is a perfectly logical explanation, I am sure of that. Maybe they were going to re-record that music, but decided that they wanted to have the exact same music because it would be impossible to exactly replicate the feel of the music.

~Conor, who trusts JW and GL completely

I think JW is quite capable of replicating anything he wants to. Lucas wasn't done with the editing, so music was needed for unfinished scenes. Still, I think he should go back and do new music for those scenes now that they seem to be done.

~Harry

I agree, Harry! (as usual)

Dan - who doesn't think Johnny would do that, out of "pissed-offness" with the apparent "hack job"

:) "The Ruling / Graduation" from Patch Adams (Shaiman)....getting emotional..... 8O

• 18 years later...

Some musical edits are really bad.  I think the edits in The Empire Strikes Back Special Edition are just awful and jarring.  I can no longer watch that movie because it's the only available version.