OT, Favorite Movie deathscenes.

JoeinAR

Ok, Ok, I know its a morbid topic. But it's valid in the spirit intended.

Sure Ren may not participate, its definately a guy thing.

So what are some of your favorite movie deathscenes. These do not need to just pertain to people. Monsters, Aliens, zombies all count as well.

Often times these scenes are the big payoffs in the films. These scenes can come from great films, good films, bad films, or even films Morn likes. :)

Here are a few of mine.

1. to me the greatest deathscene in movie history is from Jaws. When Brody says Smile you sonofabitch, and he causes the shark to explode, the audience back in 1975 absolutely went wild. A single eruption of sheer unmitigated excitement went throught the crowd. It was awesome.

2. Janet Leigh's character in Psycho. While this is not a crowd pleasing moment, it is a moment of sheer utter shock. 1960 is a time few on this board can conceive. Movie audiences were naive. They had not been subject to the stimuli that we have. They were ripe for what Hitchcock so beautifully photographed. To this day people swear they saw the knife plunge into her body. But they didn't. They swear there was so much blood, but there wasn't. Only some black ink at the end going down the drain. Rarely had a main character been so quickly offed in a film, and never so violently. Hitchcock implied far more than he showed. :sigh:

3. Carrie's mom. At the end of Carrie Depalma wanted something different from the book where Carrie makes her mom's heart slowly stop beating. They came up with the viserally gross, and once again crowd pleasing death as she is repeatedly stabbed, and impaled by kitchen knives and utensils. It is an exciting, orgasmic experience on film. Don't believe the "O" word. Just watch that sequence again and you will understand.

Other great death scenes in no particular order.

Kevin Bacon's death in Friday the 13th(the original). He is laying in bed when a hand comes up from underneath and grabs his forhead. Suddenly an arrow pushes through his troat in an up and down motion. It was the singular most shocking moment in that film.

Angie Dickenson's death in Dressed to Kill was much like Psycho's famous scene, except it lacked the elegance. It was far more brutal as well. We see the razor as it slashes her hand, we see it as it slashes her throat. This was for a different audience than Hitchcocks. They could take it. Unfortunately Angie's character couldn't. It still works as a great shocking death scene. She was afterall the main character, or was she.

King Kong, 1933. This near perfect film has a sad ending. You really don't want Kong to die. He is a monster out of time, but not a real monster. He is misunderstood. At the top of the Empire State Building he fights the biplanes. You are excited when he actually causes one to crash.

You are saddened when he falls. If I had a time machine and could go back and watch just one old movie with an audience on opening night, this would be the one.

One last, President Ronald Reagan's most famous movie moment, in Knute Rockne All American. The win won for the Gipper scene is corney, its probably not real, but it is sure full of movie magic. If your a softy, this one will get you. This is the stuff legends are made of.

So can anyone add to this. Or does anyone even want to?

Joe.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two recent ones come to my mind. Boromir's death from FOTR - never cared that much for him in the books, but the movie brings tears to my eyes everytime. And Michael Caine's death scene in Cider House Rules impressed me - I've never a real person die so far (luckily), but this looks much more realistic than your typical movie death.

:sigh: Bound (Don Davis)

well, i'll try to participate. :oops: I love scary movies but I don't like blood and gore movies. I can't even give blood without getting light-headed.

Let's see, the Carrie movie like JoeinAr said, that was a good one.

hmmmmm

hmmmmm

you know, i really can't just think of bloody/gore death scenes off the top of my head. :wow: they aren't something that sticks in my mind. I always try to think happy thoughts when i see something...then again, i always shut my eyes and ears when I see something coming up. :sigh:

I'm a sucker for the hero or heroine dying in their lover's arms. you know, the mushy stuff. But not the scenes in the chick flicks, the ones that you don't expect in the blow-em-up-shoot-em-up movies.

i like the impaling scene in dead again.

if you "GUYS" jog my memory I'll chime in again.

What about Al Pacino in Carlito's Way? Heh, and how could I have forgotten the Chestburster scene from Alien.

Oh, and the finale from Se7en.

:devil: Monsters, Inc. (Randy Newman)

There is a great and poetic death scene in ROAD TO PERDITION but I don't want to say who in case some of you haven't seen it yet. Those who have will know who I mean.

I love all of the payback scenes in SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION. The warden putting a bullet through his head was very satisfying.

A.I. Jude Law's final line "I am...I was". You know he's dead when they scoop him up.

For just great endings ( no death involved) here are a few:

The EDGE- final close-up shot on Anthony Hopkin's character saying "they died....saving my life".

Accidental Tourist- William Hurt in the back of the cab FINALLY smiling at Geena Davis with John Williams' score reaching a beautiful crescendo.

SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION- Morgan Freeman walking on the white sandy beach of Mexico as the camera pulls back.

hmmm. There are more although I find that even the strongest movies sometimes don't end that well. It's a hard thing to wrap up a great package.

Wade's Death from Saving Private Ryan was amazing, as was Caparzo's death and even Captain John Miller's death. All very memorable, very impacting and very emotional, yet all three are completely different.

Bizarre as this sounds, Mufasa's death in the Lion King is very impacting and well done.

Dunno I can prolly come up with more but not off the top of my head...

The Godfather. Restaurant Scene. maybe not poetic for who it was that was being killed (the two cops), but it sure was for Michael.

The death scene of Bonnie and Clyde is phenomenal. It was more graphic at that time than anything ever seen on screen at that time. Maybe some of you have actually seen it. It is an older film. Kiss' Gene Simmons had a very crowd pleasing death scene in Runaway with Tom Selleck.

The death of John Merrick in the Elephant Man. It's so poetic. And the music makes the scene even more powerful (adario for strings).

Ren, I think you and I have one that we can both agree on.

Professor Quirrel's/Voldemort death scene at the end of Harry Potter is a bloody brilliant scene. It seems inspired from the original 1930's Mummy movie. Its almost to graphic and intense for younger children.

I love it when Quirrel screams "What kind of magic is this?"

Joe, who finds Harry more wonderful than most.

Can I just say that this is an awesome (albeit morbid) topic? Nearly every movie has a death scene of some description and so it is a necessary matter for discussion. I'm a little unsure of how to interpret the word 'favourite' because there are so many different types of death scenes that evoke so many different types of emotional (and even physical) responses in the audience. Some are tragic and sad, some are disturbing while others are shocking, disgusting, over-the-top, eagerly anticipated, awe-inspiring or downright enjoyable. Here then are some of my 'favourites' worthy of mention.

- Gandalf's 'death' in The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings. It was not so much the manner of his passing, but the sheer devastation elicited by the response of his companions afterwards.

- unknown soldier in The Thin Red Line. I'm referring to the US soldier who dies a slow, very loud and agonising death on the front line whom Sean Penn's character tries to comfort with morphine. One of the most traumatising things I have ever witnessed.

- Bridget Fonda's character in Jackie Brown. This is an example of pure cinematic manipulation and genious: the audience is so annoyed at her routine they just wish someone would blow her away, but when De Niro actually does it's a horrific shock, and worse still, you're left feeling strangely guilty and implicated yet simultaneously satisfied.

- Kurtz's death in Apocalypse Now. Unremarkable in itself but the juxtaposed real-life sacrificial slaughter of that cow is disgustingly disturbing to say the least.

- all those Africans plunging to their deaths in the ocean in Amistad, each one chained to the other as they are pushed from the ship. Very disturbing.

- the hotel manager in Touch of Evil at the pudgy, sweaty hands of Orson Welles. A truly virtuoso piece of film making.

- Artax's death in The Never Ending Story. Sure he's only a horse, but I used to have to try really hard to prove my 'manliness' by not crying when I watched this as a kid.

- one of the worst in recent times: Shmi Skywalker's passing in Attack of the Clones. It could have been really affecting and saddening, so that the audience could truly empathise with Anakin's devastation, but those stilted last words and awkward croak just ruin it. John Williams score however, is exquisite (as usual).

Special mentions (SPOILERS): Simone Signoret's death of fright in Les Diaboliques; almost the entire cast of Mission: Impossible within the first 20 minutes (Brain De Palma must just have a knack); anything in Hitchcock's Frenzy; that maid's horrific demise courtesy of a poisoned dress in Elizabeth; Edward Furlong's shock shooting death in American History X; the hanging death of the character voiced by Brian Blessed in Tarzan (pretty hardcore for Disney); and the thrown chainsaw scene in American Psycho .

Okay so I appear to have gone a bit overboard here, but it really got me thinking. As a supplementary topic, just to bring it back to base, what do you all think is the best piece of 'death scene' music John Williams has written? Personally, off the top of my head, I think it's got to be Darth Vader's death in Return of the Jedi (which is also a fave).

CYPHER (who is ordinarily not this morbid - hopefully)

TOP CHOICE : The ending of the movie The Wicker man :jump:

But most younger posters wont know that wonderful film.

So i would suggest (just to fill in) : :)

Willards execution of Kurtz in Apocalypse Now :wow:

Mesalla's roll under the chariot in Ben Hur's chariot race. :devil:

Lawrences fatal motorcycle crash in the english countryside Lawrence of Arabia :cry:

Moxica jumps to his death off the cliff onto rocks (1492-Conquest of paradise) :?

Steven Seagal's nasty sword eding against Screwface's twin brother (Marked for death) LOL

The faceless truck driver shoots off the cliff eventually (Duel)

Mcleod defeats Kurgan in the warehouse (Highlander) :devil:

Oh, i could go on. But i'm tired...maybe later.

The shocking death's in the finale of all the indy movies :devil: Excluding Indy 2, but it had plenty of other deaths. Made a big impact on me as a kid.

Hey JoeinAr,

I agree about the HP death scene. It is a little graphic for kids but then again, they watch more than I did at their age. I had a kid tell me they saw "independence day" last year. I was flabbergasted.

I also think the face coming out of the book in the library is a little disturbing.

Yes, yes, The Wicker Man! I also love the scene where Britt Ekland dances nude as Edward Woodward gets the night sweats in the next room. No wonder Peter Sellers (Ekland's husband) died of a heart attack!

Parenthetically, CHRISTOPHER LEE RULES!!!!!!!!!!

My list of memorable deaths (off the top of my flat head):

Edward G. Robinson, in Little Caesar. "Is this the end of Rico?"

James Cagney, in White Heat. "Made it, Ma! Top of the World!"

The expiration of Charles Foster Kane.

The Battle on the Ice, in Alexander Nevsky.

Toshiro Mifune, in Throne of Blood.

The samurai showdown at the end of Sanjuro.

Richard III. Gielgud gets dumped in a malmsey butt.

The final "plunge" in Bridge on the River Kwai.

Psycho. Don't forget, the other reason Janet Leigh's death was so shocking is that she was an enormous star back then. She was everywhere in the late '50s/early '60s, arguably the biggest star in the picture!

Life as we know it, in Fail-Safe. In the same breath (but on a lighter note), Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I was thinking of the rig at the end, but, really, take your pick!

The ultimate stair-dive, in The Exorcist.

David Warner, in The Omen. LOL

Oh yes, oh yes, definitely John Cassavetes, in "The Fury." :biglaugh:

Pat Roach in the flying wing propellor.

Al Pacino, in Scarface. 8O

Sudden Impact. "Go Ahead. Make my day." By the same token, Dirty Harry. ("Do you feel lucky?")

Mola Ram. (The head sparking was a nice touch.)

Total Recall. "See you at the party, Richter." Also, the implausible massacre at the end of Commando.

The lawyer in Jurassic Park. An easy target, but it should have been Richard Attenborough.

Saving Private Ryan. The slow entry of the knife is probably the principle reason I am not anxious to see this great movie again. Such hopelessness is rare on film, and it should remain so!

Great topic, Joe! :shakehead:

The shocking death's in the finale of all the indy movies :shakehead: Excluding Indy 2, but it had plenty of other deaths. Made a big impact on me as a kid.

But Indy 2 had that sacrifice scene! When I watched that at the age of 11, it gave me quite some nightmares.

I agree on Mellish's death at the end of SPR, it is so horrible watching the knife coming nearer and nearer, and his gurgle when it enters his heart. :cry2:

Regarding the most emotionally moving death scene for me, I think this is the end of "The Green Mile", when Coffey is led to the electric chair and we know he hasn't done any wrong.

The end of "The Mighty" is also very moving.

-Chris

Favourite death scenes? Whoa boy. There are a lot. But I think my number 1 is still Genarro's death in Jurassic Park. I remember all the talk back in 1993 about "that guy that gets eaten off the loo".

Then there are three death scenes in The Godfather that spring to mind:

1) Appolonia's Death: The only explosion in the movie, yet thankfully not shot in action-style. The betrayal of Fabrizio gives it the extra touch, although I must say that the relation between him and Micheal was not developed well enough in the film by my taste.

2) The Don Dies: When you watch this scene, you cannot believe this man could actually die. When he slumps to the ground, the first thing you think is that he's having a stroke or something, and that he'll end up in the hospital, but then he keeps still and then you realise he has passed. Emotionally shocking.

3) Sonny's Death: Hmm... yes. The shooting at the toll booth. Nice and gory. :shakehead:

From The Godfather Part II:

Fredo's Death: Hearing the shot echoing through the valley sent shivers down my spine, and the thought "O my God, he actually did it" stayed in my mind for a long time.

By the way, all deaths in the Godfather films are nice, because there's allways some weird detail too it.

And then there's this scene, I doubt much of you will know it, let alone actually seen it, from the Belgian picture Koko Flanel.

In the beginning of the film, the father of the main character dies. The atmosphere is sad, but the dialogue and the odd things happening make it a funny scene. I especially like the gag with the candle going out and then back on (you really should see it to know what I'm talking about).

Then there are tons of others, but perhaps I'll discuss those some other time.

The lawyer in Jurassic Park.  An easy target, but it should have been Richard Attenborough.

Hmm. Have you read the book? Everytime I watch the movie, I'm really annoyed how they dumbed down that bit compared to the book. In the novel, the character pisses in his pants out of terror. And it's written in a way that it sounds completely believable. Why did they have to make him run into a toliet in the jungle in the movie??

Marian - REALLY annoyed by that. banghead

I guess you're right Marian. Also, Grant and the kids witnessing the guy getting eaten from the foot of the hill gives it an extra touch. In the film, Genarro was nothing more than the annoying, driven-by-greed lawyer, while Ed Regis in the book (Regis was replaced by Genarro in the film) is a real person, that we know from the beginning, even before we meet Ellie, Grant or Hammond.

Regis dies after the Rex attack, and is not killed by the big Rex, but by an infant. Grant witnesses it from the foot of the hill, while Regis lies screaming on the ground, just out of Grant's view. Suddenly, the screaming stops, and the baby-Rex's head reappears into view with a piece of meat in its mouth.

Ed Regis was a person, while Donald Genarro was no more than a fresh piece of meat.

But then, since the film is just popcorn-pulp (albeit very well done), this is just one of the things you expect from such a film.

BTW, I also like Eddie's Death in The Lost World: Jurassic Park. Seeing a guy get ripped apart by two huge dinosaurs somehow just gave me a very satisfying feeling... jump1

Then of course you have Indiana Jones shooting that guy with the big sword... that's at least the funniest death scene I can think of. :shakehead:

I couldn't let this topic pass without mentioning one of the best, in John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who has not seen the film so I will leave it at this:

"I wanted a vanilla twist."

Other good'uns are:

- that guy's suffocation in the grain silo in Witness

- John Connor's adoptive dad's 'milk carton kebab' in Terminator 2

- Shelley Winters's cardiac in The Poseidon Adventure

- Scorpio's long range effort on the girl in the swimming pool in Dirty Harry, seen through the rifle's scope and backed by Lalo Schifrin's magnificent score.

Has anyone mentioned Chrissie's death at the beginning of Jaws? And to counter this morbid-but-fun topic, it was nice to see that those miners were rescued safe and sound in PA.

Damien :shakehead:

that's at least the funniest death scene I can think of. :shakehead:

Anyone here seen a Danish movie called In China They Eat Dogs? I watched this last week, and it's got the be the most morbidly fun movie I've seen.

Marian - who was really LOL when he watched it.

Well,theve been mentionned before,some not:

Chrissie's death in JaWS

Quint's death in Jaws

Ben's Death in Star Wars

Darth Vader's sacrifice and death in ROTJ.

Father Karras death in The Exorist.

Dallas's deaths death in Alien in the airduct...

Spock's Death in Star Trek 2

K.M.Not thinking oof other good ones right now

K.K.m.Who considers all deaths in the Indy movie or Jurassic Park cartoonish a best.

though many people may disagree, since this film is never taken very serioussly... K.C.'s death in "Scream." in terms of horror films, i think it is easily the most powerful death at least in the 90's. when i first saw that scene, i was scared beyond belief.

How about Melissa Sue Anderson sticking that shish kabob into her boyfriend's mouth in Happy Birthday to Me? That image even became the movie's one-sheet!

John Hurt's(was that him?)death in Alien(in the airduct)

That's Tom Skerritt, and you don't see his death. John Hurt is the one with the chestburster.

Speaking of Alien, don't forget the great Ian Holm. :nod:

One of me favorite death scenes: Paul Rubens' character in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. jump1

And another note on Janet Leigh's death in Psycho. Part of the shock of it (you know, other than the way it was shot and Hermann's music) was the fact that it was the main character of the film (up to then) that was being killed; the audience had no idea where the movie was going to go from there.

Peace.

bruckhorn

John Hurt's(was that him?)death in Alien(in the airduct)

That's Tom Skerritt, and you don't see his death. John Hurt is the one with the chestburster.

:nod:

yes,one of the goriest scenes ever.

K.m.,

Damn, Mark stole my all-time favorite: Darth Vader's death. Mostly hearing James Earl Jones say, "Luke, help me take ... this mask off." Great reading of that line. Then the harp playing the last notes of Vader's theme as Luke sheds a tear. When I saw this film in 1997 in the theater I was crying so hard. Everyone thought I was looney.

A close second would be Tom Hanks in "Philadelphia." His last words were very touching.

Come to think of it, every time Hanks dies onscreen, it's memorable. But "Philadelphia" was the best.

No everything surrounding Darth Vader's death,the final duel ,throwing away the Emperor...to his last line "but you'll die"(Luke)Vader"Nothing can stop that now."Just for once,let me look on you with my own eyes"....Tell your sister you were right about me..you were right"

K.M.Who was electrified the first time he saw that scene where Luke gets the lightening bolts,and Vader doesn't exactly know what to do.

Actually, that scene is pretty weak, up untill that moment Vader did not seen to have any moral issues with trying to kill Luke himself, but when Paply suddenly tries to do it he goes soft?

And i agree with joeinAr that that whole bussiness of taking of the mask and showing Vader's kind and gentle face was very out of place and just about ruined the character.

I love Darth Vader, but i'm talking about the Darth Vader in TESB.

In Star Wars and ROTJ he is little more then a lap dog for Tarkin or the Emperor.

Stefancos- who thinks Vader should have died in a blaze of glory.

I never bought into Vadar's death scene, never will.

It was a cheap gimmick to turn him back to the light.

He was irredeemable.

And the "tell your sister you were right" line is ludicrous, sorry, There is no emotional bond between Leia and Vader other than he tortured her, and had her man tortured. It would be very difficult for her to see him as anyone but the man who hurt her.

Still if it works for you great.

Here is a couple more.

Charlton Heston's character Taylor's death scene in Beneath the Planet of the Apes and Cornelius and Zira's deaths in Escape from the Planet of the Apes.

Tally me into the column of those who think Vader's redemption scene is A-1 lame-o. Completely out of left field. It was satisfying to see Vader toss the Emperor down that reactor shaft and all, but the series should have been better calibrated to reflect some sort of moral ambiguity if Anakin was going to turn out to be some kindly old Wilfred Brimley underneath all that armor. His last words should have been to remind Luke to eat his Quaker oats.

It has to be either when Quint got eaten from "Jaws" or when the president (Jack Nicholson) from "Mars Attacks" got murdered by the really freaky yak yak sound making aliens.

I forgot that one from Mars Attacks, quaver. I just love when the flag comes out Jack Nicholson's body and the Martians all slaute it.

YAK YAK YAK YAK

or is it DAH DAH DAH DAH?

For some disturbing reason, I like Steve Buscemi's death in Fargo. More his disposal, than his death. It's really quite disturbing. The part I find most disturbing is the snow splattered with blood.

When I was younger, there was this scene from Beastmaster where this creature with membrane-wings envelops a person and then sucks all the everything out of him. Then he opens his arms and these bones and liquid splash out. That scared the be-jeezus out of me, and I woke up screaming when I got tangled in my sheets from tossing and turning!

BigJohn