Rank the Star Wars Movies

robthehand

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

The Return of the Jedi

The Phantom Menace

Revenge of The Sith

Attack of The Cloes

-Chris, Who finds it odd that in the wesbite devoted to John Williams, a large percentage of it's members attack the biggest feather in John Williams' cap, the completed six passage score to all six Star Wars films....

Agreed. No offense to anyone, but I've sometimes wondered that myself...

I don't see it as a complete six passage score. The scores are too dissimilar and too inconsistant to be one big piece.

And it is arguable whether this is the biggest feather in his cap.

• 12 years later...

Twelve year old bump. 

1. The Empire Strikes Back (5 out of 5)

2. Star Wars (5 out of 5)

3. The Force Awakens (4.5 out of 5)

4. The Last Jedi (4 out of 5)

5. Return of the Jedi (4 out of 5)

6. Solo: A Star Wars Story (3.5 out of 5)

7. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (3 out of 5)

8. Revenge of the Sith (2 out of 5)

9. The Phantom Menace (1.5 out of 5)

10. Attack of the Clones (1 out of 5)

Currently:

Star Wars

Empire

The Last Jedi (just barely)

Force Awakens - Return of the Jedi (tied for different reasons)

Phantom Menace

Rogue One

Solo

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

The Force Awakens

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

The Last Jedi

The Return of the Jedi

Solo: A Star Wars Story

The Revenge of the Sith

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars

Return of the Jedi

The Force Awakens

Rogue One

Revenge of the Sith

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

The Last Jedi

Haven't seen Solo yet.

The Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

The Last Jedi

The Return of the Jedi

The Force Awakens

Revenge of the Sith

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

18 minutes ago, Demodex said:

The Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

The Last Jedi

The Return of the Jedi

The Force Awakens

Revenge of the Sith

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Mine's close, but I haven't seen the new spin offs.

Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars

The Last Jedi

Return of the Jedi 

The Force Awakens

The Phantom Menace

Revenge of the Sith 

Attack of the Clones

1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. Star Wars
  3. Revenge of the Sith
  4. Return of the Jedi
  5. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
  6. The Phantom Menace
  7. Attack of the Clones
  8. Solo: A Star Wars Story

9. The Force Awakens

10. The Last Jedi

Revenge of the Sith

A New Hope

Empire Strikes Back

The Phantom Menace

Rogue One

Solo

Attack of the Clones

The Last Jedi

The Clone Wars

The Force Awakens

Return of the Jedi 

I wouldn't know how to do a rigorous list.

I do think Empire Strikes Back is superior in every single metric to the original Star Wars, especially as far as the director's work is involved: its way better shot and way, way better acted. I watched the sextet for the first time just a couple of years ago, and I wasn't really getting "into it" until I watched Empire Strikes Back. It was great! It juggles two subplots: one, a fast-paced chase; the other - a slow, pensive training montage. And it interweaves them so masterfully that the former doesn't become breathless and overwhelming, and the latter doesn't become boring.

I dislike Attack of the Clones the most. I really don't think anything in that film works. I hear a lot of people really like Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan in it: I don't see it. Because of how Anakin is behaving throughout the film, it brings Obi Wan down, too: the way he chastizes Anakin in public is so awkward, and its soon followed by Obi Wan doing the same thing he was telling Aankin not to do. Also, his investigation subplot leaves all sorts of threads unresolved, only for him to end up reaching the same conclusion that Padme reached in the very beginning of the film, only to be told off by Windu.

Of course, we are all different, but to me all three Prequels are more or less the same. They all carry Lucas' odd signature.

43 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

to me all three Prequels are more or less the same. They all carry Lucas' odd signature.

Are they?

I dislike the terminology "the prequels". I think it was only coined to contrast it with the so-called "original" trilogy. In actuality, neither of these trilogies is a homogenous creation: they couldn't be, given how far apart each installment was, and due to changing directors and writers.

For instance, while Return of the Jedi is part of the "original" trilogy, it is in many ways closer to The Phantom Menace than it is to Empire Strikes Back. Its the instigator of a lot of the characteristics of The Phantom Menace: Ostentatious, "weightless" fight choreography, overwrought third acts with multiple subplots piled over each other, overreliance on special effects, out-of-place comic relief, longer running times, etc...

Updated.

Screen_Shot_2018-05-28_at_1_06.15_PM.png

My opinion could definitely grow over time.  It did for Rogue One, which I like more now than I did after first viewing.  But I can say with confidence I have never had a lower opinion of a new Star Wars movie after first viewing than I have of Solo.

Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back have a lot of great scenes and almost no bad scenes

Return of the Jedi, Force Awakens, and Last Jedi have some great scenes and more good scenes than bad scenes 

Revenge of the Sith has some great scenes and more bad scenes than good scenes

Rogue One and Solo have more good scenes than bad scenes 

Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones have more bad scenes than good scenes 

Scenes

26 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I can't even begin to rank them. Only one thing is certain, TLJ ends up at the very, very bottom.

Have you not seen the prequels then?

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The spin off movies I'm far from sold on them needing to exist.

Have you seen Rogue One or Solo?

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

But I can say with confidence I have never had a lower opinion of a new Star Wars movie after first viewing than I have of Solo.

I agree! It was the first time I went out of the cinema feeling bored. Not even AotC had had that effect on me on my first viewing (to be fair, I was much younger then).

My list is:

1) Empire Strikes Back

2) Star Wars

3) The Last Jedi 

4) Rogue One

5) The Force Awakens

6) Return of the Jedi 

7) Revenge of the Sith

8) The Phantom Menace

9) Attack of the Clones

10) Solo

When it comes to these people who prefer the prequels over the new films, what I find odd is that, by any metric, The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were/are viewed by the consensus as much worse films and way worse for the legacy of Star Wars by a large margin than anything these new Disney films have done. So I find it odd people will act like Star Wars had a pristine reputation that a few of these new films having mixed (at worse) reception somehow tarnishes.  

I guess a lot of the people who hate these new movies were kids when the prequel trilogy came out, so they have some serious rose-colored glasses for it and expect a completely different sort of Star Wars than what they got from Kennedy and co.

3 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Have you seen Rogue One or Solo?

Yes?

1 minute ago, Score said:

Not even AotC had had that effect on me on my first viewing (to be fair, I was much younger then).

AOTC had a saggy middle, but a very rousing finale.  It was so cool as all plot threads clicked into place and you realized that this was the beginning of the Empire and that Palpatine was playing both sides.

I was a kid when I saw both previous trilogies and the Ewok movies. My advanced age may indeed play a factor in how I view these new movies, but I honestly think they're bland and pointless regardless.

1. The one with the asteroid slug
  2. The one with the Death Star
  3. The one with the second Death Star
  4. The one with Han dying
  5. The one with the sperm opera
  6. The one with the blind samurai guy
  7. The one with Leia flying
  8. The one with the Kitster
  9. The one best forgotten

To be determined: The one I haven't seen yet.

8 minutes ago, John said:

What I find odd is that, by any metric, The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were/are viewed by the consensus as much worse films and way worse for the legacy of Star Wars by a large margin than anything these new Disney films have done. So I find it odd people will act like Star Wars had a pristine reputation that a few of these new films having mixed (at worse) reception somehow tarnishes.  

I guess a lot of the people who hate these new movies were kids when the prequel trilogy came out, so they have some serious rose-colored glasses for it and expect a completely different sort of Star Wars than what they got from Kennedy and co.

I think the other thing about TFA and TLJ, especially, is they are directly messing with Luke, Han, and Leia. The prequels may have spoiled Darth Vader for some but Anakin was really a different character and also visually the whole style was completely different that it was easier to separate the two for people who didn't like the prequels. Whereas the sequels are tying themselves much closer to the OT in every way.

Haven't seen Solo yet.

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. Star Wars

3. The Force Awakens

Please mind the gap.

From middling to trash:

4. The Last Jedi

5. Return of the Jedi

6. Revenge of the Sith

7. Rogue One

8. The Phantom Menace

9. Attack of the Clones

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

AOTC had a saggy middle, but a very rousing finale.  It was so cool as all plot threads clicked into place and you realized that this was the beginning of the Empire and that Palpatine was playing both sides.

Yes, this is probably why I also placed it above Solo (not to mention that it gave JW the occasion to write one of the saga's best cues). Also, the general atmosphere on Geonosis is not bad, as well as some scenes here and there. However, the whole battle in the Arena (with 3PO) is something I cannot forgive.