The best Williams string pieces

Incanus

oh,i've got it.the best string moment ever.

At exactly 10.52 into Adventures on Earth(E.T.,original OST album recording and not any other one).The rising string motif there.

K.M.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At exactly 10.52 into Adventures on Earth(E.T.,original OST album recording  and not any other one).The rising string motif there.

K.M.

This is my favourite track of all time (together with Battle in the Snow)

However I thought this was about string pieces and not 'string moments' that's why I chose Arlington (which is awesome!)

Otherwise there are tones of awesome moments

At exactly 10.52 into Adventures on Earth(E.T.,original OST album recording  and not any other one).The rising string motif there.

K.M.

I'm not sure what this is, but whatever it might be is easily trumped by the heartbreaking build up of two separate but overlayering string melodies at the 10:45 mark on track 20 of the 20th anniversary edition. I don't have the 8 track OST, unfortunately, so I can't compare them. I'm referring to the same segment of the film in relationship to the track listing, but it's retitled "Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye". Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OST music was all specifically recorded for the CD and are not the featured cuts from the film. We could very well be talking about the same thing, and is probably my favorite Williams moment in the historyof Williams music. It has, on several occasions, brought me to tears (go ahead and laugh :? )

Tim

K.M.

I'm not sure what this is, but whatever it might be is easily trumped by the heartbreaking build up of two separate but overlayering string melodies at the 10:45 mark on track 20 of the 20th anniversary edition.

Tim

Yes this is it,this exact moment on the 20th anniversary.There is a bit of a difference though so let me clarify and speak more of this magic moment.Neither of these performances(original OST or 20th anniversary) are the actual film version.I have the film version isolated from Lazerdisk and there are minor differences later in the cue.BUT the closest to the film version is the original OST performance,and the best performance of this piece ever IMO(it's the one I use on my complete E.T. score)

So about that specific segment.It is played slightly slower and the cello counterpoint is a bit more defined on the original OST,which makes it slightly better IMO.On all re-recordings (Boston Pops etc...)this part is played too fast and you can't hear the cello counterpoint very well.Second difference is that the rising stings lead into a transitionnal segment at 11.09 on the 20th anniversary that I don't like(it's one of E.t.'s themes) before repeating again.On the OST (and in the film too so you can check it out),it's gorgeous string flourishes (without the E.T.'s theme insert)that I like WAY better.

K.M.

Oh, yes! How could I forget that one? It sounds very balletic to me, in a good way. I'm awed by it everytime I hear it. Possibly my favorite part of the "Goodbye" portion.

On all re-recordings (Boston Pops etc...)this part is played too fast and you can't hear the cello counterpoint very well.

Oh boy, I can't stress this enough either. This was a huge gripe with me when the Philadelphia Orch played "Adventures on Earth" in a concert last summer dedicated to film music. After the intermission, all the selections were Williams pieces and when they started to build up to that moment in the performance I kept saying in my head, "slow down, slow down, slow down". It was done quickly and completely took away from the emotional anchor the music is suppose to convey.

I'll try to download the version from the OST so I can juxtapose.

Tim

• 2 months later...

I think "Ray and Rachel" from "War of the Worlds" is worth mentioning. Some wonderfully inventive harmonies. And of course "Epilogue."

• 1 month later...

Prologue and The Face of Pan (otherwise known as You are the Pan) from Hook have some great string work.