Rank the Star Wars Movies

robthehand

2011 DVD edition of Star Wars A New Hope, Directors commentary:

George Lucas- "Of course i've always intended to replace Alec with whatever actor I would be using for the prequels, I just had to wait for the technology to became availeble, and there were problems with the screen actors guild at the time."

Rick McCallum- "That was really a brilliant idea George, a great way to tie everything together."

Stefancos- (watching this DVD) :spiny:

Except for the green man walking in the corridors of the Millennium Falcon in ANH... Was that Yoda?

Huh?

btw, did anyone else see that muppet in Jabba's palace that looks suspiciously like the papier-mâche (sp?) stand-in of Gandalf's face in the Bag End test footage?

- Marc

Except for the green man walking in the corridors of the Millennium Falcon in ANH... Was that Yoda?

Huh?

btw, did anyone else see that muppet in Jabba's palace that looks suspiciously like the papier-mâche (sp?) stand-in of Gandalf's face in the Bag End test footage?

- Marc

LOL LOL

Okay, so my memory of that stand-in was a little hazy. I just thought that muppet looked like crap and was reminded of that odd stand-in. I thought that muppet looked like a poor carnival mask, or something you'd find on the front end of a cart from Ter Land, Ter Zee en in de Lucht (Dutchies will know what I mean).

The Gandalf puppet almost looks real compared to that thing.

Well, not so much, but anyway.

gandalfschmandalf.jpg

"Gandalf"

jediwtf.jpg

wtf?

Now show me that green dude on the Falcon.

- Marc

Yup. There is a fleeting recemblance :) Without you I would have never spotted that thing in ROTJ. Thanks!

It is deeply disturbing to me that you would actually know this characters name.

Years before I saw the OT, I owned an SW figure, somekind of robot.

I was rather shocked to discover that it features only in ROTJ, in the background of the Droid torture scene.

Didn't sell it though, used it for my pyrotechnics experiment, like all my SW toys.

That vintage AT-AT Walker blew up nicely.

It is deeply disturbing to me that you would actually know this characters name.

Years before I saw the OT, I owned an SW figure, somekind of robot.

I was rather shocked to discover that it features only in ROTJ, in the background of the Droid torture scene.

Didn't sell it though, used it for my pyrotechnics experiment, like all my SW toys.

That vintage AT-AT Walker blew up nicely.

You blew up a AT-AT :) Oh the horror, the horror!

Uuuhhh...to the right... (from our perspective)

Haven't you ever watched JFK?

We all should know that movie by heart. And that was funny Stefan :)

You can be content atleast one person understood that joke. ;)

That's actually Alec Guinness disappearing down the hall just before they jump into Hyperspace.

Alec is strapped to his seat at this point...

What was the joke? I'll watch JFK again...

Well it really is not a joke in the movie. That is the phrase Garrison repeats as he shows the Zapruder film and repeats the section where JFK is shot and his head goes "back and to the left".

I kind of drained the joke out of it didn't I ? :oops:

Well it really is not a joke in the movie. That is the phrase Garrison repeats as he shows the Zapruder film and repeats the section where JFK is shot and his head goes "back and to the left".

I kind of drained the joke out of it didn't I ?

Nah, you kind of saved me from watching it again. Though I like the movie.

That's actually Alec Guinness disappearing down the hall just before they jump into Hyperspace.

Alec is strapped to his seat at this point...

Yes, it's a slight continuity error. They used a close-up of Han from later in the scene.

Yes, it's a slight continuity error. They used a close-up of Han from later in the scene.

Just look at the green man: is that Guinness?? It doesn't look like him. It looks more like Ewan McGregor or something.

Wait a minute...

O M G It's the first enhancement for the 2007 Ultra Special Edition!!!!!

Just look at the green man: is that Guinness?? It doesn't look like him. It looks more like Ewan McGregor or something.

Wait a minute...

O M G It's the first enhancement for the 2007 Ultra Special Edition!!!!!

Oh my god! You are right Roald! That really blows my mind. A green man. behind Solo's back. That is the magic of CGI.

First frame ghost appearance:

ghost.jpg

Final frame shot of Luke and Ben leaving:

ghostexplain.jpg

It might be another take (Han's head is in a different place, that I don't think could be bridged between these two frames).

But look at Luke as he walks away. You will see his white shirt colors green as he walks past the lights in the Falcon's walls. The same would happen to Ben's as he walks past the lights.

Play it and you'll see it.

- Marc

ESB/ANH (cant seem to decide definitely. they seem to swap places for me every once in a while)

ROTS (above ROTJ for its lack of ewoks)

ROTJ (I once actually liked the ewoks when i was 5 yrs old)

AOTC/TPM (used to be AOTC above TPM but now not so sure)

• 1 month later...

Can someone explain what is wrong with the Ewoks? To me they've always been a memorable part of the Star Wars universe. Yes. That's right. Cute little scruffy creatures live inside the universe.

The purpose of the Ewoks surely is to contrast friendliness and warmth and comedy with the implacable figurehead of pure evil. That was why every 2 minutes Lucas went back and forth between Endor and the Death Star. It's contrast. Juxtaposition.

It also gave Williams the chance to do three brilliant things: write awesome "cutesy" Prokofievan music for the Ewoks (I can barely understand disliking the Ewoks, but disliking the music is very very strange for Williams fans) and awesome eery dark music for The Emperor and his face-off with Luke (and Vader). Would these moments be so bone-chilling, so sickening, without Williams' tragic twisted music? Of course not, but what made them even more so, was the switching between it and the Ewok music.

That's why I love ROTJ more than any of the prequels. And for me, ROTJ is to TESB as Home Alone 2 Deluxe is to Home Alone.

The Ewoks are incompetent. If we're to believe that "friendliness and warmth and comedy" can defeat evil, then friendliness and warmth and comedy need to pack a punch. It's not possible to believe this as Wicket knocks himself out with his own slingshot, however.

The contrast just distracts from the darkness of the Emperor/Vader scene, showing that despite these enormous manifestations of evil (well, maybe not in Vader's case, since he mellowed out after ESB), there are still cut, little teddy bears screwing around toward victory. Maybe the Ewoks should have landed a strike team on the Death Star. They'd have done a better job than Luke, apparently.

I like "Parade of the Ewoks," though I'd rather Williams hadn't been in the situation to write it. The alternative version of "Leia Breaks the News," containing the parade, would have made it a more well-rounded theme, but unfortunately, it's not to be heard from again outside of the credits after the Battle of Endor.

after viewing the DVD of ROTS, I must reiterate that it is mediocre at best, the first hour is horrible, as bad as AOTC, and its only somewhat redeemed by the last hour, which also has its share of problems

Can someone explain what is wrong with the Ewoks? To me they've always been a memorable part of the Star Wars universe. Yes. That's right. Cute little scruffy creatures live inside the universe.

The purpose of the Ewoks surely is to contrast friendliness and warmth and comedy with the implacable figurehead of pure evil. That was why every 2 minutes Lucas went back and forth between Endor and the Death Star. It's contrast. Juxtaposition.

you forget that stones and puny toy bows and arrows seem to be able to take down stormtroopers in full body armor. :mrgreen:

The one with Jar Jar ;)

There's three movies with Jar Jar, and another one with a whole bunch of Gungans.

Once again, only Star Wars and ESB come out the better.

I often find myself agreeing with Roald on the Star Wars movies. They are overly dissected and nothing could hold up to such criticism. In fact, since Phantom Menace, I've been watching the prequels thinking, "Oh, the critics are going to HATE that bit of dialog" and "Most people who aren't Star Wars fans won't get that and won't appreciate it's importance." so on and so forth. Also, when part of the score gets a little butchered, that's when I get pissed, but most critics don't pick that kind of thing up. But other than a few lines of dialog, Sith held up pretty well, IMO.

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. Revenge of the Sith (TIE)

2. Return of the Jedi (TIE)

4. Phantom Menace

5. A New Hope

6. Attack of the Clones

Clones is the only SW movie that I don't think is a great movie. I think all the critical bashing that it received, it was deserved. It had terrible pacing, the corniest dialog, the music was butchered more than any Williams movie that I've ever seen, and the love story should have delivered but it fell terribly flat. It was kind of a wasted movie, as they should have showed more of the actual Clone Wars and less of the behind the scenes reasons why they started. On that regard, the Clone Wars cartoon got more of the fun.

I don't know why ANH is so immune to critique. In comparison to all but Clones and TPM, it's paced badly. Not to mention that everybody keeps saying it's the only movie that stands on it's own and doesn't lean on the others? What? Vader spins off into space. Unless that part wasn't on the original theatrical release and traitorously placed into latter editions, then that's a cliffhanger/unfinished business/opening to a sequel right there. Sure, it's THE original. THE classic. But it isn't THE perfect film. Not even compared to it's predecessors and successors.

I thought Sith COULD have been the best. The reason why it fell short was an inability to show the whole reason why Anakin turned and a few lines of terrible dialog that ruined the power of the moment. For example, when Obi-Wan says, "Only Sith deal in absolutes." It's a crock of $#it. The Jedi order live to an absolute... the Jedi code! They fight in a war because they believe that they are fighting for freedom and peace in the galaxy. They will kill a Sith on the spot because they believe that Sith are the epitome of absolute evil and cannot be redeemed. Those sound like absolutes to me. Also, Anakin's like of "From my point of view the Jedi are evil!" is terrible, because when someone is so swept up in their own point of view and clearly turns to murder and betrayal... they aren't thinking of other points of view, only obstinately their own. But if you changes those two lines and better show the inner conflict between Jedi code and Anakin's wants/desires, the movie probably would have passed Jedi for me, instead of being tied with it in my book.

-Chris, Who finds it odd that in the wesbite devoted to John Williams, a large percentage of it's members attack the biggest feather in John Williams' cap, the completed six passage score to all six Star Wars films....

The one with Jar Jar ;)

There's three movies with Jar Jar, and another one with a whole bunch of Gungans.

actually, there are two movies with a whole bunch of gungans (counting DVD releases)

The one with Jar Jar :cool:

Once again, only Star Wars and ESB come out the better.

Didn't really mind the Gungans (other than the leader and his really silly shake of the head at the end of every sentence)

What I did mind was all the:

Mui, Mui, missa Jar Jar Bings, missa stick a Thermal Detonator in my head you say? :mrgreen:

The one with Jar Jar :mrgreen:

actually, there are two movies with a whole bunch of gungans (counting DVD releases)

That's what I said.

-Chris, Who finds it odd that in the wesbite devoted to John Williams, a large percentage of it's members attack the biggest feather in John Williams' cap, the completed six passage score to all six Star Wars films....

Agreed. No offense to anyone, but I've sometimes wondered that myself...

I don't think the scores are really being attacked here. In fact, a lot of the resentment towards the prequels comes from the butchering of Williams' work. :mrgreen: