"Fantasy" on JW Themes

djc242

Just posted a recording of an orchestra piece from 2003 that laced around 20 of JW themes together. This was an orchestration excercise and thought you all might like to hear it (although most of it was replicated by ear, goodness knows it violates a pleathora of copyrights - so it will never see real programming):

http://www.myspace.com/emergingcomposer

It should automatically play after a few moments of buffering. It'll be interesting to see what you all hear in it.

Daniel

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good from the fragmented bits I can hear of it.I hate crappy streaming audio players.Not everyone has a broadband connection.Any MP3 of this?

K.M.

Wow! How much did I love this? I've been toying around with the idea of putting together something similar to this myself, but I never seem to have the time. Good stuff.

Anthony

Wow! Oh that makes me regret I never took up studying music :) Great piece. Nice orchestrations too.

This will make me sound really ignorant, but I'll be honest with you. A lot of that sounded familiar but I couldn't place it. All I could place was the opening (and the piece right before the Star Wars finale?) being Superman, and the Star Wars references. What all did you use? It sounds great.

There was "Journey to the Island" from Jurassic Park as well as Hedwig's Theme B, Nimbus 2000 Theme, and Hogwart's Theme from Harry Potter that I can remember from the top of my head.

Thanks for the positive responses. Some appear more than once, so here's a list of the first uses chronologically:

Superman "Krypton"

Close Encounters 5-note "door chime"

American Journey VI. Flight and Technology theme

Jurassic Park "Journey to the Island"

JFK theme

Far and Away main theme

Summon the Heroes (a bass line)

Olympic Fanfare fragment

Catch Me If You Can "The Float" fragment

Call of the Champions

Hook "Prologue" theme

Empire of the Sun "Jim's New Life"

Harry Potter "Quidditch" fanfare

Harry Potter "Fawkes the Phoenix"

Jurassic Park theme fragment

Harry Potter "Hogwart's"

Harry Potter "Family Portrait"

Hook "flying" theme

Star Wars "Across the Stars"

Jaws motive

Angela's Ashes theme

Harry Potter "Hedwig's Theme"

E.T. "danger" motive

Seven Years in Tibet fragment

Star Wars "the Force"

Star Wars "Duel of the Fates"

Harry Potter "Quidditch" B section

Home Alone "Star of Bethlehem"

Star Wars "Yoda's Theme" fragment

Close Encounters "The Visitors/Bye/End Titles"

E.T. theme fragment

Superman theme

Far and Away secondary theme

Star Wars "Throne Room"

Some of those are only used as supportive counterpoint, but they're in there. :-)

-Daniel

Wow, this is great! I'm on Myspace, but not as a composer, just a hobby page. Great arrangement of themes!

~Tyler, who should make a Myspace music page once he has decent compositions...

Is this legal?

Making and playing arrangemnets yourself if legal. As soon as you're selling it, publishers' rights come in.

Daniel I finallky heard your arrangement and it is great. You have an exceptionally good sound memory I assume. I think from the use of counterpoint one can judge someones talent, you certainly have it :)

MSM - Haha LOL , "good sound memory" is a wonderful euphemism for having ingested large amounts of Williams' music far too frequently.

Well, I think one can never ingest too much Williams 8O But really, copying all that stuff by ear to make it sound (almost) like the original arrangements is amazing ;)