Star Wars: Original Trilogy Music Resource

robthehand

Awesome. Thanks man. Do you plan on uploading the stuff from Anthology CD 4 as well?

I didn't upload them. Cerrabore did. He announced it in the Prequel thread, and I remembered this thread.

Oh alright.

I'm confused. From where do I mix this into the Anthology file?

2. MAIN TITLE/APPROACHING THE DEATH STAR/TATOOINE RENDEZVOUS

Anthology Disc 3 Track 2

Mix in: SE Disc 1 Track 2 (5:15-end)

and this:

5. THE BATTLE OF HOTH

SE Disc 1 Track 5 (0:00-4:00)

+ Anthology Disc 4 Track 6 (3:58-end)

at 4:00 (in anthology track), add Anthology Disc 2 Track 6

at 3:37 (in anthology track), add Anthology Disc 2 Track 7

at 4:03 (in anthology track), add Anthology Disc 2 Track 8 (0:00-2:05) [i'm confused about doing this]

+ SE Disc 1 Track 5 (13:47-13:49) [this segment is the Risner remix]

+ Anthology Disc 2 Track 8 (2:05-end)

I'm confused. From where do I mix this into the Anthology file?

2. MAIN TITLE/APPROACHING THE DEATH STAR/TATOOINE RENDEZVOUS  

Anthology Disc 3 Track 2  

Mix in: SE Disc 1 Track 2 (5:15-end)

Just enough so that there's no silence. That particular edit was never used in the film, so it's up to you I guess! ;)

and this:

5. THE BATTLE OF HOTH  

SE Disc 1 Track 5 (0:00-4:00)  

+ Anthology Disc 4 Track 6 (3:58-end)  

at 4:00 (in anthology track), add Anthology Disc 2 Track 6  

at 3:37 (in anthology track), add Anthology Disc 2 Track 7  

at 4:03 (in anthology track), add Anthology Disc 2 Track 8 (0:00-2:05) [i'm confused about doing this]  

+ SE Disc 1 Track 5 (13:47-13:49) [this segment is the Risner remix]  

The first edit isn't a mix, more of an "add". You just cut from one to the other. As for the others, just mix in the next track at the place I have said. You might like to do it in reverse order, in which case you would do:

Anthology Disc 2 Track 8 (0:00-2:05)

+ SE Disc 1 Track 5 (13:47-13:49)

Then load up Anthology Disc 2 Track 7. At 4:03 in that track, paste the track you just edited. Then load up track 6. At 3:37, paste the combo of track 7 + the extended track 8. Etc.

(PM me if you need more help :wave:)

Thanks to Cerrabore, all the anthology files are now up on the FTP.

Which scores would you guys recommend? I know that all edits of ESB I've heard before aren't really listenable, but ANH's tend to be the same, if not better, than the official releases.

What's your opinion on which versions are the better version? I'm going to attempt an ROTJ edit, but probably not the ESB one.

This could be a pretty nice 11-disc set. If only Sony (isn't that who has the rights?) would put out something like this. That's a lot of discs...In fact, there are so many different versions of Star Wars scores out there I'm having trouble deciding what I want to do with them. I figure I'd replace the ANH SE, keep the ESB SE, replace the ROTJ one, and have the expanded Prequel scores in addition to the original releases, since those have some nice arrangements. So many discs...

Actually it would be a 12 disc set for the Star Wars scores.

Well, AOTC and ANH fit on one disc each. I was just judging from the music that we have available right now.

TPM - 2 Discs

AOTC - 1 Disc

ROTS - 2 Discs

ANH - 1 Disc

ESB - 2 Discs

ROTJ - 2 Discs

Bonus and Alternates - 1 Disc

= 11 Discs.

Yes, that's leaving off the alternates and Cantina Music (to be placed on an extra "Bonus" disc). THat's on an edit I toyed with a long time ago. Looking at the cue list for ANH, do all of those have clean endings and beginnings? I know a lot of them do, but do all of them?

I know Shawn Murphy is generally     d around here, but IMO the cues from Empire on the "Musical Journey" DVD sound excellent.

Yeah. It was pretty cool how he actually went in and fixed that edited cymbal crash in "The Imperial March."

Thanks for all the work Rob! I've started on ROTJ, and I'm loving it!

• 3 weeks later...

I was curious. I decided to rip ROTJ channels and for some reason, the back two channels only come up as 2 hours, 2 minutes long, and every other channel keeps comming up as 2 hours, 14 minutes.

What did they do? Cut off the last few minutes from the back channels because they replaced the music or something?

Or is it my computer being stupid (which is possible)?

Another question: Do we know is Battle of Endor III is a different recording than what's in the film. at 19 seconds in, the horns have a boo-boo and a couple times latter, various other instruments mess up... and I keep listening to the channels trying to see if I can hear it and I don't...at all.

Also, has anyone ever tried cleaning up ROTJ, I'm doing it right now, and I mean, it's not half bad. I'm begining to think that one of the channels(mikes) isn't in the mix. There are times when instruments play and hear them in one side but not to their full presence.

Oh well, I just did Luke Confronts Jabb track from the SE, and it's sounding really good now. Just use some fake surround sound, placing a copy of the track in the surround sound and then playing around with it so that it plays the higher registers and it really brings back a lot that was lost. There's not too much noise eaither.

This is actually totally unrelated to the music, but I'm trying to work on my own covers for the prequel scores and I can't seem to figure out what font that is that's used for the track listing on the backs. I don't know who Willy is that made the ones listed earlier in this thread but that's the font I'm looking for. Like the recent OST's used. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I was curious actually. In Empire Strikes Back, film editing, there is a replacement of Darth Vaders theme at about ... 3:50 in Rescue from Cloud City. It was replaced with a far more sedate version of his theme. I've been trying to find it but I can't yet...

It's in there somewhere lol... I'm wondering if it wasn't only changed for the SE. Dunno... eaither way...there's an edit of about 6 seconds. just... fyi

I was curious actually. In Empire Strikes Back, film editing, there is a replacement of Darth Vaders theme at about ... 3:50 in Rescue from Cloud City. It was replaced with a far more sedate version of his theme. I've been trying to find it but I can't yet...

It's in there somewhere lol... I'm wondering if  it wasn't only changed for the SE. Dunno... eaither way...there's an edit of about 6 seconds. just... fyi

It is only in the SE of the film, since they added that extra shot of Vader's landing platform. The extended Imperial March statement is the same that is used for Vader's arrival on the Star Destroyer: it was originally meant to be (and in fact, it is there as well) right after the line "No, Luke. I am your father".

• 3 months later...

Of course, my ROTJ edit is just too long for 2 CDs. Would anybody have a clean ending for the Ewok Celebration, from one of the games perhaps? (And perhaps Victory Celebration too, because the cut seems a bit abrupt.)

15. AT THE COURT OF JABBA THE HUTT [alternate "Han Solo Returns" segments]

SE Disc 1 Track 6 (1:27-2:06)

+ Anthology Disc 3 Track 3 (2:47-end) [i prefer the concert arrangement segment here]

I preferred having the two "At the court of jabba the hutt" segments here separately.

The first: SE Disc 1 Track 6 (1:27-2:06) + SE Disc 1 Track 5 3.26-end

The second: Anthology Disc 3 Track 3 (2:47-end)

17. THE EMPEROR ARRIVES (ALTERNATE)

SE Disc 2 Track 6 (0:00-0:46) [i tried editing the film version together but it didn't work]

I did the film version and it works rather well. From 0-0.20 it's the alternate (first segment) - then mix in the imperial march from the album version, then at 0.39-1.02 the film version again (second segment), then the rest of the album (emperor's theme).

I also put all the alternates and concert suites at the end, in film order - so these could make up a third CD and actually sound as a suite of the film itself - there are enough additional tracks to do this, and it sounds good.

I know Shawn Murphy is generally     d around here, but IMO the cues from Empire on the "Musical Journey" DVD sound excellent.

Yeah. It was pretty cool how he actually went in and fixed that edited cymbal crash in "The Imperial March."

Huh?

Huh?

Dont ask for it, you will hear it for the rest of your life and may be a little dissapointing.

It's still there. He just cranked up the reverb to cover it up.

Neil

Hey guys there's an LP being sold on ebay right now that has the instrumental version of Lapti Nek and the vocal version. It's said to believe the instrumental version is the version we hear in the film for ROTJ.

The link is here

If anyone has an old LP player and has the means to transfer the music as mp3, maybe someone here should try to buy it.

I don't have an LP player and I don't have the means to transfer the music to mp3.

Just thought I'd share this news.

Of course, my ROTJ edit is just too long for 2 CDs. Would anybody have a clean ending for the Ewok Celebration, from one of the games perhaps? (And perhaps Victory Celebration too, because the cut seems a bit abrupt.)

Just for the record, unreleased Original Trilogy music has never showed up in videogames. Ever.

• 3 weeks later...

OK... I've received word that the Anthology music (except for non-SE material) is going to be removed from the FTP. If you want to download it, here's your last chance.

"The film version of “The Imperial March” with distinct cymbal crashes, more prominent french

horns (hard left of stereo image) and marcato-like cellos. 45 seconds of this version are heard

in the film and 21 seconds appear on the Story of The Empire Strikes Back LP"

This was on a Star Wars pdf thing. Where exactly in the movie does this unreleased version of The Imperial march play? And I think my friend has the 'story of empire LP' - where does that play at on there? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

~Andy

Say, how come the SE releases with the SE covers (u know, the movie poster type) are so cheap? They are like...half the price of the normal SE releases here.

The ones with the movie poster covers are jewel cases with the Mattessino analyses as a regular CD booklet, while the more expensive ones are hardcover booklets with slip cases for the CDs in the covers.

I have the ones in a jewel case, with the Mattesino analysis as a CD booklet, but the cover is that of 'embossed' shield in the gold, silver and bronze colors respectively. these cost around USD18 here but the ones with the SE movie poster art go for USD8 :?

I have the ones in a jewel case, with the Mattesino analysis as a CD booklet, but the cover is that of 'embossed' shield in the gold, silver and bronze colors respectively. these cost around USD18 here but the ones with the SE movie poster art go for USD8 :?

Ahh if I could have seen the Poster covers when i was going to buy the Scores....

Luke who never saw them in Spain.

I thought they were rare, i think nobody has all three here...

PS: BTW, the hardcover version sucks. Slipcases are CRAP.

Hmmm, I'm looking for "Track 10 (4:33-end) - Use the Force" with a clean start. On the OST, the SE cd, and the Anthology, you can hear the note in the low strings from the previous cue still holding over when this cue starts. I SWEAR I've heard a clean start somewhere...maybe on a video game. If anyone knows, I'd greatly appreciate it. ;)