Raiders 'Desert chase' Vs Jurassic's 'T-Rex Rescue & Fin

Quintus

Which is the superior work of these two amazing action cues?  

58 members have voted

1. 1.

• Raiders 'Desert chase'
    • Jurassic Park's 'T-Rex Rescue & Finale'

Hi, I'm new here and I'd like to introduce myself with this poll. I've been a Williams fan since about 1993 when I saw Jurassic Park. This film really got me into JW and I was amazed when I found out this great man was responsible for pretty much all my favourite film tunes as a child in the 80's. I'd always liked the Star Wars themes and Superman music (to name two) when I was young but it was after JP when I was 16 that I really stood up and took note of the composers name on the screen. It was the first soundtrack I ever bought! Since then I have collected pretty much all JW's stuff and many other film composers works too. I love this kind of music and I have even got my friends and family into it. The name of John Williams has gained major respect amongst my circle of friends nowadays. I slowly forced my influence on them!

Anyway, from the two choices on offer, which do you prefer? Both being examples of Williams at the top of his blockbuster action music game. Its a tough choice, but I lean towards the simply astonishing excitement of the Jurassic Park cue. It just has a bit of everything which Williams excells in. Tense strings, crashing percussion, soaring fanfares and all flawlessly merged into lots of superb short melodys and rhythms. Of course, the same can be said of the Raiders piece, it too has that vintage Williams touch of thrilling orchestration and rollercoaster like brass'n'drums. But I personally feel that he perfected this art in the climatic action sequences of Jurassic Park. The guy was on fire when he scored the kitchen and giant fossil scaling scenes. Its difficult, but I'm sure you can decide :mrgreen:

Indysolo said:
T-Rex Rescue & Finale is an amazing action cue?  Yikes!

I'm quoting because I didn't understand the nature of your above comment. I'm assuming it was lighthearted sarcasm?  If so, then I don't know why T-Rex Rescue & Finale could be seen as a funny choice.

I'm quoting because I didn't understand the nature of your above comment. Please enlighten me. I'm assuming it was lighthearted sarcasm. If so, then I fail to grasp why T-Rex Rescue & Finale could be seen as 'funny'.

I don't find anything amazing about that score. It's perfectly suited for the movie, but beyond that it does little for me. Whereas a score like Raiders is able to transcend the film.

Neil

I'm quoting because I didn't understand the nature of your above comment. Please enlighten me. I'm assuming it was lighthearted sarcasm. If so, then I fail to grasp why T-Rex Rescue & Finale could be seen as 'funny'.

I don't find anything amazing about that score. It's perfectly suited for the movie, but beyond that it does little for me. Whereas a score like Raiders is able to transcend the film.

Raiders completly blows JP out of the water in just about ever category. However, that doesn't mean that JP doesn't have some truly stellar moments. I find much of T-Rex Rescue to be quite enjoyable in the film and on the album. I particularly love the end moment.

Justin - Who voted for Desert Chase. duuuuuh...

"T-Rex Rescue" is great, but can't compare with "Desert Chase" 's splendid action/adventure-- both the scene and the music; interesting use of the theme in a more rhythmical version, quite propelling, intense suspense; heroic action; definitely a quintessential action/adventure score/cue.

Jurassic Park's theme, however, is one of his very best-- grand, majestic; nice lively variation in "Journey to the Island".

Sidenote: funny what scores led people to film music, and especially the interval/period/eras; there's the SW/Superman/ST:TMP "generation", and a whole Jurassic Park/Lion King one, with a few in-between (Edward Scissorhands? Backdraft? Total Recall?).

Oh, and welcome! :baaa:

obndy0001.gif

I can't vote based on bias. I really love both of them and think they're amazing. But I grew up with the Raiders record, so that taints my view. But the Jurassic Park cue is incredible, so it might just be equal.

Heh, glad to see I'm not the ONLY person who voted for JP. I too grew up with the Indy music (I was born in '77 and my mother still has an audio tape of me humming the Raiders March on an audio cassette somewhere!), but it was only when JP came along in '93 that I actually made a point of finding out who actuallly wrote the truly wonderful music that utterly caught my ear.

But I really can't understand some of the comments made about the JP score tbh. Its a fantastic score and really is vintage Williams, being possibly his best in the last 15 years, apart from SW:Ep1 maybe. The track I used in the poll is easily one of his greatest ever action cues imo, not to mention the earlier piece: "High wire stunts".

Each to their own I guess. Anyway, thanks for the interest and warm welcome guys :sigh:

Desert Chase of course, because it works better outside the movie. I think that the score for both Williams' Jurassic Park works greatly inside the movie, but outside, without images, they're less interesting.

On the contrary, I can listen to almost every Indiana Jones cue outside the movie and enjoy it a lot anyways.

for me it's definitaly JP. Just checked both pieces. But I have to tell that I never ever base my opinion with knowlege to it's corresonding movie (as Neil seems to do). The music develops a life on its own (as Williams says) and I really don't care about how the movie was or in which scene the cue was used.

Don't get me wrong, Desert Chase is a great cue but it's more traditionial sounding as the soo loved wired stuff in JP :sigh:

Hi, I'm new here and I'd like to introduce myself with this poll

obviously, otherwise you'd know without the poll that Desert Chase will win in a massive landslide.

One is a classic, the other is good. Nice to meet you.

• 12 years later...

This thread is unreadable after the first post. And I get shit these days for being disappointed with TLJ? It could've been worse, John. A lot worse. The snarky pretentious attitudes here, people sticking their noses up at JP? They are vicious bastards and I'm glad they're dead.

26 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

This thread is unreadable after the first post. And I get shit these days for being disappointed with TLJ? It could've been worse, John. A lot worse. The snarky pretentious attitudes here, people sticking their noses up at JP? They are vicious bastards and I'm glad they're dead.

Miserable fucks weren't they. 

The Desert Chase is one of JW's all time great action cues. Start to finish, it's an exhilarating ride. The JP cue is exciting and has a grand finish but it's not on the level of The Desert Chase. Some of the action cues from TLW on the other hand could be contenders.

6 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

The Desert Chase is one of JW's all time great action cues. Start to finish, it's an exhilarating ride. The JP cue is exciting and has a grand finish but it's not on the level of The Desert Chase.

I respectfully disagree.

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I respectfully disagree.

And I very respectfully agree with myself. 

As an aside, the tracks from TLW that could potentially rival The Desert Chase as among JW's best action cues would be In The Trailer, On The Glass, and Rescuing Sarah. The kinetic energy of those 3 tracks and the ebb and flow of intensity with the awesome drum backing and the action music style of 90s JW make the whole music sequence quite unique.

16 hours ago, Richard said:

Lee, which version of T-REX RESCUE AND FINALE are you thinking of?

There only exists one version Richard.

In the final film, Spielberg (or Lucas) tracked in a portion of "Journey to The Island" over one part of it, but that's not really a "version" of the cue, just last minute film tracking.  JW only wrote and recorded one version.