''Superman Returns'' A Mistake?

robthehand

I was thinking about it recently (just rewatched Superman and Superman II), and I really can't imagine Superman in a modern film - when we have dark films like Batman Begins and blockbusters like Spider-Man, Superman just looks more and more dated. Don't get me wrong - I love the original films, or rather original *film* (the sequels were rubbish for different reasons), but I can't picture audiences accepting it now.

But I'll still go and see it. :)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about it recently (just rewatched Superman and Superman II), and I really can't imagine Superman in a modern film - when we have dark films like Batman Begins and blockbusters like Spider-Man, Superman just looks more and more dated. Don't get me wrong - I love the original films, or rather original *film* (the sequels were rubbish for different reasons), but I can't picture audiences accepting it now.

But I'll still go and see it. :)

I have full trust in Bryan Singer.

I agree with Alex in trusting Singer. Thank goodness they waited to get the right guy to helm the film. I shudder at the thought of some of those rumors that were buzzing when McG was going to direct this. Beyonce as Lois Lane.. Nic Cage as Superman...... oh my, I have to go lie down now.

That in and of itself should make anyone who was leary feel much better.

But I'll still go and see it. :wave:

Why, pray tell? I don't recall you having gret love for his films up to this point.

Morlock- who loves The Usual Suspects and think Singer did a wonderful job on X2, but has serious misgivings about this movie

But Superman will be a big movie "spectacle" aiming for mass appeal! What's the difference between this and King Kong? They are both special effects driven, neither of which you have seen or have even been completed yet. Alex, you're a premature opinionater. :)

Jeff

But Superman will be a big movie "spectacle" aiming for mass appeal!

So was X-Men, and that was a fantastic film. X2 wasn't too bad, either.

I also have full trust in Singer. Though from some ofthe entries in his video blog, he's working overtime, which could hurt the post-production process.

But Superman will be a big movie "spectacle" aiming for mass appeal!  What's the difference between this and King Kong?

Kong is a remake of a movie which I, as far as I remember, thought was really very good.

Marian - :)

But Superman will be a big movie "spectacle" aiming for mass appeal! What's the difference between this and King Kong? They are both special effects driven, neither of which you have seen or have even been completed yet. Alex, you're a premature opinionater. :music:

I really think I said something more along the lines of, "nothing but spectacle", meaning movies that tend to hurry from one special effect scene to another and have not much else going for them. But most importantly, I was talking about movies that, and this is how I perceive them, clearly have been written with a young audience in mind (the way these films communicate, to me it's so clear they addressing an adolescent audience). So far, I think Singer has been treating his audience less virginally, and because of that, I have full trust in him. But I said all this before, so you kinda missed my point.

----------------

Alex Cremers

really think I said something more along the lines of, "nothing but spectacle", meaning movies that tend to hurry from one special effect scene to another and have not much else going for them. But most importantly, I was talking about movies that, and this is how I perceive them, clearly have been written with a young audience in mind (the way these films communicate, to me it's so clear they addressing an adolescent audience). So far, I think Singer has been treating his audience less virginally, and because of that, I have full trust in him. But I said all this before, so you kinda missed my point.

Oh, you've read the script for King Kong already? So, something that is written for an adolescent or childrens audience is automatically bad? They automatically have nothing going for them? You must not think much of the mind of a child, Mr. I-Think-Like-A-Film-Critic. There are some wonderful children's films out there, some that appeal to most primary of senses.

Now about Singer, do you think X-Men and X2 weren't written for an adolescent audience? What did they "have going for them" besides all the special effects and mutants (ie. spectacle)? What does X-Men "have going for it" that King Kong and LOTR don't?

Jeff

Believe it or not, what bothers me most about the new Superman is the costume. Why do we have a three- dimensional "S" now? It just looks lost on that suit. I don't like the colour either.

I trust Singer, and all should go well (if the webdocs are any indication), as long as Ottman doesn't do with JW's themes was Ken Thorne did to them for the previous Super-sequels.

Speaking of Ottman, during the commentary on the X-Men dvd, Singer mentions how he regretted having to go with Michael Kamen for the score to the first film, but had to because Ottman wasn't available. Now, listening to both soundtracks, I have to say that Ottman's X-2 soundtrack didn't exactly knock me over.

Fingers are crossed.

The mythology and the iconography of the Superman world are so powerful, that when well handled can result in pure magic. It's not like this movie is going to be worse than the previous two. What do we have to lose anyway?

It sure worked with Batman this year.

I think if I was more into dialogue dramas I would be in movie heaven. There seem to be lots of those. Actually, I feel pretty well sated by the last 6 years of event movies. Some of them will age well.

Who can say, the writers of this film are the same people who did X2, and that was pretty good (if you can get passed James Marsden's performance). But it also wasn't spectacular. If Superman is going to compete with the original one with Reeves, then they've better pulled out all of the stops.

Tim

Long time lurker, first time poster.

IMHO – with all due respect to Ottman and his ego – the best man for the job is still alive, kicking and quite capable. It's Williams himself, of course. Why not bring back the man who set the tone for not one but five films (including this new version)? The new film's budget could certainly handle it.