John Williams' Clarinet Concerto

Figo

I never know what is going to post here or not!! Just wrote a big long message and it got all deleted when I hit PREVIEW - SUBMIT.

So the short version is:

This will soon be on Sonyconnect.com which is Sony's online site. I hope to get this Concerto Re-Recorded (with a master that doesn't get damaged this time!) and put on a major label eventually, but there has to be interest in the work for that to even begin to happen. This release is still completely "indie" - with connections (it's on Itunes now, soon Tower Records online, BestBuy online, and others. John did approve it for release.

I've contacted David privatelly, but since he hasn't replyed yet, I'll post here some questions reagrding this release:

Who played on the piano reduction version of the final movement? (I'm assuming Zukovsky did the Clarinet part, but who did the piano playing?)

What was the recording date and venue used for this?

And could you provide more information on the additonal performances of the piece (dates, venues, ensnembles, soloist and conductors)? As said before, we only know about the premiere performance.

Miguel, who only got the piano reduction track from iTunes.

• 2 months later...

still having one hell of a time with the cookies to post in this thread!!!!

I just wrote 2 paragraphs and they were deleted.

Trying again.......

Piano reduction was performed live with Michele at the Clarfest (Intl Clarinet Association) in Ghent Belguim in 1993. Williams conducted all of the performances with Michele as Clarinetist - no one else has performed this work. It was performed in Calif. as well as Boston but not sure how many times.

The master was a MESS - the distance in the recording sound was due to sound reduction which had to be done as there was a lot of distortion in the master.

btw - check out the Bartok on the recording. It is live also, but does sound great.

• 5 years later...

Can anyone explain what the best release is of the clarinet concerto, and what the deal is with the different releases?

- I think Miguel said the old mp3 release is slightly better than the noise-reduction-applied iTunes release because the orchestra is clearer. I remember that you could buy it on CD at that mp3 site, but is that CD lossless, or lossy (with the burnt mp3s)?

- There are two versions of it on iTunes with slightly differing track times, one dating back to december 2005, the other to november 2005. Any difference between the two?

- And then there it is on Amazon.com too, from 2010, with completely different track times I think.

I dunno, the recording is shit period. We need another one

I am sure Leonard Slatkin and Detroit Symphony Orchestra will record and release it in due time. They have been recording JWs concert works during the last few years and continue to do so.

I dunno, the recording is shit period. We need another one

Yeah, that. I hardly ever play it because of the abysmal sound quality.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Does anyone know why the sound quality on John Williams' Concerto is so bad on Michele Zukovsky's iTunes recording? There is a recording from 2010 on Amazon Digital which has samples that sound better but is a different album, and Williams' concerto is paired with different pieces.

it was kind of a bootleg recording that somehow got made into a commercial release

Yes. The original recording was a release from mp3.com and has dubious status at best.

But I'm not aware of any other recording?! Please enlighten us, Edward. Preferably with a link! I just went to iTunes myself, and saw that there were two albums with the concerto, but it's the same Zukovsky/mp3.com recording in both cases.

It's the same recording, with heavy noise reduction filters applied... to say that the sound is better on one of them it's a question of personal taste, I guess. I find both lacking in sound quality.

Also, I have serious doubts about the performing ensemble credited on those releases.

On 31/03/2015 at 4:40 AM, EdwardHall said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HQTBIK

The Clarinet Concerto are the last tracks on this CD as opposed to the iTunes CD where it is the first tracks.

Yeah, but it's the same recording -- the Michele Zukovsky recording from the mid 90s.

Oh. Miguel Andrade is correct three posts up, but I will still buy this 2010 recording because it's slightly less awful. Considering that some of Williams' concertos have been recorded multiple times it's a shame that the Clarinet Concerto has not received a decent recording.

Oh. Miguel Andrade is correct three posts up, but I will still buy this 2010 recording because it's slightly less awful. Considering that some of Williams' concertos have been recorded multiple times it's a shame that the Clarinet Concerto has not received a decent recording.

Agreed. But at least it HAS a recording. There are several of Williams' concert works that have no (commercial) recording whatsoever.

I'm not sure this can be called a commercial recording... I've always wondered if this is a bootleg or not, and recent releases proved that iTunes and Amazon digital are not immune to the bootleg business.

The early mp3.com release (sent away on a CD-R), with lots of background noise, was credited to the Bohemian Orchestra, an ensemble I never had herd about, and at the time, the only known performance was that of the premiere, with the Riverside County Orchestra, with Williams conducting, back in 1991.

One odd thing about that early release was that the earlier release failed to include the any movement names (with the exception of the cadenza, but that one is pretty obvious...). The later, cleaned up release, has the movement names added, but they do not match to the ones in a concert program from the Tanglewood première (and only other known performance of the work) in the summer of 1991. Those movement titles are:

I. Aria

II. Elegy

III. Burlesque

My guess, as good as anyone's else, is that the Tanglewood performance was broadcast by WCRB and this guy had it record and sold on mp3.com and later on iTunes and Amazon and so on. Of interest is that he later released the final movement in the piano reduction transcription:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mzjw

And from the Riverside Public Library site, on the history of the orchestra...

John Williams guest conducted on 13 April 1991, and during the concert, he premiered his work "Concerto for Clarinet."

And a not so nice review on the concert: http://articles.latimes.com/1991-04-15/entertainment/ca-91_1_john-williams

Any news on whether this concerto is in the works for the Naxos series of JW concert work recordings?

John Williams guest conducted on 13 April 1991, and during the concert, he premiered his work "Concerto for Clarinet."

And a not so nice review on the concert: http://articles.latimes.com/1991-04-15/entertainment/ca-91_1_john-williams

The critic seems to be a scathingly critical one in general based on that write-up. Or the orchestra was in a sorry form that evening.

Looks like this was written by KM!

Whatever one may think of them, at least Williams' ubiquitous film scores have a distinctly grandiose personality and flair, whereas this faceless concerto seems to go out of its way to avoid its creator's imprint.

I wonder if most concertos would get KM's brand of disapproval since they are not in JWs most personal idiom, with the disctinctly grandiose personality and flair.

Any news on whether this concerto is in the works for the Naxos series of JW concert work recordings?

The latest press release from earlier this year repeated that all Williams concerti would be recorded. I sure hope that means all of them, but you never know^. And it sounds like the project is a very long term one.

The latest press release from earlier this year repeated that all Williams concerti would be recorded. I sure hope that means all of them, but you never know^. And it sounds like the project is a very long term one.

Fingers crossed for the speedy recording of the Clarinet and Viola Concertos.

I thought the viola concerto was already available in an excellent production from the Boston Symphony orchestra.

EDIT: Never mind, I guess it was just a youtube version not a commercial one.

Yes, the viola concerto has not had a commercial recording at all (but at least its boot version is better-sounding than the clarinet concerto).

I feel contemporary classical music releases have become a rarity. I remember going to the CD stores searching through the shelves for new recordings that might intrigue me. I bought many a CD just on gut feeling. Where are the days?!

Alex

I feel contemporary classical music releases have become a rarity. I remember going to the CD stores searching through the shelves for new recordings that might intrigue me. I bought many a CD just on gut feeling. Where are the days?!

Alex

Gone away with the plummeting CD sales. CD stores are all but extinct here with few specilist shops carrying on the good fight but even the major department stores that used to have large CD sections and abundant selections of classical music are shutting down their music departments. I was lucky to find a specific recording of a work by Jean Sibelius last week as the local CD store's classical music section seemed pitifully barren.

We used to applaud for great musicianship but today DJs playing MP3s are the heroes. Is culture declining or is it merely evolving?

• 2 years later...

I just purchased a set of the concerto by Williams and Clarinet Quintet in A and Clarinet Contrasts on Amazon for $8.99.  They are performed live, but in good quality.  I have the Maestoso down below.

Link removed by Moderator

Hi Nate and welcome to the messageboard.

Regarding the embedded file however, as forum rules state, you can't share copyrighted material here:

07 - You may embed videos of - or include a link to sites that stream - copyrighted material. However, links to sites where copyrighted material can be illegally downloaded are not allowed. You may link to legal streaming/download sites or to places where people can listen to your own compositions or recordings, for example.

Thus I removed the download link from your post.

Damn, what a tease to see this old topic ressurected. I thought the concerto had FINALLY been recorded properly. Of course, I'm very curious about the version Nate downloaded, and if it is the same abysmal-sounding recording we've had for years....or something new??

• 5 months later...

OK, I have a dumb question with regard to the Clarinet Concerto recording that is on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004HQTBIK

Tracks 8 through 11 are JW's Clarinet Concerto, but who composed the other pieces on this album?  Are any of them Williams' works?  Deciding whether or not to buy the entire album or just the clarinet concerto.

I only know of two performances of the Clarinet Concerto, both conducted by Williams. The first in the LA area, that one being the premiere, with the Riverside County Philharmonic.

He also conducted the work at Tanglewood, in both time with Michele Zukovsky.

When this came out, I contacted the seller (who has a couple of post on this thread) and was told that the concert was performed more times, including that Bohemian Orchestra.

My best guess is that the Tanglewood date was broadcast and the release comes from there.

1 minute ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I only know of two performances of the Clarinet Concerto, both conducted by Williams. The first in the LA area, that one being the premiere, with the Riverside County Philharmonic.

He also conducted the work at Tanglewood, in both time with Michele Zukovsky.

When this came out, I contacted the seller (who has a couple of post on this thread) and was told that the concert was performed more times, including that Bohemian Orchestra.

My best guess is that the Tanglewood date was broadcast and the release comes from there.

Thanks, I never adjusted my discography in consequence... will be done next week-end.

Bespin, please note that the guy mentioned on this thread that the concerto was only performed in LA and Boston (as I said earlier, I think it was Tanglewood, but might be mistaken on that), and makes no reference to the Bohemian Orchestra. That name was used earlier probably to avoid lawsuits...

• 6 years later...

This new revised version makes the concert slightly longer than the previous known recording.

Now, looking forward to have it performed by Yeh and a pro orchestra.

By the way, the soloist was one of the members of the quartet that premiered the La Jolla Quartet.