Star Wars: Original Trilogy Music Resource

robthehand

Is there a list of the tracks on the Star Wars parts of the anthology where the wrong takes were used?

I'm not aware of one.

I've had a compare between the SE and the anthology, and the only ones I've really worked out are incorrect are The Robot Auction (or at least the end) and Rebel Blockade Runner. There was an issue with the end title, but it seemed maybe more due to an edit than an actual wrong take. I think. I heard there were more, though, I think.

IIRC, i think that it was the main title not end title,

the anthology mixes main title and end titles to make the 'concert' version, and i think one take of either is wrong.

This is true, but the actual end title after throne room has a weird edit, funnily enough right at the moment where it would normally be mixed into the main title for the album version, at about 2:16.

• 2 months later...

That's an interesting video there. If only the mixes in both the anthology and SE albums were as smooth as that (and these days there is no excuse considering the considerable editing equipment and sfotware available)

i just noticed today that victory celebration features in the background some rythms that sound like part of the tribe, ewok feast...

so Williams did not go all bossa nova with that. the ewok feeling is there too :)

Anyone notice that on the Adult Swim show called "the Boondocks," the theme music for Uncle Ruckus in later seasons is just Jabba the Hutts theme with a few notes changed so they don't have to pay? I'd post a video but I doubt I'd find a clean youtube video where Uncle Ruckus isn't cursing or making horrible racist comments.

Hehe. Well I can read rule 2 also. :P If anyone wants to check it out, just go to youtube, type in "The Best Uncle Ruckus Moment" and click on the video. The theme plays from 0:09 to 0:42. There might be a cleaner version without the remarks but I haven't found one.

Hehe. Well I can read rule 2 also. :P If anyone wants to check it out, just go to youtube, type in "The Best Uncle Ruckus Moment" and click on the video. The theme plays from 0:09 to 0:42. There might be a cleaner version without the remarks but I haven't found one.

you could remove the voices from the clip....

The youtube clip itself is fine. You're just not allowed to say that stuff yourself to another member. But since the reason you're posting the clip is for us to hear the music, just post the clip.

The youtube clip itself is fine. You're just not allowed to say that stuff yourself to another member. But since the reason you're posting the clip is for us to hear the music, just post the clip.

Ah okay. Here you go. 0:09 to 0:42.

The theme plays in numerous episodes when he's on screen.

Love me some Uncle Ruckus. And there's actually some good music on that show... though the stolen Jabba's theme works nicely.

Is it true that there is a source cue for Vader's death in track 2 of the SE Return of the Jedi?

EDIT: Whereabouts to I split disc 1 track 11 of the ROTJ SE? I want to split it into its individual cues.

Is it true that there is a source cue for Vader's death in track 2 of the SE Return of the Jedi?

EDIT: Whereabouts to I split disc 1 track 11 of the ROTJ SE? I want to split it into its individual cues.

No. Originally, after the scene in the Death Star hangar, there was a scene in which Vader contacted Luke through the force (the famous deleted scene partially shown at Celebration V).

I have another question. Why does the SE of Return of the Jedi have the incorrect opening for the End Credits? The opening there clearly comes from The Empire Strikes Back (Don't get me wrong, it's great because I have the clean opening for the ESB credits)

It's certainly not the opening to the ROTJ end credits, which can be heard on the Anthology - it sounds exactly like the End Credits on disc 4 of the Anthology, mixed at the end of the Ewoks version of Ewok Celebration.

EDIT: Which tracks in the Anthology are incorrect for A New Hope?

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure I can post links to a scan of an article (probably not) but there was an interesting article about the restoration work done by Matt Wood on the original Star Wars. Basically, they went in and built the new 6.1 mix from scratch. They got the original effects files, the ADR sessions, and found "the original music masters." and then had to go seconds at a time to make sure they actually used the correct takes in all the new mix. I'd love to hear those masters.

Not sure I can post links to a scan of an article (probably not) but there was an interesting article about the restoration work done by Matt Wood on the original Star Wars. Basically, they went in and built the new 6.1 mix from scratch. They got the original effects files, the ADR sessions, and found "the original music masters." and then had to go seconds at a time to make sure they actually used the correct takes in all the new mix. I'd love to hear those masters.

Figures. The one time I want Lucas to capitalize. :(

If any admin or mod gives the thumbs up to post a mediafire link for just the relevant pages scanned from a magazine, I'll publicly post the link.

If any admin or mod gives the thumbs up to post a mediafire link for just the relevant pages scanned from a magazine, I'll publicly post the link.

Pm me! Please. :)

post away!

Just throwing it out there... I've heard that better sounding masters to the OT (especially Return of the Jedi) do exist in the hands of a few industry people. Whether we'll ever hear them is anyone's guess. It shouldn't come as a surprise considering the great quality on the "Musical Journey" DVD. But the claims that the muddled sound on the RotJ SE is all that remains of the original recordings are false.

Absolutely. All three original trilogy scores could sound a lot better than they do on the SE releases. I'm not necessarily a fan of all the mixing decisions on the DVD, but the sound quality is better across the board, and then there's the Anthology set, of course. If we're ever lucky enough to get a definitive re-release of these scores, my hope is that they'll have the sound quality they deserve.

• 4 months later...

For Return Of The Jedi, the search function is your friend....

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20007&view=findpost&p=709534

For Star Wars, there was one posted a long time ago but I think the previous OT Resource thread has since fallen off the forum.

20th Century Fox Fanfare

Star Wars Main TItle

The War

Escape Hatch

Desert Song

The Little People

Robot Auction

The Droids Are Sold

The Princess Appears

Binary Sunset

Lost R2 (Unused) - Original for Binary Sunset

Land Of The Sand People

Attack Of The Sand People

A Name Not Heard

Tales Of A Jedi Knight

The Princess' Message

Learn About The Force

The Return Home

A Hive Of Villainy

The Millennium Falcon

Blasting Off

Destruction Of Alderaan

Is It A Bird? (aka The Death Star)

The Stormtroopers

Mouse Robot

The Ambush

Rescue Of The Princess

Dianoga

The Walls Converge

Ben Creeps Around

The Swashbucklers

Ben's Death

Here They Come

Standing By

The Last Battle

Use The Force

The Throne Room

End Credits

That would be because it's not generated as much discussion as the Prequel music has - especially since the OT music is all pretty much available anyways, compared to the Prequel music.

I thought we'd already established that that list wasn't necessarily all original cue titles. Many of them are just track titles. Keep in mind that the Anthology set doesn't use the original cue titles for ANH. Unfortunately, most of the original cue titles remain unknown, which is really frustrating for me, as I've just finished an edit of the score, and I'd rather use the original titles.

If you want to know, probably best to just bring up the DVD (or DVD rip) and soundtrack side-by-side and compare, using the liner notes to guide you. I'm gonna do that someday for ROTJ.

• 4 weeks later...