Rank the Star Wars Movies

robthehand

I looked around, but couldn't find a thread for this (the topic seems to come up quite a bit in other discussions :)).

For me:

1. Star Wars

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. The Phantom Menace :oops:

4. Return of the Jedi

5. Revenge of the Sith

6. Attack of the Clones

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Episode IV: A New Hope

Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Episode I: The Phantom Menace

The problem with the Star Wars series is that they are arguably the most dissected films in history; certainly in the history of this board. Even the greatest films in history couldn't withstand the critical bombardment these films have had to deal with. Looking through a dark, overly critical lens films like Jaws, Citizen Kane, The Godfather and Schindler's List will prove to be very faulty. This is what has happened to Star Wars and its sequels.

Of course A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back have proved to be somewhat immune for this form of severe criticism. In the end Star Wars films are simply supposed to be fun, exciting, unique, visually stunning and foremost entertaining. Even the worst Star Wars film (The Phantom Menace) does all those things for me. It's not really supposed to be Ingmar Bergman you know.

My ranking:

1. Star Wars Episode III Revenge Of The Sith

2. Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back

3. Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope

4. Star Wars Episode VI Return Of The Jedi

5. Star Wars Episode II Attack Of The Clones

6. Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace

Of course A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back have proved to be somewhat immune for this form of severe criticism.  

As did Jaws, Citizen Kane, The Godfather and Schindler's List. Really great films can do that. And that's the Achilles' heel of your hypothesis.

----------------

Alex Cremers

As did Jaws, Citizen Kane, The Godfather and Schindler's List. Really great films can do that. And that's the Achilles' heel of your hypothesis.

Well these films have had time to establish themselves as immune. Nobody would ever think about criticising Citizen Kane and expecting to be taken serious. But at the time it was released Kane did NOT stood above criticism.

Schindler's is the 'freshest' of the bunch: it also was not immune to criticism back in 1993. Neither is it today. If you really want you can see everything that's wrong with Schindler's List and even regard it as a heavily flawed film.

I'm not suggesting that Attack of the Clones needs time in order for it to become immune. It probably never will. But I'm sure that in 10 to 20 years from now people will see Star Wars more in perspective: as one big movie consisting of 6 separate chapters. And from that perspective Star Wars series will be regarded as a unique, once-in-a-lifetime event and a classic.

1 Empire Strikes Back

2 Revenge of the Sith

3.Star Wars

4.Return of the Jedi

5.Phamtom Menace

6.Attack of the Clones

...and the music in all of them:10+(also the prequels)

I agree with you about the music though I admit Prequels have little flaws.

1 Empire Strikes Back

2 Revenge of the Sith

3.Star Wars

4.Return of the Jedi

5.Phamtom Menace

6.Attack of the Clones

...and the music in all of them:10+(also the prequels)

I agree with you about the music though I admit Prequels have little flaws.

The movies or the scores?

Nobody would ever think about criticising Citizen Kane and expecting to be taken serious.

No one was in the room when Kane died, so who heard him say, "Rosebud"?

Neil

Nobody would ever think about criticising Citizen Kane and expecting to be taken serious.

Neil

Incorrectly regarded as goofs: It has been claimed that Kane's last words could not have been known as he was alone in the room. This is incorrect; the majordomo says that he was in the room, heard Kane say "Rosebud", and that when the paperweight slipped from Kane's hand he knew he was dead.

?

Kane dies?Geez,can't you put spoiler warnings?

K.M.Who had planned to watch this film eventually.

:)

Spoiler Warning for King Mark: Anakin becomes - believe it or not - Darth Vader!!!!

Obviously the cameraman did....

Along with myself and the rest of the crew. :spiny:

CITIZEN KANE. Like Orson, overblown, overmercuried, overproduced, overacted, overdirected, overstuffed, leg before wicket and out. At least the score suffered with some dignity.

Hitch :spiny: original session recording of CK.

Why did General Dodonna say "may the Force be with you" if it was something from a practically extinct relegion?

Why do people still use wedding rings if they originate from an ancient and extinct culture?

Same thing. It has become part of culture without even knowing what it exactly means.

When Dodonna was saying "May The Force Be With You", the phrase symbolized the Republic that once was and the ideals that it stood for. When people wear wedding rings nowadays that too symbolizes a union even though they don't know what the rings really stood for.

When it comes to Star Wars; there is always an answer :spiny:

Except for the green man walking in the corridors of the Millennium Falcon in ANH... Was that Yoda?

In the next DVD release, i'm sure it will be.

And all the actors have been replaced by CGI characters :spiny: