Heartbeeps

robthehand

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good. The electronics can be a little annoying, but the themes are really quite delightful. The villian theme is on par with his best, and the underscore is rarely ever uninteresting. Get it while it's still around.

Heartbeeps is a nice score. It does have that 80s synth sound, like something out of Hoosiers, but I don't mean to directly compare them, because they're nothing alike. It's not the kind of score that I listen to a lot, and only really sit down with it once every few months. But I definitely recommend it.

Tim

IT's good, but only in certain moods. When I was in the right mood, the Crimebuster theme, the love theme, and the Phil theme (I'm not sure if that's it's name- the cheery theme) are all wonderful. When I'm not, they all seem very cheezy, but in a lovable, endearing kind of way. Kind of like when Goldsmith goes a bit too far with the synths (If you know what I mean, which you probably do not) (oh, and cue Stefan with some witty comment on how even suggesting Goldsmith has ever gone too far with the synths is blasphemy).

I HATE the Crimebuster theme! In the sleeve notes of the Varese CD they compare the Crimebuster theme favourable to the Imperial March. I think that's just funny. Crimebuster is a very camp, mid-70s funk-style villain theme and highly embarassing.

Having said that I really love the rest of the score and would agree this is a must have in your collection. I enjoy the synthy stuff immensely, and it's an interesting departure for Williams. Tracks 1 and 2 are really nice. It sounds a lot like Williams just decided to have a good time on this score. Buy it!

(oh, and cue Stefan with some witty comment on how even suggesting Goldsmith has ever gone too far with the synths is blasphemy).

Well it is blasphemy :P

I like Heartbeeps too, it's a nice little score-- and I love "Crimebuster's Theme".

Crimebuster is a bit over the top,but there's plenty of quirky fun themes in there to make a Williams fan happy(Phil's theme,Projected Trip,Val's first Drive).There's also 2 nice love themes(The Love Scene,Val and Phil),and a gorgeous full choir cue rivalling CE3K(Going to sleep).

K.M.

It's definitely worth checking out. The love theme is particularly really good, and the other themes are a lot of fun. I like Crimebuster just fine; it's not on par with the Imperial March (that's a really lousy comparison anyway), but it doesn't try to be. It's just fun and catchy.

Ray Barnsbury

The score is a lot of fun and very different from anything he has done. Certainly worth getting for all die hard Williams fans.

• 6 months later...

I've just got this CD on eBay, and I must say it's a great surprise how much I like it. This one comes really recommended. It's also more orchestral than I had anticipated. I usually don't like that 80s synth bleeping sound (as in Goldsmith's unsuccessful 'successful' synth 'integrations') but it's -mostly- not annoying in this score at all. Worth ordering, and now that I have it it can go out of print, good for other releases. ;)

It is a wonderfully witty, charming and tuneful score, and extremely interesting as a textural departure, much like "Missouri Breaks"; it is a 'one-of-a-kind' offering.