John Williams in New York

JWfangirl1992

He rarely performs any songs at these things. He does, however, perform pieces or concert suites at all of them :D

Tim, who is running out of patience for the program notes to update :D

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we're from Thank you to Thanks to Thanx to Thnx to Thx to TY?

Someone's just being lazy.

- Marc, :D

You missed thks and tq. :D

No i doubt many people are thirteen I am just VERY unique.

Yes the concert in april

AND THAnK YOU ITS GLAD 2 BE HERE!

I'm guessing you would be fourteen this year? Same age as my little bro' (who appreciates film music but isnt much into music of any type). If I may, how did you come by John Williams? :)

Burga - who has known who John Williams was as long as he has known who Spielberg and Lucas were, which was too early in his years to remember. Thus ruining almost every chance he has had of ever warming up to 'normal' music :P

PS: JWFangirl, you are very lucky to be able to attend his concert...JW never comes to my part of the world. :(

Tim, who is running out of patience for the program notes to update  :|

I am to, we will probably find out on the 23rd of April.

I came across William's work only because it had the words Harry Potter on it. I was obsessed with HP back in 01 and when I heard they came out with a soundtrack I bought it off Amazon.com. I fell in love with the music and kept buying the soundtracks and then when I saw the third Star Wars, I became hooked on all his works.

To give you an example of how he may construct his concert, this is the program selection he chose when he came to Philadelphia in 2003. Thankfully, I was there and enjoyed every minute of it! :mrgreen:

I'll also print it here:

Liberty Fanfare

Overture to The Cowboys

Suite from JFK*

------Theme-Motorcade-Arlington

"Adventures on Earth," from E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial*

INTERMISSION

"Flight to Neverland," from Hook*

Selections from Far and Away*

------County Galway, June 1892-The Fighting Donellys-Joseph and Shannon-Blowin' Off Steam (The Flight)-Finale

Suite from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone*

------Hedwig's Theme-Fawkes the Phoenix-Nimbus 2000-Harry's Wondrous World

Theme from Schindler's List

Main title from Star Wars

ENCORE

End Credits from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Mission Theme from NBC News

Generally, the First Violinist will take the place of a soloist like Perlman, so a Cellist in the orchaestra will probably take Ma's place.

Indiana, who was 14 when he joined.

AND THAnK YOU ITS GLAD 2 BE HERE!

I am to, we will probably find out on the 23rd of April.

I came across William's work only because it had the words Harry Potter on it. I was obsessed with HP back in 01 and when I heard they came out with a soundtrack I bought it off Amazon.com. I fell in love with the music and kept buying the soundtracks and then when I saw the third Star Wars, I became hooked on all his works.

See what only a year of posting here instead of Mugglenet did to you?

K.M.

We're definitely one of the older and more "cultured" boards around...which is somewhat horrifying.

Yes, since "cultured" can be dangerously close to "snobby" :|

Its about damn time! I wonder where they are going to be seated...

nevermind...what do they mean my that other guy...is Williams conducting his works as well or will he be conducting his own works?

I assume that Scorsese will host and introduce the Herrman material (because of Taxi Driver) and Spielberg will host the Williams section. I imagine it will be split in two sections and separated by an intermission.

This is a pretty cool program, but honestly I would have preferred an all-Williams concert.

I was hoping for some Geisha music. :?

Tim

When he came to Philly a few years ago, he did an encore that consisted of two additional selections. These were not listed on the program and came as quite a surprise. :thumbup:

Tim

Expect The Mission Theme from NBC to be an encore, preluded by that oh-so-clever introduction Williams is so fond of.

Ray Barnsbury

I wasn't going to go initially, but now I'm changing my mind. Is it safe to assume that Spileberg and Scorsese will be there both nights?

I just envy you guys going to that concert. Great program. I just realised , that I'm

probably never gonna see Mr williams' live performance , living so far.

I decided to go to one Boston concert(2003? horn concerto premiere) but didn't get free

from my job. So sad.

He's gonna do an encore from Geisha and/or Munich (most likely Geisha)...or maybe even Star Wars (which I was hoping to be in the program)

Who can tell, really...

He has such an extensive repertoire that it's anybody's guess as to what he will choose for an encore. I'm 100% certain that he will do one (it's a given with an event like this), and most likely will do two pieces. My guess is that he'll do one score piece, like the Star Wars main march (again, my hope is for Superman :P) and one concert piece like the NBC mission or Olympic theme.

Tim

Of course the encore won't be on the program.

But there's no choir listed. Battle of the Heroes and Anakin's Betrayal are both pieces with choir.

I just misunderstood what you were referring to. I thought you meant you didn't count on an encore. My bad!

Tim

Raiders and E.T. seem to be two of the most popular choices for encores.

Ray Barnsbury

Last Crusade and E.T. are already on the regular program (I can't see him doing Raiders because of LC).

Tim

• 1 month later...

I was trying not to have this concert on my mind too much, because I just know it's going to be awesome, and I hate counting down the days. But now that this thread was bumped, I find myself going crazy!

Tim

Is there any chance of me being able to meet John Williams at the concert, besides from running out of my seat screaming JOHN WILLIAMS ROCKS!!!!! that will be when I meet him and his lawyer at court/

Is there any chance of me being able to meet John Williams at the concert

I am also curious about whether he will be staying for autographs. That would be a dream come true.

Tim

I would love to meet him, though I wouldn't know where to go in order to do so. I remember thinking the same thing at his last concert in NY two years ago.

Ted

Well... nothing. I don't think I'll be able to try to meet him this time, as I will have to catch a train back to Philadelphia.

Ted

Important!

Since I had to cancel my NY trip for job reasons, I have one ticket for both nights available. For the 24th concert it's a Preferred Orchestra seat ($99), while for the 26th it's a 3rd Tier Center seat ($49).

If anyone is interested in buying, please PM or e-mail me.

Maurizio

--

I cant wait...this is my first Williams concert so ignore all my annoying questions if im pissing you off. But my mom keeps askin me if they are going to sell Williams stuff there. I mean I'm not talkin I LOVE JOHNNY!!!! Tee-shirts. I'm talking like Cd's and stuff like that. So do they sell anything like that?

8O Sabrina While doing a pain in my arse Sir Isaac Newton report for science.

Maybe they'll be selling busts of Williams....8O

Just kidding. They might have his four 2005 scores avaible in the shop though, I really don't know.

Tim, who realizes that this doesn't help you in any way, shape, or form.