What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heartbeeps (for the first time)

Love it Love it LOVE IT!!!!!!

It's so different from what i've heard from Williams. He needs to do something like this again.

Stargate

Great main theme boring score.

Atlantis

Okay i love Newton Howard but OMG this is so uninspired, boring and trivial score i think i've ever heard.

Next up Dinosaur.

TTT and ROTK are pretty bland scores, IMHO. FOTR, on the other hand, has some amazing passages. Much like the movies.

Romão, who will only buy the FOTR expanded sountrack.

And Atlantis unispired? It's one of my all time favorites, specially the second half. The theme for the Crystal Chamber (which is also heard in The King Dies) is grandiose without being overpowering (ala LOTR).

I just listened to the score for Williams' 'Superman' three times in the last two days. Both discs of the complete score. The first disc is amazing. He intertwines the themes for Planet Krypton, the Krypton crystal, Superman theme, Smallville theme, Love Theme, Villian Theme, etc so beautifully. Vintage Williams!

I haven't listened to it with headphones in such a long time. Actually sitting down and listening to it, know what I mean?

I was worth it to discover it all over again!

Tim

TTT and ROTK are pretty bland scores, IMHO. FOTR, on the other hand, has some amazing passages. Much like the movies.

RoTK is my favorite of the bunch, but I think it sags during the last 30 minutes or so (like the film). The first score has some amazing passages. I look forward to the set, to get to knwo this score better. I never feel like I'm really getting the full picture when listening to the current album.

Last score I listened to was Silva's marvelous recording of The Guns of Navarone. I can't recommend this CD strongely enough.

Torn Curtain The Unused Score.  All I can say is, shame on you Mr Hitchcock.

Best Herrmann ever.

I listened to "Interview With A Vampire" by George Fenton, rejected. Quite different from Goldenthal's, Fenton was really inspired this time. Beautiful.

Also excellent was (from what I've been listening lately) Joe Hisaishi's new score for Buster Keaton's "The Machinist". It does sound like a score for a silent movie.

Twilight Zone: The Movie by Jerry Goldsmith. Simply amazing, just bought it at JB-HiFi for $18, how about that for luck! The Overture is purely grand. "Kick The Can" sounds so Spielberg, I'm sure John Williams would have done something very similar. "Time Out" is interesting for its comical militaristic percussion. "It's A Good Life", being the first collaboration between Goldsmith and Joe Dante, is worth the price of the entire CD alone with its lush orchestration and build up to a sweet finale. And finally, "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" shows the composer kind of rehashed his own material for Gremlins in the following year, even so, this track is pure schizophrenia, its fantastic.

Best Herrmann ever.

Great prelude.... one of his best. The rest of the score is very good, but slightly one dimensional. Granted I have only listened to it twice, but I still have to put Citizen Kane ahead of this one for me.

And all I can say to you is kiss my ass. :)

What would mother think of you using that kind of language?

What would mother think of you using that kind of language?

My mother thinks highly of her son. She's a proud woman much like Alma although Alma is less loopy.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I have to say that this score rivals if not out does Hook in terms of quality. The themes are outstanding and are well written and some great action music to go with it. This will be a classic for sure.

HPFAN_2 - Angry that Olivander's Shop didn't make it to the album 8O

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone  

I have to say that this score rivals if not out does Hook in terms of quality. The themes are outstanding and are well written and some great action music to go with it. This will be a classic for sure.  

Hell yes!

Ray Barnsbury

Tim Burton - Corpse Bride

I didn't know Tim composed. 8O

That's a very good score. I like the Main Titles, the two piano tracks, and the songs, especially According to Plan and The Wedding Song.

~Sturgis

Patrick Doyle - A Little Princess

A wonderful score, methinks (as I've said many times).

Listened to Goldsmith's Fierce Creatures. This was one of the few Goldsmith scores I listened to totally unheralded, having heard nothing about it, and it's become one of my favorite Jerry scores. There's nothing quite like Jerry's comedy scores, he is so brilliant at it. His scores for Dante and Schepisi (and earlier stuff like S*P*Y*S) have such a spot on, inspired, crazyness to them. A lot of people thought that the Yosemete Sam material in Looney Tunes was the best part of that score, but for me, it's tracks like 'Thin Air' that sound Goldsmithian like no other. And I think the only time Goldsmith uses electronics to their fullest potential is in the comedy scores. In a lot of his other scores, IMO he often overuses them, or misuses them, but in his comedy scores, I adore most of the electronics.

Anyhoo, I really love this score.

I've been walking to and from work listening to Raiders of the Lost Ark and Poltergeist.

Neil

POLTERGEIST is constantly played on my MD alongside John Adams, Michael Torke, Howard Hanson, Joby Talbot, David Sawer and Mozart.

Who's David Sawer?

Marian - who doesn't know.

Talented young (1961) British non-film composer. Check out his composition BYRNAN WOOD (1992) Commissoned by the BBC and first performed at the 1992 BBC Proms. CD music is performed by the BBC Symphony Orchestra under Sir Andrew Davis. NMC Label Catalogue number NMC D028S.

Have you checked out Joby Talbot's new non-film music cd "ONCE AROUND THE SUN". Commissoned by Classic FM radion station in England, it chronicles young Brit composer Talbot's musical journey through one year. I defy anyone not to enjoy this cd. The months of February and March are my favourite tracks on the cd. Sony Music/BMG 82876 695252

Hitch

Now if only I could convert Steef to the music of John Adams, my mission on this earth will be complete.

Hitch

The only Talbot i know is H2G2. Likewise, the only Torke i know is Javelin. But at least know I know... I'll keep an ear open.

Marian - :)

Can I plug a website here? Thanks.

Joby Talbot www.jobytalbot.com

Hitch, championing Joby at the moment. This guy is big already. In the pop and TV circles. We shall watch his career with great interest. Check him out also on the Hitch-Hiker's documentary on the Region 2 DVD.

He doesn't dislike The Matrix and A.I.... does that count?

Marian - :)

There is only one John Adams. Long may he reign. Anyone in the San Francisco area? His new opera DOCTOR ATOMIC is premiering there this week.

Hitch, who has John Adams' autograph. :)

Joby Talbot  www.jobytalbot.com

Joby Talbot

This is the future website of Joby Talbot. The site will be launching in Summer 2004.

Monday, October 3, 2005

02:28 AM BST

Marian - :thumbup:

Marion,

Check out the links on that page and they will direct you to Joby's publishers and also includes a list of his works to date.

Hitch