What is your favorite musical instrument?

Luke Skywalker

I dont know if this has been asked before (i searched but i could find anything)

I think mine is the Violin. I think it can express sentiments/moods very well and that's why i like it.

It can work marvels when in group too :)

And Williams has made so great ussage of it...

So, what's yours?

:) Schindler's List

I love the violin for the way it conveys emotion.

But thanks to "The Village" and "Interview With the Vampire," I look forward to hearing French horn being blared at its top register.

Not to be a stickler but it really annoys me when people call the horn a "French" Horn. The official name for horn is Horn in F or just horn for short. IT IS NOT FRENCH. I'm only touchy about that because thats what I play. Its my favorite instrument too.

Timpani.

And Mr. Cosman, where have you taken my precious plus-size harmonica? It's a priceless collectors' item! Tell me now!

I'm sorry, I'd have used simply "horn" as in German, but then some people would have assumed I'm talking about brass instruments in general. ;) Of course, I mostly get to hear Viennese Horns around here.

Marian - not to forget the Wagner tuba. ;)

Hmm, too hard to choose. I played the clarinet in Junior High.... I still have it. I really love the trumpet though and french horn comes second in my vote.

I'm partial to piano, because I play it, but in terms of my favorite instrument to listen to... no idea, really. Violin, French horn, trumpet ensemble, harp, clarinet, contrabassoon, flute, all great instruments.

See signature. I play the horn as well, and have no problem with people calling it the French horn. French or not, that's what it's commonly known as, so I don't see the big deal. A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet...or something to that effect. :music:

Ray Barnsbury

I believe so. I copied the quote directly from an article about Williams' horn concerto, delighted to see such a great statement about my instrument from my favorite composer.

Ray Barnsbury

horn, it's extremely versatile I think. I think a horn can be used in more situations than most other instruments. And in solo mode it excels at both noble and sad music.

To play:

1- Violin

2- Piano

To hear as solo instrument:

1- Violin

2- Cello

3- Piano

To hear in a symphonic orchestra:

1- Shakuhachi

2- Snare drum

3- Cimbalon

4- Glockenspiel

5- Harp glissandi

6- Celesta

7- Bass pizzicati

8- Jawbone

9- Cello Bartok pizzicati

10-Cymbal crush

11-French Horn

12-Taiko drums

13-Gong

14-Bass drum

I really like the trumpet, French Horn (I can't say Horn in F because it may be B-flat due to its double horn-ness, or it may even be a triple horn), the Uilleann pipes, and the tinwhistle, but the my most versatile favorite instrument has got to be the orchestra.

~Conor

I like the piano too, hearing pino arrangements of Williams themes, i think it sounds like a 'small orchestra' in some way. I mean you can play all the background rythms and music while playing the main part...

• 4 months later...

Almost all instruments in the orchestra have beautiful and many good qualities. If I was pressed to name one over all others it would be French Horn. The sound of the instrument is so beautiful and varied. It can sound noble, defeated, utterly lonely and forlorn, heroic, soft and soothing, blaringly frightening and harsh. I know many instruments express emotions as well as french horn but the round sound it makes (that is the best way to describe it) is just absolutely beautiful.

If I had time I would complement each instrument in the symphony orchestra and few more but for the sake of space and nerves I leave it at french horn. :)

French Horn(that's what Williams calls it anyways)

Indeed, I tend to trust much more John Williams himself that that memeber here (probably someone who dislike France? :eek: )

:)

Have to say the solo in Always made me fall in love with the French Horn, it's just fantastic (I think it was James Thacher?)

Also the intro to Arlington from JFK is awesome.

From that to the powerful trills and glissandi Goldenthal writes

Numero 1 for me!

Well French Horn is the common name but Horn in F is the official name, as decided by the IHS (International Horn Society). I sometimes called it French Horn too, because horn in general does tend to cause confusion and if I said Horn in F...well then forget about it.

And kudos to he who brought up the triple horn, a double horn is already tough for most people to grasp the idea of, let alone one that plays in three keys.

Ha, if I could get my hands on a triple...F Alto must be a godsend... :)